Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    It's the bit where it say's even people that are can fully work from home, and are working, are only going to get half pay, that really made me angry. So companies that can operate fine with it's employee's working at home will get to only part pay their staff...that's fucking shit! People that can't work from home won't get paid at all unless the company wants to.
    Getting half pay while working at home is MAJOR fucked up. Yeah, that's fucking garbage behavior if that really is happening. Luckily haven't heard of anything like that here yet. Everyone I know who has a job that lets them work from home aren't going to miss a dime.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm not getting my hopes too high, but after reading some pre-prints, there's a chance this could be temperature sensitive.
    It's way too early to tell, but if things could abate in the northern hemisphere during the summer, that could give researchers a chance to get a vaccine out before autumn.

I'm watching developments in Florida daily, as we're having some crazy wonderful warm weather. I can't tell if the numbers are real, because I have no idea how much their testing yet. Today they set up 5 drive-thru testing facilities in my area, so it'll be interesting to see how the numbers will look in time.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I'm not getting my hopes too high, but after reading some pre-prints, there's a chance this could be temperature sensitive.
    It's way too early to tell, but if things could abate in the northern hemisphere during the summer, that could give researchers a chance to get a vaccine out before autumn.

I'm watching developments in Florida daily, as we're having some crazy wonderful warm weather. I can't tell if the numbers are real, because I have no idea how much their testing yet. Today they set up 5 drive-thru testing facilities in my area, so it'll be interesting to see how the numbers will look in time.
    Not to dash your hopes but it is summer in Australia & they have a problem.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Our school district (and my job, since we follow the schools) just extended their closure from March 29th to April 1st. Weird to add just a couple of days, but scary of how much longer we'll be closed.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, silly thinking there. And Florida has been under-testing. We jumped up 45% over one day because the gov finally ordered better testing measures.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My ex works at a salon and one of her coworkers is showing symptoms of COVID-19 but they’re still making her come to work. The girl wrote about it on her FB and corporate told her manager she needs to get her under control. I’m thinking she should file a lawsuit. That is some downright careless disgusting bullshit.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Should have clarified, this is for people who are still working from home. People that can't work from home won't get anything, that's what's bollocks about it.
    How is that even legal? Wonder if workers will be able to band together and strike. "50% pay, huh? Okay, we'll clock in for the first time around noon at midweek." See how the bosses are feeling by Monday afternoon.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    My ex works at a salon and one of her coworkers is showing symptoms of COVID-19 but they’re still making her come to work. The girl wrote about it on her FB and corporate told her manager she needs to get her under control. I’m thinking she should file a lawsuit. That is some downright careless disgusting bullshit.
    What's the name of the place? Name and shame.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    State Unemployment Websites Crash as Applications Surge

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...surge-n1162731

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    looking at these fools going to the beach in Miami... it's been raining here in Los Angeles, which I think is helping the message to stay at home. As soon as we have a great beach-day, idiots are gonna be all like "hey, we're off work" and head out.

CLOSE THE FUCKING BEACHES. NOW!!!!!!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    What's the name of the place? Name and shame.
    The corporation is Regis.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Getting half pay while working at home is MAJOR fucked up. Yeah, that's fucking garbage behavior if that really is happening. Luckily haven't heard of anything like that here yet. Everyone I know who has a job that lets them work from home aren't going to miss a dime.
    This was from a friend who was in a meeting discussing it, and apparently 50% is the mooted percent IF the gov force offices to shut down...i mean if that happens alot of people will be fucked, and they sure as hell won't want to work with their full attention.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    looking at these fools going to the beach in Miami... it's been raining here in Los Angeles, which I think is helping the message to stay at home. As soon as we have a great beach-day, idiots are gonna be all like "hey, we're off work" and head out.

CLOSE THE FUCKING BEACHES. NOW!!!!!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    How is that even legal? Wonder if workers will be able to band together and strike. "50% pay, huh? Okay, we'll clock in for the first time around noon at midweek." See how the bosses are feeling by Monday afternoon.
    I honestly have no idea, this was just from a friend who was in a meeting where it was discussed (his company didn't mention what they would do in that regard, so i think it's it might be optional) but yeah people will be so demotivated to do anything from home everything will just get worse. It's a nuts situation...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    what is Trump talking about when he's saying China tried to blame the US military for the disease? If he's so offended by this smear, surely there's evidence of the accusation?!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "The China Flu"

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    what is Trump talking about when he's saying China tried to blame the US military for the disease? If he's so offended by this smear, surely there's evidence of the accusation?!
    The evidence is in his imagination...he doesn't need anything else

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

holy fuck.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so the US / Canada border is now closed for non-essential traffic?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    my God indeed.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    so the US / Canada border is now closed for non-essential traffic?
    yes or very soon if it hasn't already. people will be able to get home if on wrong side of border though.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

holy fuck.
    WTF? It's this kind of shit that has people out buying guns.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I was looking at this corona virus tracker website: https://ncov2019.live/

And one thing that popped out to me is that Germany's mortality rates are super low for how many cases they have. Almost 12,000 cases and only 28 deaths. The next one up is Spain with 14,000 cases and 624 deaths. It's just weird. I wonder what the story is with that. Seems like they must be doing something right. Do they just have way more ventilators or something?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I just received a call from our HR Director who told me that on Friday, I had direct contact with a student who has symptoms and got tested today. The results should be back in 4 - 5 days, and I am advised to self-quarantine for the next two weeks.

Thankfully, I haven't left my apartment since I got home from work on Friday so if I was exposed/am carrying it, my opportunity to spread it to others was minimal and only on the train home that night.

My partner was supposed to come this weekend (he only lives here about 1/2 the time) - that's out the window now, as he has kids at home and I don't want to run the risk of passing it on to them.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post

And one thing that popped out to me is that Germany's mortality rates are super low for how many cases they have. Almost 12,000 cases and only 28 deaths. The next one up is Spain with 14,000 cases and 624 deaths. It's just weird. I wonder what the story is with that. Seems like they must be doing something right. Do they just have way more ventilators or something?
    It could be an age demographic or maybe more related to the overall health of people in that region. I don't think diabetes/ obesity/ heart disease is as rampant there as it could be in other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I just received a call from our HR Director who told me that on Friday, I had direct contact with a student who has symptoms and got tested today. The results should be back in 4 - 5 days, and I am advised to self-quarantine for the next two weeks.

Thankfully, I haven't left my apartment since I got home from work on Friday so if I was exposed/am carrying it, my opportunity to spread it to others was minimal and only on the train home that night.

My partner was supposed to come this weekend (he only lives here about 1/2 the time) - that's out the window now, as he has kids at home and I don't want to run the risk of passing it on to them.
    That sucks, I'm sorry. If you have it, I hope it's very mild.

A friend of mine visited NY last February. He was on vacation visiting friends, and so he didn't really pay much attention to the news. When he got home (UK), he had a mild fever, tightness in his chest when he breathed deeply, with a sore throat and generally felt lousy. And yet he refuses to get tested. Ugh!!!!!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    s/o may have it. Showing symptoms and has been in contact with people who are now sick, who had been in contact with family from South Korea. Managed to get a test, but we're looking at almost a week before results. Uuuuuuugh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post

Here in Germany most patients of the first 'wave' of infection were people coming back from skiing vacations in Northern Italy and Austria (Ischgl). Of course those weren't elderly people, but mostly younger and sportive people. Now that the second 'wave' of infection is here, the virus begins to spread domestically and affects all age groups. The death toll is slowly starting to rise.

That's my theory at least...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    the test was done by doctor in full gown out on the street with me sitting in my car. unpleasant test, too. results monday or tuesday.