Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Jubilee

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Jubilee

Jubilee was a band that existed around 2008 under the infamous Buddyhead Records label. Fronted by venerable guitar-swinger Aaron North (who also played the guitar in a small outfit called Nine Inch Nails), the band released 5 singles before dissolving.

I remember discovering Jubilee via Echoing The Sound & the Hotline when they released this song:

A new band with Aaron North? And Josh Freese was drumming on their banger of a lead single? Sign me the fuck up. But unfortunately, an album never materialized, and Aaron North himself ran into some rough times a few years later.

Every few months, Rebel Hiss popped into my head and stuck around for a while. But songs released on the internet in 2008 had limitations that we don't have to deal with today - namely, bandwidth and storage considerations. I had never heard anything close to a high-quality audio version of the single, and the song bouncing around in my head featured weird audio artifacts and a distinct tinniness.

There's some side effects of Buddyhead Records being dead in all but spirit. Jubilee is not available on Spotify. I can't find anything on iTunes. Amazon Music doesn't have it - though it does have some physical releases kicking around. Copies of the Rebel Hiss single on YouTube have been garbage...until now.

I found a copy of this release of Rebel Hiss and snatched it up around two months ago. I forgot about it until today when a small package from China arrived in my mailbox. Coincidentally, the four songs of the single were uploaded today by some unknown hero to YouTube with spectrogram visualizations instead of just plain black backgrounds.

The label is dead and even though I don't think anyone who ever had anything to do with it cares, I won't be linking them here. But if you'd like to enjoy 320kbps versions of the Rebel Hiss single, you can search for the song titles along with the word "Spectrogram" on YouTube and you should find some decent quality Jubilee on the Internet. Finally.

Jubilee - Rebel Hiss (2008)

1. Rebel Hiss (3:47)
      • Drums - Josh Freese
      • Mixed By - Alex Newport
      • Written By - Jubilee

2. Fuzz Are Down (3:52)
      • Drums - Loren Humphrey
      • Mixed By - Alex Newport
      • Written By - Jubilee

3. The Fool On The Pill (3:24)
      • Mixed By - Edmund P. Monsef
      • Written By - Jubilee

4. L.A. (3:10)
      • Drums - Troy Petrey
      • Mixed By - Edmund P. Monsef
      • Written By - Neil Young

Backing Vocals – Evan Weiss
    Bass – Michael Shuman*
    Engineer – Lawrence Harris
    Guitar – Aaron North, Evan Weiss
    Layout – Shelby Cinca
    Mastered By – Pete Lyman
    Photography By – Travis Keller
    Producer – Aaron North, Michael Shuman*
    Recorded By – Lawrence Harris
    Vocals – Aaron North, Michael Shuman*

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Here is probably the only pro shot footage of band.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The only Jubilee song I knew of was this awesome song that features Maynard.
    Apparently Trent worked on this song too.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Rebel Hiss" has that fun breakdown at the end with Freese playing the floor tom and kick triplets. Always thought that was badass.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    A good but brief project. One EP and a single didn't produce much of a catalog. I like it but it's nothing mind blowing. Song with Maynard is the best.

Wonder if Aaron North is in a better mind space these days. I kinda like him more than Robin Finck as NIN's guitarist.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Wonder if Aaron North is in a better mind space these days. I kinda like him more than Robin Finck as NIN's guitarist.
    He’s a aspiring comedian now.

https://instagram.com/generic_prescr...=13owlbvjitbok

That’s his Instagram account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    He’s a aspiring comedian now.

https://instagram.com/generic_prescr...=13owlbvjitbok

That’s his Instagram account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I seen. I went on a search after I posted that since I didn't for years.

Good for him, can't say how much of it is good or not as I didn't find any video. Long as he's productive and leading the best version of a normal life he can then more power to him. Shame what happened. I could have still seen him as an integral part of the band before Ross joined. Hell, who knows what North could've done in band if he kept up touring duties and relationships, let alone Jubilee.