Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    You are awesome for posting these. I needed a laugh today.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    national treasure 1 is on netflix (will be on disney+ may 1st) and 2 is on disney+. we watched 1 saturday and 2 tonight. my love for these movies grows more each time i watch them. they're just so fun.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Onion.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    national treasure 1 is on netflix (will be on disney+ may 1st) and 2 is on disney+. we watched 1 saturday and 2 tonight. my love for these movies grows more each time i watch them. they're just so fun.
    I thought I read somewhere that 3 was being worked on. I love the Riley character so much.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yup, officially finished my new album. this one is metal (sorry for those of you who enjoyed the one from a couple weeks ago that was much more accessible than my usual stuff) and i'm really proud of it. will be coming out next friday!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just ordered some of the Rob Sheridan designed face masks... I think it'll make me feel a bit better over all (even if I don't really get out much anyways). Sure, I don't really expect them to arrive within a month but I have ordered them...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m not taking the educated estimates of how long this will likely go on very well.

I recognize the selfishness of this but oh man, my depression (which is usually awful) is on a different level.

Lots of “whens” becoming “ifs.”
    Last edited by Swykk; 04-14-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Every time I think about this “isolate at home” stuff, I reflect on how hard it is right now for families who haven’t started getting any unemployment, yet, and can’t put any food on the table for their kids. And their kids are hungry, and sometimes have to go to bed hungry. And just going to a food pantry to get food is scary because it might put Mom’s life in danger, but their children starving is worse.

I think about all those Essential Worker warriors who must work on the front lines all day, every day, putting themselves in constant danger, saving lives, watching death, holding hands, or just simply delivering goods, fulfilling orders, ringing up and bagging groceries, all day, to help us, risking their own lives.

And I focus on how blessed I am compared to them, and I send out as much positive energy as I can muster and I donate money to food pantries, and I direct my energies to sewing or to reading or to organizing, and I remember my mantra:

And this, too, shall pass.

Being grateful isn’t a natural state of existence. We have to be deliberately conscious of it. We have to work at it.

Every day, we can at least be grateful for one thing. Even if it’s for not being on a ventilator.

If you are one of those Essential Workers, we are really grateful for you. You don’t deserve this. This isn’t fair.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-14-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It's always fun when you read an article whose premise you were discussing earlier in the day.

The Atlantic: Generation C Has Nowhere to Turn

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I've caught a few of these live...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I watched the first one live. I'm pretty sure they were hammered. Sometimes the bickering is a little weird to witness.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Can I steal this?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yup, officially finished my new album. this one is metal (sorry for those of you who enjoyed the one from a couple weeks ago that was much more accessible than my usual stuff) and i'm really proud of it. will be coming out next friday!
    there may be a delay in release...because the label that put together that compilation i'm on might want to put it out!!! SO EXCITED about even the prospect of that.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I wish I was painting/drawing more.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Can I steal this?
    I did so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Being grateful isn’t a natural state of existence. We have to be deliberately conscious of it. We have to work at it.
    One of my top three aphorisms: If you are not happy with what you have, you will not be happy with what you get. This is quite likely based upon early oral tradition recorded in the Mishna “Who is the rich person? The one who is happy with his lot” (Pirkei Avot, 4:1)

Dealing with this significant disruption to ordinary life has been difficult. And will continue to be difficult. But when I forget to accept the wisdom above, it's not just difficult, it's intolerable.

The emotional balance I am looking for now is somewhat difficult to explain. And even harder to achieve. I really suck at discussing emotional stuff. But what I am trying to achieve is a balance between acceptance of harsh reality and thankfulness that my family is still alive and doing well (aside from the stress). It may sound trite, but yes, it could be a lot worse.

Another thing which has been really affecting me, leading me to escapism and perhaps even mild psychosis, is the completely absurd lack of direction at the federal government level. I simply stopped listening. It's not healthy for me to listen to that.

It would be so beneficial if federal leadership would quite simply spell it out truthfully. It's going to be 18 months until things are back to Normal. If some semblance of normality occurs sooner, that would be great! I think we would all rejoice. This nasty trend of hinting at a return to normal in the near future is demoralizing. Because we all know it's simply not possible.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    This is quite likely based upon early oral tradition recorded in the Mishna “Who is the rich person? The one who is happy with his lot” (Pirkei Avot, 4:1)
    I've always liked "Who is the Master who make the grass green?"

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Anyone check out Joe Letz's face masks? I ordered a couple 25% Off code: BESAFE
    I also think I like this style better than the ones that go around the ears

https://www.berepulsive.com/collections/face-coverings

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Just ordered some of the Rob Sheridan designed face masks... I think it'll make me feel a bit better over all (even if I don't really get out much anyways). Sure, I don't really expect them to arrive within a month but I have ordered them...
    I picked up a couple as well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my emotional state is starting to get volatile. i was going to make a bagel sandwich for lunch and noticed mold on the (three) remaining bagels. i threw them in the trash a bit more harshly than i intended, which scared sarah, and then i started crying and feeling like i was going to have a panic attack.

honestly i'm surprised i haven't had a panic attack since this all started.

my manager called me yesterday (i work at starbucks, for those of you who don't know). i will not be getting paid anymore starting may 5th unless i come back to work. i told him i don't feel comfortable coming back until shelter-in-place is lifted, and i understand that i won't be getting paid (as i don't expect to be paid for not actually working). he totally gets it and is going to make sure i'll still have my job when i come back.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    my emotional state is starting to get volatile. i was going to make a bagel sandwich for lunch and noticed mold on the (three) remaining bagels. i threw them in the trash a bit more harshly than i intended
    If it’s any consolation, I slam moldy bagels into the trash like that all the time, usually accompanied by “what the FUCK! I wanted a fucking bagel and now I can’t have a bagel!” It feels good to let it all out.

Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    i was really hoping you were going to reference that <3
    @allegro that's pretty much what i did. my mom and i both do this thing where we go "god FUCKING damnit!" and to that i added "i was so excited about my bagel SANDWICH!"

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    i was really hoping you were going to reference that <3
    @allegro that's pretty much what i did. my mom and i both do this thing where we go "god FUCKING damnit!" and to that i added "i was so excited about my bagel SANDWICH!"
    Fuck yeah! Ya gotta let it out.

I stumbled across a TikTok the other day and now I can’t find it but it made me literally laugh out loud and it still makes me laugh when I think about it:

This pretty woman calmly sits down at a piano and she says she composed a song about Covid 19, and then she plays a few chords and then she opens her mouth and you expect a song to come out, then she SCREAMS!!!!!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    YouTube recommended this to me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I've decided I need to just not look at Twitter right now. I just went down a rabbit hole of (what I assume were) pro-Trump bots' posts, and I blame Twitter. Worst social media platform ever. Scum of the universe.