Page 33 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    In NY they already announced waived mortgages for folks in financial need last week, but not shit for renters. There are no evictions for 90 days, but even if you don't pay April and May, you're still going to have to pay that shit to not get evicted when the grace period is over. I know some local politicians are trying to push through a rent freeze, but I don't think it's gone anywhere - property owners have WAY too much power for it to even be considered.

I live in a "cheap" apartment in Brooklyn, and my rent is still $1,850 so say I was unemployed - $1,200 would cover 2/3 of one month of rent. Thankfully I am still fully employed and should remain that way. In the midst of this, I even got my reappointment letter (You have to get reappointed for 7 years, and are then granted what equates to tenure on the administrative side).

But I've done field research in some of the poorest neighborhoods of NYC - where families make less than 20k/year and have almost certainly all lost their employment. Wtf is a one time payment going to do for them 2 - 3 months from now? I know something is better than nothing but fuck.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    exactly. it can't even cover some people's rents, and then how are they going to pay for food? medical items? maybe they're covered under a government program but..maybe they're not .I was making very little money last year and the years before that, and I was told that I was making "too much" for government assistance. Couldn't get medicaid because I "made too much" . so had to pay out of pocket. I made around 20k a year. that's before taxes. rent was 12k a year (and that's ONLY because I took my grandmother's apartment after she passed) .

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Is this IN ADDITION to unemployment compensation? I’m taking in grocery run orders for elders so I’m fuzzy on those details, only saw part of a propaganda campaign speech by McConnell.

Edit:

Okay, Sen. Kirsten Gillebrand is on MSNBC now. Trying to reiterate as much as I can of what she said:

* This is the 1st bill, there will be more. This is a “triage bill” but expect 4th, 5th, 6th bills in the near future

* This is a massive unemployment and furloughed worker bill; most furloughed and unemployed workers will get their FULL PAYCHECKS for 4 months (in addition to the stimulus checks)

* This is a hospital rescue bill, to provide surge funding to the hospitals (not only for supplies but because they are taking in all patients without charging them)

* This bill will provide grants (not loans) to small businesses if they keep their employees on their payrolls

* This bill will Federalize the production of various needed supplies

* She says expect stimulus checks within 2 weeks

* The unemployed / furloughed workers would get the funds via their state

* This bill must go to the House, next
    Last edited by allegro; 03-27-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Is this IN ADDITION to unemployment compensation? I’m taking in grocery run orders for elders so I’m fuzzy on those details, only saw part of a propaganda campaign speech by McConnell.
    Yes, it's supposed to be. Everyone gets this, currently employed or not. I think there was an income ceiling eligibility of $99,000 but I'm not sure if that's changed in the newest proposal.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Yes, it's supposed to be. Everyone gets this, currently employed or not. I think there was an income ceiling eligibility of $99,000 but I'm not sure if that's changed in the newest proposal.
    I don’t know if retired people or people collecting Social Security get it.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-25-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I would imagine the Queen was in contact with him - I highly doubt her body will cope well with it if she is infected. And then there’s her husband who is 98(!).
    He hasn’t had any contact with QE2 since March 12th. They’ve had her and Prince Phillip on lockdown.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don’t know if retired people or people collecting Social Security get it.
    That's what I was thinking, too, but my partner's grandma is convinved otherwise and wow is she gonna be pissed when she doesn't get one lol. Also hearing now that the cap is $75,000 so my partner won't be getting one, either. And his job is actually affected right now, so that's kind of balls. Meanwhile, I'm working hard for the man, getting OT if anything, and still set to get one. How is any of this fair?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    See my above post. The $1,200 check in this bill is a "stimulus" check IN ADDITION to full paychecks being paid though unemployment for unemployed and furloughed workers for 4 months through this bill, and this bill is expected to be supplemented via another bill in the future.

Or, we'll go into a bigger depression than we saw in 1929. (That had the Dust Bowl at the same time.)
    Last edited by allegro; 03-25-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That's what I was thinking, too, but my partner's grandma is convinved otherwise and wow is she gonna be pissed when she doesn't get one lol. Also hearing now that the cap is $75,000 so my partner won't be getting one, either. And his job is actually affected right now, so that's kind of balls. Meanwhile, I'm working hard for the man, getting OT if anything, and still set to get one. How is any of this fair?
    This $1,200 is intended as a "stimulus" bill for people of lower income to stimulate the economy. It's not intended as a reward for pain and suffering.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This $1,200 is intended as a "stimulus" bill for people of lower income to stimulate the economy. It's not intended as a reward for pain and suffering.
    Yeah, it's gonna go right towards rent, utilities and debt so it's not gonna stimulate shit haha.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's gonna go right towards rent, utilities and debt so it's not gonna stimulate shit haha.
    Are you unemployed? Underemployed? Furloughed?

Stimulating the economy does seem really stupid to me when there IS no "economy" right now. It's entirely SHUT DOWN.

What are we gonna buy? The stuff we need most is sold out (TOILET PAPER GAHHHHH) and we aren't going to go buy a car or go shop at the mall or whatever.

We pretty much always have some level of "pain and suffering" unless we're Bill Gates.

I'm still waiting for my student loan payments to be put on hold.

Or to be WIPED OUT.

We're supporting 4 people right now, 1 of whom is an elderly NEIGHBOR. He'll eventually pay us back, I'm not worried about that, but everything's in flux. I'm not taking the guy to the friggin' ATM when he's 75 and can potentially die by touching the ATM buttons.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-25-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Are you unemployed? Underemployed? Furloughed?
    None of the above, as I'd already mentioned. And for those that ARE, it'll definitely be used to go towards missed rent payments.

I simply don't understand why like I said I'm going to get a check, but my partner isn't - particularly to the argument that IF we were married, to my understanding we'd BOTH get it since we fall below the threshold for dual income. And for what it's worth, I'd gladly not cash this check if it meant I wouldn't get taxed on it later on.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    From my understanding, as of a couple of days ago, so it definitely could have changed since then - is that incomes over $75k would still get it, but then come tax time next year they would have to pay it back via reduced return or or on top of what they owe if they have to pay in. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    None of the above, as I'd already mentioned. And for those that ARE, it'll definitely be used to go towards missed rent payments.

I simply don't understand why like I said I'm going to get a check, but my partner isn't - particularly to the argument that IF we were married, to my understanding we'd BOTH get it since we fall below the threshold for dual income. And for what it's worth, I'd gladly not cash this check if it meant I wouldn't get taxed on it later on.
    I guess ("most") unemployed or furloughed people are going to get their full paychecks for four months. (In addition to the stimulus checks.)

Or longer, via a second or third or fourth bill in the future (per Sen. Gillebrand).

Edit: This Forbes article includes "stimulus" as "paying bills."

Regarding the check amounts, etc.: I haven't seen the actual bill, yet, and there's a lot of speculation, and I hesitate saying much until I read the bill.

I guess there's a span between $75,000 and $99,000 where the $1,200 goes down, but you still get money. This is mostly intended for people who are making far less.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    From my understanding, as of a couple of days ago, so it definitely could have changed since then - is that incomes over $75k would still get it, but then come tax time next year they would have to pay it back via reduced return or or on top of what they owe if they have to pay in. Anyone know if this is still the case?
    That was the case in prior stimulus bills where you got money back via a tax refund vs. instant checks, but in this case I think you're just getting a check and if you make between $75k and $99k, your check gets scaled down as the income gets closer to $99k and then after that you don't get any check.

See this from CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/polit...rus/index.html
    Last edited by allegro; 03-25-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    * The unemployment and furloughed workers would get the funds via their state
    Jesus hell. As someone who's primary income isn't from the state they reside in, this hurts... every year, every time...

First world problems and whatnot, but I imagine some of those furloughed workers are interstate.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Jesus hell. As someone who's primary income isn't from the state they reside in, this hurts... every year, every time...

First world problems and whatnot, but I imagine some of those furloughed workers are interstate.
    This is only a logistics thing. The Feds are sending the money to each state, so that each state can facilitate the unemployment check process. Because the Feds don't do unemployment. If we waited for the Feds to figure out how to do unemployment, we'd all die of old age and starvation. They can barely figure out how to roll out a web site.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I live on the border of WA and OR so a LOT of workers are interstate workers. I wonder if OR will do anything for or against the people who live in WA?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I live on the border of WA and OR so a LOT of workers are interstate workers. I wonder if OR will do anything for or against the people who live in WA?
    These are Federal funds, so it's not in the State's interest to block money that isn't THEIR money. They would be, in effect, violating Federal law.

Any workers who run into these problems should immediately contact their Senators.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    These are Federal funds, so it's not in the State's interest to block money that isn't THEIR money. They would be, in effect, violating Federal law.

Any workers who run into these problems should immediately contact their Senators.
    I more meant for tax reasons: OR is a fucking seaward when it comes to getting theirs.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Reese's eggs came out in January, so it's all good. I don't know how you feel about stuff that isn't smothered in cheese curds and gravy.
    My friend, as long as we have poutine, us Québécois will be just fine.

I would recommend trying the Cadbury Egg as a cure but alas, a few years ago, some idiot decided that those delicious eggs should now be made without their magical element: the Dairy Milk chocolate.

You are so doomed.

Meanwhile, I'm not proud to share that in Québec, booze is now the new tp. We are just as crazy as everyone else.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Looks like Minnesota's about to get a shelter in place order. The Governor's gonna brief everyone in about 5 mins.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't want a stimulus check.

I would much prefer that any money we'd receive be directed to people @Sarah K mentioned, families making $20k who are worried about facing eviction. Or workers whose earning are mostly tips, and they can't claim that on unemployment, etc.

Jam Productions is doing a GoFundMe fundraiser for their workers at the Riv, the Park West and the Vic.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/vic-theat...eid=84c236e059

We're donating $100.

My anxiety keeps me up until well past 5 am each every day. I'm getting no more than 4 hours of sleep. Maybe not even that. My intuition is yelling at me that this is going to get way way worse. Like, Soylent Green levels of worse. I think I've read WAY TOO MANY science fiction novels.

Yesterday, we took an outdoor walk around the neighborhood, which included through some nice wooded areas, in the fresh air. It was surprising to see so many of our neighbors out, doing the same.

At one point, we saw a old man hobbling toward us with a cane, hunched over, one leg somewhat crippled. As he got closer, I realized he looked a lot like our next-door-neighbor, Howard, who's 80 and has spinal stenosis and had been confined to an electric wheelchair on-and-off for a while. When was right in front of us, I saw he was wearing these HUGE HEADPHONES for music, and he said "HI! HOW ARE YOU GUYS DOING??!"

It WAS Howard! He was several blocks from his house! It gave my husband and I a better sense of ... I dunno ... lessened anxiety? Even briefly? Like it was a sense of how things "used to be?" When Howard took us for a ride on his boat, when he used to listen to Prince's "Purple Rain" while working on his boat on the driveway, before he was crippled by stenosis, before he got so old, before this all happened? Here were people, OUTSIDE, but still "distant," waiving to each other, smiling, saying "hi," enjoying the fresh crisp air, trying to regain some sense of simplicity, normalcy, our "old" life?

We decided we are going to do this every day, until they lock us up in our house.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    My friend, as long as we have poutine, us Québécois will be just fine.
    Speaking of poutine, I'm gonna be sad that my local chip joint prob won't open late April for the summer season like he usually does.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I posted in my school's fb group last night that anyone who was in a dire situation, and even $20 would help them buy a few days, I'd send $20 to 5 people. About 20% of our population comes from families making less than 20k. I wish I could do it at the campus I work at, too but the rules get more dicey when it's students at the campus you work at.

And I just found out that the student I had direct contact with indeed tested positive.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that is not a typo, apparently.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Oh I'm gonna be fucking pissed if that happens. Last year, I took on some tours that paid extra due to the extreme circumstances surrounding them, and for the first (and probably only) time, it pushed my pay to juuuuuuust above that. Like, by a couple hundred bucks. (The extra went to capping off the down payment on my house and making up for over a decade of not saving for retirement.) This year, I'm basically unemployed.

So if they look at last year's taxes to see my income and base it on that, I'm getting absolutely shit on.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    This is only a logistics thing. The Feds are sending the money to each state, so that each state can facilitate the unemployment check process. Because the Feds don't do unemployment. If we waited for the Feds to figure out how to do unemployment, we'd all die of old age and starvation. They can barely figure out how to roll out a web site.
    Ah yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear.

Like @allegate I'm concerned about tax hikes. I'm sure you know how it works, but for the people that don't, simply, if you make your money from a state you don't reside in, you end up paying extra state taxes (usually in multiple states).

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    A Real Fucking Tweet.

Yes, a global pandemic is definitely about your campaign.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    So this is happening to my neighborhood because of corona virus:
    https://www.mdjonline.com/news/fda-a...arkk_gqZKeE4nQ

This horrible sterilization company has been emitting a cancer causing chemical for years without disclosing it. Residents became aware last July and local government shut them down over permits and they've been closed since. But now, supposedly the FDA wants them open to help with corona virus PPE needs. But corona virus can be killed with heat and soap so why would they open a plant that emits a known carcinogen into a metropolitan area? Obviously something shady is happening somewhere at the top. Why would the FDA pursue this method? The only air testing my community did in the days around the shut down showed high levels all around my neighborhood. Trumps EPA hasn't done anything about it since Obama's EPA reclassified the chemical (ethylene oxide) as carcinogen.

I'm stuck in my home to avoid the sickness but they're gonna pump my neighborhood full of poison. It's fucked up.