Page 37 of 122 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    My Dad's none too pleased about this, he's lost work due to not being able to drive kids to school and because they've put this stipulation in he won't get the $2,000 benefit all because he gets PEANUTS for a pension.

Is that for sure? I don't even think the CRA knows all of the details of this thing yet. Once it starts rolling out a little more, it might be worth calling.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @eskimo I hope so, will definitely help him look into it further.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    hah, Trump backpeddaled on his "things will be good by Easter" . His little "15 day" plan has been pushed back to April 30, and he said he expects things to be better by "June 1st" .

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    hah, Trump backpeddaled on his "things will be good by Easter" . His little "15 day" plan has been pushed back to April 30, and he said he expects things to be better by "June 1st" .
    Trump is the perfect example of "overpromise and underdeliver" which is not the best strategy for leading a country, in my opinion. At least Pence seems sort of realistic so far.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    The scary thought of to trust Pence more than Trump?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Shortly after midnight the morning of March 26, 2016, my Dad passed away while on and off of a ventilator in Henry Ford Hospital in Wyandotte MI. I’d been traveling back-and-forth from Chicago to Detroit each weekend to visit with him. He’d been in ICU for nearly 2 months, and was then transferred to a specialized pulmonary floor. An RN was with him when he passed.

All day and night, nurses are holding the hands of dying Covid-19 patients because the patient’s own family cannot be there, they’re not allowed into the hospital.

This is heartbreaking; I pray for these families and for these nurses and doctors.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Shortly after midnight the morning of March 26, 2016, my Dad passed away while on and off of a ventilator in Henry Ford Hospital in Wyandotte MI. I’d been traveling back-and-forth from Chicago to Detroit each weekend to visit with him. He’d been in ICU for nearly 2 months, and was then transferred to a specialized pulmonary floor. An RN was with him when he passed.

All day and night, nurses are holding the hands of dying Covid-19 patients because the patient’s own family cannot be there, they’re not allowed into the hospital.

This is heartbreaking; I pray for these families and for these nurses and doctors.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Confirming what what @zero reported, C-19 spread via SINGING:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...choir-outbreak

Edit: So I wonder if the CDC is going to revise their stance on masks being necessary only around sick and coughing people?

Everyone in the country should be provided with N95 respirator, in addition to a steady supply provided to medical workers.

This isn’t enough:

https://www.massdevice.com/honeywell...ks-production/
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Curious about shipments here. Has anyone of you tried to send stuff to Europe these days? Is that still possible from the US? I've read about several companies and retailers not shipping anything to the EU as of now. Any experience? Lady at the post office was way overwhelmed with my questions and asked me to look it up online. Well, no info there...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    so sorry for your loss...stay as strong as possible...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Long, long, long distances hugs. I can't imagine how hard it is for everyone involved under circumstances like these. Sending positive vibes your way.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Curious about shipments here. Has anyone of you tried to send stuff to Europe these days? Is that still possible from the US? I've read about several companies and retailers not shipping anything to the EU as of now. Any experience? Lady at the post office was way overwhelmed with my questions and asked me to look it up online. Well, no info there...
    As far as I know, dhl and fed ex still ship internationally.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @allegro I'm so sorry. Losing a parent is bad enough, and your circumstances made it so much harder. Long distance hugs.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sorry for your loss @allegro ... many hugs for you and your mom.

This report on the CDC's early response is infuriating.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @allegro - deep condolences to you and yours.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Sorry for your loss @allegro .

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    As far as I know, dhl and fed ex still ship internationally.
    I just got my a package from the Rammstein store in Berlin a couple days ago, via Fed ex. So I would say yes. If freight carriers shut down it would be total global anarchy.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Guys, I appreciate the condolences but my Dad died four years ago.

My point was that my Dad was on a vent for two months and died at midnight alone, but at least a nurse was there (or so they TOLD us), but right now there are a shitload of people in hospitals dying without their families because their families are not allowed to visit. Ever. You can FaceTime while your relative dies.

This thought, particularly after having gone through all this with my Dad, is HORRIFYING. My brother and I had to wear gowns and masks and gloves into the room, but JESUS, at least we could visit. Hospitals are full of really sick people right now who aren’t allowed any visitors because of this plague, and this must cause anguish beyond anything imaginable. Especially to families.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    This report on the CDC's early response is infuriating.
    This is not at all surprising. Have you seen our V.A. healthcare system? It’s a disaster of bloated bureaucracy and insufficient funding.

Our public health system is even worse. It is absolutely antiquated. We were never prepared for something like this.

Edit: Additionally, the fact that we are a Republic, and that each state operates its own healthcare system and tracks its own data, further complicates matters in a time like this when attempting to track national data. Throw into that early information with lack of testing in all the states, when data about patient illness or morbidity didn’t necessarily include information about Covid-19 because there was no way to know. And they were relying on PAPER? Literally? Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    This is what I get for reading from the most recent posts then backtracking. I blame all the other well-wishers :P

Now, can we talk about the fact that Trump is actually listening to people and decided to call off the whole "open by Easter" nightmare? I was truly terrified that he was going ignore literally everyone else and go all-in on that idea. Glad to see the adults were able to get through to him.

This shit, on the other hand, is pissing me off. STAY THE FUCK AT HOME.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    churches around here have been closed for weeks. ridiculous how they're still open in some states.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    "Yes, America, our dear leader is more concerned about ratings than acknowledging the rising death toll. And instead of realizing that the viewing numbers for his briefings are indicative of the fear many citizens feel in the face of the pandemic, the president instead interpreted those numbers as a reflection of his own popularity."

hopefully this link works now?

Fuck me.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-30-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Jinsai I can’t get that link to work?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @Jinsai I can’t get that link to work?
    Don't know what happened there, but I fixed it

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    "Yes, America, our dear leader is more concerned about ratings than acknowledging the rising death toll. And instead of realizing that the viewing numbers for his briefings are indicative of the fear many citizens feel in the face of the pandemic, the president instead interpreted those numbers as a reflection of his own popularity."

hopefully this link works now?

Fuck me.
    Could someone with a twitter account remind him that 149,000,000 people watched the Patriots play the Chargers in a 13-3 snore fest, and that he can't even get a tenth of that number to tune in to hear him address the nation on a matter of life and death?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Johnson & Johnson wants to start testing their vaccine by September.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ....You can FaceTime while your relative dies......
    In 2015, my son spent 3 weeks on ventilator/ECMO machines before he was released healthy. There were a few times when we couldn't be in the room during procedures or transport, but the thought of not being able to be in the room EVER during that process really hits hard.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    James Randi posted this on his FB page, written by a real no-bullshit type person. Long read but essential reading:

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warn...c-2b0145881993

Here’s an excerpt:

One of the current problems with addressing the pandemic is the social pressures of taking action today. It’s awkward, and feels like an over-reaction. The reason it feels like an overreaction is that most people OVERWEIGHT the currently reported cases and inherently UNDERWEIGHT the mathematics of how the virus is spreading and what will happen in about 30 days time. This is because our brains tend to think linearly/logarithmically as opposed to exponentially. It’s the same reason many people don’t save for retirement or understand compound interest.
    To create a new social norm, human beings like to see behavior modeled. This serves as a signal that says, “oh, someone else is doing it so I should do it also.”
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-30-2020 at 07:36 PM.