Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Really digging this new album Spinning Wheel. It's my new favorite!
    Agreed! But seriously, what the fuck, I already "paid" for this free music. When will I actually be able to download it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    This couldn't have possibly happened at a better time in my life. I needed it, and I know I'm not alone.
    I like the idea and duality of "I know I'm not alone" in times like these.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    I went through the checkout and well...the link provided does not work.
    any help?
    Stuck on "Authorizing Payment" page too? NIN.com hates me. Been trying to get an answer about my Vietnam soundtrack download for months now.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    Hey Jon, you used to have fonts for Ghosts I - IV, correct?

NINGhosts font (NINGhostsLight and NINGhostsLightCaps).

Still have it?
    I no longer have that big Ghosts archive that I did. The fonts were grabbed from someone else on the board at the time.

I can generate partial families using FontForge, but there are characters missing and the re-encode options don't look similar at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Stuck on "Authorizing Payment" page too? NIN.com hates me. Been trying to get an answer about my Vietnam soundtrack download for months now.
    yep.
    I did not want youtube to be the way to experience new NIN...but here we are...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Here in Europe both albums are now up on Spotify.
    Interesting to note that two songs titles are all in caps. What if these two are Watchmen outtakes? Those tracks were all in caps, too.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Not in Spotify here, got stuck on the "Authorizing Payment" page, used the We transfer links instead.

About to listen to this, seems is a perfect "Home Office" soundtrack...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-26-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I wonder if the all-caps tracks are Watchmen outtakes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The download link is not working for me. it keeps on checking payment confirmation from shopify. probably the site just collapsed...

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Listened to both albums on and off all day, especially Together on heavier rotation...

It's really beautiful work, but I'll be honest, it got me really sad. I've been really careful not to let my emotions get away from me, and I kinda let my guard down, and this soundscape got me in a little bit of a depressed mood. I had to put on some Pet Shop Boys and shit like that to drag me back
    It's too perfect of a soundtrack to the end of the world.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Listened to V and on first listen I'm already really enjoying it. It hits a lot harder emotionally than Ghosts I-IV and is uplifting and calming/comforting in a strange way. I feel like TR/AR almost made this for their kids to play as calming going to sleep music. Super excited for the next part!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I haven't yet had a chance to dig into this yet but what I've heard on Together has been amazing. Thank you, @teitan and Atticus, if you're lurking. I had a suspicion, at some point, you guys were going to drop some new stuff out of the blue but I had no idea it would be two-and-a-half-plus hours and certainly not for free. Many thanks!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I feel calmer now.

This is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, Your Touch is amazing.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Ghosts V" is so calm but also unsettling.

Now let's check "Ghosts VI"...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My speculation is that Together was the big reveal from SXSW that was cancelled. I don't doubt that Locusts was recorded more recently.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Listened to both and just finished listening to Together again. I'm in a weird, somewhat discomfited position right now because I'm not sure exactly how I feel about these! They occupy a very different place from typical Nine Inch Nails material, or Trent and Atticus's scores. Hell, they represent something entirely different than even the previous Ghosts release, despite the titles implying some sort of continuity. Beyond being instrumental releases, they are nothing alike. Ghosts I-IV had only numbers for track titles, but even still, each track had such a specific identity that I can remember each just from its number. But V and VI are so much more loose and long-form, with the style and tone way more consistent throughout even between the two specifically differentiated albums. Almost every track becomes a hazy landscape of sound that is explored obsessively before seamlessly bleeding into the next. It's background music, far more so than any of their soundtracks have ever been (though perhaps Waves, which I'm waiting to see before listening to the music, fits that bill). Every time new NIN is released I give it a dedicated listen (it's practically a religious ritual) and I felt so weird and deflated after listening to these in that context because they were basically designed for the exact opposite purpose. I'd go as far as saying Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts VI: Locusts are the first truly ambient Nine Inch Nails albums.

It represents terrific work from the two, but its presence for me is felt much more tonally and emotionally than musically. Ninety percent of Ghosts V-VI is slow, depressive music (usually based around a trudging piano melody) with minute variations and little-to-no percussion over double-digit track lengths. Track to track, it conjures powerful feelings but musically has not lit up my brain and does not instill in me the kind of obsessive desire to listen again and again that their work always has in the past, whether it's Nine Inch Nails or score material. In that sense, I can't help but feel kind of disappointed, because I'm so used to their music imprinting itself on me in a way I feel may not happen with these albums. But in these awful, terrifying times, I am grateful that my favorite artists are sharing so much material with us for free, and the sentiment of their message and intent is remarkably moving.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 03-26-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    Listened to both and just finished listening to Together again. I'm in a weird, somewhat discomfited position right now because I'm not sure exactly how I feel about these! They occupy a very different place from typical Nine Inch Nails material, or Trent and Atticus's scores. Hell, they represent something entirely different than even the previous Ghosts release, despite the titles implying some sort of continuity. Beyond being instrumental releases, they are nothing alike. Ghosts I-IV had only numbers for track titles, but even still, each track had such a specific identity that I can remember each just from its number. But V and VI are so much more loose and long-form, with the style and tone way more consistent throughout even between the two specifically differentiated albums. Almost every track becomes a hazy landscape of sound that is explored obsessively before seamlessly bleeding into the next. It's background music, far more so than any of their soundtracks have ever been (though perhaps Waves, which I'm waiting to see before listening to the music, fits that bill). Every time new NIN is released I give it a dedicated listen (it's practically a religious ritual) and I felt so weird and deflated after listening to these in that context because they were basically designed for the exact opposite purpose. I'd go as far as saying Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts VI: Locusts are the first truly ambient Nine Inch Nails albums.

It represents terrific work from the two, but its presence for me is felt much more tonally and emotionally than musically. Ninety percent of Ghosts V-VI is slow, depressive music (usually based around a trudging piano melody) with minute variations and little-to-no percussion over double-digit track lengths. Track to track, it conjures powerful feelings but musically has not lit up my brain and does not instill in me the kind of obsessive desire to listen again and again that their work always has in the past, whether it's Nine Inch Nails or score material. In that sense, I can't help but feel kind of disappointed, because I'm so used to their music imprinting itself on me in a way I feel may not happen with these albums. But in these awful, terrifying times, I am grateful that my favorite artists are sharing so much material with us for free, and the sentiment of their message and intent is remarkably moving.
    I completely agree, I'm a bit disappointed and actually found myself skipping a few tracks

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Your Touch and Still Right Here are early favorites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As an artistic piece of work, this far surpasses the first volumes of Ghosts. Those are a collection of off-cuts, samples, leavings and left over ideas that didn't make the cut. Brilliant though it was, it was never an album for me.

V & VI are more complete pieces of work. Worthy of listening to in order (Old school style. Headphones on. Crossed legged. Analyzing the album art).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Never was a gigantic fan of Ghosts I-IV but enjoyed them as the freebies they were. I will download this and listen properly whenever the website decides it wants to respond to my download request. Servers must still be flooded.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Good to know perfectly working links in this thread won't stop people from bitching about nin.com!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    If you go to your order link, rather than the download, you see this message now:

DUE TO OVERWHELMING DEMAND FOR GHOSTS V: TOGETHER AND GHOSTS VI: LOCUSTS, PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE THE SYSTEM PROCESSES YOUR ORDER AND SENDS YOUR DOWNLOAD LINK – PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ADDITIONAL ORDERS. REST ASSURED WE HAVE YOUR ORDER AND YOUR DOWNLOAD WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON. IN THE MEANTIME, FEEL FREE TO LISTEN TO THE FREE STREAM ON YOUTUBE:
    https://nin.lnk.to/GhostsYT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i know these were just released and we don't have anything in the way of stems, but i wonder if these 2 volumes are under a CC license like I-IV.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Deacon Blackfire , I feel like most of it is straight up ambient music, you know?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I saved an image I found funny to my desktop and realized it was situated right by the Ghosts folders and it works too well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The drums in Run Like Hell are very similar to some of the percussion in Taken from TF Deviations (go to 1m46s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    May have missed this, but what is the betting line that Locusts is secretly the soundtrack to "The Woman in the Window?"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    May have missed this, but what is the betting line that Locusts is secretly the soundtrack to "The Woman in the Window?"
    Didn’t they turn that music in and therefore be caught up in rights ownership issues?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    It was one of the only comments on the ninhotline facebook, when i saw the album announcement

I don't know anything about "The Woman in the Window" at all I don't usually venture into those threads any more, but having listened to these with the idea that they may be a soundtrack in mind... It didn't *feel* like their soundtracks exactly. It felt like Ghosts with direction.