Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Today is a struggling with it kind of day.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Today I went to the beach for the first time since March. I decided to go early because it's FL and people just don't care.
    The water was warm, and I saw some dolphins. It was nice floating along for a while before sitting on the beach.

The longer I sat there, the more conscious I became of being the lone person just sitting by themself. I must have looked rather pathetic, I guess. Normally being at the beach cheers me up, but today it just amplified how lonely I am. If I could socialize normally, I would find ways to make friends. But I can't.

I left much earlier than I would have liked, but it was just as well. The warm water made it a haven for jellyfish. As the morning opened up, I could see the beach was going to be packed. Even when I went to wash my feet off, some guy with no mask had no problem using one 3 feet from me. I stepped back and let him finish before I used it. People here just don't give a fuck. And it's going to prolong everything...including my isolation.

I just want to have friends at this point.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    you’re still in atlanta, right? i have also noticed that people are acting like there’s no pandemic here.
    I've never felt so fortunate to live where I live right now.

Even going out to dinner around here, because people around here LOVE eating al fresco, is not a scary experience because every surface is cleaned before you sit down, all tables are distanced, and everyone wears masks until they sit down. Everyone around us in our area is respectful. And now we have a new state law that requires that we wear masks while the waitstaff is there and we're placing our orders, etc. It's kind of hard to keep putting your mask back on each time someone arrives to refill your water or deliver more food dishes or whatever, but we're all getting used to it; we just turn our heads the other way of cover our faces with our hands if we can't get to a mask in time.

It's so nice being able to enjoy this while we can, because the cold weather is quickly approaching. Although, I think many restaurants are going to employ propane heaters to try to extend the outdoor seating for as long as possible. Most patrons are still refusing to sit indoors around here (us, included). We were at one of our favorite local establishments last week, and they had just purchased two large propane towers that ran out of propane by the end of the night. Our waiter told us that they couldn't find any more propane towers, everybody was sold out. He acknowledged that they'd need to purchase backup propane tanks.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-27-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

Even going out to dinner around here, because people around here LOVE eating al fresco, is not a scary experience because every surface is cleaned before you sit down, all tables are distanced, and everyone wears masks until they sit down. Everyone around us in our area is respectful. And now we have a new state law that requires that we wear masks while the waitstaff is there and we're placing our orders, etc. It's kind of hard to keep putting your mask back on each time someone arrives to refill your water or deliver more food dishes or whatever, but we're all getting used to it; we just turn our heads the other way of cover our faces with our hands if we can't get to a mask in time.

It's so nice being able to enjoy this while we can, because the cold weather is quickly approaching. Although, I think many restaurants are going to employ propane heaters to try to extend the outdoor seating for as long as possible. Most patrons are still refusing to sit indoors around here (us, included). We were at one of our favorite local establishments last week, and they had just purchased two large propane towers that ran out of propane by the end of the night. Our waiter told us that they couldn't find any more propane towers, everybody was sold out. He acknowledged that they'd need to purchase backup propane tanks.
    Why is it so drastic from one place to another is what I am wondering. It's the same like that here in Canada. Some provinces, every single person is complying with the masks, others... not so much. Wish I could say mine is the one that's complying, but... they're not. Ontario and quebec got on the mandatroy mask train really fast.

I just don't get why some places try and rebel against it so hard. Why are people so foolish?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

seems like it must be better in the suburbs because in the city it's a shit-show. tables aren't spaced out nearly enough. people aren't putting their masks on when their servers come near. too many places have indoor dining available without proper precautions. idunno. i feel like doing curbside pickup / delivery should be everyone's go-to right now. i'd kill to sit outside and have a meal (we have no outdoor area available at our apartment, sadly) but not at the risk of a server's health.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    you’re still in atlanta, right? i have also noticed that people are acting like there’s no pandemic here. it’s a rough realization that we are 7 fucking months into this people do not care. i’ve been unfollowing people left and right because they’re instagram stories are filled with parties and events. i’m both jealous and appalled. i miss life. i miss places. i don’t miss assholes tho and they’re everywhere. they’re trying to send the kids back to school in a month and it’s very upsetting. i’ve had numerous immune problems the last couple years and i do not feel like it’s safe for my children to go back to school. my son wants to go back. he really misses school. he said the school days don’t fly by like they used to. it makes me sad that he and my daughter have to deal with this. i wish i could change it for them.

on the upside... i went to an outdoor rooftop yoga class yesterday that was nice. i had to get into an elevator with two other people to get there and i was the only one wearing a mask. BUT my mask inspired them to put theirs on for the elevator ride.
    I moved from Atlanta earlier this month to South Carolina. I think it's even worse than Atlanta, to be honest. ATL was a shit show, no doubt. With some of the highest spikes in the country and people "have the right" not to wear a mask in public. But here in SC, literally no one wears a mask unless they have to go into a store where it is "mandated." They don't really enforce it in public, at all.

More than anything, I miss going to the movies. There was a movie theater down the street from where I lived that was $5. As I am an old man and would go to the 1030 shows. lol. It was a more cheap thing to do in Atlanta and I enjoy watching movies. Of course concerts too.. It was such a big identity of who I was and I really miss taping concerts. One day I know it will happen again. But it's so early, I have no idea when that will happen again.

The school thing is just crazy. A catch 22. Formative years are very important. But at what cost during a pandemic? Again, seems like a big risk for teachers and students. I can't imagine how it is for kids during these times not seeing their friends. As an adult, you get it (or hopefully most) and the importance of distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Today I went to the beach for the first time since March. I decided to go early because it's FL and people just don't care.
    The water was warm, and I saw some dolphins. It was nice floating along for a while before sitting on the beach.

The longer I sat there, the more conscious I became of being the lone person just sitting by themself. I must have looked rather pathetic, I guess. Normally being at the beach cheers me up, but today it just amplified how lonely I am. If I could socialize normally, I would find ways to make friends. But I can't.

I left much earlier than I would have liked, but it was just as well. The warm water made it a haven for jellyfish. As the morning opened up, I could see the beach was going to be packed. Even when I went to wash my feet off, some guy with no mask had no problem using one 3 feet from me. I stepped back and let him finish before I used it. People here just don't give a fuck. And it's going to prolong everything...including my isolation.

I just want to have friends at this point.
    Shouldn't look at it that way.. I love doing things by myself and no one is judging you for going to the beach alone. It's a really nice place to just listen to the waves and decompress. I usually go for like an hour max, but I feel so much better once I do go.

I am very fortunate to live with my girlfriend and we pretty much do everything together. Atlanta was a stepping stone to where we wanted to be. With my schooling, making friends wasn't top on my priority there lol. I miss my friends back in Detroit and San Diego and I've been making it a priority to send cards and just throw a text out here and there when I can. Any sort of contact is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Why is it so drastic from one place to another is what I am wondering....

I just don't get why some places try and rebel against it so hard. Why are people so foolish?
    Because you are violating their personal rights and the virus isn't a real threat. I don't get how wearing a mask is all that big of a deal to begin with lol

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    seems like it must be better in the suburbs because in the city it's a shit-show. tables aren't spaced out nearly enough. people aren't putting their masks on when their servers come near. too many places have indoor dining available without proper precautions. idunno. i feel like doing curbside pickup / delivery should be everyone's go-to right now. i'd kill to sit outside and have a meal (we have no outdoor area available at our apartment, sadly) but not at the risk of a server's health.
    If we have a few days of warmer weather, come up to Highland Park! Billy Corgan’s new tea house is open again and even they have an outdoor area and vegan food. Pretty much EVERYBODY has a ton of outdoor dining up here, spaced far apart. There’s a new Lao Sze Chuan on Sheridan next to Norton’s that’s pretty good, they have about six tables really far apart.

Even Morton’s has outdoor dining, as does Prairie Grass and Charlie Beinlich’s (all on Skokie in Northbrook).

Everyone wears masks everywhere, the servers stand really far back and put your food on the other side of the table. It’s such a great respite from being holed up inside, plus it keeps servers employed.

I think many people do not know about the new Illinois mask law regarding servers, because everyone up here really tries fairly hard to follow the rules and if you see them not putting a mask on around servers, it’s kind of obvious that the Governor didn’t advertise the new law enough. The servers are handling by maintaining 6 feet, just like at the grocery stores.

I was going into the UPS store in Deerfield at Waukegan and Deerfield to drop off a package and they have these GIANT SIGNS on the door plus the windows that say MASKS REQUIRED and this old man gets out of a BENTLEY CONVERTIBLE with no mask and waltzes in and we’re all looking at him, like, DUDE! COME ON! UPS guy says sorry sir you gotta wear a mask, old guy says oh man sorry I totally forgot it in the car, and runs back out to the car and gets it and comes back in wearing the mask. No big deal. I saw the same thing at the Binny’s: old man forgot but then went and got it in his car, no fuss no muss. He looked at my husband and me and said “ugh, I keep forgetting my mask.”
    Last edited by allegro; 09-28-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

just a little teaser for my new album. if you're interested in it, it's available to pre-order on both digital AND CASSETTE! i'm very excited about it!

also, this friday is another bandcamp day...and i have a surprise single dropping that a lot of folks around here should like a lot more than my usual stuff. it sounds like The Soft Moon & NIN, there's no screaming, and it's upbeat, despite the dark subject matter of the lyrics. i'll post when it's available!

back on topic, i guess(?), just ordered grocery pickup from Mariano's for the first time ever. there were a few things that were unavailable (as in they didn't even show up on the website), and browsing isn't the smoothest process, but the search function works great, and you can leave notes on individual items for your shopper. hoping there's a way to tip when i pick up later...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I work on a hospital campus. I don't work for the hospital but instead I work for the...company?...who oversees the hospitals in the region. I can't translate to civilian very well on this one, I don't have an analogue to point to. Sorry.

Anyway.

I was in the little shop/cafeteria thing getting a soda and some combos because I'm depressed and I'm not eating right. There's this guy who is loudly talking about how it's best to be an E5 in the Navy because you're in the right pay grade to coast blah blah blah fucking squids (I kid, the Navy does great work) and is just generally being the kind of person that you listen to and know why they're not in any more. Then I finally get in line and see he's not wearing a mask on top of talking loudly. I'm mildly annoyed at this because really? a) loud talking is a vector and b) not wearing a mask is also a vector and c) you're in a hospital. Also there's a person at the door who is supposed to check for masks and make you wear them so wtf.

So I pay for my stuff and I stop at the front where the door checker is and ask about employees and masks because I was under the impression it’s 100%, period. He more or less confirms that and while we’re talking I see loud talker down the hallway. I point and say, well what about him? He turns around right when someone at the end of the hallway asks “where’s your mask” and the person points to his pocket. He’s asked to put it on and he says he’s not going to. LT walks towards us and the door checker asks him where his mask is. He again points to his pocket and says “it’s right here”. He is again asked to put it on and he says he’s just going into the room and opens the door and walks in.

I went from mildly annoyed to incensed to writing an email to the chief of housekeeping. If he is in housekeeping and also refusing to wear a mask that is a potential infection point for a lot of different places.

Also how did he get past COVID checker without a mask on?

The good news is that I got an email back fairly quickly - while I was writing this, actually:
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Yes, we are required to comply 100% with the mask policy on campus regardless of where you are. I believe I have an idea of who this may be and will be addressing this issue with my whole staff.
    This is a "first strike and you're out" kind of thing right now.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

100% inspired by NIN & The Soft Moon, so very different than my other recent output. extremely proud of this. hope you all enjoy it, too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Things are changing for me next week, I have been given a three month contract of 25 hours a week working back in the libraries (I have a zero hours contract working relief with them) I'm really pleased on one hand as it's at my two favourite libraries, it may lead to a proper job and helps with the financial stuff. The bad news is that the R rating is still rising in the UK. I'm sensible, I have been wearing a mask since March and there are screens installed and restricted services. Can't say I'm not worried at all, but trying to be realistic. Covid looks as though it's not going away soon and this is an opportunity I've been looking for for 16 months.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Saw this on Instagram today. Hell, it might have been one of y’all that posted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    don't know if anyone listens to the Halloweenies podcast, but several of the people on it are (actual, IRL) friends of mine. they just offered me the job of editing some of their episodes (and getting paid to do it!) so i'm starting this week with...jason takes manhattan. WOOF. hahahaha

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    spent the weekend moving crap out of, cleaning, and setting up the room for peanut (that's what we've been calling the baby).

i LOVE building furniture. but the dresser/changing table (that can eventually be converted to a desk) that we got from ikea was a fucking NIGHTMARE. i've been building stuff from ikea for literally 20 years and i've never had this much trouble. but i got it done, and it's super cute! now we just need to find a place to put all the shit we moved out of the room hahahaha. i really wish we had, like, one more closet. at our old place we had a regular coat closet in the front hall, and then a double-sized one by the bedrooms & bathroom, and it was great! one of the only things i miss about our old place...

oh, btw, i have a music video for one of the songs off my upcoming album (which comes out a month from tomorrow!!!) premiering tomorrow on Astral Noize and i'm SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

In recent years, the best metal has been that which ignores convention and walks freely across genre boundaries. Under the Everson Poe moniker, Mae Shults has exemplified this fact for over a decade, but they’ve truly outdone themself this year, releasing three albums (one post-punk, one metal, one electronic) with a fourth soon to follow.

Rituals may be the Everson Poe’s fourth album of 2020, but it is nonetheless an expansive, ambitious affair, full of both beauty and devastation. This much is proved by new single ‘Fallow/Hallowed’, a slow-burning doomy number inspired by a disdain for religious zealotry.

“Despite the original inspiration for the song being a scene from the cartoon show Gravity Falls (wherein Bill Cipher offers Gideon a handful of deer teeth), ‘Fallow / Hallowed’ is rooted in the same thematic world as the rest of the album: rituals and religion,” Shults tells us. “To that effect, it seemed fitting to utilise parts of Häxan [for the video], the semi-documentary about witchcraft through the ages.”

Astral Noize is thrilled to be bring you this enchanting, bleak track a month ahead of Rituals‘ release date. Check it out below then head to the Everson Poe Bandcamp to pre-order the full album.
    https://astralnoizeuk.com/2020/10/11...llow-hallowed/

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My mother-in-law passed away peacefully in her home on Sunday to cancer. Just sucks we can't give her the funeral or memorial service she deserves because of covid. We plan on doing something when it's all over, but who the hell knows when that'll be. The world is already hard enough, and this just makes it harder.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm so sorry, losing someone this year is so much harder.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Sorry for your loss @ickyvicky

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Got flu like symptoms last Wed eve and spent the weekend dealing with a fever, aches and cough. Started to get better on Sunday but I noticed that my sense of smell and taste fading away. Got tested Monday and received a call that I tested positive yesterday. I am in self quarantine till next week. Apart from some fatigue and note being able to taste/or smell anything it seems like the worst of it came and went. I hope that I don't have any weird and lingering underlying conditions because of this. Not sure where I could have picked it up since I tend to wear a mask places and I don't really socialize with anyone.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i am so fucking happy

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's slowly dawning on me the possibility of change that will happen as a result of the mishandling and prolonging of this disease. Mental, personal, emotional ones. It makes the future much more unknowable and almost frightening to think about. Things were so much of a mess anyway it isn't new, but the invasion it has had on all of our lives have made these possibilities more possible. Maybe there will be good, and maybe even great things to come out of it. The randomness of life is such that it consistently always pats your shoulder with one hand while wielding a knife behind it's back with the other.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @ickyvicky , sorry for your loss.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Thank you all for your condolences. She was very to lucky to only have to deal with her cancer battle for 4 months and die peacefully at home surrounded by her family.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

not helping but kind of helping, CDC. geez.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    A man on a tractor has just driven past me yelling, “The end of the world is nigh.”

I think it was Farmer Geddon
    sorrynotsorry