Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gave Up (Remix) - Vocal effect plug in

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Gave Up (Remix) - Vocal effect plug in

    Hi guys,


    This has been bugging me for years because back in the day I HAD this Plug-in and it worked fantastically. That random vocal chop to the beat.

    Being a dummy, I completely forgot the name of this tool and it's pretty hard to Google search this specifically. (It was EASY the first time I did it back in 2000ish.)

    Of course, this tool may no longer work, but with it being SUCH a cool effect, I can't be the only one who want to play around with it.


    Thanks a million!!

    Rockasoo.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's called tape splicing. You need to cut the tape that the vocals are recorded to and re-arrange the pieces to the beat.

    See this video, except you are of course finding interesting pieces to keep rather than remove:


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Maybe it was a glitch effect, or a beat-repeat (or gate) effect. Have you looked at the KVR Audio Database?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Maybe it was a glitch effect, or a beat-repeat (or gate) effect. Have you looked at the KVR Audio Database?
    It was 1992.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    It was 1992.
    I know. I'm talking about the specific plugin the OP was referring to, not Danny Hyde and John Balance's destruction of Trent's vocals.
    Last edited by wizfan; 02-04-2020 at 07:43 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The land down under
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if this is whats being referred to here but I read or listened to an interview (perhaps with Danny Hyde) a few years ago where he talked about the making of this remix.

    The detail that stuck with me was of him describing Balance creating the choppy vocal effect by clicking his computer mouse across a screen as fast as he could essentially making the 'chops' like that.

    Sorry, that's a little hazy but hopefully an interesting titbit anyway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    I'm not sure if this is whats being referred to here but I read or listened to an interview (perhaps with Danny Hyde) a few years ago where he talked about the making of this remix.

    The detail that stuck with me was of him describing Balance creating the choppy vocal effect by clicking his computer mouse across a screen as fast as he could essentially making the 'chops' like that.

    Sorry, that's a little hazy but hopefully an interesting titbit anyway.
    Gah! You are right! I found the article you referenced. BUT I KNOW there is some software that does randomly chops and outputs vocals based on input vocals/sounds/anything with a waveform. I saw it possibly on this very forum and downloaded the software and used it to success. Of course the one example I have has been removed from Soundcloud I did a version of Eminem's Without Me where Eminem is spout random jibberish, perfectly and on beat..

    I just wish I knew what the software/plug-in was called!!

    Here is the article, btw. For a human this would be a hellish task, but for a modern computer..


    "The looped chopped-up vocal on 'Gave-Up' is astounding, would you care to elaborate on how did you did it? What was the technique behind it? You didn't ever use it on any Coil tracks, did you?
    I actually did a radio interview where I went through the process of that looped, chopped-up thing. Basically, like the baby-alarm thing, I had a slightly off-the-wall type idea, let's try this. You gotta remember this was before software and everything was relatively easy to do but I thought why don't we take a sample of a whole verse and fire it at certain input, like quavers and the old Akai S1000 had two knobs on it one for the ratio increments and one to move the cursor. So for instance you could move to where the start of the sample was going to fire from with one knob and move the other knob to move the amount of tens, thousands of the sample so if you were having the right hand wheel set for say quavers every time you moved the left hand knob well as soon as you twiddled the right knob it could move some other increment that had nothing to do with music. So if you were firing both these controls at once it meant, while the sample was being triggered with sixteenths or triplets or eighths or whatever it meant you never knew what was going to come out from the sample. The sample would be triggered by a certain rate but firing from a different point each time dependent upon where the person threw the cursor. And also the rhythm of the sample that was originally recorded in there would have its own rhythm working fired from wherever it was being fired. So that was the idea and it worked quite well on 'Gave-Up'. I mean as opposed to what you might do with a dance track where you'd take a hundred samples and map them out on a keyboard and then someone would sit there playing them. Believe me after three or four goes they'd be bored shitless and they'd get into a pattern which would sound predictable but with this you could never ever replicate it again. It would be impossible; it would be a billion-to-one due to the amount of variables."

    http://www.compulsiononline.com/interview_dannyhyde.htm

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not the plugin, but Guitar Rig has a little beat slicer in it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I interviewed Danny a few years back. We talk about it around the 52 minute mark.

    Although, if you're a fan of Coil at all, this is a really fun interview.

    https://guido-paparazzi.tumblr.com/p...ep14-dannyhyde

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The land down under
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I interviewed Danny a few years back. We talk about it around the 52 minute mark.

    Although, if you're a fan of Coil at all, this is a really fun interview.

    https://guido-paparazzi.tumblr.com/p...ep14-dannyhyde

    You're Guido???

    Gotta give you a huge thanks for those detailed Coil album reviews as they really encouraged me to dig into the entire (well, nearly...) back catalogue several years back!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockasoo View Post

    This has been bugging me for years because back in the day I HAD this Plug-in and it worked fantastically. That random vocal chop to the beat.

    Being a dummy, I completely forgot the name of this tool and it's pretty hard to Google search this specifically. (It was EASY the first time I did it back in 2000ish.)

    Similar time frame to what you are suggesting, back around that time i used to love playing with Propellerheads ReCycle which debuted in 1994 according to wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCycle

    Not automatically random, but run an audio sample through recycle to add slice markers then load it up in reason and sequence it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    You're Guido???

    Gotta give you a huge thanks for those detailed Coil album reviews as they really encouraged me to dig into the entire (well, nearly...) back catalogue several years back!
    That's me. And thanks! That was a weird couple months... But it was worth it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    8,732
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    That's me. And thanks! That was a weird couple months... But it was worth it.
    holy shit i didn't realize that was you. i know we interacted quite a bit before you rejoined(?)/changed your username on here(?) haha i always loved reading those reviews

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LIC, NY
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    holy shit i didn't realize that was you. i know we interacted quite a bit before you rejoined(?)/changed your username on here(?) haha i always loved reading those reviews
    Yeah, Guido Paparazzi was sort of a name from high school, I can't remember when exactly I switched it, but my blog or whatever is still Guido's Fuckrant Page. For better or worse.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timdotexe View Post
    Similar time frame to what you are suggesting, back around that time i used to love playing with Propellerheads ReCycle which debuted in 1994 according to wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCycle

    Not automatically random, but run an audio sample through recycle to add slice markers then load it up in reason and sequence it.
    OMG YES! That's the one!!! I can finally sleep! I will definitely be trying it out this week! You guys are all awesome!!! Best community.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockasoo View Post
    OMG YES! That's the one!!! I can finally sleep! I will definitely be trying it out this week! You guys are all awesome!!! Best community.
    Glad I could help! I’m sure there are other products around these days but that was pretty ground breaking at the time. Great fun on drum and vocal samples particularly when used with Reason. I used to run the samples through recycle then load up the Rex file in Dr Rex in reason and sequence it using midi.

Posting Permissions