Page 23 of 122 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This from my husband:

Midway Airport has gone to ATC zero, meaning tower is closed

Five air traffic controllers are in hospital, one is in intensive care. Three more have tested positive.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    wow, Kevin Durant has it. I worked for the Nets a few years ago and still know some people there. scary.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Pretty sure that NYC will transition to mandatory shelter in place by the end of the week. This morning the Mayor said they are "considering" it and a decision would be made within 48 hours... Don't think they would even say that if there isn't a 99% probability of it happening.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Pretty sure that NYC will transition to mandatory shelter in place by the end of the week. This morning the Mayor said they are "considering" it and a decision would be made within 48 hours... Don't think they would even say that if there isn't a 99% probability of it happening.
    Unless saying it is meant as a final warning shot for stupid imbeciles to stay inside. "Hey, idiots, if you can't play nicely with each other then NONE of you get any toys."

But yeah, I would be surprised if it doesn't actually get enacted soon.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    this is some bullshit. zero-hour employees...for what?

also click through to see skeletress go all in there.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    this is some bullshit. zero-hour employees...for what?

also click through to see skeletress go all in there.
    That needs to go totally viral to put Marriott in Major Shame Mode.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Marriott Titanium Platinum whatever the fuck they call it now member here. They've heard from me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Same. Our daughter has Cerebral Palsy, we will likely rely on the support of people like @richardp for the rest of our daughter's life. THANK YOU! I know this work is hard on DSP's, coordinators and day program employees, because there just aren't many options.
    Some of us at the studio are starting to reach out to other agencies locally to see if they can fill in with in home support shifts, because obviously there will be so many whose home staff will not be able to come in and care for them as they have to tend to their own families. But I'm staying at the studio until the city mandates we shut down, to continue providing care with the few individuals we have left at the moment as part of a bare bones staff. I really wish the company would have the brains to just let us close though. It feels so utterly irresponsible to still put even the handful of individuals who are not staying at home with their parents or home staff in such a dangerous environment to potentially be infected.

It's been a weird couple of days. Tryin to keep the ones who are able to understand what's going on as occupied as possible to keep their minds off of everything, and then trying to keep ones who can't understand what's going on just safe and trying to keep everyone at a distance. I'm so fucking stressed though right now. I honestly haven't been this stressed in years.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Had to drive all the way to Denver from Colorado Springs just to get some damn toilet paper.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm sorry. People are asshats.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Some of us at the studio are starting to reach out to other agencies locally to see if they can fill in with in home support shifts, because obviously there will be so many whose home staff will not be able to come in and care for them as they have to tend to their own families. But I'm staying at the studio until the city mandates we shut down, to continue providing care with the few individuals we have left at the moment as part of a bare bones staff. I really wish the company would have the brains to just let us close though. It feels so utterly irresponsible to still put even the handful of individuals who are not staying at home with their parents or home staff in such a dangerous environment to potentially be infected.

It's been a weird couple of days. Tryin to keep the ones who are able to understand what's going on as occupied as possible to keep their minds off of everything, and then trying to keep ones who can't understand what's going on just safe and trying to keep everyone at a distance. I'm so fucking stressed though right now. I honestly haven't been this stressed in years.
    Thank you for the work you do.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I commend the Wal-Mart I went to to grab toilet paper. They had a line to the stock room where people walked up to and asked the clerk for toilet paper and they would give each shopper ONE 12-pack of TP. This is how it should be done. Ration it out to people and prevent panic shoppers from selfishly hoarding all the supplies for themselves.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    You can’t make this shit up...

A church in South Korea sprayed saltwater in its members’ mouths in the belief it would protect them from coronavirus.

But since the nozzle of the spray bottle was never disinfected, it had the opposite effect.

Local health authorities in the Gyeonggi Province, south of Seoul, said 46 church-goers were infected on Monday, according to the South China Morning Post.

About 100 followers attended the prayer gatherings on March 1 and March 8.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I think the whole point of things right now is to self isolate, period. If you're out of groceries, fine, go get 'em. Otherwise, fucking stay home whether you feel sick or not. Easier said than done, I know. But I think that's what we're aiming for at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    That's exactly the mindset my wife and I have taken. We haven't left the house since our grocery run on Saturday. We were both already working from home so it's obviously way easier for us to do, and I fell incredibly lucky for that right now.
    Yeah, you guys are suuuper lucky. My work is still forcing us to go in... we work in an office, and I don't drive! I take transit. I went to work on Sunday, and on Monday I was planning on having a "talk" with my manager how I no longer feel comfortable coming into work on transit. I got into work, and the announced an hours of operation change, which affects me big time. So I had an anxiety attack and went to my manager and said I couldn't work under these conditions, especially taking the bus/train back and forth for 45 mins and now with our reduced hours, they want me to come in even earlier than normal and disrupt my sleeping habits. They have me an "unpaid stress day" on Monday to just go home. I just stocked up on a bunch of vitamins and groceries on the way home and haven't left the house since. I have Tues-Thurs off this week as regular days and a, required to report back to work on Friday with new earlier hours, but I told my manager that I wasn't comfortable doing that, and he said he was going to talk to his manager and see what options they have for me and would call me by end of day Monday with a plan and... they never did. So, I doubt they are taking my concern seriously. I'm not jeopardizing my health for this job.

Me and the manager almost got into an argument about the severity of the disease. He said "It's really not that bad. Most people only get mild symptoms" I told him now was not the time and place to argue about the severity of a disease under a global pandemic. Urgh... to make matters worse, HIS boss just came back from Vacation from Florida last Thursday, and he went straight into the office...
    he sent an e-mail out on Monday, after being there for 2 days saying "It has been brought to my attention that I offended some people by coming into the office after my return from Florida... I was not in a hot spot and don't think I should self quarantine, but out of respect, I will. *facepalm* are these people for real!?

This is how we become the next Italy... People are not taking this serious enough. The mortality rate is on the rise. Used to be 2-3% and now 4.03% and rising.
    Well, I'm not going to transit to and from the office anymore. There was talks of getting us to work from home, but I have no idea what's going on with that. It's not that I don't want to work, I just don't want to commute to and from on public transit.

A small city/community/suburb outside of Vancouver called Abbotsford has called off all large gatherings until September 1st!!
    Sept 1st!?! 6 months of this??? Gonna be a long year guys if they're anticipating this lasting this long:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...o-coronavirus/

My girlfriend has been given a laptop and the OK to start working from home. Will be interesting if I can start working from home too. We both work opposite hours and live in a tiny 1 bedroom condo.
    Her work told her 3 weeks and then everything will be back to normal. But I told her they are being too optimistic, and i'd say at least 3 months. She said I was being negative and to have a more optimistic look at it. I told her I was being realistic. Not pessimistic, but realistic lol.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Canada and USA in talks to close the boarder.
    Announcement could be made tomorrow:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...qUo_En2Fw238GU

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    You can't make this shit up...
    I'll raise you one: In my country, Greece, until very recently the fucking official Church more or less stated that the Holy Communion can't transmit the virus. The Holy Communion being that thing where all the congregation use the same spoon to receive a bit of wine with bread in.

After criticism poured in they sort of did some wishy washy statements about maybe be careful you guys but you know, still come to church. Finally the government realised that the church will not outright ban services and so did it for them. But there's no telling still what kind of effect this delay will have.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I'll raise you one: In my country, Greece, until very recently the fucking official Church more or less stated that the Holy Communion can't transmit the virus.
    This is one of the most ridiculous, "not the Onion" headlines in this year's Greek news. I almost thought they were trolling.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Same shit happening in Russia.
    Put this page to Google translate and enjoy: https://varlamov.ru/3830001.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Interestingly enough I got my job offer from the company that just hired me, which is good. The bad news is that my start date is a month from now, or 'whenever the office reopens.'
    I'm glad things moved in at least a somewhat positive direction for you.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    i'm finally getting tested today after over 2 weeks of trying to do so. the test situation in seattle is still pretty bad. i pointed out the logic of testing at risk people even if they have "only" some of the symptoms. there are a real lot of variables in my situation. could take a week for results but at least am doing something! fingers crossed for a negative result.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Welp my office is basically saying it's business as usual until the government force them to close. The router system they've suggested to start from next week has, quite rightly, been absolutely torn apart by everyone as it doesn't help stop the spread! My boss is in HR right now basically telling them everyone in his team is at risk and ALL OF US can work from home with no impact on the company...we'll see how this goes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm starting to get thoughts that we're not too far away from the opening minutes news station scene from Dawn of the Dead.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Some scary stuff i'm hearing from the UK. According to my mate he had a meeting to discuses the possible shut down and impact, and he heard that if the gov shut the UK down companies would only be expected to pay part of a workers wage, regardless of weather they can work fully from home or not. The figure mentioned in his meeting was 50%...fucking WHAT?!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Some scary stuff i'm hearing from the UK. According to my mate he had a meeting to discuses the possible shut down and impact, and he heard that if the gov shut the UK down companies would only be expected to pay part of a workers wage, regardless of weather they can work fully from home or not. The figure mentioned in his meeting was 50%...fucking WHAT?!
    Thats still better than here in America where a vast majority of companies are refusing to pay furloughed workers at all.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    That's still 100% more than most people in America are going to get

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I feel so bad for all the businesses right now. Went on a booze run with my mom this morning. There's this French cafe/bakery next door to it that we frequent, and when I walked in it was empty. Normally this place is packed. The owner/ manager looked so distraught. I bought a ton of pastries that I normally wouldn't have. As soon as I get my contract finalized I'm going to try to order to-go as much as I can afford.

In other news, the wholesale store I was at actually had disinfectant wipes. Thankfully there were two employees to remind people one per card holding family.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Thats still better than here in America where a vast majority of companies are refusing to pay furloughed workers at all.
    It's the bit where it say's even people that are can fully work from home, and are working, are only going to get half pay, that really made me angry. So companies that can operate fine with it's employee's working at home will get to only part pay their staff...that's fucking shit! People that can't work from home won't get paid at all unless the company wants to.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    That's still 100% more than most people in America are going to get
    Should have clarified, this is for people who are still working from home. People that can't work from home won't get anything, that's what's bollocks about it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    we are heading for a global depression with no escape route or buy-out. It's going to happen.