Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice Zero Sum melody nod in Still Right Here (from 3:05 onwards). I listened to these new Ghosts a few times more and I am beginning to enjoy and like them. Togetehr feels more like Ghost or Still, a lot of melancholy, while Locusts feels like a score. Not bad, tho. Thanks Trent and Atticus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    on a scale of 1 to Ventolin where does this fall for you?
    For some reason that listen was rather pleasant to me...hmm...could've been the more lo-fi YT audio that suppresses the tone, though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I remember listening to it at high volumes back when it was released and I was in a college dorm. people got mad at me for it but I found the song soothing for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    16/44 FLAC downloads are available for purchase from TIDAL:
    I really don't understand why they don't sell lossless downloads at their own site and instead leave this to TIDAL et al. I'd be much more happy to pay NIN directly for this instead of going through a third party. (And those third party sites don't even sell the same quality encodes!)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    on a scale of 1 to where does this fall for you?
    Fine but I wouldn't call it soothing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJM View Post
    I really don't understand why they don't sell lossless downloads at their own site and instead leave this to TIDAL et al. I'd be much more happy to pay NIN directly for this instead of going through a third party. (And those third party sites don't even sell the same quality encodes!)
    Exclusivity is a bitch.

Also, come on, NIN's site is awful for purchasing, no one should wish for it. It should be available from HDtracks though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really like the new ghost music, I listen to them while I work! I totally forgot about the ghost set I have, need to listen to all of them again!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJM View Post
    I imagine they will eventually.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Fine but I wouldn't call it soothing.
    ikr? I have no idea. there's a remix ep that has a version where it's worse and that one gets to me.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ikr? I have no idea. there's a remix ep that has a version where it's worse and that one gets to me.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    i was gonna ask if you've heard that version haha

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    I imagine they will eventually.
    I'm wondering if we'll see a full, physical release along with VII and VIII maybe.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm wondering if we'll see a full, physical release along with VII and VIII maybe.
    I fully expect physical once the world puts the fire out, but I dunno about 7 and 8. This is already a 2-3 CD and 4-5 LP set as it is with just V and VI.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Also, come on, NIN's site is awful for purchasing, no one should wish for it. It should be available from HDtracks though
    Honestly, I don't know why it's such an issue these days. I mean, I can get on Bandcamp and buy an artist's album in a variety of formats with ease, but if I want the new Nine Inch Nails album or Trent & Atticus score, I have to jump through all these virtual hoops to get it. It's a little more understandable with the scores since the studios decide where it can be bought from, but when I think back on the releases for Ghosts I-IV and The Slip, it seemed like it was a lot easier to buy and/or download back then.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Locusts has pretty varied stuff to it, "Run Like Hell", "When It Happens" "Another Crashed Car", "Your New Normal", "Turn This Off Please" - are by far the scariest tracks for me, they feel very intense and chilling for me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    NIN on Bandcamp would be great

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Why in the world would you think we're going to get a volume VII and VIII right now? Together and Locusts alone are the same size as the first four volumes and much more developed. Did they suggest this somewhere?
    Because I'm a hungry, hungry whore who is never satisfied. Probably.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    NIN on Bandcamp would be great
    Bandcamp. Would. MELT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Why in the world would you think we're going to get a volume VII and VIII right now? Together and Locusts alone are the same size as the first four volumes and much more developed. Did they suggest this somewhere?
    Because we were promised a new NIN album this year with a suggested release/tour Q3/Q4, additionally the narrative of the release of V/VI is that it was created within the last month, so yeah, I'm expecting more NIN this year, not necessarily Ghosts, in fact I hope it's not. I don't think the material is the basis for a tour.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the Ghosts sequence on the LITS tour.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    Because we were promised a new NIN album this year with a suggested release/tour Q3/Q4...
    That was before the world got hit with a pandemic, so me thinks a change of plans wouldn't be out of the question.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Also, someone pointed out that TR doesn't have a studio in his house anymore. I mean, he can pull a Year Zero and record on a laptop, but yeah.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Man, that’s weird and somehow disappointing. I know it’s all about my conception of the man, which has nothing to do with reality but, in my head, Trent has always had a studio in his home. In my head, it’s super-integral to his nature. I have no idea where or when I came up with that notion, but it’s been there since I can remember.
    I agree. I've always thought of him the exact same way.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Man, that’s weird and somehow disappointing. I know it’s all about my conception of the man, which has nothing to do with reality but, in my head, Trent has always had a studio in his home. In my head, it’s super-integral to his nature. I have no idea where or when I came up with that notion, but it’s been there since I can remember.
    This is the interview in Revolver where the studio is discussed - I’m sure he must have SOME means of making music though, just not the full whack
    https://www.revolvermag.com/music/re...t-trent-reznor

"When I was a bachelor, whatever house I was living in was the studio with a bed in the corner," says Reznor. "[Now] there's kids and maybe they don't feel like hearing that drumbeat all day long."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I don't have a problem of Trent not having a studio in his home. I don't see how that makes music less integral in his life; really all he needs a keyboard/laptop and guitar if he wants to work out an idea. I'm just glad he's out there making music and also enjoying his family. Good for him.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I don't have a problem of Trent not having a studio in his home. I don't see how that makes music less integral in his life; really all he needs a keyboard/laptop and guitar if he wants to work out an idea. I'm just glad he's out there making music and also enjoying his family. Good for him.
    We were only talking about that because of speculating if the new NIN promised for 2020 could actually still happen now. There could be some stuff already done pre-pandemic, but I have my doubts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My cats reeeeeeally don't like the last couples of minutes of Apart, holy shit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    My cats reeeeeeally don't like the last couples of minutes of Apart, holy shit.
    Play them the outro of Corona Radiata to calm them down!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    We were only talking about that because of speculating if the new NIN promised for 2020 could actually still happen now. There could be some stuff already done pre-pandemic, but I have my doubts.
    Was it ever "promised" though? Seemed like Trent was telling us that it may not happen in the first place, in 2020 even? I don't remember Trent saying it'd be this year.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Listened again to the new Ghosts when finishing taxes today. Found it to be much more enjoyable and relatable than previous listens. I doubt it was because my overall state of mind has improved, because it has not. It seems that familiarity has generated acceptance and perhaps understanding. It's strange how emotionally complex music can do that.

A few tracks still screwed with my ability to do math. The end portion of Ghosts V: Apart was very distracting, to put it mildly. Ghosts VI: Worriment Waltz, Just Breathe, and Turn This Off Please mandated a temporary halt to progress on the taxation formulas.

I really think it's something to do with the time signature. Even ambient music has rhythm and beat, even if it's somewhat buried at times. My brain requires that I count those beats, and when that becomes very difficult I suppose that the math part of my brain is overloaded.

Yes, this all sounds like complete rubbish! But it is very real to me, and I suspect others may have similar experiences. It's really hard to fathom that I am that unique, or weird!

The SONAR sounds near the end of Ghosts VI: Worriment Waltz were ethereal yet disturbing.
    Last edited by zero; 04-10-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: edited to remove mysterious title

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Was it ever "promised" though? Seemed like Trent was telling us that it may not happen in the first place, in 2020 even? I don't remember Trent saying it'd be this year.
    I guess "promised" was the wrong word. I would say "proposed."