Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1303

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    on some level, I've almost felt like giving up on trying to secure a vaccine, and I'm just waiting for people to tell me that I can finally just go somewhere and get it. I really suspect this will happen soon enough.
    It will, it really will.

I was totally freaking out about getting my elderly Mom the vaccine; about a week after I finally got her the first shot, I got a notice from our healthcare provider that I could set up an appointment through THEM.

*sigh*

Hold on, they're on the way, soon.

(Not the NIN "soon.")

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    on some level, I've almost felt like giving up on trying to secure a vaccine, and I'm just waiting for people to tell me that I can finally just go somewhere and get it. I really suspect this will happen soon enough.

WHAT is going on here? On top of that, I'm seeing people still just NOT GETTING THIS. I read this LAtimes article yesterday that made my blood pressure soar, and it was more due to the comments section, where everyone is quibbling about whether or not it's violating people's civil rights to deny them access to the gym if they are incapable of taking the vaccine.
    That's where I just about lost my mind.

We are ALMOST THERE! Come ON!
    I hear you, and I get it. I'm sorry you have to wait while other idiots pass that up. Fingers crossed for you to get it soon.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

can't have anyone else over so i'm having my own dance party to the black queen

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Jam on!
    It's a Tuesday night...and my life/job is in transition (again). Tempted to dance on the weekend!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It was a year ago that I started to upload all of my mixtapes to Mixcloud in an effort to help distract others during these COVIDtimes. Seems to have worked for a few, which is nice.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I feel so bad down here in Sydney, Australia and witnessing all the struggles the rest of the world is still having. We’re essentially back to normal life here for the last good while (4-5 months or so). No mask wearing needed, no social anxiety. Wish I could bring you all down here until it’s over.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    First shot down.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

now that's stuck in my head.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    It’s really screwed up... the last time I “went out and did things” was over a year ago. It was my fortieth birthday. The milestone was actually not bothering me. Instead I was optimistic and happy. My fiancée and I decided we should all go out to the restaurant we had our first “real date” at; this fancy place that makes these table side cocktails with nitrous oxide, so they smoke. Nobody was getting wasted, but we all were hanging around and drinking these novelty drinks and eating amazing food. That was a good time, but the memory just stings.

For my 41st birthday I sat alone in a room and drank cheap wine till I passed out and clicked “like” when I would get a happy birthday notification on Facebook.

when I got the portion of my tab for the 40th birthday party it was a shock... over 500 dollars... but even at the time I thought “whatever that was worth every penny.” I had no idea how true that was. All the money in the world couldn’t buy me that happiness at this point.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Honestly, I can't wait to plunk down money at a restaurant. I've always been a 20% tipper, but I think the first time I can get out, I'm going to hand over a $100 to whoever is waiting on me.

Edited to add: With a mask on of course.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    we are supposed to hang out with my family members tomorrow and these people are acting like we’re all vaccinated. i’ve asked everyone to maintain covid protocols because the person hosting lives in a small space and has a bunch of risky issues. of course now i feel like everyone hates me. i still need my second vaccine and my family has faired just fine staying home and following the guidelines. why would i risk it with family members who are eating at restaurants and resuming activities? fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    It’s really screwed up... the last time I “went out and did things” was over a year ago. It was my fortieth birthday. The milestone was actually not bothering me. Instead I was optimistic and happy. My fiancée and I decided we should all go out to the restaurant we had our first “real date” at; this fancy place that makes these table side cocktails with nitrous oxide, so they smoke. Nobody was getting wasted, but we all were hanging around and drinking these novelty drinks and eating amazing food. That was a good time, but the memory just stings.

For my 41st birthday I sat alone in a room and drank cheap wine till I passed out and clicked “like” when I would get a happy birthday notification on Facebook.
    I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but this anecdote really struck a chord with me. I turned 40 in the middle of the pandemic, and not only could I obviously not go out and do something cool... all but one of my friends FORGOT and didn't even send a text. Needless to say, it was one of the worst birthdays of my entire life.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    we are supposed to hang out with my family members tomorrow and these people are acting like we’re all vaccinated. i’ve asked everyone to maintain covid protocols because the person hosting lives in a small space and has a bunch of risky issues. of course now i feel like everyone hates me. i still need my second vaccine and my family has faired just fine staying home and following the guidelines. why would i risk it with family members who are eating at restaurants and resuming activities? fml
    Hopefully you're two weeks post 1st dose?
    But yah, I'm fed up with the fuckers that DGAF.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Hopefully you're two weeks post 1st dose?
    But yah, I'm fed up with the fuckers that DGAF.
    today is day 10 since my first shot.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I finally have my first shot scheduled for May 19th.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I feel so bad down here in Sydney, Australia and witnessing all the struggles the rest of the world is still having. We’re essentially back to normal life here for the last good while (4-5 months or so). No mask wearing needed, no social anxiety. Wish I could bring you all down here until it’s over.
    Yeah, I'm so envious of you. We just got the Brazilian variant here, 1st place in the world outside of Brazil, 2000 cases in 2 days. Hold on to your butts. Going to be an interesting spring...
    Almost the whole Vancouver Canucks hockey team (16/22 players) caught it.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 04-04-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    At my job I check everyone's temperatures when they enter the building. We have a kiosk, and also a laser pointer for the little kids because they're too short for the kiosk. You can't adjust the kiosk's height. I've been doing this since September. A mom and her little daughter walk in, they're regular customers, and as I'm about to aim the laser pointer to her daughter's forehead, the mom says to me, "From now on, can you point it at her wrist? There's evidence now that suggests the laser pointer can cause brain damage." I'm like okkkkkkk, Karen. I can't wait for this shit to be over.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    At my job I check everyone's temperatures when they enter the building. We have a kiosk, and also a laser pointer for the little kids because they're too short for the kiosk. You can't adjust the kiosk's height. I've been doing this since September. A mom and her little daughter walk in, they're regular customers, and as I'm about to aim the laser pointer to her daughter's forehead, the mom says to me, "From now on, can you point it at her wrist? There's evidence now that suggests the laser pointer can cause brain damage." I'm like okkkkkkk, Karen. I can't wait for this shit to be over.
    that's ridiculous. that said, taking the temp at the wrist CAN be a better indicator; that's what they do at the mental health place i've been going to.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    lmao, oh god. lol at the Karen bit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s infrared. It’s not dangerous anywhere on your body. The reason it’s usually pointed at the forehead is because it’s a larger surface. The most accurate temperature is gonna be from your ARMPIT but nobody is gonna be exposing their fucking armpit. Many locations stopped pointing at foreheads due to hair, hats, and other obstructions.

The person telling you this likely has a cell phone pressed to her head.

God bless you for your patience.

I scheduled the booster Moderna shot for the 3 of us for April 14th. The staff worker was SO nice.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-08-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Hell, how do you get the Moderna booster? I'm scheduled for my 2nd Moderna 4/26.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Hell, how do you get the Moderna booster? I'm scheduled for my 2nd Moderna 4/26.
    the second shot is the booster.

my second shot is next thursday. i’m trying to not worry about it’s effects.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Ok. I thought the booster was in reference to the trial Moderna is doing for the new variant. They're also trialing a 3 regular Moderna.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    @allegro I wanted to bring up the cell phone bit to her, lol.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I think I've hit peak-exhaustion on some emotional level.

This reminds me of the time I was working this audio gig, doing all the work by myself in the sun all day... lifting speakers, running cables, etc, all day long, mostly in the sun. And as I was breaking everything down and packing stuff up into the truck, and there was still some gear and the mixing desk near the stage, the sprinklers in this park where the event was all went off, spraying the gear. I was already so completely beat, my muscles were cramping, just all of them. My fingers were curling up and I had to struggle to extend them. But then all the sprinklers are showering the gear in water, and I freaked out, drove the truck outside of the range of the sprinklers, and ran back and forth through the fucking sprinklers carrying the last of the gear to the truck in this hysterical blinding rush.

I am pretty sure I almost killed myself that day from over-exhaustion. When I finally got the truck loaded and drove it through to the general parking entrance, I had to emergency-jump out of the truck and puke over and over again, just convulsing and vomiting, and my vision was turning into starry flashes, and I couldn't believe how aggressively miserable and confused and depressed I felt.

But, yeah, that's pretty much how I felt on a psychological/emotional level when I woke up this morning. My body isn't cramping up while I puke uncontrollably, but all the rest feels about the same. I don't know how much longer I can stand this version of reality. It just sucks so much in so many ways.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-08-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I finally have my first shot scheduled for May 19th.
    Scratch that! I was able to find an appointment earlier (and closer to where I live). Next Friday, April 23rd for my first shot! Woohoo!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I...guess?

ALSO, incase you haven't heard ~40% of Marines don't want the vaccine. long story short it's not mandated because of the nature of the emergency approval of the vaccines. that said, this is hilarious:

Last edited by allegate; 04-12-2021 at 10:44 AM.