Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just had a session with my therapist over Zoom. it was...weird. i don't like video chatting at all, it's about equal to how much i dislike being on the phone. it was nice to talk to them and i was able to hide the box with my face in it but it mostly just felt awkward. i mostly talked about my anxiety regarding what's happening in the world.

my wife is doing a remote session with her therapist now, so i'm back to blasting records in my headphones.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

saw this getting retweeted today by a few different people I follow. Going to keep it in mind for future panic attacks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This week, I have been going for long walks in the woods, because that has always been a source of calm for me. We live next to many acres of conservation land, and also a large national wildlife refuge. We are very blessed to live here.

On my wandering journey tonight, it dawned on me that I currently crave being in a social situation, like church, or anything where people gather. This is so strange for me, as real-time social interaction is something I generally detest, because it's so very difficult for me.

And that brought to mind a song from long ago:

They took all the trees
    And put them in a tree museum
    And they charged all the people
    A dollar and a half to see 'em
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    'Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And they put up a parking lot

I will stay sane and cope with this crap. The alternative is not acceptable.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I had a bit of a wobble last week - just felt a bit overwhelmed by the horror of it all, and the dread of what's to come. This was caused, I think, by my having my routines completely upended without warning - no going to work, and kids at home. But things are better this week. My partner and I have figured out a schedule that enables us both to work a bit each day while tag teaming the childcare. And actually it's been really nice spending more time with the kids. I think I need to stop reading the news though.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    coping by laughing, right?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @allegro unrelated but i love your new avatar. walter is the best <3

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I woke up feeling optimistic that this will all be behind us by mid July. I will keep my optimism for as long as I can today. it helps.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well tonight's wander in the woods was interesting. I actually ran into another human, very far away from any trails or other signs of human activity. He asked me "how many did you find?" to which I responded "huh?" Apparently he treks though the woods searching for deer antlers. And he thought I was doing the same (I was not.) He found 23 so far this season, but only one pair. I did not question his unusual hobby, as he made it seem perfectly normal. And perhaps it is.

Spent awhile conversing with Antler Man (observing proper social distance of course) so it was getting dark when I began the journey back home. Feeling sure of myself I decided to take a new route instead of retracing my previous path. And I thusly became ensnared and entrapped in the most thorny and pokey snare of horticultural horror I have ever encountered. Coupled with boot-sucking mud sent by the devil.

Made it home safe despite the challenges. Dealing with that shit was easy compared to dealing with the reality of this virus situation. My oldest son is a nurse. His whole ward is now covid-19 patients. He has a lovely wife and two kids (my grandkids!) and I am so scared for all of them.

I must stay strong, or at least appear to be staying strong. And so far I think it's working. The family can sense I am concerned. But I think they are not aware of the sheer terror in my heart. Please, do not tell them that I am am scared.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I couldn’t not share this one.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Well tonight's wander in the woods was interesting. I actually ran into another human, very far away from any trails or other signs of human activity. He asked me "how many did you find?" to which I responded "huh?" Apparently he treks though the woods searching for deer antlers. And he thought I was doing the same (I was not.) He found 23 so far this season, but only one pair. I did not question his unusual hobby, as he made it seem perfectly normal. And perhaps it is.
    That sounds like the opening scene of a horror flick - I love it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Buck shed their antler pretty much every year. The buck grow new antler. People make all kinds of rustic stuff from the shed antler. I’ve seen it on HGTV LOL. One guy made a huge Christmas Tree this past season.

https://www.wideopencountry.com/10-h...-with-antlers/

Last edited by allegro; 03-26-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Speaking of HGTV ...

HGTV is my Covid-19 survival tool.

I’m overwhelmed with press conferences and news.

Yet my mind is too anxious to focus on a book.

So I do marathons of “Love It Or List It.”

And now I’m going to paint the spare bedroom.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Someone at my mother's seniors' residence was hospitalized earlier this week, was diagnosed positive, and is now back home as their case was considered as not needing extensive medical attention and there being a need to keep beds available.

Which I totally get.

Flip side of that is that now the facility is in complete lockdown mode. Visitors have been prohibited for two weeks, but I was at least able to deliver groceries. I was informed on delivering a few supplies tonight that no more are to be accepted. They only took my bag because I was also delivering her meds.

She hates the food there. Being extremely nervous and paranoid, she doesn't trust the staff (and has never trusted any figure of authority). She's perpetually irate, fearful and irritable, hypertensive. She calls me multiple times daily - even at the best of times - to either vent her neverending frustrations or confide her visions of Catholic saints and their messages and prophecies of Armageddon.

The next few months are not going to be easy. Grateful for new NIN.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Grateful for new NIN.
    Wait, what

EDIT: Holy shit, I had no idea, lol. Glad I read this post, damn. Downloading now.
    Last edited by Mantra; 03-27-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My GP has now told me that I'm *not* high risk and I can leave the house now (as much as anyone can at least) which is great news! Yey me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I bet that was a relief! It's scary being in the high risk category...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I bet that was a relief! It's scary being in the high risk category...

Honestly after 7 days of not seeing another person I'm looking forward to going to back to work and just shouting "hi" at someone from a safe distance

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    was nice to see my parents yesterday but not as nice to not be able to hug them or touch any surface without wiping it down before and after.

laid down all of the instrumentals for covers of "teclo" by pj harvey and "anon" by low, now i'm just hoping a couple friends can do vocals. will hopefully be going back a day next week to work on two more songs.

getting new NIN yesterday was such a nice surprise. and as someone whose most listened-to album is ghosts i-iv, this is like a dream come true. doing a proper headphone listen-through right now and i'm loving what i'm hearing.

i'm definitely having a hard time with social isolation. i thrive on in-person interaction and physical touch, and sarah knows that i can't get everything i need from her (and honestly i feel like it's not healthy to depend on a single person for all of your emotional fulfillment...but i won't get into that now). i also have two friends going through bad breakups and i just want to be able to bring them both soup and chocolate and hugs.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Yesterday we had to put down our cat, and it was the absolute worse. Obviously having to let her go totally sucked, but because of the coronavirus the vet had strict rules. You drive up to the building, and you were to stay in your car the whole time. The doctor and nurses will come up to you to talk to you, and take your pet from your car and carry them into the building. They didn't allow anyone in the building. So here I am crying in my car holding my cat, while there are other cars parked around me like a restaurant Drive-Thru with their dogs barking and whatnot, it was so uncomfortable and unreal. I understand they want to be safe, but you could tell the main doctor was the only one on duty yesterday and she was tired, and kind of quick and short with everyone. They also had to put the needle in her arm ahead of time inside the building, so I'm holding her while "waiting our turn" with this thing in her arm in my car. I fucking hated it, and I'm sure it scared her too.
    Luckily they allowed us inside the building in one room to euthanize her so we were able to say goodbye holding her.

But man, I don't wish anyone to experience this.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Yesterday we had to put down our cat
    Oh I'm so sorry!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Yesterday we had to put down our cat, and it was the absolute worse. Obviously having to let her go totally sucked, but because of the coronavirus the vet had strict rules. You drive up to the building, and you were to stay in your car the whole time. The doctor and nurses will come up to you to talk to you, and take your pet from your car and carry them into the building. They didn't allow anyone in the building. So here I am crying in my car holding my cat, while there are other cars parked around me like a restaurant Drive-Thru with their dogs barking and whatnot, it was so uncomfortable and unreal. I understand they want to be safe, but you could tell the main doctor was the only one on duty yesterday and she was tired, and kind of quick and short with everyone. They also had to put the needle in her arm ahead of time inside the building, so I'm holding her while "waiting our turn" with this thing in her arm in my car. I fucking hated it, and I'm sure it scared her too.
    Luckily they allowed us inside the building in one room to euthanize her so we were able to say goodbye holding her.

But man, I don't wish anyone to experience this.
    big hugs, friend. i'm still fucked up from our family cat having to be put down in 2011. i can only imagine what it's like not being able to be with a companion when that happens.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Thank you everyone

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    OMG the cabin fever... I'm going to start reading The Shining.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Someone uploaded all of the 90s adaptation of The Stand onto YouTube. I’m tempted.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @ickyvicky , I’m so sorry for your experience and your loss, that’s so awful.

Most vets around here (including my own) have gone to the drive-up no-contact thing; I have a special-needs senior cat, plus I’m helping to care for an elderly friend’s senior special-needs cat. I have anxiety ALL THE TIME about your scenario happening. I’m glad they at least didn’t make you wait in the car and you could be with her while she passed.

FWIW, when I was with my Mom and her cat when we had to euthanize her kitty when kitty got bad cancer a few years ago, they took the kitty into another room to insert the port into her arm while we waited in the examining room, then they brought kitty back to be with us for when the actual euthanization happened (much like what happened with you, minus a car).

I’ve called a pet euthanasia at home service for my last 4 pets, but I assume they are not in business right now.

Hugs to you.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-27-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm working from home obviously.

My mom has taken to ordering from Thredup as a way to shop a lot without spending a ton of money and without leaving the house. It keeps her occupied and happy.

Of course, given my background (microbiology) I'm very strict with how we deal with incoming mail. She knows to take everything outside, spray things down before unpacking the deliveries, etc. I'm sitting in the office, and I can see her unpacking her new purchases, and she looks happy. I know I have to step outside and make sure she leaves the items in the sun and heat, tell her she can try on the clothes later this evening. I know I have to make sure she goes inside and washes her hands before touching anything.

I'm listening to Ghosts V: Together, and I just got caught up with how fucked everything is. This is the new normal. I live in constant fear for her well being. And I am choking back tears. The music just echoes the feeling in my chest while I'm trying not to bawl my eyes out.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I do find working from home has definitely glued all of us even more to our computers and phones. To all the people (except kids) that say they are watching all the Netflix shows and listening to all the music, when are you doing this? Because we are definitely not.