Page 98 of 122 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    We’re basically back to March 2020 down here in New South Wales right now, if not worse. It’s starting to feel like the second extinction of the dinosaurs.
    On the other end of the spectrum, everyone in FL is acting as if nothing is going on. I'm vaccinated, but what if my immune system isn't great? What if I pass this to my mom? What if her immune system isn't great?

And more to the point - if these things arise.... What the hell does one do when the hospitals are crippled by the thousands of idiots who didn't get vaccinated?

My boss expects me in the office 3-4 days/week - because my stipulation for returnning was being vaccinated. And he's some level of Christian where he isn't getting the vaccine - he isn't vocal about it, but he and two other people in my office are not getting vaccinated. Even the vaccinated worry me, as they're out at bars on the weekend.

The bitch of it is, I can do my job 100% remotely, and well! But FL is dug into the culture of "everything is back to normal" that if I were to try to go back to 100% remote, it will hurt me in the long run.

It's a double-edged sword. No one wants a shut-down, and no one wants to take bets on whether or not they'll survive because they picked the wrong week to go into ICU.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    On the other end of the spectrum, everyone in FL is acting as if nothing is going on. I'm vaccinated, but what if my immune system isn't great? What if I pass this to my mom? What if her immune system isn't great?

And more to the point - if these things arise.... What the hell does one do when the hospitals are crippled by the thousands of idiots who didn't get vaccinated?

My boss expects me in the office 3-4 days/week - because my stipulation for returnning was being vaccinated. And he's some level of Christian where he isn't getting the vaccine - he isn't vocal about it, but he and two other people in my office are not getting vaccinated. Even the vaccinated worry me, as they're out at bars on the weekend.

The bitch of it is, I can do my job 100% remotely, and well! But FL is dug into the culture of "everything is back to normal" that if I were to try to go back to 100% remote, it will hurt me in the long run.

It's a double-edged sword. No one wants a shut-down, and no one wants to take bets on whether or not they'll survive because they picked the wrong week to go into ICU.
    We had these very clever people do this a few days ago and are vowing to do it again. : picard:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57960044.amp

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    My godmother's mother just died. The funeral is tomorrow.

Her brother in law was vaccinated, and still got.covid. I wonder how many family members were exposed?

Also, the part of the family I know is a staunchly left wing.regional anomaly, like us, BUT, this is THE most Republican congressional district in the country.

So, if going unvaccinated is a political badge of honor...
    What about the other mourners?

Also, that's exactly where my mom caught it, was at a funeral.

Basically, I don't think I'm going to this funeral, is what I'm saying. I feel terrible about it, but I have a compromised immune system, from the RA. I REALLY do feel.bad, because "godmother" isn't just a title: she's family. She's far, far closer to me than any blood aunt or uncle.

But, yeah. I just can't risk catching that shit, or giving it to my sick wife.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-03-2021 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    sorry for your loss and understandable on your decision.

the politicians at this point are killing people by not having lock downs across the States. we fucking need it, just for a month. but it'll never happen.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    WAIT wait wait. Ok, I watched the ABC news. It showed a heat map that said "Level of Community Transmission," with the colors ranging from Low to High. Our county is listed as "high ," the highest possible rating on the map. The date on the map says 8/01/21.

Horrified, I decided to see how many cases there are.

The Weekly Average is Zero. as of August 1.
    there was ONE case on the 27th and ONE case on the 31. That's worth counting us among the counties with the "highest level of community transmission?"
    Just out of curiosity, I started looking at other counties in this area, and, same thing: weekly average 0. Some of them didn't have ANY cases.
    Yes, there's been a big spike in Randall/Potter (Amarillo,) but NOT in a LOT of the counties listed in red. And Amarillo is 80 miles from here. There's also been a MUCH smaller spike in Moore County. But, STILL.

I know that there is a surge going on. All I can figure is that they showed these counties as reporting "high rates of transmission" to warn people and urge them to get vaccinated and practice safety measures.

BUT, on the OTHER hand, I don't think straight-up falsifying data on ABC is the correct way to go about it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-03-2021 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post

My employer originally wanted everyone back in the office in mid-June or so. Since then they've changed their tune and I'm assuming there was a lot of pushback from people who threatened to leave. We're hiring for certain positions and it's 100% remote. lol

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    sorry for your loss @elevenism

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ha, i forgot i found this at work the other week, one of my buddies posted it on reddit and got lots of replies lol. i didn’t make this, i really did find it,

(this IS NOT my work, i must stress this again)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'm not affected by this at all but what kind of BS is this? I mean seriously?

There are MILLIONS who got mixed doses, what is the EU playing at?

Canadians with mixed COVID-19 doses unable to travel to some EU countries

EDIT: I mean i don't think people should really be traveling at all quite yet but if folks really have to for work or family emergency, if they are fully vaccinated what the flying fuck does it matter if they got mixed doses? JFC.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 08-05-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    cases in kids are rising, and they're getting sicker. as a teacher, this freaks me out. I really think we should be virtual to start out the year in our district next month, but I know it won't happen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-very-n1276035

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    BEST
    FLIGHT
    ATTENDANT
    EVAR

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    HERO. And those asswipes at Frontier suspended this paragon of virtue.

What he deserves is a raise!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    BEST
    FLIGHT
    ATTENDANT
    EVAR
    LMAO

”When he started touching MY titties!”

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Anyone who starts any type of nonsense on an airplane receives zero sympathy from me. Like, hello - we're in the motherfuckin' air! Shut up and sit your ass down.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    BEST
    FLIGHT
    ATTENDANT
    EVAR

This is a comedy video, and he has other videos like this that are just as hilarious. Man, I wish flight attendants could say these sorts of things to idiot flyers without consequence!
    Last edited by leo3375; 08-06-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    On a NIN-related note

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    This week I learned Dexter is both a fucking Phd in molecular bio AND a volunteer med pilot. And in this pic he looks like a pro bass fisherman.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    if I had Offspring money I'd also have a Ph. D and pilot's license. You know how easy it would be to do the things I love if I didn't have to worry about anything ever again?

I mean other than your accountant fucking you.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    There are honestly so many accounts spreading bullshit about vaccines and COVID on Twitter. I’ve been reporting some of them but I thought Twitter and Facebook were supposed to be coming down on this? They’re just allowed to blithely spread bullshit. If they don’t improve I honestly hope governments take away Twitters and Facebooks protections as a content provider so they’re liable for the bullshit. Fuck free speech in this case

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Counterpoint: Many seem to be laboring under a logical fallacy. The absence of a mandate does not equal a prohibition. As far as I know, anyone may still choose to wear a mask in a Florida school (or anywhere else for that matter). Given the deep division in nearly every community, choice -- and intellectual honesty -- would seem to be the best way forward.

And if parents who want their children to wear masks are concerned that their children will not do so in a purely voluntary environment, is that not more of a parenting issue than an institutional policy issue?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Counterpoint: Many seem to be laboring under a logical fallacy. The absence of a mandate does not equal a prohibition. As far as I know, anyone may still choose to wear a mask in a Florida school (or anywhere else for that matter). Given the deep division in nearly every community, choice -- and intellectual honesty -- would seem to be the best way forward.

And if parents who want their children to wear masks are concerned that their children will not do so in a purely voluntary environment, is that not more of a parenting issue than an institutional policy issue?
    My mask protects you, your mask protects me. Making it optional for you to choose to harm me is not a parenting issue, unless we're talking about your parents failing to teach you empathy.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Withholding checks is illegal - he can't think he's above everyone else (although he already does.)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    having a discussion with someone before...I said...every President in recent time would have not caused a stir with vaccines if they were in this situation. I said, even the Bushes and Reagan wouldn't have caused such division. This country is screwed because of Trump.

DeSantis (a potential 2024 candidate- and perhaps even leader, if Trump isn't running) is killing the kids in his state, and his state overall. And he doesn't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    My mask protects you, your mask protects me. Making it optional for you to choose to harm me is not a parenting issue, unless we're talking about your parents failing to teach you empathy.
    Your 'choice to do harm' scenario is absolutely, 100% contingent on my being a risk. In the absence of facts to the contrary (i.e., proof or at least some modicum of credible evidence of contagiousness), it is a specious contention at best.

Presuming harmful intent on the part of others is no way to conduct oneself in a civilized society, let alone a grade school.

Your lecture on empathy lacks a great deal of common sense.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Your 'choice to do harm' scenario is absolutely, 100% contingent on my being a risk. In the absence of facts to the contrary (i.e., proof or at least some modicum of credible evidence of contagiousness), it is a specious contention at best.
    So let's rapid test EVERY student/faculty on their way in.

Or, maybe just wear a fucking mask.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Presuming harmful intent on the part of others is no way to conduct oneself in a civilized society, let alone a grade school.

Your lecture on empathy lacks a great deal of common sense.
    No, it doesn't, you're just faking superiority to others to mask your own insecurities.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're not special.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yup. This guy is just a maggot that crawled out of Drump's ass and decided he's going to out Drump the orange cheeto himself.
    Fuck DeSantis.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If I had kids, I’d homeschool them. There’s Connections Academy and all kinds of programs.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/best-...ograms-4842632

Schools are already virus cesspools. Ain’t no way I’d send my kid to school right now, or in the near future.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-10-2021 at 10:42 PM.