Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Tales From the Loop - Amazon Original

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Tales From the Loop - Amazon Original

I'm surprised this doesn't have a thread yet. Anybody watching this? I'm only through Episode 3 so no spoilers, please.

Very brief synopsis from Amazon:
    Inspired by the wondrous paintings of Simon Stålenhag, Tales from the Loop explores the mind-bending adventures of the people who live above the Loop, a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe - making things previously relegated to science fiction, possible.
    Season 1 is 8 episodes, all dropped last week. Each episode is just under an hour and is mostly stand-alone although (so far through 3) each episode focuses on a character(s) very briefly introduced in the episode prior.

Slight NIN relation: Mark Romanek directed the first episode.

Simon Stålenhag's work: https://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Eh, it's aight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm three episodes in, too, and I'm really enjoying it. I was scared it would be a little light on story but I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased so far.

Excellent visuals obviously, but I'm really digging the episodic, almost anthology-esque approach. Good original score, too.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Eh, it's aight.
    You're not giving much here so I don't know what this is based on. If you say that based purely on episode 1 I'd recommend digging a bit further. I found eps 2 and 3 much more satisfying whereas 1 felt lacking despite incredible visuals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just finished the series. Generally good, lost me a little at times. The last two episodes are things of beauty.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Have I fried my brain cells or is this show boring?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Started watching Tales From the Loop a few days ago. Watched #2 last night. Really like many aspects of this show! Cinematography and artistic direction are top notch. But that would be fruitless without a good story line. And I think this series delivers an original, interesting, compelling, yet very unsettling story line.

All the answers are not provided. So much is left to the imagination. And from reviews I have read, that seems to hold true for the entire series. The show does not hold your hand and take you somewhere predefined. It simply presents a vignette of human experience in a surrealistic time and place.

When reading a book, your mind must fill in many details, such as visuals. Watching this show is similar to that, yet different. Visuals are provided, but you must fill in the blanks mentally. That might not make much sense, but it's the best way I can explain it.

Four thumbs up!