Page 77 of 122 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post

What's getting to me the most is that tension arises even within my own group of friends by now. :/
    My brother-in-law said some dickish things over the weekend like how he doesn't believe the seriousness of it, and we shouldn't have to wear a mask inside a store if we're only going to be inside that store for a small amount of time. What the hell!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    well, let's all get used to a new new normal.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Coronavirus hits Tahiti cruise ship, leaving 340 passengers confined to cabins

https://globalnews.ca/news/7247463/c...hH2eRXHuFOes94

Who in the right goddamn mind is going on a cruise right now?? Why are there even cruises still running? *sigh* We're never going back to normal, guys.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Coronavirus hits Tahiti cruise ship, leaving 340 passengers confined to cabins

https://globalnews.ca/news/7247463/c...hH2eRXHuFOes94

Who in the right goddamn mind is going on a cruise right now?? Why are there even cruises still running? *sigh* We're never going back to normal, guys.
    It starts with an S and ends with a Y.

S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y.

”Hai guyz, only 1 family member can visit another family member in hospital for 1 hour per day. Going on cruises is totally fine though, kthxbye.”

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My husband and I have Official NHL Chicago Blackhawks masks, 3 each (different designs). They are my favorite masks. They’re the most comfortable of ALL my masks.

Go figure. GO HAWKS!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My husband and I have Official NHL Chicago Blackhawks masks, 3 each (different designs). They are my favorite masks. They’re the most comfortable of ALL my masks.

Go figure. GO HAWKS!
    Bah! Are they from Kohl's? They only had Cardinals and Cubs at our local store.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Bah! Are they from Kohl's? They only had Cardinals and Cubs at our local store.
    No, they’re these.

Cover up while you represent your favorite team in this Chicago Blackhawks face covering 3-Pack from FOCO! All NHL royalties will be donated to Feeding America and Food Banks Canada.
    There’s a little pocket where you can insert a little filter, too, if you have those (I do).

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    So today in Canada, health officials are saying even once there is a vaccine, the COVID restrictions put in place today will probably remain at least for 3 years....
    fuck. You serious? Man... We can all kiss live music goodbye now. Live music is a thing of the past. This sucks...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7249803/c...s-theresa-tam/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    makes sense. the anti-vaxxers are still out there.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    So today in Canada, health officials are saying even once there is a vaccine, the COVID restrictions put in place today will probably remain at least for 3 years....
    fuck. You serious? Man... We can all kiss live music goodbye now. Live music is a thing of the past. This sucks...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7249803/c...s-theresa-tam/
    They're gonna have to figure it out. And trust me this probably sucks more for me than it does for you, and I feel crazy that there's nothing to look forward to right now when it comes to shows. I have to find some new work. On almost every level, this disease has killed all my freelance income.

There will be something, they just need to actually think about how to do it. In the music industry, technology finds a way. I'd think about it as "healthy competition" between rival developers trying to figure out how to supplant a business need in a developing chaotic economy, and that one of those "rivals" is the virus itself and the way it cripples this industry. Someone's going to figure out something cool, and others will build on the idea, whatever that is... be it drive in theater concepts or something much more innovative.

Maybe I'm optimistic in thinking a desperate attempt to save the live music industry might actually discover something really incredible in how we can present live experiences. Who knows.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-04-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    They're gonna have to figure it out. And trust me this probably sucks more for me than it does for you, and I feel crazy that there's nothing to look forward to right now when it comes to shows. I have to find some new work. On almost every level, this disease has killed all my freelance income.

There will be something, they just need to actually think about how to do it. In the music industry, technology finds a way. I'd think about it as "healthy competition" between rival developers trying to figure out how to supplant a business need in a developing chaotic economy, and that one of those "rivals" is the virus itself and the way it cripples this industry. Someone's going to figure out something cool, and others will build on the idea, whatever that is... be it drive in theater concepts or something much more innovative.

Maybe I'm optimistic in thinking a desperate attempt to save the live music industry might actually discover something really incredible in how we can present live experiences. Who knows.
    At first I laughed at the ridiculous that was this Concert space suit to safely attend shows:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6912003/m...s-coronavirus/

But, given the circumstances and the fact I am going thru heavy show withdrawal, I would honestly consider wearing this fuckin thing if it meant we got live music back again, lol.

But yeah, I feel terrible for all the artists, musicians, road crew and venues during this time.
    80% of an artists income is from touring... nobody buys music anymore. Everyone streams it. Take away touring and the music industry will be over.

Every week, a new small venue here in Canada is announced it's closing it's doors for good. Even if the artists manage to somehow survive 2-3 years of not touring, there may not be any venue's left for them to preform at if/when they are allowed to return to the stage.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 08-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

this article is a whole other level of Bull Shit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    My commute was my restorative time.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I am a latch key kid. From the time I was 8, I got myself and my little brother ready for school in the morning on my own and got us breakfast and left for school and my single mother had left for work hours before.

From the time I was 5 to 12, we came home from school and went to the babysitter’s. After I turned 13, we just came home, alone. I babysat. Mom often worked until 7 pm. We made ourselves dinner. Most of the neighborhood was like this. If we were sick, we stayed home alone. If we had emergencies, we called Mom at work. This included arguments, fighting, wrestling over stupid crap, accidents, etc. My Mom often got into trouble at work (she was a secretary) and was threatened with losing her job for spending too much time talking with us or picking us up from school, etc. I broke both arms (not at the same time, lol). My brother needed stitches a few times. One time we drank lighter fluid while the babysitter was watching soaps.

There were no after-school snacks at home, my Mom barely remembered to make us lunch. She worked 10-12 hour days. No child support. We wondered why we didn’t have a life like those kids on TV.

If I could have an at-home Mom, I’d have sold my soul.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-05-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

remember how corona was not good? it's actually really not good.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Let's just say I have A LOT of really upset and scared friends who are teachers and lunch aids... Etc... My friend is a teacher in the South Hampton School District and they're making them go back 5 days a week, no distance learning.

"If the infection rate spikes." Just so much wrong with this sentence it is mind boggling.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I am SHOCKED Cuomo took this approach.

Thankfully, my district, right across the river from NYC in NJ, announced last night we are going full remote to start the year. At first, we were going to be open with kids rotating from week to week, then they decided no kids but only staff goes to school, then they finally settled on fully remote for staff and students. I feel so relieved.

Now, the state has to approve it, and our gov. is acting like an idiot trying to force in person learning. We'll see...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I am SHOCKED Cuomo took this approach.

Thankfully, my district, right across the river from NYC in NJ, announced last night we are going full remote to start the year. At first, we were going to be open with kids rotating from week to week, then they decided no kids but only staff goes to school, then they finally settled on fully remote for staff and students. I feel so relieved.

Now, the state has to approve it, and our gov. is acting like an idiot trying to force in person learning. We'll see...
    Yea, we are all pretty shocked at the moment. I understand kids need to get back to learning, but they're acting as if they have missed 3 years of it. I don't wanna know what the backlash will look like if teachers refuse to go back.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I can say this, in my district (33,000 students, a pretty big size) , I felt the energy of a strike forming if we were to reopen. I wouldn't be surprised if some districts in NY strike.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    This is the same in Germany. I feel like everytime I read about the virus an interviewee - be it a politician or epidemologist, etc. - stresses the importance of hygiene, distancing and masks, but when it comes to reopening schools, there shall be none of those things in class. And it's frustrating to me that seemingly nobody tries to find creative ways around it... like finding a way so that not all students will start at the same time in the morning... or will have lunchbreaks at the same time where it's guaranteed that they mix... or how students don't have to be driven to school in crowded busses. I mean, our school won't even look into making sure to get bigger groups of students into bigger rooms... It's "too difficult" for whatever reason. It's so frustrating.

Oh, and as teachers we are not allowed to strike, so...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I know I'm tired when I read this and was very upset that he was trying to make them start giving HCQ out to covid patients.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Another interesting BBC documentary, "Surviving the Virus: My Brother & Me"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ovid-frontline

"One of Chris’s (doctor) colleagues admitted: “How do I feel about a second wave? I just feel scared.”"

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    two things:

I realized this weekend that reading about Covid apologists leaves me feeling like Andy.

And second I read something about the flu comparison. I wish I could find it today so I could quote it accurately (it had numbers and science) so instead consider this a cliffs notes, bad lip reading version:

The flu kills as many people as it does in a society with a vaccine and no social distancing. Covid has killed more than that with social distancing and no vaccine. So to say it is 'worse' than the flu is just flat ignoring a lot of information.

Deaths
    COVID-19: There have been approximately 731,570 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 162,938 people have died of COVID-19, as of August 10, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

In the U.S., from Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that 24,000 to 62,000 people died from the flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher than that of most strains of the flu.

*This information comes from the Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases map developed by the Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu
    Last edited by allegate; 08-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    The flu kills as many people as it does in a society with a vaccine and no social distancing. Covid has killed more than that with social distancing and no vaccine. So to say it is 'worse' than the flu is just flat ignoring a lot of information.
    It's funny you mention this because I was thinking about this the other day, specifically the inevitable flu case study re: vaccination + masks + social distancing and how all three directly relate to infection rate / deaths.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Except saying that the flu kills people isn’t technically correct; COMPLICATIONS from the flu, typically PNEUMONIA, kills people.

And Covid has WAYYYYYYYYY more fatal complications than the average flu.

Covid is also way more contagious.

And that’s why Covid is worse.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    At least 97,000 kids have tested positive since the last two weeks of July.

But sure, continue to open schools and act like nothing's wrong.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

That's it, I'm closing the damn tab and doing something else with my day. maybe work...? we'll see.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I can't find it now, but I was 100% sure it was a joke that Smash Mouth was going to play a show for thousands of people at the South Dakota biker rally.

It was not a joke.

I would buy 2020 a drink if I saw it at a bar—if I could go to a bar—because I'm honestly impressed at its ability to keep me guessing about whether I'm awake in reality.
    Here's a video report about the event:
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...nr-ldn-vpx.cnn

Here's an article about Smash Mouth playing: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ncert-1042080/

Smash Mouth singer Steve Harwell can be heard addressing the crowd, saying: “Now we’re all here together tonight. And we’re being human once again. Fuck that COVID shit.”
    Imagine risking your life to go to a Smash Mouth concert. lol.