Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm honestly surprised how well I'm coping with this crisis. Three years ago, I would have been massively depressed, most likely suicidal, and unable to do anything. Now? I'm surprisingly calm and fairly productive. The news is bad, but I don't let it get to me like I would have years ago. I've been taking it one day at a time. I still get down about the state of things, but not to the extent where I let it crush me. The worst part right now is being away from my boyfriend most of the time. We live together, but due to the crisis, we've been forced by our jobs to work alternate shifts from what we're used to. That means only seeing each other very briefly in the morning and on the weekends. I've been cherishing the time we get, but it's hard not seeing him as much as I want to. I know some people have been separated from loved ones completely, and that there's plenty of people who had to die alone because their families couldn't see them, so I'm counting myself lucky that I get the time that I do at the very least.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't want things to go back to "normal" because "normal" obviously doesn't work, capitalism is fucking garbage, and this has proven that to an undeniable extent. hopefully we'll see some positive change on the other side of things.
    I don't think capitalism is the problem. It's our fascist approach to it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I don't think capitalism is the problem. It's our fascist approach to it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    my city passed a resolution or something to reopen the farmer's market on the weekends. what the actual fuck are they thinking.
    They had a farmers market here... I drove by it. It actually did look like they were putting in distancing efforts with barricades and tape, but I'm still not doing that shit.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Does anyone know a good place to get these masks we are to wear? I've got to go to Amarillo to get my mom's prescription, and then get it filled, on the 9th.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Does anyone know a good place to get these masks we are to wear? I've got to go to Amarillo to get my mom's prescription, and then get it filled, on the 9th.
    Not available anywhere. You have to make your own. Out of a scarf, bandana, t-shirt, etc.

There's a ton of DIY out there:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Not available anywhere. You have to make your own. Out of a scarf, bandana, t-shirt, etc.
    The thing with cloth masks is that they need to be washed right after using so be prepared to make more than a few and then also cleaning them often.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    The thing with cloth masks is that they need to be washed right after using so be prepared to make more than a few and then also cleaning them often.
    Or spray the shit out of them with Lysol?

I found some extra material and I've dragged my sewing machine upstairs, getting to work, now.

I have Indian curry chicken in the slow cooker, and I baked double chocolate chip cookies last night. Now I'm sewing. This is morphing me into Martha Stewart LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Or spray the shit out of them with Lysol?
    You can do that but don't wear them soon after using it... huffing is generally frowned upon.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'll preface this with: I know I'm way better off than most.

But I am struggling today. It's just one day.
    During the week I'm busy with learning new things, and I'm busy. Yesterday it was nice enough to sit outside, but today it's been grey and cold (for FL standards). I did all the work I could do on one project. I'd like to start working on tomorrow's tickets, but stuff is logged. I don't want my new coworkers to wonder WTF is up with the freak who insists on working through the weekend.

I've never been a big tv person. I might actually start watching The Office (American), as I've never watched it. I dunno. It's sad I just want the work week to start already.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I bought the Humble Bundle for COVID-19 and there are two crossword books in it, however the squares are not fillable. wtf are you supposed to do with these?

can't wait to setup a remote session of jackbox though. I have heard really good things about it for these times.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I'll preface this with: I know I'm way better off than most.

But I am struggling today. It's just one day.
    During the week I'm busy with learning new things, and I'm busy. Yesterday it was nice enough to sit outside, but today it's been grey and cold (for FL standards). I did all the work I could do on one project. I'd like to start working on tomorrow's tickets, but stuff is logged. I don't want my new coworkers to wonder WTF is up with the freak who insists on working through the weekend.

I've never been a big tv person. I might actually start watching The Office (American), as I've never watched it. I dunno. It's sad I just want the work week to start already.
    Have you watched Schitt's Creek?

I've been playing the Illinois Lotto app and last night I won TWELVE DOLLARS!!!!!!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, I need to get past the first few episodes. Coworkers say it gets better, but the first episode wasn't really grabbing me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's sad I just want the work week to start already.
    I can understand that. For me, the structure of knowing what is expected, and what I must do, is comforting. This new reality of uncertainty, change, and invisible threat is quite unsettling. A little unpredictability can spice up life. But too much, especially when forced, can be rather disruptive. So the rhythm of the mundane is somehow desirable now.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    You might also check into the masks that people are making out of blue shop towels. They are apparently really effective.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    You might also check into the masks that people are making out of blue shop towels. They are apparently really effective.
    I just made four masks tonight made of blue shop shammies! I had some thin elastic rope left from another project. They turned out pretty cool.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yah, I need to get past the first few episodes. Coworkers say it gets better, but the first episode wasn't really grabbing me.
    Omg yes get past the first, say, five episodes. The family is deliberately vapid. But you won’t be sorry.

The cast is STELLAR. Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara are SCTV alums, of course. Dan Levy and Sarah Levy are Eugene’s kids (Eugene and Dan are the writers.) At first, I hated Chris Elliott; but he turns out to be a really valuable gem. The whole cast is awesome. It’s just what everyone needs right now.

Tomorrow, I promised to write my husband’s resume. I have been writing and editing by trade for 30 years but I’d rather amputate my own fingers than write a resume. But, like anything, once you get started it works out.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    There are plenty of masks available on ebay, but the earliest guaranteed ship date I found is the 10th, and I have to go out on the 9th.

I DO have a single use surgical mask: perhaps I could spray it down with lysol?

Or I suppose I could just make my own, but for some reason that's probably just psychological, id feel better with professionally made masks.

I've got a couple of boxes of gloves SOMEWHERE in this trashed bedroom we live in; SuRELY I can find them.

Edit: have any of you guys made masks with NIN logos yet? I have SO many old shirts, and some of them are fading- if I make my own, it sure might have some sort of NIN theme.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-06-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    If you haven't used it before, you could use the single use one. Otherwise a fabric one will function, and you can wash those.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Or I suppose I could just make my own, but for some reason that's probably just psychological, id feel better with professionally made masks.
    That mask at the doctor's office does not protect you from inhaling Covid-19.

It only protects THEM, from YOU exhaling it onto THEM.

The only effective inhalation masks are N95s which you can't make and you can't find, because they are now highly restricted to hospitals.

So, go ahead and make a mask from a towel.

Etsy has lots of fun crafty homemade masks, but they won't arrive in time for your appointment. Again, just use anything you can wrap around your face. NOTHING except an N95 will really protect you from inhalation of the fine aerosols of C-19. The only other thing that will protect you is staying 6' away, don't touch your face (it doesn't transmit via skin, only via mucous membranes: eyes, nose, mouth), and wash your hands with soap and warm water for a minimum of 20 seconds). Masks are to protect OTHERS from YOU, and to provide at least a modicum of protection for yourself.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    That mask at the doctor's office does not protect you from inhaling Covid-19.

It only protects THEM, from YOU exhaling it onto THEM.

The only effective inhalation masks are N95s which you can't make and you can't find, because they are now highly restricted to hospitals.

So, go ahead and make a mask from a towel.

Etsy has lots of fun crafty homemade masks, but they won't arrive in time for your appointment. Again, just use anything you can wrap around your face. NOTHING except an N95 will really protect you from inhalation of the fine aerosols of C-19. The only other thing that will protect you is staying 6' away, don't touch your face (it doesn't transmit via skin, only via mucous membranes: eyes, nose, mouth), and wash your hands with soap and warm water for a minimum of 20 seconds). Masks are to protect OTHERS from YOU, and to provide at least a modicum of protection for yourself.
    I probably WILL wrap a fucking towel around my face.

I have a really bad feeling about this trip. In 06, I took care of active TB patients, as a cna, and this trip to Amarillo worries me more than that did.

And I can't seem to calm down, and I'm out of fucking xanax. :/

I know I'm being overly anxious, but going into wal mart and the Drs office and Walgreens on the 9th makes me feel like I'm going into those reverse pressure TB isolation rooms , but without ppe
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-06-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    You got this. Key thing is to keep your distance, if people get too close, just say, 'hey, 6ft, do you mind?' If they remain ignorant, it doesn't hurt to hold your breath until they're past you.

Wash your hands when you get back into your home. Throw away any external containers, and wash anything/ everything you can with soap and water. Also disinfect door handles on the car/ into your home if you can, otherwise use soap and water on those too.

I'm going to have to drop off AND pick up my prescriptions at the end of the week. Not looking forward to that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yes this!!
    I spent 14 years working with gloved hands, but it wasn't until I started working with radioactive isotopes for the last 5 that I took them off in that manner. My method was slightly different, but same concept.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 04-06-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    speaking of the blue shop towels, they appear to be sold out everywhere all of a sudden. how about that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    speaking of the blue shop towels, they appear to be sold out everywhere all of a sudden. how about that.
    You know these microfiber cleaning cloth? I buy a TON of them from Amazon so I don’t use so many paper towels. I made two masks from each blue microfiber cleaning cloth.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    speaking of masks, I did not know this:

Since March 23, Joann stores nationwide have been providing supplies to make masks for free if you donate the finished products. Since then, they’ve donated more than 16 million. “We’re definitely touched by the community,” Harding said. “It helps us not to feel alone in this.”
    How to make your own face mask to help stop the spread of the coronavirus