Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well tonight's wander in the woods was interesting. I actually ran into another human, very far away from any trails or other signs of human activity. He asked me "how many did you find?" to which I responded "huh?" Apparently he treks though the woods searching for deer antlers. And he thought I was doing the same (I was not.) He found 23 so far this season, but only one pair. I did not question his unusual hobby, as he made it seem perfectly normal. And perhaps it is.

Spent awhile conversing with Antler Man (observing proper social distance of course) so it was getting dark when I began the journey back home. Feeling sure of myself I decided to take a new route instead of retracing my previous path. And I thusly became ensnared and entrapped in the most thorny and pokey snare of horticultural horror I have ever encountered. Coupled with boot-sucking mud sent by the devil.

Made it home safe despite the challenges. Dealing with that shit was easy compared to dealing with the reality of this virus situation. My oldest son is a nurse. His whole ward is now covid-19 patients. He has a lovely wife and two kids (my grandkids!) and I am so scared for all of them.

I must stay strong, or at least appear to be staying strong. And so far I think it's working. The family can sense I am concerned. But I think they are not aware of the sheer terror in my heart. Please, do not tell them that I am am scared.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Well tonight's wander in the woods was interesting. I actually ran into another human, very far away from any trails or other signs of human activity. He asked me "how many did you find?" to which I responded "huh?" Apparently he treks though the woods searching for deer antlers. And he thought I was doing the same (I was not.) He found 23 so far this season, but only one pair. I did not question his unusual hobby, as he made it seem perfectly normal. And perhaps it is.
    That sounds like the opening scene of a horror flick - I love it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Buck shed their antler pretty much every year. The buck grow new antler. People make all kinds of rustic stuff from the shed antler. I’ve seen it on HGTV LOL. One guy made a huge Christmas Tree this past season.

https://www.wideopencountry.com/10-h...-with-antlers/

Last edited by allegro; 03-26-2020 at 10:54 PM.