In NY they already announced waived mortgages for folks in financial need last week, but not shit for renters. There are no evictions for 90 days, but even if you don't pay April and May, you're still going to have to pay that shit to not get evicted when the grace period is over. I know some local politicians are trying to push through a rent freeze, but I don't think it's gone anywhere - property owners have WAY too much power for it to even be considered.

I live in a "cheap" apartment in Brooklyn, and my rent is still $1,850 so say I was unemployed - $1,200 would cover 2/3 of one month of rent. Thankfully I am still fully employed and should remain that way. In the midst of this, I even got my reappointment letter (You have to get reappointed for 7 years, and are then granted what equates to tenure on the administrative side).

But I've done field research in some of the poorest neighborhoods of NYC - where families make less than 20k/year and have almost certainly all lost their employment. Wtf is a one time payment going to do for them 2 - 3 months from now? I know something is better than nothing but fuck.