Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    lots of tension building up in our school district. we live in a very heavily, densely populated area. we are still remote. they want us to come in the middle of next month. we are saying, it won't be safe...and a waste of time for the remainder of the year. the hybrid schedule consists of students being broken up into three groups. each day is a half day. group one comes in Monday & Tuesday, Wednesday is remote for everyone, Thursday & Friday is group 2, the following Monday & Tuesday is group 3...remote day...then back to group 1 and continue that cycle.

in other words, students will receive less than 20 in person half days between the time they return and the last day of school, with almost a month of that taken up with state testing. not to mention, unsafe buildings in the district (many over 100 years old) .

finding an appoint for vaccinations has been near impossible. the district has said two weeks ago that the week of the 15th, they will vaccinate teachers. they set aside 2,000 doses for staff. yet, there's nearly 5,000 employees in the district. the numbers don't match up. and since it's the two dose shot...we wouldn't even be fully vaccinated by the time they want us to come back. yet, not one teacher has gotten the call or email about when our appointment is to get vaccinated. I've been trying to look on my own.

really, I just want to get vaccinated (been looking for the one shot but I'll take what I can get) and hope that we are remote for the remainder of the school year. start fresh in September. I for sure will have a panic attack if we go back this year, at the very least.
    At this point I'd be willing to change places with you. The infections are rising where I live (Germany), yet they still ordered students and teachers back into school without such a schedule you mentioned.

And I don't know what you read or heard about how the vaccination campaign in the EU is doing, but it's a total letdown. I only got lucky and received a first shot on saturday because my home state is the only one in this country who moved teachers up the queue since the Astra Zeneca vaccine wasn't recommended for people over the age of 65+. So I've got the shot only for our country to today stop vaccinations with that vaccine until further notice because of some complications with blood clots...

I have to say... This pandemic had my faith in our leaders eroded a lot.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @r_z That's some bullshit. FWIW, my FIL got the AZ vaccination in the UK at the age of 72, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    From what I've read the instances of blood clots in AZ recipients are consistent with occurrences in non-vaccinated patients.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ays-regulator/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    as someone with a history of a blood clot and the resulting Doctor Google results, current thinking is that it's really easy to get a blood clot from even minor injuries so I wonder how much of this was "oh hey we have better health care monitoring because of this and this is what we caught" vs. actually caused by the vaccine.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    There’s a chance I qualify for the vaccine now in Indiana after some vague change made yesterday but I have to go through my doctor who has to contact someone in the state who will then call me soooooo that sounds like about two too many steps. I don’t have a lot of hope for it happening but I figured there’s no harm in trying.
    Are you still trying to get the vaccine? If so, PM me.

I just got my first shot of Moderna; so did my Mom and my Husband.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-17-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My wife texted me and said "Yay, Washington considers me fat enough to get the vaccine now so I'm getting the shot tomorrow."

I can't respond to that with any response, right? Any sort of acknowledgement of the statement says I agree she's fat. So...yay?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I would say, "if their flawed information allows you to get a vaccine, might as well take advantage of it."

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    My wife texted me and said "Yay, Washington considers me fat enough to get the vaccine now so I'm getting the shot tomorrow."

I can't respond to that with any response, right? Any sort of acknowledgement of the statement says I agree she's fat. So...yay?
    I had the exact conversation. And when I say conversation I mean she said it and I sit there looking at her trying to figure out what to say. I went with "can I help you get an appointment?"

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Finally became eligible for vaccine in Washington yesterday. Distribution has been a mess due to being based on the honor system. It hasn't gone well. I go to a pharmacy from a small chain that has a lot of computer issues. I wasn't able to schedule or get on a waiting list via the website so I called the store direct when they opened. Turns out people aren't taking that step & I was able to get scheduled for shot #1 of Moderne this afternoon. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Update: I got a text from the state health department with a link to make an appointment. It let me choose from a bunch of places nearby and gave which vaccine each in my area had to offer. I chose Pfizer because Moderna took Trump admin money. My appointment is Tuesday. We’ll see what happens. I filled out all the pre-register stuff already so I’m hoping it’s a fast process.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Update: I got a text from the state health department with a link to make an appointment. It let me choose from a bunch of places nearby and gave which vaccine each in my area had to offer. I chose Pfizer because Moderna took Trump admin money. My appointment is Tuesday. We’ll see what happens. I filled out all the pre-register stuff already so I’m hoping it’s a fast process.
    That’s AWESOME news!!!!!

@Chuckh - YAY great news!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just received first Moderna shot yesterday. Super relieved and glad this is moving along so quickly all of a sudden!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Just received first Moderna shot yesterday. Super relieved and glad this is moving along so quickly all of a sudden!
    And you’re in MICHIGAN?! YAY!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And you’re in MICHIGAN?! YAY!!!
    Yup, Michigan is opening up eligibility to everyone 16+ on April 5. Maybe even sooner. Working in media, having asthma and being "fat" got me in a couple weeks sooner evidently

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

this is fine

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I've been up all night with flu symptoms post shot. I was pretty much expecting that though. Same thing happens with the high dosage flu vaccine every year & the shingles vaccine was nasty. Is because of the other exotic poisons I have to take. Will be worth the discomfort in the long run. Planning on an all day on the couch with NCAA tournament festival. Not a horrible way to go.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    *sigh*

with these states opening 100% with no mask....with spring break...this damn thing will never go away. it's going to continue to mutate.

even with vaccinations underway here in NJ, the numbers of daily infections are not going down, in fact, they're increasing. that's alarming.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    *sigh*

with these states opening 100% with no mask....with spring break...this damn thing will never go away. it's going to continue to mutate.

even with vaccinations underway here in NJ, the numbers of daily infections are not going down, in fact, they're increasing. that's alarming.
    It takes a month from the first shot to actually build up immunity though... a month and a week, unless we're talking about the J&J vaccine. The numbers will catch up in a staggered way.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    First shot is scheduled for next Saturday! OBESITY BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    First shot is scheduled for next Saturday! OBESITY BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEE
    *taps mic*

"if their flawed information allows you to get a vaccine, might as well take advantage of it."

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    *taps mic*

"if their flawed information allows you to get a vaccine, might as well take advantage of it."
    **takes a bow**

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My mom is getting her first shot tomorrow afternoon and I can't stop smiling ear to ear over it. She literally sat at home for an entire year by herself with no one else to interact with, no zoom calls, no face times, just her and her pets and my masked visits. But she rode the shit out and she said she is excited to do water aerobics again, and I'm sorry that shit is just so cute and exciting to me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It takes a month from the first shot to actually build up immunity though... a month and a week, unless we're talking about the J&J vaccine. The numbers will catch up in a staggered way.
    The Pfizer vaccine is 52% effective immediately after the first dose, and the Moderna vaccine is 80.2% effective immediately after the first dose.

All of this is with the caveat that you might have already HAD the virus when you received the first dose, and that you can still pass the virus to someone else after you're vaccinated, and that there are Covid variants not covered by the vaccine.

That being said, the first dose is monumental.

The numbers are likely going up in some states because the number of vaccines aren't adequate in proportion to the "opening." We have not yet reached the level of heard immunity via vaccines to allow the level of "opening" that states and cities have allowed. People are jumping the gun because they are Covid weary; it's been a year, they can't stand it, anymore. Hence, why President Biden is really ramping up the vaccine timetable, to get shots into arms as quickly and widespread as possible. People just aren't going to isolate, anymore.

I found a workaround to vaccines via a contact, and got my Mom vaccinated last Wednesday. Last night, I got a text message saying that NorthShore University Healthcare has appointments available for my Mom; sure enough, next week I could have gotten her an appointment in Evanston. So, things are really ramping up, here. So glad.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just got home from my first... Pfizer!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Got my first Pfizer shot last Friday! A mass vaccination site opened up in the mall a few weeks ago.

My finger cramped up something fierce right after I got the shot but it only lasted a couple of minutes, same arm I got the shot in. Getting cramps in my hands and feet is pretty common, but that cramp was a lot more intense then what usually happens with my fingers. My arm was pretty sore on Saturday but no worse than what a tetanus shot can cause.

Just gotta get my wife an appointment. She registered us both for the mass vaccination site but only I got an email for an appointment. We don't understand what happened there. She was on hold with them for an hour today before the call just cut off, their call volume must be insane.

Edit: My wife got in touch with the vaccination site, they pull people from the list randomly to offer appointments. Guess I just got lucky, hopefully she gets one before long.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 03-23-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    One down, one to go.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    More doom & gloom from the UK briefing today. Luckily my sister & parents have all had their first shot now, and I've heard a local chemist nearby is giving out leftovers at the end of the day so will try and get one myself this week.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    for some reason back-alley medical care is alive and well in the year 2021. wow.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    More doom & gloom from the UK briefing today. Luckily my sister & parents have all had their first shot now, and I've heard a local chemist nearby is giving out leftovers at the end of the day so will try and get one myself this week.
    for some reason back-alley medical care is alive and well in the year 2021. wow.
    This is how my mom got hers! From a reputable pharmacy! She was picking up a prescription around 4:30 and asked if they had any leftover from the day. They had one dose and she got it.