Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

How do they manage to ratchet the bullshit up constantly? You'd think after awhile someone would say "are we the baddies" but no, they just keep on going.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I can't fully articulate how fucking pissed off I am that this shithead came to my state and knowingly spread the virus to a bunch of like-minded shitheads. The administration refuses to contact trace. The also-ran shithead with a pipe dream to unseat Cory Booker refuses to quarantine and is attending fundraisers of his own, potentially exposing yet another group of like-minded shitheads. The level of contempt for their own supporters, let alone everyone else, is beyond appalling.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    we should never be happy that someone is potentially deathly ill, right?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I can't fully articulate how fucking pissed off I am that this shithead came to my state and knowingly spread the virus to a bunch of like-minded shitheads. The administration refuses to contact trace. The also-ran shithead with a pipe dream to unseat Cory Booker refuses to quarantine and is attending fundraisers of his own, potentially exposing yet another group of like-minded shitheads. The level of contempt for their own supporters, let alone everyone else, is beyond appalling.
    fellow NJer here...same here...so pissed. we wonder why our numbers are going up again. wonder no more folks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    fellow NJer here...same here...so pissed. we wonder why our numbers are going up again. wonder no more folks.
    The fucked up part is the Trump visit probably hasn't been reflected in the state tally yet...it's too early. Based on timing those positives are presumably just now working their way through the testing system. According to our mayor, (generally speaking) there is a substantial lag between the time the patient is notified of the positive and when the county health department logs the tallies. It could be as little as a day or two or as much as a 5-7 days. The current increase seems to be attributed to Monmouth and Ocean counties...but you're right, Somerset county will surely be added to that list of worst offenders.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Can this guy be president please?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

From the paper:
    Findings

The patient had two positive tests for SARS-CoV-2, the first on April 18, 2020, and the second on June 5, 2020, separated by two negative tests done during follow-up in May, 2020. Genomic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 showed genetically significant differences between each variant associated with each instance of infection. The second infection was symptomatically more severe than the first.
    not cool, 2020.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This isn't hugely surprising. If someone is exposed to a low amount of the virus, their innate immunity could fight it off without producing antibodies to the virus, especially if their immune system is strong.
    This does NOT negate the ability of a vaccine to be useful. Vaccines utilize the secondary immune system, which is called adaptive immunity.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 10-13-2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: grammer

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    He isn't saying anything beyond what a post-doctoral scientist in immunological sciences knows. Sure, he's well spoken, but it's very basic molecular biology he's explaining.
    But absolutely, let's start making scientists presidents.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 10-12-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    But absolutely, let's start making scientists presidents.
    Yep.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I'd argue making this guy, or any scientist, president would be a waste of his knowledge and skillsets. I'd rather have a competent president, willing to acknowledge what he or she doesn't know, actively consulting men and women like Dr. Ho to help form a measured federal response. Consult, formulate a plan, fund and execute plan, adapt as necessary, and DON'T FUCKING UNDERMINE the people with vast knowledge. The current administration did basically none of that, except for the undermining. Plenty of undermining.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    How Trump Damaged Science - and why it could take decades to recover: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02800-9

I thought the above was a good read.

No soapbox here, just really disappointed how scientists and experts on such intricate and complex topics/diseases are being treated during this time. I mean, we got Trump basically saying Dr. Fauci is a liar and the CDC knows nothing. I am appalled. This is 2020 with so much information available and ability of experts to collaborate within their respective fields around the world, they are being shunned and discredited. I just don't get it... How are people like this so naive and leaders so incompetent/careless?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The White House has reportedly embraced a declaration by a group of scientists arguing for a “herd immunity” strategy to deal with America’s coronavirus pandemic—days after the validity of the declaration came under question due to a number of apparently fake names among its expert signatories, including “Dr. Johnny Bananas.” According to The New York Times, on a call convened Monday by the White House, two anonymous administration officials cited the petition, titled The Great Barrington Declaration, which argues that COVID-19 should be allowed to spread through the population. The declaration’s website claims the petition has been signed by more than 15,000 scientists, but, last week, Sky News found dozens of fake names on the list of medical signatories, including Dr. I.P. Freely, Dr. Person Fakename, and Dr. Johnny Bananas.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...on_Declaration

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ Oh my God

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I'd argue making this guy, or any scientist, president would be a waste of his knowledge and skillsets.
    I concur. The Executive position executes and enforces laws. So I’d argue in favor of that position requiring a J.D. instead of an M.D.

People often blame or give credit to Presidents for the economy or gas prices or the debt or the stock market, when Presidents have NOTHING to do with ANY of that. Congress controls the debt. Gas prices are affected by worldwide supply and demand. The stock market is controlled by certainty or uncertainty. The stock market CAN be somewhat controlled by the Executive in times of crisis, like RIGHT NOW Trump is making things look better, but really there is NO benefit of having a “businessman” running the highest legal position in the world, and ditto for a scientist or medical professional; it’s more of a detriment.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-14-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tennis ace Sam Querrey and family flee Russia on private jet after getting Covid-19

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Trump totally trashed Fauci, then says Americans are "sick of" the pandemic.

we're sick of your handling of it, Trump.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I guess this is the worst possible news if you're an idiot?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    How can a species go from the bronze age to the space age, then suddenly regress back to - mentally, at least - the most microscopic forms of bacteria? Actually, scratch that. We're physically the equivalent of bacteria as well at this point. Double entendre if you add corona to the equation.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    We’re getting a lockdown for five weeks here. Guess November is just for hibernating, then.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

awesome.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

He straight-up said, not taken out of context, that "the Christmas season was going to be canceled". WoN't sOmEoNe ThInK oF tHe ChIlDrEn?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

this seems like a paltry sum for my way of thinking, am I just jaded by big pharma or something?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    He straight-up said, not taken out of context, that "the Christmas season was going to be canceled". WoN't sOmEoNe ThInK oF tHe ChIlDrEn?
    You reminded me of Melania saying something about how she hates Christmas and decorating the WH anyway so maybe it will be for them.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    You reminded me of Melania saying something about how she hates Christmas and decorating the WH anyway so maybe it will be for them.
    First world problems: having to decorate your White House for Christmas.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

this seems like a paltry sum for my way of thinking, am I just jaded by big pharma or something?
    For a 14 yr old that award is just. This isn't even a "proof of concept." It's "in silco" which means it's a calculated solution entirely through computation. It has no wet lab data to support the finding. There's no data that supports the molecule is viable/ nontoxic/ capable of being mass-produced. It's a completely laudable achievement, and I'm sure big pharma will pay attention, but it isn't exactly something on the cover of Science or Nature just yet.

I mean, career-wise, she's set. She's in alignment for where ever she wants to go for college, PhD program, etc.