Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah when we went to pick up our curbside dinner earlier, we were surprised at how many people were arriving to dine in.

Wtf.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My mom was socially distancing while golfing with a friend. A guy added himself to their tee time (quite normal). At the end of their round, they were talking about coronavirus. He said he'd had it: basically a low-grade fever for almost 2 weeks, and he tested negative both times. Before getting his vaccine, he got tested for antibodies and he was positive.

It sounds very much like what I had back in August. I was fatigued and had a low-grade fever for 10 days. I can get tested for the antibodies, but it's $120.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    It sounds very much like what I had back in August. I was fatigued and had a low-grade fever for 10 days. I can get tested for the antibodies, but it's $120.
    WHAT?!? It’s $38 at CVS Minute Clinic.

How long do the antibodies stick around?
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It was Quest Diagnostics. I have to go there at the end of the month for routine bloodwork.
    Might consider CVS, though I'm trying to keep quarantined well/ minimizing trips for potential exposure.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I can get tested for the antibodies, but it's $120.
    Donate blood. The Red Cross is testing all donated blood for antibodies and you can see your results if you register with them online. Super easy. I donate to the Red Cross like clockwork now....as soon as I'm eligible again/there's a blood drive in my town. I got Covid the end of last March and as of 1/11/21 I still tested positive for antibodies. YMMV of course re: antibodies, but it won't cost you a dime to find out via the Red Cross.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    While I am not happy about what his administration did re: nursing homes last year, I AM happy that smug, pompous prick Andrew Cuomo is now actually being forced to answer for his decision & the ensuing cover-up of the numbers. I understood & appreciated his contrast to Trump last spring as much as everyone else, b/c Cuomo is at least a rational adult who actually cared about Covid and what it was doing to his state. I'm glad he wasn't on TV telling us to drink bleach. But that's a pretty low bar, isn't? He and his people lied, got caught now, and in the meantime the disgusting victory lap he took the rest of the last year was nauseating. The book, the Emmy, the ridiculous poster unvailing, the circle jerk with his dumbass brother on TV for weeks on end....all while you knew you were hiding the real number of dead from us. And that's after he gutted NY Medicaid right at the beginning of Covid, further complicating the hosptial situation in NY in the middle of a pandemic. At least this further destroys his chances of ever winning a Dem presidential primary.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Donate blood. The Red Cross is testing all donated blood for antibodies and you can see your results if you register with them online. Super easy. I donate to the Red Cross like clockwork now....as soon as I'm eligible again/there's a blood drive in my town. I got Covid the end of last March and as of 1/11/21 I still tested positive for antibodies. YMMV of course re: antibodies, but it won't cost you a dime to find out via the Red Cross.
    Not a bad idea! I donated blood when I lived in the UK, and those nurses told me I couldn't donate in the US since I lived in the UK for so long. However looking at the guidelines, it looks like I might be ok. Do they call to tell you you have antibodies?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Not a bad idea! I donated blood when I lived in the UK, and those nurses told me I couldn't donate in the US since I lived in the UK for so long. However looking at the guidelines, it looks like I might be ok. Do they call to tell you you have antibodies?
    There are definitely questions you have to answer every time about potential time spent living in the UK (I believe it specifies the 1980's, but don't quote me) which could be a disqualifier.

To find out if you have antibodies after you donate, make sure youre signed up with them online and/or on their app.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, the big mad cow scare lasted up until 1997 I think. I didn't live there until 2012, so I think I'm ok. I might look into donating soon, if I can find time from work.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    There are definitely questions you have to answer every time about potential time spent living in the UK (I believe it specifies the 1980's, but don't quote me) which could be a disqualifier.

To find out if you have antibodies after you donate, make sure youre signed up with them online and/or on their app.
    my girlfriend, who was a baby while living on a military base overseas (Italy) in the 80's, is automatically disqualified from donating simply because she was living there at the time.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

fudge ice cream.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Is the rapid antibody test different than any of the other tests?

I just scheduled a rapid antibody test for tomorrow.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    @allegro For me, it was just a blood test.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    @allegro For me, it was just a blood test.
    The efficacy of results or just as good (even if the results are faster)?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I have been told it is not the most reliable test.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Saw my Primary internist today for my back pain; he told me not to get the antibody test because the info isn't of any use, other than out of "curiosity," and that there's no solid data showing that it makes us immune at all. (Probably because of so many mutations?) So I canceled the appointment and I'm waiting for the vaccine. I guess my curiosity isn't strong enough to care.

Meanwhile, now I have to consider going to physical therapy ... during Covid. He said I can do exercises at home if I want, so I dunno what I'm going to do.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-17-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    huh.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I wish I could figure out when I qualify for the vaccine. I’ve read IN’s website info and it’s not very clear.

I am a 41 year old energy employee with a history of cancer (which damaged my immune system). My doctor doesn’t even know. All she could tell me was that I should definitely get the vaccine when I am able to.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    my girlfriend, who was a baby while living on a military base overseas (Italy) in the 80's, is automatically disqualified from donating simply because she was living there at the time.
    She should've known better. Disappointed in her. So selfish.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

it's not April, right?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Dr. Fauci says mask-wearing may continue in 2022" good god no :-(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ci-masks-2022/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "Dr. Fauci says mask-wearing may continue in 2022" good god no :-(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ci-masks-2022/

not surprised. look how we handled it as a country.

the saddest thing is, looking back at pandemics through history, including ancient history, they'd last, 5, 10, 20 years at a time. with all of our advancements and "know how" , you'd think we'd have it under control by now...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    not surprised. look how we handled it as a country.

the saddest thing is, looking back at pandemics through history, including ancient history, they'd last, 5, 10, 20 years at a time. with all of our advancements and "know how" , you'd think we'd have it under control by now...
    That would require people listening to that "know how." Not very easily done when they're working with little education and being bolstered by idiots.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    That would require people listening to that "know how." Not very easily done when they're working with little education and being bolstered by idiots.
    exactly. sometimes I marvel at our advances as a human race, in other aspects, sometimes I think we've hardly moved the past millennium.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Woman dies after receiving Covid-infected lungs in transplant" Don't get any transplants anytime soon, guys....

https://fox8.com/news/michigan-woman...in-transplant/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Donated 2/18. Found out today my blood has no COVID antibodies. Doesn't mean I didn't have it though.
    Oh well. At least this got me back to donating blood. I'm glad they changed the rules, so I'm eligible (UK ban lifted for post 1997 years).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    BBC Special 3 about Coronavirus "Coronavirus Special - What We Know Now" (if you can find it somewhere like YouTube), full of interesting facts, for example I did not know about positioning patients on their stomach helps, or there are many also young people who have something like "old batteries in cells", so they feel OK but get tired very soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000slmx

In the meantime, I had fourth AG test (that nose thingy), which is not mandatory but without it you can't get into places without a fresh one, I remind myself this will pass eventually, soon...
    Last edited by Substance242; 02-28-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Biden to announce ‘historic partnership’: Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, officials say

The administration brokered the arrangement amid concerns about Johnson & Johnson’s production delays

This is a game changer.