Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Also some of the best scores on RateYourMusic in a while

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It astounds me how many more people seem to prefer "Together." It is a strange day when such melodic (and in my opinion, more ominous than "Locusts") music outweighs the groove. I am glad that through these times, albeit working form home for me for the government, I can obsess about NIN.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    It’s funny that while some fans are bitching about those records... they’ve become the best reviewed NIN records in a long while, with the highest ever score for them in Metacritic (with only 8 reviews though)
    And I really hate it when people have legitimate criticisms on a piece of work and people just pass it off as "bitching". If other critics like it and its getting acclaim then good, that's not a problem and i don't have a problem with that. People have different musical taste and i will always defend a good review, be it negative or positive. I'm not saying that you think I was "bitching", but it sure does come off as it since i was one of the few people that didn't like that album, but I thought i was fair with my viewing on it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I posted info about these on the IORR (Stones fan) site & picked up a new fan or 2 for Trent. NIN would be out of the wheelhouse of a lot of people there but a few have tried these out & liked them. These are guys who most likely stopped at HLAH or Closer. The new Ghosts would tend to be a real eye/ear opener for people like that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    And I really hate it when people have legitimate criticisms on a piece of work and people just pass it off as "bitching". If other critics like it and its getting acclaim then good, that's not a problem and i don't have a problem with that. People have different musical taste and i will always defend a good review, be it negative or positive. I'm not saying that you think I was "bitching", but it sure does come off as it since i was one of the few people that didn't like that album, but I thought i was fair with my viewing on it.
    That’s fair honestly. I’m sorry

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    That’s fair honestly. I’m sorry

its all good. No harm done on my end

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It’s funny that while some fans are bitching about those records... they’ve become the best reviewed NIN records in a long while, with the highest ever score for them in Metacritic (with only 8 reviews though)
    Pitchfork continues their great streak of poo-pooing NIN records, so that must mean these are great.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Pitchfork continues their great streak of poo-pooing NIN records, so that must mean these are great.
    Wait what? Their reviews are very positive

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    These are quite nice, in a casual, passive way. It's one thing when a new traditional NIN drops and there are lyrics to analyze and hi-tempo songs to jam to, but here we have 2 full-length mostly ambient experiences. I wouldn't say they lack impact, it's just difficult to discuss every track in depth when much of it feels like a singular experience.

They're great. Of course I particularly like Run Like Hell and TURN THIS OFF PLEASE as I'm a sucker for slamming drums and Quake vibes. Still enjoying!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    I wouldn't call a 7.7 and 6.7 "bad"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have listened to Together and Locusts a few time now. The music is not unlikable, but it seems like something is missing. Perhaps my mind is supposed to fill in the blanks, and simply can't right now due to stress? I realize that was sort of an vague statement but it's the best way I can find to describe it.

One fairly specific thing I noticed is quite odd, and may simply be due to my current mental state. But several of the tracks (sorry did not make a note of which ones) cause me to completely lose the ability to do math. I was working on taxes today, and found myself unable to process the numbers during a few tracks. Perhaps there was something in the rhythm? My OCD mandates that I count the beats in music, so perhaps that's it?

It was a strange experience. While doing the taxes I also listened to other music including everything from ambient to electro swing to Code Orange. Nothing seriously affected my concentration except for Ghosts V and VI. A very strange experience.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wasn’t too phased by these albums upon release, but V: Together has really revealed itself to me over the past few days. We’ve got a long time to let these albums sink in, let them wash over you a while.
    VI: Locusts is proving to be an uncomfortable, yet intriguing listen. I’m quite fascinated by it. Particularly The Worriment Waltz all the way through to Your New Normal. That’s a huge stretch of really captivating, thought provoking music. Overall, I prefer V more as a whole, flowing piece. It’s fucking gorgeous. That moment on Together (the song) @ 7:30 where those synths begin to wash into the music makes my hair stand on end. Like sunshine slipping through thick grey cloud.

It also just hit me that Apart is a reference to the very first Ghosts track from 2008. Apart @ 5:15 = 01 Ghosts I @ 0:49. Thought that was a really cool nod.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    .It also just hit me that Apart is a reference to the very first Ghosts track
    I realized just a few days ago that "Locusts" album name is most likely a direct reference to Burning Bright's lyric;

Oh burn, motherfucker
    Carry the carcass and throw it on
    Pull up a chair and watch
    The flies come roaring out
    And will surround the entire world
    And blacken out the sky and every last one of you
    Like a plague of locusts
    Like an exit, like an end, like an end, like an end, like the end

Seeing how this lyric is describing a world-ending scenario, I don't think it's that far-off to think this is what it's referencing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I think the most compelling evidence of the lack of impact this material may be having is that this thread is only 14 pages long at this point. And thats with everyone sitting home with nothing better to do.
    I think it has a lot to do with the fact that this is probably the most unfriendly NIN ever will be also the fact that most people probably aren't interested in pure Ambiet albums and there's nothing wrong with that, but when it comes to Ambient these are incredibly solid strong Ambient/Dark Ambient albums

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I realized just a few days ago that "Locusts" album name is most likely a direct reference to Burning Bright's lyric;

Seeing how this lyric is describing a world-ending scenario, I don't think it's that far-off to think this is what it's referencing, right?

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that this is probably the most unfriendly NIN ever will be also the fact that most people probably aren't interested in pure Ambiet albums and there's nothing wrong with that, but when it comes to Ambient these are incredibly solid strong Ambient/Dark Ambient albums
    I thought it was referring to signs of the apocalypse. Seas turning to blood, moon turning black, locusts, etc. Or the plagues leveled against the Pharaoh.
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 04-03-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Super thankful for the 320kbps versions but I'm hoping they'll release the FLAC versions sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I finally got a chance to sit down with this and a pair of headphones. My initial thoughts are 1. I think Hope We Can Again is my favorite track from the pair of albums. The pair of note progressions are just so fucking soothing and satisfying. 2. Locusts wasn't quite as abrasive as I'd expected, especially after reading some of the comments here. After one solid listen of each album: 2 thumbs up.

But I can't help but think the "Ghosts" title is a bit out of place. Ghosts 1-4, to me, is a collection of vignettes (for lack of a better term) whereas 5 and 6 are full-on compositions. A different vibe. Ultimately it doesn't matter what I think. I'm thankful for new music to distract me from this current weirdness.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    But I can't help but think the "Ghosts" title is a bit out of place. Ghosts 1-4, to me, is a collection of vignettes (for lack of a better term) whereas 5 and 6 are full-on compositions.
    I guess "Ghosts" is now gonna be a term for instrumental album releases?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Maybe. To be clear: I don't really care what they're called. Just a thought I had. Gimme all the music.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I realized just a few days ago that "Locusts" album name is most likely a direct reference to Burning Bright's lyric
    Because Burning Bright is one of my favorite tracks ever, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the album titles. I also agree that any lack of interest compared to a "normal" NIN release stems from the fact these are instrumental and mostly without beats. I hesitate to label them as completely ambient but they definitely sit well along other works from the genre. I think its too bad for the folks not enjoying them. That's just the nature of art though, something either clicks with you or it doesn't. They can't help that they don't dig it anymore than I can help that I find the music compelling. It probably helps that I listen to ambient and instrumental albums often. A great instrumental/ambient/soundscape type record isn't usually as immediate as other genres and that's ok. I'm glad TR & AR just seem to do whatever the fuck they want. I hope they always just release the stuff they like. The more the merrier I say

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    That was always the intention behind them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Because Burning Bright is one of my favorite tracks ever, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the album titles. I also agree that any lack of interest compared to a "normal" NIN release stems from the fact these are instrumental and mostly without beats. I hesitate to label them as completely ambient but they definitely sit well along other works from the genre. I think its too bad for the folks not enjoying them. That's just the nature of art though, something either clicks with you or it doesn't. They can't help that they don't dig it anymore than I can help that I find the music compelling. It probably helps that I listen to ambient and instrumental albums often. A great instrumental/ambient/soundscape type record isn't usually as immediate as other genres and that's ok. I'm glad TR & AR just seem to do whatever the fuck they want. I hope they always just release the stuff they like. The more the merrier I say
    It definitely is also a mix of other genres, I hear a lot of Drone in them with Locusts having some really Industrial tracks, perhaps the closest the band will ever get to pure Industrial since Fixed, some stuff on it remind me of stuff like Coil, Throbbing Gristle and Nurse With Wound, the entire record actually encouraged me to listen to these old-school Industrial acts more once I realized how much I was enjoying it. Also there are plenty of Jazzy elements from Bad Witch as well scattered around.

And it is completely understandable with people not getting the feel for these records, all of the genres Locusts/Together dabble in aren't for everyone and I don't mean to mock anyone for not caring about them, we all have our reasons for listening to Nine Inch Nails and for a lot of people it isn't the side Locusts/Together present. I am not going to say that it is a qquestion of patience, you either like Ambient/Dark Ambient/Drone or you don't, naturally people may also feel like these are just poor Ambient records which I personally strongly disagree with but it is also a genuine opinion to hold, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That was always the intention behind them.
    Yeah, I don't even know why I felt the need to write that, sorry, I was REALLY tired.
    Last edited by HWB; 04-04-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Super thankful for the 320kbps versions but I'm hoping they'll release the FLAC versions sooner rather than later.

I don't know how legit these are but there are FLAC versions up on [Removed]. They sound great to me but I"m half deaf in 1 ear, haha. Paying the cost...

Mod Edit: Likely violating copyright laws. There is no indication that NIN have released this under a Creative Commons license, unlike Ghosts I-IV.
    Last edited by TheBang; 04-04-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: link removed

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Please don't post links to FLAC downloads. The only place that NIN have legally provided these albums for free is the 320 Kbps MP3 bundle download on store.nin.com. If you want any other formats, you'll have to seek them out on various retail platforms and pay the asking price.

16/44 FLAC downloads are available for purchase from TIDAL:

https://store.tidal.com/us/album/135451451
    https://store.tidal.com/us/album/135461622

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Please don't post links to FLAC downloads. The only place that NIN have legally provided these albums for free is the 320 Kbps MP3 bundle download on store.nin.com. If you want any other formats, you'll have to seek them out on various retail platforms and pay the asking price.

16/44 FLAC downloads are available for purchase from TIDAL:

https://store.tidal.com/us/album/135451451
    https://store.tidal.com/us/album/135461622
    Thanks! I alreadly bought these albums off Google Play but I don't mind doing so again.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    BTW, the real artwork was revealed:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    BTW, the real artwork was revealed:

these albums are just the "i can be your angle or yuor devil" meme taken way too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    [...] My initial thoughts are 1. I think Hope We Can Again is my favorite track from the pair of albums. The pair of note progressions are just so fucking soothing and satisfying. [...]
    I agree HWCA is beautiful, at the very least in idea. I'm interested, though, how do you perceive 3:00-4:25?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've listened to both of them now. I very much enjoyed that both albums are primarily longer compositions. I enjoyed the extended sprawling feel to them. Together is the personal favorite. Locusts has been more difficult to get into. Probably because I'm putting a lot of effort into reducing feelings of dread and anxiety. Locusts was running directly counter to what I've been trying to focus on feeling.

Like others have said, and I mean this as just an observation (not positive or negative), it seems very apparent that Locusts is at least foundationally based on the scrapped Woman In The Window score. Glad we got to hear it. Very surreal listen. In a different circumstance, I may be able to go deeper into it.

Together has a beauty that felt needed, genuine and important. I went out into the woods and was able to sit with this incredibly strange, saddening, unnerving situation we've all found ourselves in and just feel and process for awhile. That experience really reinforced why music can be so integral and important. It was a great listen.
    Last edited by Sequenteon; 04-06-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualis_Dolor View Post
    I agree HWCA is beautiful, at the very least in idea. I'm interested, though, how do you perceive 3:00-4:25?
    It doesn't bother me and I say that as someone with mild tinnitus. But I can understand why it bothers some people.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    on a scale of 1 to where does this fall for you?