Page 83 of 122 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "The Texas National Guard has sent a 36-member team to El Paso to assist morgues in the border region with the number of dead as a result of COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Statewide, the Texas health department on Saturday reported a one-day high of 12,597 new virus cases, nearly 20,500 dead and more than 8,200 virus hospitalizations."

Texas National Guard sent to El Paso to help morgues overwhelmed with COVID-19 dead

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    fuck everyone on the "but Thanksgiving!!!!?" train. Really? People are literally dying horribly. Eat your turkey some other time.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Thanksgiving is overrated as a holiday anyway. You can be a glutton any damn day of the year!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    We're rising pretty bad in The Hat here, and there seems to be more and more obliviousness to it. No seats in the restaurant you want to go in? Just wait outside with the other ten people huddled together in the cold.

Or just cough all over the place in stores, etc. I saw an old guy do this today in a store without covering his mouth, just hacking (deeply) everywhere...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I haven't yet gathered the courage to ask people about their chin diapers but I have seen a marked increase in the number of people wearing them. I want to carry around a little spray bottle and shoot them in the face like a cat and yell "no! bad kitty!"

It feels like a noose right now, going into the Thanksgiving weekend. Yesterday it went from having two people in my personal Kevin Bacon orbit having potentially come in contact with it to several being diagnosed with it. My boss's daughter came up positive - and this was after she left Pullman to escape that hell pit - so they're quarantining over the holiday. My great aunt's son and daughter - not sure which is the in-law in that scenario, but it's a married couple - are positive, luckily after she left to come and live with my mother-in-law. And looking at that air travel gif on twitter? Jesus.

You know those signs about how "if you have these symptoms blah blah"? It really sucks when you read it and you're like ok, should I not even bother going in? I'm experiencing at least 1/4 of those right now from allergies and whatever. I saw one that said something to the effect of "if you don't normally have these symptoms" and I was like aww, how nice.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=allegate;518461]I haven't yet gathered the courage to ask people about their chin diapers but I have seen a marked increase in the number of people wearing them. I want to carry around a little spray bottle and shoot them in the face like a cat and yell "no! bad kitty!" /QUOTE]

OMG that is so damn funny (yet serious).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I might have a cold and I hate it. Feeling the slightest bit off is the worst. Like minor sinus shit this morning to an off base head feel, to omg what if I’m a fucking bomb. I should say generally speaking I’m pretty not freaking out, but still cautious about the covid. I should add no symptoms but even feeling off has become unnerving.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    get tested. just to be sure, and also to see if you need to quarentine etc

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    what's really fun is having a persistent cough that could be allergies, could be Covid, or could be a blood clot in your lungs that you were told might come back.

I don't have a fever and I do have a follow-up appointment with my doctor on an unrelated issue in about a week so I'm going to continue with the allergies thing until then. If it persists I will mention it to him.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    walked into the grocery store for the second time without a mask on. Just completely forgot. It's become such a reflex that I guess it's really easy to forget that you aren't wearing one. So used to it.

I'm not complaining about masks, but... I am definitely tired and wish this was over.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the mask has indeed become second nature. here in NJ, if you walk in to a supermarket without one, they will kick you out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've had nightmares multiple times about ending up in a store without a mask on. 2020 is so fucking weird.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    the mask has indeed become second nature. here in NJ, if you walk in to a supermarket without one, they will kick you out.
    the Light Rail is spotty when it comes to people following the rules. PATH train is solid, but def. up & down with compliance on the Light Rail. Didn't matter as much this summer, but not cool now that its cold.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    the Light Rail is spotty when it comes to people following the rules. PATH train is solid, but def. up & down with compliance on the Light Rail. Didn't matter as much this summer, but not cool now that its cold.

doesn't surprise me about the light rail honestly.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

So, just to ask the really morbid question: how many people are going to end up being represented by four senators across the two Dakotas by the end of this?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ohio GOP tries to Impeach Governor Dewine, again. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-over-n1249548

It's almost guaranteed to fail, by most accounts.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Oh they politely let me know on the way in that I didn't have my mask and I apologized and ran back to my car, feeling like a total pariah asshole... and I'm fine with that actually.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Oh they politely let me know on the way in that I didn't have my mask and I apologized and ran back to my car, feeling like a total pariah asshole... and I'm fine with that actually.
    I miss living in LA (lived in Long Beach for a year.... 2015 ) ...people were so much nicer haha.

well, here in NJ, we've had the highest amount of new cases today....ever. I suspect this record will constantly be broken.

it's going to be a very difficult next few months.

I was optimistic things would be ok by the end of summer next year. I'm now thinking a year from now or Spring '22.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, SCOTUS just sided w/ religious people who want to have indoor congregations right now in Los Angeles... so... great.

I get the first amendment, I understand and love the protections it provides, but right now, people. are. fucking. dying. In a very real and immediate sense.

Now is not the time to get together, hold hands, sing kumba-yah, and pass around the collection plate. This isn't an idealism moment. It also has nothing to do with my personal religious convictions or lack thereof. If you need to have congregations and worship groups, adapt like everyone else and get online.

My "church" and a lot of my work has been live music, but you don't hear me bitching about how it's got to hibernate for a while. This is fucking serious.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-03-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think the SCOTUS religion decisions have caveats that the gatherings must still be in accordance with ordinances as far as masks and social distancing, so no hand-holding etc. (and Covid is nearly entirely spread via air). The opinions have been interesting, and they apply to Synagogues and Mosques, too. If you read the Opinions, it came down to commercial establishments with much higher capacity with people standing around for similar amounts of time in similar proximity being permitted but Synagogues being approved for five people. And it’s not about money because houses of worship get the least amount of money from collection plates (people primarily mail in their regular tithes, even doing regular direct deposit). It’s not nearly as controversial as the MSM is making it.

Frankly, I’ve been more shocked, regularly, at the number of people allowed into supermarkets and department stores. Our local supermarkets recently removed the direction arrows from the aisles, like everything was back to normal. People tend to spend at least 45 minutes in a supermarket; that heating and cooling system is doing what? Regenerating all that common air? In an enclosed space full of people in the winter? With nobody at the door checking the number of people?

We went to an outdoor function at the Chicago Botanic Garden last night (Christmas lights fest) which had a set limited number of people, in 32-degree weather, but had an element where there were bonfires and a “Futuristic Christmas Disco” with music and it was actually really great. We stood around drinking mulled wine and listening to kinda ambient trance music and watching kids dance and roast marshmallows for a while, all while distanced.

I wish we could figure a way to do things like that more often.

I’m paying $25 to watch the NYC Ballet’s Nutcracker streaming via Marquee TV this year.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Our local supermarkets recently removed the direction arrows from the aisles, like everything was back to normal. People tend to spend at least 45 minutes in a supermarket; that heating and cooling system is doing what? Regenerating all that common air? In an enclosed space full of people in the winter? With nobody at the door checking the number of people?
    Glad to see that's at least not the case. Then again, whenever I'm getting groceries, it's before 9am and they have been (reasonably) good about distancing, and most people tend to stay away from each other. It's clearly become taboo to crowd somebody's space, and I appreciate that.

But yes, people are becoming lax, maybe out of sheer exhaustion.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Glad to see that's at least not the case. Then again, whenever I'm getting groceries, it's before 9am and they have been (reasonably) good about distancing, and most people tend to stay away from each other. It's clearly become taboo to crowd somebody's space, and I appreciate that.

But yes, people are becoming lax, maybe out of sheer exhaustion.
    Yes, totally.

Last night, standing there with my husband AMONG OTHER PEOPLE in an environment that wasn’t SHOPPING, listening to music in a SOCIAL environment, enjoying Christmas and children laughing and roasting marshmallows ...

He and I looked at each other, like, omg, this is surreal.

This “installment” included four futuristic kinda Daft Punk silver shiny mannequins standing in a circle. At some point I noticed some kids joining hands with the Daft Punk things, and I was like wow. We’ve all been in the house too long, but this is awesome. Btw: Lightscape is totally sold out, which tells you something.

Attachment 593
    Last edited by allegro; 12-03-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @allegro the outdoor event sounds great! Surreal, but positive.
    My partner is still in the UK. In their region, there have been 6 ft markers for waiting lines that trail around the grocery stores. When the light outside is red, you have to wait for someone to exit before the next person goes in. (Brits know how to queue.)
    Additionally, there are directions on the aisles, and people actually obey them! My partner said everyone is so cautious, that they make eye contact and gesture as to who will go when. That said, they all know the NHS is running on fumes, and the gods know most of them are vitamin D insufficient.

I’m sure there are regions where ignorance prevails, but in some regions where older age groups dominate, it seems people are being reasonable. Or they’re just plain scared, as maybe all should be. It’s always the richer or younger or better off people who think this is nothing and haven’t a care for those not as well off.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rudy is stuck on a roller coaster that only goes down in freefall and never up...

From the Borat 2, Four Seasons Landscaping, sweating hair dye, and now this:
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/12...19-coronavirus

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Additionally, there are directions on the aisles, and people actually obey them!
    What fucking sorcery is this, the store I work at removed those, not that they were doing any good.
    I swear, 75% of people were going the wrong way, almost like people intentionally were doing the wrong way.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Well, the government in the UK enforces their lockdowns (for the peasants anyway), and mostly everyone obeys.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Holy shit, just watched the video of Rebeckah Jones' house being raided and guns drawn on her kids... for what? Reporting about Covid deaths in Florida? DeSantis has some serious shit to answer for here.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Republican controlled state.
    They have been trying for months to get doctored numbers. If you watch the interview on CNN.com, she said they collected her phone - which had all of the DHS contacts that were reaching out to her about actual numbers of infections/ deaths/ hospitalizations - because the FL state has been repressing the numbers on their website.

Now, all of those contacts are in danger. Likely they will be fired or worse.
    All of this, because the governor is a Drump brown-noser who refuses to take action on COVID. The hospitals are currently at 15-20% ICU bed availability (according to my last glance at her website), and that will go to 0% very quickly with Christmas + snowbird season until March.

The raid on her house just confirms that FL is now a police state. They couldn't shut her website down, they couldn't shut her up, so they went for the sources.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 12-08-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Holy shit, I didn't even know about that until now....how is that not making it to the front of the news where I am???