Page 88 of 122 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Texas governor looking to deflect power grid failures with some red (see what I did there?) meat for the base by calling off the mask mandate. Love the reply.

And we're still putting 30 people into the hospital each day in Austin area alone.

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...9945ec2a7841cb
    Last edited by ekrekel; 03-02-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I hope all parties involved are preserving all relevant documents.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "People and businesses don't need the state to tell them how to operate"

what an interesting statement right after the businesses that are in charge of power all failed.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    this isn't ending anytime soon with Texas doing shit like this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    "People and businesses don't need the state to tell them how to operate"

what an interesting statement right after the businesses that are in charge of power all failed.
    It took several months before some folks down here stopped giving poor $7.25/hour cashiers an earful about how their rights are being violated because they refused service. That's basically going to start all over again. By the 12th, the state will be (incorrectly) telling businesses they can't deny service to people choosing not to wear masks. When those businesses call them out for it, there will be no retraction or clarification on their rights as business owners. The state will just quietly drop any litigation against those owners and the interpretation will just be left out there for the maskless to reference every time they go to a store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    It took several months before some folks down here stopped giving poor $7.25/hour cashiers an earful about how their rights are being violated because they refused service. That's basically going to start all over again. By the 12th, the state will be (incorrectly) telling businesses they can't deny service to people choosing not to wear masks. When those businesses call them out for it, there will be no retraction or clarification on their rights as business owners. The state will just quietly drop any litigation against those owners and the interpretation will just be left out there for the maskless to reference every time they go to a store.
    As for me, the state is obliged to fine not the sellers, but those who violate the anti-epidemic safety rules established by the WHO and the CDC. There are standards that are accepted all over the world. Why did a bunch of idiots without specialized education decide that they have the right to endanger the life and health of the people around them? We need more serious measures! Enough of playing democracy! We have twice as many cases as in India, although in India the population density is several times higher!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    They want to re-open businesses 100%, fine (although I personally don't agree, but fine) - but don't end the mask mandate! Jesus christ

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    as was said, Abbott is a braindead ghoul who is simply doing this to distract away from his other failings & to get some right-winger points. Biden admin said that this move between the Texas & Miss. governors was coordinated & they expect to see more of this in the next few weeks. I too fear this will cause alot of spread before the vaccine really gets out there, and potentially alot of spread of these aggressive variants.

Here's where I wish we had a little bit more of a pugilistic prez who would more directly call out these governors, instead of having the CDC director say what needs to be said about the move.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 03-08-2021 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yesterday:

Biden criticizes Texas and Mississippi for lifting restrictions: 'Neanderthal thinking'.

”I think it's a big mistake. Look, I hope everybody's realized by now, these masks make a difference. We are on the cusp of being able to fundamentally change the nature of this disease because of the way in which we're able to get vaccines in people's arms," Biden said when asked about the decisions by GOP Govs. Greg Abbott of Texas and Tate Reeves of Mississippi to relax restrictions. “The last thing -- the last thing we need is Neanderthal thinking that in the meantime, everything's fine, take off your mask, forget it.”
    Today:

White House press secretary defends Biden’s Neanderthal remark: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...emark-on-masks
    Last edited by allegro; 03-05-2021 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I saw some Neanderthals idiots attacking him for that remark, defending the Neanderthal people. Which is wild because...what the actual fuck? Are they a big Republican voting block?

or is that a rhetorical question...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I saw some Neanderthals idiots attacking him for that remark, defending the Neanderthal people.
    Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) suggested on Fox Business that the reference to Neanderthals was actually a term of endearment because "they are resilient, they're resourceful, they tend to their own."
    ->Insert facepalm here<-

The Republicans are saying that Biden is calling all Republicans Neanderthals. Meghan McCain, already three fries short of a Happy Meal in the intellect department, was on The View:

You can laugh and say ‘Oh, it’s a joke,’ whatever, but Republicans across the country already feel like people on the left think they’re dumb rednecks, they’re just stupid deplorables in baskets, nobody cares about their trucks and their flags. That’s what Republicans think the media thinks of them. All it does is it’s going to help Republicans be more tribal and think that we’re just deplorable Neanderthals, the left has no place for us, so there’s no unity whatsoever.”
    Except Biden specifically referred to the decision by two governors to end mask mandates and to open all businesses as "Neanderthal thinking."

Biden never collectively referred to all Republicans as Neanderthals.

Meghan McCain is projecting. She's an heiress princess who has always loathed being in the basket full of these deplorables. yet she's earning her living and getting attention on TV because of them. (And they all hate her.) Her husband, whom she worships as some kind of political genius but who dropped out of college and has zero credibility or education to back up his windbag bullshit-spewing, is a right-wing dickhead, and she mostly cares about impressing HIM with her pearl-clutching rhetoric. Marsha Blackburn knows most of her constituents have never read the Constitution and often confuse the 2nd Amendment with Lynard Skynard lyrics, but she's just there for insider trading.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-05-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The flu kills as many people as it does in a society with a vaccine and no social distancing. Covid has killed more than that with social distancing and no vaccine. So to say it is 'worse' than the flu is just flat ignoring a lot of information.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    It's funny you mention this because I was thinking about this the other day, specifically the inevitable flu case study re: vaccination + masks + social distancing and how all three directly relate to infection rate / deaths.
    So the preliminary data is in...

Masks and distancing work...who could have foreseen this?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    That's really interesting, thanks

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My husband and I have been saying this all along though, because it makes sense, right? We are socially distancing, wearing masks, hand-sanitizing and hand-washing like crazy; my family is still not eating at restaurants or getting anywhere near people, still staying more than 6 feet from people and we're constantly washing ourselves off and even laundering our friggin' clothes. If we all did this during flu season every year, we'd never need flu shots.

When somebody I know or love says "I think I have a cold," I'm like "how the fuck did you get a cold????"

I didn't even BOTHER getting a flu shot this year:

1) Because they tell you that you can't get the flu shot 2 weeks before the Covid vaccine and I had NO idea when I'd get the Covid vaccine, and

2) how the fuck would I get the flu?????
    Last edited by allegro; 03-06-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    there are red-pilled, fried-brain right wingers who point to those flu stats as to why masks don't work for Covid, but do work for the flu and thereby we should end the mask mandates. Their bullshit argument is predicated on the ridiculous straw man that mask compliance is really high all over the US (it's obvious to anyone paying attention & being realistic that its not) b/c some polls say that it is, as well as ignoring that the contagiousness of influenza & Covid are not even remotely the same.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    FYI - my mom just told me about Dr. B vaccine distribution for leftover doses. You register at Hidrb.com.
    I went ahead and registered. I figure as time goes on, the idiots who refuse vaccines will come available. It seems legit. You can try.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    There’s a chance I qualify for the vaccine now in Indiana after some vague change made yesterday but I have to go through my doctor who has to contact someone in the state who will then call me soooooo that sounds like about two too many steps. I don’t have a lot of hope for it happening but I figured there’s no harm in trying.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    FYI - my mom just told me about Dr. B vaccine distribution for leftover doses. You register at Hidrb.com.
    I went ahead and registered. I figure as time goes on, the idiots who refuse vaccines will come available. It seems legit. You can try.
    I have the same exact story

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    lots of tension building up in our school district. we live in a very heavily, densely populated area. we are still remote. they want us to come in the middle of next month. we are saying, it won't be safe...and a waste of time for the remainder of the year. the hybrid schedule consists of students being broken up into three groups. each day is a half day. group one comes in Monday & Tuesday, Wednesday is remote for everyone, Thursday & Friday is group 2, the following Monday & Tuesday is group 3...remote day...then back to group 1 and continue that cycle.

in other words, students will receive less than 20 in person half days between the time they return and the last day of school, with almost a month of that taken up with state testing. not to mention, unsafe buildings in the district (many over 100 years old) .

finding an appoint for vaccinations has been near impossible. the district has said two weeks ago that the week of the 15th, they will vaccinate teachers. they set aside 2,000 doses for staff. yet, there's nearly 5,000 employees in the district. the numbers don't match up. and since it's the two dose shot...we wouldn't even be fully vaccinated by the time they want us to come back. yet, not one teacher has gotten the call or email about when our appointment is to get vaccinated. I've been trying to look on my own.

really, I just want to get vaccinated (been looking for the one shot but I'll take what I can get) and hope that we are remote for the remainder of the school year. start fresh in September. I for sure will have a panic attack if we go back this year, at the very least.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

which is to say "no access at all" is also one of those levels.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    lots of tension building up in our school district.
    Maybe this will help set your mind at ease, maybe not, but here is what the school year has looked like where I work. Students and families at the beginning of the year were given the choice to be fully remote or a hybrid in-person/remote schedule. I think about a quarter to a third of the students in the school chose to stay fully remote. For those in person, half the students attend school M/Tu, and the other half on Th/F. Wednesday is remote for everyone. A small group (including the student I work one-on-one with in the school) come four days a week.

While there have been cases of kids in the school testing positive and classes having to quarantine, there have been ZERO cases of the virus spreading in the school. I credit this to the school taking the COVID protocols very seriously. Everyone wears masks (at all times except for when eating or outside on breaks) and properly social distances (most of the time - kids will be kids). The students are also separated into smaller pods that they stay with all day, so there's little to no contact with the majority of the other kids at school. Kids get one warning about stuff like masks, and if they don't follow the direction and refuse to wear it properly, they get sent home. I have felt very safe in the school all year because of this.

Admittedly it's a bit of a different situation, being that this is a rural school. But the principal still applies that if you wear masks and social distance, you should be able to stay safe.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    OH MY GOD can this Trump fucker just please SHUT THE FUCK UP AND RETIRE TO HIS LUXURY FUCKING GOLFING RESORT ALREADY JESUS CHRIST!

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/tr...yone-remembers

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Dude... relax.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Dude... relax.
    Why? After the election took place, there was a rioting insurrection on the capitol building. His followers are clinging to what he says. The GOP is kowtowing to his brand. He already has screwed up "responding" to this pandemic as president, maybe EVERYONE should be sick of him continuing to contribute his two cents on the issue? It's up to the GOP; tell this guy to GO AWAY.

And... No. Just no. I'm well beyond the point of just "relaxing" about ANY of this shit. So completely beyond that point.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

in different/better news.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Maybe this will help set your mind at ease, maybe not, but here is what the school year has looked like where I work. Students and families at the beginning of the year were given the choice to be fully remote or a hybrid in-person/remote schedule. I think about a quarter to a third of the students in the school chose to stay fully remote. For those in person, half the students attend school M/Tu, and the other half on Th/F. Wednesday is remote for everyone. A small group (including the student I work one-on-one with in the school) come four days a week.

While there have been cases of kids in the school testing positive and classes having to quarantine, there have been ZERO cases of the virus spreading in the school. I credit this to the school taking the COVID protocols very seriously. Everyone wears masks (at all times except for when eating or outside on breaks) and properly social distances (most of the time - kids will be kids). The students are also separated into smaller pods that they stay with all day, so there's little to no contact with the majority of the other kids at school. Kids get one warning about stuff like masks, and if they don't follow the direction and refuse to wear it properly, they get sent home. I have felt very safe in the school all year because of this.

Admittedly it's a bit of a different situation, being that this is a rural school. But the principal still applies that if you wear masks and social distance, you should be able to stay safe.
    I wish it was as safe as what I'm anticipating to see if we go back

well, things moved quickly. the board contacted me and scheduled me for my first shot tomorrow morning. I admit, I'm super nervous.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    My mom got her first shot of the vaccine today. I'm so happy for her!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    A county close to where I live is allowing everyone 18+ to register for first dose, but only 60+ will receive an account number.
    Here's hoping they'll move on to the 18+ when the Drump supporters who turn down their vaccine allows for more to distribute. I'm more than happy to take their place.