Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    thanks dudes! im actually over it already, thanks to the 2.5 waiting period for my results..

has any other member tested positive?
    What were your symptoms and how long did they last? Any lingering effects that you are aware of that don't seem right?
    This virus attacks in strange ways. Some people just get a headache or a dry cough and others are on their death bed. Everybody seems to react differently to it. Would be nice to know why it's so random.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @Jinsai So much small talk is superficial and so much of that stuff is absent. Idk about you, but I'm much more reflective than usual which doesn't help.

I like your idea of making an effort to talk when out and it's a great approach to dealing with it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    There's been twice when my boss has asked me - via Teams, lol - how I was doing and I almost asked him if he really wanted to know how I was doing so I understand where you're coming from.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Munn View Post

I like your idea of making an effort to talk when out and it's a great approach to dealing with it.
    And when I go out I'm not chatting, i'm really just making sure I say things like "thank you very much, have a good day" or to call up a friend and talk about how they're doing. I found for a bit there I wasn't really using my vocal chords at all, and it was strange to only "talk via typing." Which is probably something I've been doing too much of since this whole thing started.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I have found that I look people in the eye more because of the masks, probably because of the decrease in facial cues.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I have found that I look people in the eye more because of the masks, probably because of the decrease in facial cues.
    White or ambient noise really impacts my hearing so I often rely on looking at people's mouths when conversing. Face to face communication with masks sucks for me.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    At this point I feel like the COVID-deniers could die from it. Like, actually be dead, and you ask them, “so, do you believe it now?”. And they’ll still say no.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    At this point I feel like the COVID-deniers could die from it. Like, actually be dead, and you ask them, “so, do you believe it now?”. And they’ll still say no.
    "I didn't become deathly ill until I was forced to go to the hospital. Everyone knows that's where you get MRSA."

Goalposts move at a light jog these days.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    What were your symptoms and how long did they last? Any lingering effects that you are aware of that don't seem right?
    This virus attacks in strange ways. Some people just get a headache or a dry cough and others are on their death bed. Everybody seems to react differently to it. Would be nice to know why it's so random.
    first, July 4th, i was incredibly tired..i figured it was from over working myself and finally having a day off, but i slept all day..july 5th i woke up for work and immediately felt like death, totally congested, fever, lethargic, my body ached, sneezing, occasional cough...honestly, it felt like a sinus infection, but the fever/fatigue/muscle aches gave me the impression it wasnt.. i ended up sleeping all day, occasionally waking up with a cold sweat. and just no energy. it wasn't until a week later that i realized i also completely loss my sense of smell.

may be unrelated: but a few days before i got sick, i was having a stabbing pain right under my last rib...it was pretty painful that i debated on going to the hospital but didn't cause I'm stubborn.. my partner shared an article that patients my age also experience a pain in their abdomen, so im not sure if it was related or not.

edit: the fever and head cold lasted a few days, i ended up taking sutafed nearly everyday, i think that helped.. the fatigue / muscle aches lasted two weeks.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so it turns out it was definitely my T-blocker that was causing the extreme dizziness (i've been off it for a couple days now and the feeling has almost completely dissipated). just got back from picking up a different medication from the pharmacy. fingers crossed that this one works without causing me to almost fall over all the time!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Worrying because my sister's not well. Started on Tuesday, she thought it might be heat stroke as the weather was very very hot there (Caribbean). Body pains, headache on and off, slight breathless, nausea and loss of taste. Main thing now is weakness from not feeling to eat as nothing has any taste. Where my mum and sister live they have very low infection rate and no deaths, but I am still worried as if my sister and mum were over here (UK) they would be high risk. As a carer for my Dad who has Parkinsons dementia I have been very careful and hardly going out and not going into shops, not helped as UK government have managed this very badly. Feck this virus to hell!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Worrying because my sister's not well. Started on Tuesday, she thought it might be heat stroke as the weather was very very hot there (Caribbean). Body pains, headache on and off, slight breathless, nausea and loss of taste. Main thing now is weakness from not feeling to eat as nothing has any taste. Where my mum and sister live they have very low infection rate and no deaths, but I am still worried as if my sister and mum were over here (UK) they would be high risk. As a carer for my Dad who has Parkinsons dementia I have been very careful and hardly going out and not going into shops, not helped as UK government have managed this very badly. Feck this virus to hell!
    hope your sister feels better soon. glad she's not in a high-risk area.

i feel like the US and the UK are making all the worst choices right now and it's just not fair to the people who are doing their best and taking all the necessary precautions.

speaking of which, our (relatively new) upstairs neighbors sound like they have a couple friends over and are partying. which makes me super uncomfortable because i don't want random people in our apartment building. and also it's after midnight at this point and they only started being loud an hour ago, which means they probably won't be stopping for a while.

i would kill to have two friends over to watch a movie and have tacos or something but it's so much more important to do everything we can to avoid the spread of this virus than it is to hang out with people we miss. there's too many people being selfish and stupid and it fucking pisses me off.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    waking up to several friend posting photos of their kids going back to school in a near by county. it’s upsetting for me for several reasons. one being that the local officials in that county aren’t looking out for people. another reason is i’m jealous that my kids won’t be going to school any time soon. a third reason is that no matter how much i stay home, there are people who aren’t. how long does this pattern last? when will it be safe? does anyone care? my one friend thinks it’s an individual choice. like “you do your thing and they do theirs” but that doesn’t work for highly contagious diseases. others people actions are affecting my life and there’s no end in sight.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    waking up to several friend posting photos of their kids going back to school in a near by county. it’s upsetting for me for several reasons. one being that the local officials in that county aren’t looking out for people. another reason is i’m jealous that my kids won’t be going to school any time soon. a third reason is that no matter how much i stay home, there are people who aren’t. how long does this pattern last? when will it be safe? does anyone care? my one friend thinks it’s an individual choice. like “you do your thing and they do theirs” but that doesn’t work for highly contagious diseases. others people actions are affecting my life and there’s no end in sight.
    That’s really horrible. Our daughter only missed a month or six weeks of school but is back now. Fortunately, we’ve moved in to a place that is literally directly across the road from her school. It takes us about a minute and a half to get her in the gate each morning. Very fortunate there.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Play a game of Magic.
    Maybe we should have a zoom tourney on ETS. I'd need to dig out my cards and put together a deck...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'd gladly hangout, but I don't have a deck.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the album i'm working on finishing has (surprise) 4 songs and is about 37 minutes long. while they're mostly screamy songs, i wanted some clean vocal passages and i really don't love my singing voice most of the time, and wanted something more "feminine" sounding. i recorded some scratch singing vocals in there just to give some melody ideas for whoever was going to replace them.

so originally, my friend sarah (not my wife) expressed interest in doing vocals for all four songs, then later recanted (without remembering the initial offer, apparently?) but said she could still do two songs.
    so my friend nina, my longest-running musical collaborator, said she could do the other two. awesome.

since this new album is going to be released physically (bundled with "monstrous existence"), my label needs 3 months to do PR and manufacturing, and i want it out before the end of the year.
    over the weekend, i checked in with nina (who has two small children and is working from home as a full-time editor for various things, including the show Duncanville) to see if she'd be able to get me vocals before the end of the month. she very honestly said probably not, so i should just plan on working on them without her, but that if she could, she'd let me know and it would be a nice surprise. so i said, "no problem! thanks for letting me know!"

on monday, i replaced my clean singing vocals in those two songs with screams, and they sound pretty good.

at the end of the day, i e-mailed sarah to just double check that she'd be good with getting me vocals for the other two songs before the end of the month, and she said she'd have them to me before the end of next week. awesome.

then i get an e-mail tonight that she's literally dropping out of all creative projects and stepping completely out of any kind of public interaction for the time being, for the sake of her mental health. i'm glad she's taking care of herself, but i also wish she hadn't even responded to my e-mail on monday with an affirmative. she has obviously been thinking this over for a while, so she knew on monday there was a strong chance she wouldn't actually be able to follow through, and it just makes me sad. i hope she's gonna be ok :/

anyway, looks like all the vocals on the new album are going to be screaming. if the pandemic wasn't happening, my local friend em (who did some vocals on monstrous existence) would be able and willing to come record some stuff for me, but not as things currently are. which sucks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the album i'm working on finishing has (surprise) 4 songs and is about 37 minutes long. while they're mostly screamy songs, i wanted some clean vocal passages and i really don't love my singing voice most of the time, and wanted something more "feminine" sounding. i recorded some scratch singing vocals in there just to give some melody ideas for whoever was going to replace them.

so originally, my friend sarah (not my wife) expressed interest in doing vocals for all four songs, then later recanted (without remembering the initial offer, apparently?) but said she could still do two songs.
    so my friend nina, my longest-running musical collaborator, said she could do the other two. awesome.

since this new album is going to be released physically (bundled with "monstrous existence"), my label needs 3 months to do PR and manufacturing, and i want it out before the end of the year.
    over the weekend, i checked in with nina (who has two small children and is working from home as a full-time editor for various things, including the show Duncanville) to see if she'd be able to get me vocals before the end of the month. she very honestly said probably not, so i should just plan on working on them without her, but that if she could, she'd let me know and it would be a nice surprise. so i said, "no problem! thanks for letting me know!"

on monday, i replaced my clean singing vocals in those two songs with screams, and they sound pretty good.

at the end of the day, i e-mailed sarah to just double check that she'd be good with getting me vocals for the other two songs before the end of the month, and she said she'd have them to me before the end of next week. awesome.

then i get an e-mail tonight that she's literally dropping out of all creative projects and stepping completely out of any kind of public interaction for the time being, for the sake of her mental health. i'm glad she's taking care of herself, but i also wish she hadn't even responded to my e-mail on monday with an affirmative. she has obviously been thinking this over for a while, so she knew on monday there was a strong chance she wouldn't actually be able to follow through, and it just makes me sad. i hope she's gonna be ok :/

anyway, looks like all the vocals on the new album are going to be screaming. if the pandemic wasn't happening, my local friend em (who did some vocals on monstrous existence) would be able and willing to come record some stuff for me, but not as things currently are. which sucks.
    All of my musical projects seem to have dried up now. For whatever reason none of the people I had been working with can seem to self-motivate to write or record. If I can write / record screamy vocals while living in an apartment with no complaints, a guitar player can DI into some recording software.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I'm sorry that collab fell through, but I just wanted to say kudos to you for being gracious about it and focusing your concern on her health rather than the frustration it caused. A lot of people have a hard time understanding the ways that mental illness can unintentionally screw with your ability to be reliable.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    then i get an e-mail tonight that she's literally dropping out of all creative projects and stepping completely out of any kind of public interaction for the time being, for the sake of her mental health. i'm glad she's taking care of herself, but i also wish she hadn't even responded to my e-mail on monday with an affirmative. .
    I get it though. I've been trying to dedicate myself to making the music for my friend's 1 minute long movie, and I've thrown together some sketches, I just haven't been able to really focus to finish it off. I get how people can really just need to run away from everything for their head... and it's not something that people plan to do. She might have thought she was up for it, and then decided she couldn't. As long as you're not booking paid studio time, it's not that bad considering.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    All of my musical projects seem to have dried up now. For whatever reason none of the people I had been working with can seem to self-motivate to write or record. If I can write / record screamy vocals while living in an apartment with no complaints, a guitar player can DI into some recording software.
    hey, uh...lemme know if you ever want to collaborate <3

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/the-thiefs-altar

new song out today!

"the thief's altar" was borne out of improvisation inspired by one of my favorite aaron turner projects, Jodis.
    recorded & mixed in two days back in july, super pretty, plenty loud, no screaming.
    it's another bandcamp day. please buy my stuff so i can afford to buy other people's stuff.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    My sister went to the doctor as was diagnosed with acid reflux and a UTI they couldn't do a blood test though as she was feeling too bad. I am still a little worried as even though she had a covid 19 test they never got back to her with the result, I mean even if it is negative it would be good to know!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    came to my parents' today to work on finishing mixing my upcoming album and to do laundry.

ended up instead writing and recording the entirety of a new song that's SUPER different from what i usually do, but i love it. sounds like The Soft Moon. did all clean vocals (through that weird old microphone through my pedalboard again). gonna try to do some more stuff like this. maybe i'll have enough music for ANOTHER album before the end of the year hahaha

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    last night i sent the final mixes of my new album to the guy who runs the label i'm on, and this morning i woke up to an e-mail that said, in all caps, "I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!"

so that's pretty great!

on the downside, i'm supposed to be preparing the artwork for the cassette release (which is going to have "monstrous existence" on the other side of the tape) and i have NO IDEA what i'm doing with these templates. you're supposed to use masking & layers and i downloaded GIMP to use because i no longer have photoshop and i just can't figure out the right way to do it. i sort of figured out that if i put the template layer above the image layer and turn on masking, i can "fill" certain sections to make the image show up...but am i supposed to leave the template outline visible? am i supposed to leave bleed for the image outside the lines of the template? HOW DO!?!?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    on the downside, i'm supposed to be preparing the artwork for the cassette release (which is going to have "monstrous existence" on the other side of the tape) and i have NO IDEA what i'm doing with these templates. you're supposed to use masking & layers and i downloaded GIMP to use because i no longer have photoshop and i just can't figure out the right way to do it. i sort of figured out that if i put the template layer above the image layer and turn on masking, i can "fill" certain sections to make the image show up...but am i supposed to leave the template outline visible? am i supposed to leave bleed for the image outside the lines of the template? HOW DO!?!?
    Ohhh. We began using GIMP last week in class. I struggled a bit with a lot of things, but eventually I found a way to do them. Press F1 while hovering over a button or a setting you don't understand; the help file will automatically jump to its explanation. From what I understand, you're supposed to leave bleed, as it's going to be cut out by the people who will print out the artwork. Godflesh's last couple of records on Bandcamp actually have the templates as PDF files and you can see how they do them.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Ohhh. We began using GIMP last week in class. I struggled a bit with a lot of things, but eventually I found a way to do them. Press F1 while hovering over a button or a setting you don't understand; the help file will automatically jump to its explanation. From what I understand, you're supposed to leave bleed, as it's going to be cut out by the people who will print out the artwork. Godflesh's last couple of records on Bandcamp actually have the templates as PDF files and you can see how they do them.
    so should i essentially make the entire background of the template transparent while leaving just the outline? that seems like it'll make the most sense, so the whole image will fill up the square of the file, but i'll still be able to see which parts will actually make it onto the packaging?