Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 570 of 709

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

  1. #541
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Okay, now I gotta ask... ever deal with sand in your returned books?
    Not yet, I live in the Midlands, about as far away from the beaches as you can get (unfortunately). I have found odd stuff used as bookmarks, banana skin (urgh) really important or private letters which you wouldn't want strangers to see, food wrappers, tea bag. As any public service work soon proves, people are dirty bastards.

  2. #542
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,810
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i feel like i would be way more calm being able to listen to music while i shop, but i'd be so paranoid about people getting too close to me. it's bad enough when i CAN hear and someone is approaching and doesn't give me the space or time to get out of the way, or when people just stand there, with their cart, blocking the aisle for several minutes. ugh.
    If I am in the world at large by myself, I have headphones on. I've had several people tell me that's weird but I'm fine with it. If I need to talk to someone I take them off and talk to them, it's easy!

    As for people in the aisles, I have taken to walking in the direct center of the aisle because there are arrows at each end and I'm 100% sure I'm going the right way. Your ass can get the hell out of my way if you're that big of a idiot.

    The greatest thing about the masks is you can say some shit but now everyone wearing one is a fucking ventriloquist so no one knows who really said it. Get some real zingers off like that.

    I fully embrace the fact that I'm an asshole to other assholes. I know, and I do not care.

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,047
    Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    six flags is a roller coaster theme park here.
    No, I know what Six Flags is, there’s one not too far away from my house. But ours is CLOSED.

  4. #544
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,047
    Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i feel like i would be way more calm being able to listen to music while i shop, but i'd be so paranoid about people getting too close to me. it's bad enough when i CAN hear and someone is approaching and doesn't give me the space or time to get out of the way, or when people just stand there, with their cart, blocking the aisle for several minutes. ugh.
    I get irritated when people are going the wrong way down the grocery aisles, lol.

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,540
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I get irritated when people are going the wrong way down the grocery aisles, lol.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,114
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    so, I was in quarantine with a significant other, and now I'm just camped out in the house w/ my parents, and I'm finding the whole thing kind of awful. I really want to go out in public, and I could now because stuff is "opening back up," but I really can't. I can't risk bringing anything back into the house because my parents are high risk. I'm actually moderate risk.

    I'm just finding the whole "being by myself" thing to be rough. It's really just me and the dog. Doesn't help that I'm having these crazy crippling panic attacks, but I really feel the need to just talk to people right now, and this whole quarantine thing is making that impossible. I hate this year so much. I've chatted on the phone with people and on the internet, but I really feel the need to go out and talk with people in real life...

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    914
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    ^^^

    Can you arrange to do some safe meetups with people where you're both/all wearing masks and distancing? I know things are really bad in L.A., but if you know someone who's been carefully quarantining like you have, maybe you could get together.
    Last edited by piggy; 06-28-2020 at 03:51 PM.

  8. #548
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,114
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    ^^^

    Can you arrange to do some safe meetups with people where you're both/all wearing masks and distancing? I know things are really bad in L.A., but if you know someone who's been carefully quarantining like you have, maybe you could get together.
    Maybe, but it feels like a pretty big undertaking. It would probably be worth it for everyone actually... Then again, I have friends who are going through stuff that laughs at my complaints. This really is an unbelievably awful time.

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    914
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Maybe, but it feels like a pretty big undertaking. It would probably be worth it for everyone actually... Then again, I have friends who are going through stuff that laughs at my complaints. This really is an unbelievably awful time.
    I'm sorry. This time and your personal situation are so sucky. Sending you huge hugs.

  10. #550
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,114
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I'm sorry. This time and your personal situation are so sucky. Sending you huge hugs.
    Thank you... though, like I was saying I guess, I'm reminded by some of my friends' situations that things could be so much worse. This year is cursed. Everyone I know is hurting. I actually found myself saying a prayer for a friend. I'm an atheist, I don't believe in supernatural powers, and I made myself put all that aside and pray for someone. This is a crazy time.

  11. #551
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This really is an unbelievably awful time.
    Put that on a t-shirt and I will buy it. Life in general can be difficult in the best of times. The current pandemic situation just amplifies the difficulty of both ordinary and extraordinary aspects of existence. Going through a major life event during this crisis must really suck, because all the wild emotions are amplified.

    As I have stated previously, the mental health impact of covid-19 is grossly underestimated, in my opinion. The impacts will be felt for a very long time.

  12. #552
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    503
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so, I was in quarantine with a significant other, and now I'm just camped out in the house w/ my parents, and I'm finding the whole thing kind of awful. I really want to go out in public, and I could now because stuff is "opening back up," but I really can't. I can't risk bringing anything back into the house because my parents are high risk. I'm actually moderate risk.

    I'm just finding the whole "being by myself" thing to be rough. It's really just me and the dog. Doesn't help that I'm having these crazy crippling panic attacks, but I really feel the need to just talk to people right now, and this whole quarantine thing is making that impossible. I hate this year so much. I've chatted on the phone with people and on the internet, but I really feel the need to go out and talk with people in real life...
    I totally understand. I moved back to the US for family reasons. The idea was to fly my partner over this spring for a visit. I have no idea how the long term will play out....but basically I'm living alone with my mother. I can't socialize at all because of coronavirus, and I have no friends locally. I'm completely isolated, and I probably won't be able to see my partner until a vaccine is available. I'm alone, isolated, and will continue to be for the next year. I don't know what to do anymore. Most of my friends are in a different region of the US and don't really care about connecting or video chatting. It would me a lot to me even for a phone call, but since they're used to me being overseas, they don't care to connect.

  13. #553
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,756
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)




    Last edited by MrLobster; 06-29-2020 at 01:14 AM.

  14. #554
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,540
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    spent all day monday and all day today working on a 14-minute song (i had three songs mostly done for my upcoming album, this is the fourth). everything i've been working on lately has been on my baritone, which i have in drop-A...but i don't have a 5-string bass, so i have to tune the E down to an A and let me tell you, it's very floppy. i tried to record a clean bass part and it honestly just sounded like farts.

  15. #555
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,756
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sounded like farts.
    And you can never trust a wet sloppy floppy fart....

  16. #556
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    And you can never trust a wet sloppy floppy fart....
    And where can I buy that T-shirt?

  17. #557
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,756
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    And where can I buy that T-shirt?
    DIY it... use a Skeletor graphic and attribute the quote to him. It'll be funny. Cafepress...

    "You never trust a wet sloppy floppy fart He-Man! HahahAHhaHAhHaHahhA"
    Last edited by MrLobster; 07-01-2020 at 10:23 PM.

  18. #558
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    DIY it... use a Skeletor graphic and attribute the quote to him. It'll be funny. Cafepress...

    "You never trust a wet sloppy floppy fart He-Man! HahahAHhaHAhHaHahhA"
    "Sloppin' da bass, He-Mon."

  19. #559
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,540
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    found out from one of my coworkers today that the leave i'm on right now makes me eligible for unemployment. kind of wish i had known that when it started a month ago! but better late than never. planning to apply tomorrow.

    75% done with another album. have to finish the lyrics & do vocals for two songs, and then clean up the mixing for all four.

    also, i have a new collection of songs out tomorrow for bandcamp day. just under two hours of low-key electronic music (seven 15-minute pieces) that are great for background or relaxation. they were commissioned by my best friend to accompany some instructional art videos she's making, but she only used two of them, and said i could do whatever i wanted with all of them. so i'm using them to try to raise some more money for brave space alliance. will pop back in and post when the album's live.

  20. #560
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,540
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)


    https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/nusuth

    ok, it's here! but don't buy it til midnight PST!

  21. #561
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,406
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

    The COVID-19 coping thread

    i talked to my stepmom yesterday. she sounded pretty good. she’s still negative for covid and her husband has recovered. he apparently went back to work this week which is so strange to me. should he quarantine for a few weeks after feeling better? apparently his doctor told him to go back to work and wear a mask. he works a rental place so it’s florida tourists coming to rent boating equipment. no wonder it’s spreading if doctors are like “sure. go back to work”. my stepmom is still wearing a mask in her own home and keeping her distance from him. before we hung up i said “give t a hug for me” and she said “oh no i’m not going near him right now”. so it’s ok for him to go back to work but not ok enough for her to be near him? i don’t understand but whatever as long as she’s ok.

    i’m definitely glad that it was like a bad flu/cold for him and that’s he’s basically recovered. it makes me think my loved ones might come through this ok.

  22. #562
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,081
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i talked to my stepmom yesterday. she sounded pretty good. she’s still negative for covid and her husband has recovered. he apparently went back to work this week which is so strange to me. should he quarantine for a few weeks after feeling better? apparently his doctor told him to go back to work and wear a mask. he works a rental place so it’s florida tourists coming to rent boating equipment. no wonder it’s spreading if doctors are like “sure. go back to work”. my stepmom is still wearing a mask in her own home and keeping her distance from him. before we hung up i said “give t a hug for me” and she said “oh no i’m not going near him right now”. so it’s ok for him to go back to work but not ok enough for her to be near him? i don’t understand but whatever as long as she’s ok.

    i’m definitely glad that it was like a bad flu/cold for him and that’s he’s basically recovered. it makes me think my loved ones might come through this ok.
    14 days of quarantine starting from the first day the person had symptoms. If other people in the household show symptoms, they should quarantine for 7 days. As of now, the scientific evidence suggests it is highly unlikely to pass COVID-19 on to someone after 7 days (in your household).

    This is from Scotland, but the recommended quarantining guidelines are the same wordwide (from what I've seen). I chose this article because it's got all of the info on one page:

    https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...irus-infection

  23. #563
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,406
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    14 days of quarantine starting from the first day the person had symptoms. If other people in the household show symptoms, they should quarantine for 7 days. As of now, the scientific evidence suggests it is highly unlikely to pass COVID-19 on to someone after 7 days (in your household).

    This is from Scotland, but the recommended quarantining guidelines are the same wordwide (from what I've seen). I chose this article because it's got all of the info on one page:

    https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...irus-infection
    thanks for the info. i really appreciate it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #564
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,114
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post


    https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/nusuth

    ok, it's here! but don't buy it til midnight PST!
    I really like the cover art, that's great! I'll check it out in a bit when I get a chance

  25. #565
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,540
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I really like the cover art, that's great! I'll check it out in a bit when I get a chance
    my best friend, justine, is an incredible artist. the pieces were originally commissioned by her for some instructional art videos. she's also designed about 30% of my tattoos (including all the matching ones we have together).

    hope you enjoy the music! might help you feel better right now, too. i've been listening to it first thing in the morning, and when i shower, and when i'm getting ready for bed. it's just...some of the nicest music i've made haha (not the best, but the nicest to listen to, for sure)

    also, huge thanks to anyone from here who picked it up yesterday! i pulled in a total of just around $100 that i'm going to be able to donate. not a lot, but every little bit helps!

  26. #566
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I get off work at 10:15 AM tomorrow and I'm strongly considering being shitfaced by noon.

    As a so-called "essential" worker, fuck COVID-19 in the ass with a spiky, HIV-coated dildo.

  27. #567
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    969
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I just saw the comedian Daniel Sloss live at a drive through. It was a pretty weird experience, but it was nice to have a proper night out for once. It did mean we ended up just sat in a car for 10 hours though including the journey

  28. #568
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    503
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I am so sick to death of being isolated. And my state is now a hot zone.

    Can I say that I didn't plan on being celibate for over a year? I want to stomp 2020 in the face.

  29. #569
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm really hating the state of the Covid world right now. Just found out that my grandmother in FL has a pretty serious health issue (not anything Covid) and isn't going to make it much longer, few weeks or months probably. I've always been fond of her but not super close, if that makes sense, since I never lived near her or saw her that often. She's 88 years old and so I get the "everyone's time comes and that's a good long life" aspect. But what gets me the most is that I had my first child about a little less than a year ago, grams couldn't travel to visit due to health, then the shit hit the fan and now she will probably never meet her great grand daughter in person. We're not a big family, my nana had one child, my mother, who also only had one child, me. She's been waiting to see a new baby in this family for almost 40 years now. Under normal circumstances we'd make the trip to see her right away, but I don't think it's responsible to bring a baby on a long trip to Covid-central. Also, I'm in NY and going to FL would mean a mandatory 2 week unpaid quarantine from my job. I'm just hating all of this. I guess I've got to figure out a way to video call her but she's not good with technology. Fuck this year.

  30. #570
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,810
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    I wonder if a small tech startup could be established for just such a reason. A business that could send people to houses to set up tech for them and be safe about it with masks and such.

    And not the Best Buy people.

Posting Permissions