Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It sucks to be a fan of...(insert band/artist)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I’m not sure I understand this thread. Does it suck to be a fan of something because everyone hates it or are you hating on the band?
    Either. A better question might be "it's frustrating to be a fan of..."

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Guess it sucked to be a Tool fan up until the release of FI.

I always thought that being a Killing Joke fan is rather frustrating with lots of postponed releases and some stuff never seeing the light of day. Fortunately the band is touring more consistently these days.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I’m not sure I understand this thread. Does it suck to be a fan of something because everyone hates it or are you hating on the band?
    Yeah, some of it's just "let's hate the band". I think @SchwarzerAbt had it right with his mention of lostprophets where it actually legit sucks to be a fan of the band.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    As I Lay Dying. Wtf Tim.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Eagles of Death Metal. After the France terrorist attack, Jesse went bonkers.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    1000% EoDM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    As I Lay Dying. Wtf Tim.
    Include Austrian Death Machine with that too, love that project but seriously though wtf Tim?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Iím not sure I understand this thread. Does it suck to be a fan of something because everyone hates it or are you hating on the band?
    I think the original post was more "ugh, this band kind of sucks, why do they do such dumb shit after I've gotten into them?" stance. And then everyone responding went with the "it must suck to like this band because other people are always making fun of the band / their fans" angle. So I'd say let's go with "both".

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Must be weird being a Filter fan. Basically a one hit wonder band from the mid 90s still riding off Trent Reznor's name. Richard must be very alienating to his fanbase with his constant gushing over Trent, his unhinged political rantings, announcing and then cancelling albums, announcing and cancelling tours, his pledge music fiasco etc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Brand New. Because fuck Jesse Lacey.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Must be weird being a Filter fan. Basically a one hit wonder band from the mid 90s still riding off Trent Reznor's name. Richard must be very alienating to his fanbase with his constant gushing over Trent, his unhinged political rantings, announcing and then cancelling albums, announcing and cancelling tours, his pledge music fiasco etc.
    They are actually a two-hit wonder, with HMNS and TAP. I actually enjoy being a Filter fan--a new album every few years and the shows are awesome. I don't mind his political positions at all as I generally agree with him. I also don't mind the NIN connection. If I were a member of NIN for even five minutes I'd always be taking about it.

I sort of stopped following what was going on with his new album. I'll check it out when it's released.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have this uncanny ability to find bands I adore but when I check to see what they're doing next, they're already defunct. One of my biggest regrets is not finding out about Curve sooner. I looked them up and discovered that they'd broken up literally only a few hours earlier. The day I got into them was the day they died.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I have this uncanny ability to find bands I adore but when I check to see what they're doing next, they're already defunct. One of my biggest regrets is not finding out about Curve sooner. I looked them up and discovered that they'd broken up literally only a few hours earlier. The day I got into them was the day they died.
    Awesome band. First record is so friggin' good.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Can I send you a list of bands I don't want you to ever listen to?

similarly, how about a list of bands you should check out?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Can I send you a list of bands I don't want you to ever listen to?

similarly, how about a list of bands you should check out?
    Sure, go ahead. I won't stop you. Always up for something new. Or old.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    donna summer. still a huge fan despite her alleged homophobia. such a disappointment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Pearl Jam. Especially compared to 6 years ago.

Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    In real life, it seems like nobody really cares or even knows. I suppose I'm thankful most people I've met and known don't take the piss or lash out at people's preferences. (Not to say that they never did either, but at least they stop at some point.) If anything, they sometimes seem eager to know more about anything they haven't heard about before.

On the Internet however, one truly must watch out, unless they can handle it and/or simply not care altogether.

Anyway, I'd still have to say Insane Clown Posse, which is pretty much self-explanatory on ETS. Even as far as gimmicks go, Marilyn Manson and Slipknot have been and will continue to be millions of times easier to explain. It truly sucks not just when having to explain a band, but to explain why you like the band as if you never should've ever liked the band to start with. Ever. I still don't even follow them as much as I used to, but that type of experience as a fan is very unforgettable.

As we've all known for what seems to be almost 20 years, Marilyn Manson in terms of touring/concerts.

As far as gaps in between albums, I'd also have to say Guns N' Roses and Tool for very obvious reasons discussed countless times over here and in general. At this point, I really wonder how many albums will be put out by them in my lifetime.

And with all the "anti" memes and jokes that seem to have dwarfed the ones aimed at Limp Bizkit and Creed, I'd also have to include Nickelback. While I'm certainly no stranger to being a fan of bands people can't stand, the stigma of liking Nickelback just never seems to go away. (Not speaking from personal experience.)

This then also leads me wonder what Soulja Boy and Justin Bieber fans must've gone through and probably still go through. (Also not speaking from personal experience.)

And as far as set-lists, I've read lots of complaints about Ministry before, since even Al actually admitted that he usually prefers to go no more than 3 albums back when it comes to the majority of the set-list.

Oh, right, and wasn't Killing Joke also sometimes notorious for also cancelling tours at the last minute? (As if to pull some sort of Death Grips long before Death Grips.) That was probably one of the reasons as to why I missed out on seeing them a second time. I hope to wish for better luck next time as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burninglard View Post
    Pearl Jam. Especially compared to 6 years ago.
    what happened six years ago?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    what happened six years ago?
    Lightning Bolt was released towards the end of 2013.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was joking.

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    must suck to like Megadeth... or I dunno, Ted Nugent

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    It sucks to be a fan of Robert Palmer (I started a thread for him, here, which mostly went nowhere) because almost everyone I know associates him with terrible music videos and Christian Bale in American Psycho. He has a great catalogue of music completely overshadowed by his 80s mega-stardom and had a battle over his estate, leaving control of curation for his work in the hands of clueless record labels.
    Last edited by botley; 02-22-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It sucks to be a fan of Robert Palmer (I started a thread for him, here, which mostly went nowhere) because almost everyone I know associates him with terrible music videos and Christian Bale in American Psycho. He has a great catalogue of music completely overshadowed by his 80s mega-stardom and had a battle over his estate, leaving control of curation for his work in the hands of clueless record labels.
    My earliest memories of any music videos are the emotionless but good looking women in his videos.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    My earliest memories of any music videos are the emotionless but good looking women in his videos.
    It was a pre-Internet meme... everyone from "Weird" Al Yankovic to Shania Twain took the piss out of those clips.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Nickleback....not a fan, but man it must suck being one.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    TOOL because it became this:

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    ^
    II
    II
    II
    II

painfully accurate!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tool. I can't afford this shit no more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    i learned about Palmer's first couple albums because of my interest in Allen Toussaint. Had no idea he was anything more than Addicted to Love and Simply Irresistible. Man i love that first album tho.