Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1303

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I am reminded of a Neil Young lyric.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    wow, Ted Nugent has said some stupid shit over the years, but "“Nobody knows what’s in it,” Nugent said, falsely, in the Facebook live video. “If you can’t even honestly answer our questions of exactly what’s in it and why are you testing it on human beings and forcing it on people in such a short period of time?”

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    went to a mall today (northbrook court, for @allegro 's sake) and it was so weird. around half the stores are just gone. there were so few people in there. it felt like i was living in a world where the population was decimated. oh...

anyway, i went into H&M because i'm trying to replenish my wardrobe with starbucks-appropriate clothing that's not masculine and i went HAM y'all. i bought two things in two sizes because their fitting rooms were closed and the rest was all unique. the only things i want to return are the duplicates haha. hope i get a decent tax return to make up for all the stuff i've been buying.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    went to a mall today (northbrook court, for @allegro 's sake)
    (WAVES!!!) I can walk there!!

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    and it was so weird. around half the stores are just gone. there were so few people in there. it felt like i was living in a world where the population was decimated.
    Sadly, that place started getting like that a while ago. Covid was the last nail in the coffin. It's a great place to go walking, though. There are mile markers on the second floor, LOL.

SUR LE TABLE is gone, gahhhhhh (sobs).

The WORST "Dawn of the Dead" mail is HAWTHORN in Vernon Hills, OMG. It's been really bad for years, but holy shit that place is a total ghost town.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-20-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    wow, Ted Nugent has said some stupid shit over the years, but "“Nobody knows what’s in it,” Nugent said, falsely, in the Facebook live video. “If you can’t even honestly answer our questions of exactly what’s in it and why are you testing it on human beings and forcing it on people in such a short period of time?”
    That's because Ted doesn't understand this.

He's such a dick.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    That's like that in the malls here too - spooky vibes

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    man having a teenager right now sucks. he keeps having anger issues and motivation issues - that one he admits to - and keeps not doing school work even though we keep trying so many different things to help him out. We've talked about how to ask for help and how important it is to do that. We've also talked about how much I hated my mom for forcing me to go to a shrink - twice* - and so I'd really rather not force him to go to a counselor so I don't know how to approach this.

I want him to be a healthy and well-adjusted person - especially in these times of covid - but punishing him is difficult. Do I take away his computer? AKA the only way he stays connected with people? He's a sophomore so was a freshman for half a year and unable to make friends at school so the only people he knows are from middle school and they're almost all at different high schools now. Never mind that he's had four close friends move away in the past four years. His support system is rapidly becoming us and only us and it's getting rough to be parents and friends. You know, beyond what parents are usually.

Of course I get to think about it all day until I get home too so that's fun. I keep hearing ads for better help so I guess I'm going to check them out.

*in high school I got picked up from school one day by her, didn't tell me where we were going but I figured it out somehow. Sat me down and proceeded to tell the guy every reason she thought I needed to be there (none of which were my issues, just hers) and got mad that I didn't want to participate. The one good thing he did was make her leave so we could talk.

I said twice. The second is when she decided he wasn't good enough (i.e. not solving the issues she had with me) and took me to another one and rinse repeat.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Is there a different way to motivate him? Using the carrot instead of the stick? Is there some reward he could work towards that works for you? Often these have a cost, so your family budget would be in consideration.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    maybe. going to be hard to ride that edge of positive/negative.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Is there a different way to motivate him? Using the carrot instead of the stick? Is there some reward he could work towards that works for you? Often these have a cost, so your family budget would be in consideration.
    Oh, yeah, MONEY!!! That worked with my friends’ kids! Money works for everything! Even if it has to go into a bank account and the kids learn about savings and investment, it’s still a win.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    lol, that we've tried. Take him to dinner for As and Bs, take him somewhere special for high GPA, that kind of thing.

his school system has this thing where late assignments don't matter. you see, ever since they started having assignments they've been able to turn something in late. There are exceptions, sure, but for the most part it doesn't matter. So why should he care if he doesn't turn something in on time? he can just turn it in later. Sure in high school it's a little different and they're taking 20% off the grade but he doesn't care. He's told me as much, he doesn't care at all.

For example: He wants to be an engineer. We were talking about his grades and how they're important, especially if he wants to go to a really good school like MIT. He said that that wouldn't matter at all, who cares where you go to school? like...a lot of people do dude.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Eh, maybe taking him to dinner isn't a big deal to him. What does he want?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    He's 15 so other than sitting on his computer and playing games / talking on discord...not much.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This “who cares?” thing is pretty common among the younger generations. They see the burden of student loans and the bullshit system that is corporatized college, and a lot of these kids just want no part of it or just don’t give a shit.

A lot of our younger generations don’t buy into the whole college requirement thing. They barely participate, and only because it’s necessary. When I graduated from college in ‘08, many of the younger students around me were like this. They were forced to go to college by a system they resent, so they don’t give it more effort than necessary.

One of my friends has two teens in a Dallas suburb, they both go to a private religious school. Both kids are overachievers, mostly because Mom is a Type A overscheduler who seems to think that keeping them busy within an inch of their lives is keeping them under control. Mom has a B.S. from Baylor and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. Her oldest is a pretty smart kid, he’s a senior this year, he’s been teaching at a coding school over summers; he’s been involved in robotic competitions for years, plus he plays several instruments in school and has a ton of other extracurricular activities. Her younger kid, daughter, is equally overachiever, plays instruments, all kinds of stuff.

So my friend was kinda freaking out when her oldest announced to her that he ain’t going to college. Nope, ain’t no talking him into it, he don’t give a shit, he ain’t going.

In HER world and upbringing, that’s like dropping out in 7th grade of something.

Dude, Bill Gates dropped out of college. So did Steve Jobs. So did Mark Zuckerberg. Maybe he’s just not ready for college right now? Maybe he can just do a few community college classes until he gets his rhythm? Maybe do like they do in the U.K and take a gap year. Because a kid not giving a fuck while in college means a fucked-up GPA and a GIANT waste of money.

So she says, “well, I told him he has to go because when I went, I met people from all different kinds of cultures and that’s important.”

Honey, first of all, once he’s 18, he doesn’t HAVE to do anything you say.

Second, he’s not stupid; he knows he can meet lots of people from other cultures by getting A JOB.

She didn’t like that answer.

Her HUSBAND is a blue collar guy who’s worked for AT&T forever, he used to climb poles and stuff and eventually worked his way up to do training. He never went to college. He’s making good money. I mentioned him. Yes, true ... she couldn’t explain why he wasn’t a good example for their son.

I was so disgusted by her whole bougie bullshit attitude that I blocked her number.

Look at that situation with those celebs actually cheating to get their kids into college and the kids didn’t even want to GO.

Lori Loughlin‘s older daughter, Olivia? She was a huge YouTube “influencer” already bringing in boatloads of money, but evidently that wasn’t respectable enough for her parents. Now her parents are in prison, so she’s way more respectable than they are.

It’s rough right now. No, no 4-year college is going to accept late papers. But your kid has already learned what all the rest of them have learned: Don’t expend effort unless it’s necessary. That’s their normal, even at WORK.

And as someone who devoted 40 years of my life working way too many fucking hours per day with no vacations and no overtime and getting abused, I gotta say I think they will live far happier lives than MY GENERATION.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-21-2021 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    he's still got two years until college, we just want him to finish high school at this point without falling into depression. I guess that's the crux of what I'm getting at here is that I care a lot less about the school and way more about him being OK. I mean the two go hand in hand at a certain point but I care way more that he's a happy camper and that he's around for me to talk to in five to ten years than, ah, not.

also not hating me would be nice. haven't talked to my mom in a decade other than at my dad's funeral.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ah, okay. I hear you.

Does he hate you, though? It seems like he likes hanging with you guys.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-21-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I got my 2nd shot today (about 9 hours ago). No side effects so far...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ah, okay. I hear you.

Does he hate you, though? It seems like he likes hanging with you guys.
    no, but I fear it so much because of how my relationship is with my mom.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @allegate a big part of the problem is the lack of efficacy of homework. kids shouldn't be having to do homework, they should be having family time and socializing outside of school (which is hard because of the pandemic).

hope things get better soon <3

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well he nearly burnt the house down last night by putting some instant mac and cheese in the microwave and forgetting the water.

"You still can't walk into someone's house without being invited!" "What? Oh, I see your confusion. No, this vaccine is for a bat VIRUS. I'm fine with doorways and garlic and stuff."

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I don’t and won’t have kids but homework has always been bullshit. You’re telling me I have to spend 8 plus hours in a place 5 days per week and I also have to do school work at home? For mostly shit that doesn’t matter in life?

College makes more sense especially when it comes to the courses your degree focuses on. You want to (or should) learn what you can in depth about what you’re wanting to do in life.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The schools were sending these kids home with BACK-BREAKING loads of homework, and the kids are still idiots compared to older education standards. Things could be a LOT more streamlined with lectures and by separating students into abilities and giving them different materials based on needs and levels. I don’t think there should be a summer vacation. I think less homework and no vacation is a better option that would turn out more equally-educated and less-stressed students.

Not everything we learn “matters” as far as careers, etc. But we need a well-rounded education that includes American and world history, geography, English, grammar, spelling, math, sciences, writing, budgets, and preferably a second language, arts, and music. One of the main reasons college has become so “necessary” to employers is because it’s become “13th grade” because students are so dumb.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Just got my first Pfizer dose at a college. I was prettttttttty much the oldest person in the room, and idgaf.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

The resulting carnage. He gets to finish cleaning up the stove and microwave tomorrow.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    The resulting carnage. He gets to finish cleaning up the stove and microwave tomorrow.
    Worst. Cheetos. Ever.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Yeah he put that outside and neither of us knew what it was because it doesn't register visually. She thought it was a collection of raccoon poo and I thought someone was collecting mini pine cones.
    Last edited by allegate; 04-26-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just got my first vax dose... Moderna.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Got my second shot earlier today.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

got my hair cut (first time since august 2019) and dyed (first time since early 2011) today and i feel SO HOT

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Wow, look at those eyes.