Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94
Results 2,791 to 2,808 of 2808

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

  1. #2791
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,718
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Got my first shot today. I wonder if I'm the only one on this board getting a Russian vac (Sputnik)?
    Last edited by fillow; 06-07-2021 at 12:42 PM.

  2. #2792
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicsgo's North Shore
    Posts
    13,341
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm gonna disappoint you guys and admit that I'm still scared to get the vaccine, and so is my wife. She has hep c and is on a nasty treatment, and my RA has been flaring up, HORRIBLY, and, neither of us think we could handle the side effects right now.

    So we're still wearing masks, and social distancing, and only leaving the house when it's absolutely necessary.
    I'm reading stuff about how people with immunity issues aren't totally protected by the vaccine, anyway, so even if you GET the vaccine, you're going to have to live your life like you didn't.

    Honestly, it's highly unlikely that anything either of you have would cause you to get any serious side effects from the vaccine; you're far more likely to suffer a worse side effect from the VIRUS or your DISEASE. The side effects from the vaccine compared to the shit you guys get from your diseases? Nothing. Walk in the park. And your diseases aren't known to exacerbate the side effects. Now, if you have blood clots or something, then it'd be a different story.

    But, again, that being said, if you each get the vaccine, YOU in particular, you'd still have to live your lives really carefully, because you both have severely decreased production of antibodies.

    I read this article about a guy who got the vaccine but didn't talk with his doc, first; he died of Covid after getting the vaccine. Ends up he had leukemia. No vaccine is gonna protect you when you have virtually ZERO immune system. His doc likely would have told him that. Instead, that guy got his vaccine and then went out into the world like he had an iron vaccine shield.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-07-2021 at 02:06 PM.

  3. #2793
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    well, I got the pfizer shot and personally it was a day of feeling a little shitty. I have some health concerns, but the reality is that actually contracting Covid is a way bigger concern w/ some of that stuff.

  4. #2794
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicsgo's North Shore
    Posts
    13,341
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Exactly.

    I described it to people as this: I could have worked through the day, but if I had nothing going on at work, maybe I would have taken the day off. Mostly as a good excuse to take the day off. I did a ton of laundry all day, washed dishes, got a bunch of stuff done. Didn't even take a NAP. My husband? He stayed in bed all day, whining. But he's a much bigger baby than me. He admits this, LOL.

    Was I "sick?" I'd say it was like mild flu symptoms, but maybe like when you first start getting the flu? But I think a lot of it is psychological. I didn't even THINK about it, so it faded into the background. My husband, on the other hand, spent all day hyper-focusing on every little symptom. "Do I have a fever?" I think I had a slight fever, but then I forgot about it. I've had worse hot flashes than this shit. If my husband ever had bad period cramps or menopause, he'd have to be hospitalized with meals delivered to his bed.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-07-2021 at 12:43 PM.

  5. #2795
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Central Europe. You know, the epicenter of all evil and bla..
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Exactly.
    If my husband ever had bad period cramps or menopause, he'd have to be hospitalized with meals delivered to his bed.
    ... most men would. Once you bleed to death every month or pushed 14 inches through your hooha... what could possibly still throw you off the tracks? The human body is amazing and disgusting, all at the same time.

    Got Pfizer/BioNTech myself and did not feel anything other than fatigue...which I bet was due to the fact that it was my first day out of office in a way too long time. No rest for the wicked.
    Pfizer/BioNTech is as safe as it gets, looking at the shorter term studies and all the regulatory work that has been submitted. What happens in 15 years no one can really tell - unless you want to wait another 15 years. The technology is fairly new. But hey, the people worrying to the extreme about this are usually the same ones that down 5 liters of coke per day, live off shitty fastfood on a daily basis, are on smartphones 24/7 and even sleep on them and throw in a mixture of pills for every possible condition they might or might not have. In the end it's a decision everyone has to make for themselves and I for my part gave up reasoning with people..
    Last edited by shade; 06-07-2021 at 01:51 PM.

  6. #2796
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicsgo's North Shore
    Posts
    13,341
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    looking at the shorter term studies and all the regulatory work that has been submitted. What happens in 15 years no one can really tell - unless you want to wait another 15 years. The technology is fairly new.
    Hasn't mRNA been studied for, like, 30 years or something?

    But, yeah, that's exactly what I thought; I'm being bombarded by all kinds of shit on an hourly basis around me that's fucking me up - pollutants in the air, water, delivery of the food I eat, chemicals in my MAKEUP that isn't even regulated in this country but is banned in other countries, etc. etc. etc. but people are worried about this mRNA.

    These idiots swigging Mountain Dew by the gallon and worrying about their DNA being damaged by a vaccine are likely the same people who thought we got cancer from the microwave oven.

    Meanwhile, Naomi Wolf was finally banned from Twitter. Who's she? She was a sorta feminist who wrote some pretty famous books like "Backlash" and "The Beauty Myth" but went on to become an anti-vaxer who was telling people on Twitter that people who got the mRNA Covid vaccine put out some kind of energy that could make you sterile, or could make you miss periods, or suddenly have periods after you'd stopped having them, JUST BY STANDING NEXT TO PEOPLE WHO WERE VACCINATED.

    She and her followers were also HEAVILY pushing ivermectin.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-07-2021 at 02:53 PM.

  7. #2797
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    991
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Hasn't mRNA been studied for, like, 30 years or something?
    The thing about mRNA is how gloriously unstable it is, so it's perfect for transient induction of weird proteins, such as the COVID spike protein. When the vaccines came into production, I was seriously impressed with the concept. Several former colleagues in the UK signed up for the trials, because we've work(ed) with similar systems.

    But yah, it really is sad the pushback on this, but I expect nothing less from a society that has systematically dumbed down its population for decades because they're easier to control that way.

  8. #2798
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Central Europe. You know, the epicenter of all evil and bla..
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Hasn't mRNA been studied for, like, 30 years or something?

    But, yeah, that's exactly what I thought; I'm being bombarded by all kinds of shit on an hourly basis around me that's fucking me up - pollutants in the air, water, delivery of the food I eat, chemicals in my MAKEUP that isn't even regulated in this country but is banned in other countries, etc. etc. etc. but people are worried about this mRNA.

    These idiots swigging Mountain Dew by the gallon and worrying about their DNA being damaged by a vaccine are likely the same people who thought we got cancer from the microwave oven.
    Mountain Dew, I remember the first time I saw that shit..yeah, if it radiates poisonous green, it's probably not the best choice. The green Froot Loops also disappeared here. Officially because of rebranding and formula, inofficially because of regulations and chemical bans/restrictions. Man, I used to love the green ones as a kid. Can I blame my insanity on green Froot Loops now?

    Anyways, 30 years is pretty accurate. It was in the early 90's when they first started injecting RNA vectors into rodents. But here's the catch, rodents. Preclinical studies. Pricey, cumbersome, often not reproducible in humans. The industry was, for a long time, not really interested in putting in the money, since RNA is highly instable, immunogenicity was hard to control and the ineffcient delivery methods made it a pain in the ass. Just because you could get it into a system did not mean it actually did its job where you wanted it to. The progress really came with different "delivery" methods for the mRNA, nano particles, viral vectors, and more gene editing to stabilize the material.
    ..So this was before we had nanoparticles, viral vectors and gene editing to stabilize RNA lifetime by adding molecules and tweaking around the sequences.

    Before Covid hit, we were still in clinical trials with this entire mRNA vaccine approach. Interestingly not for any "common" disease but for targeted, personalized cancer therapy. A custom vaccine for "your very own" cancer. Simply spoken, they can analyze your tumour cells and target them with a specific custom made vaccine - or reprogram cells of your immune system (CAR T cells) to go track down the cancer cells that they could not detect before. Highly individualized, and high in profit - now it got the industry's attention.
    For the DNA based approach (like J&J and AstraZeneca), there have been a couple other things going on before Covid. They tried for an Ebola vaccine and got approval in several countries. But hey, we are talking Ebola.
    Last edited by shade; 06-07-2021 at 03:08 PM.

  9. #2799
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,956
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    ... most men would. Once you bleed to death every month or pushed 14 inches through your hooha... what could possibly still throw you off the tracks? The human body is amazing and disgusting, all at the same time.
    I absolutely agree and say this all the time, especially when it comes to kidney stones. I’ve suffered through them twice now (the first one being the most absolutely unbearable; like, on the floor in agony at 1am unbearable), and watched this video the other day just out of random curiosity. Seeing the organ exposed and so naked like that makes you realise how delicate it all is.


  10. #2800
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Whenever someone you're close to hesitates to get vaccinated, just tell 'em this:

    Either you get the vaccine or you'll get covid. It's as simple as that. Since places will be opening up and lessen restrictions moving forward, there's no other option, really.

    First thing I'll do when they allow kids to be vaccinated with Pfizer is getting my daughter a shot. I won't even think twice about it.

  11. #2801
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Central Europe. You know, the epicenter of all evil and bla..
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Whenever someone you're close to hesitates to get vaccinated, just tell 'em this:

    Either you get the vaccine or you'll get covid. It's as simple as that. Since places will be opening up and lessen restrictions moving forward, there's no other option, really.

    First thing I'll do when they allow kids to be vaccinated with Pfizer is getting my daughter a shot. I won't even think twice about it.
    Yup, because you can't reason with people. Plus, I'm tired of it.
    Got to make your own decision on what's worse, a covid infection or possible vaccine side effects. Forcing people into it can't be the way.
    I just feel sorry for people that are worried about family. Got a colleague with a nutter conspiracy theorist for a brother (with all sorts of chronic diseases) and is therefore of course worried about him catching Covid, but oh hey, what can you do other than tell them once, twice, maybe three times?

  12. #2802
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    2,938
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Whenever someone you're close to hesitates to get vaccinated, just tell 'em this:

    Either you get the vaccine or you'll get covid. It's as simple as that. Since places will be opening up and lessen restrictions moving forward, there's no other option, really.
    Yeah but if you say that to literally anyone in the Midwest, you'll get laughter and some long winded conspiracy theory about how COVID isn't even real instead of any kind of self realization. People here are literally playing chicken with this shit because they think its funny to "own the libs" or some stupid shit like that.

  13. #2803
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Central Europe. You know, the epicenter of all evil and bla..
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Let nature do its job then.
    Sometimes I'm an asshole and don't like principles of solidarity.

  14. #2804
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Yup, because you can't reason with people. Plus, I'm tired of it.
    Got to make your own decision on what's worse, a covid infection or possible vaccine side effects.
    I remember a couple months back, when the vaccine finally opened up to the full public here, the local news was covering covid. It is a pretty standard local broadcast and so there's really never any hint of political bias one way or the other compared to national news. The first segment I caught was this local guy complaining that he had had a headache for a week after getting his first dose and he is now hesitant to get the second dose. I'm thinking to myself, well that sucks no one wants a headache. The very next story was covering the surge that began a while back in India. There was footage of people in the streets (because hospitals were full) breathing heavy and gasping for air. Many of these people in the footage seemed to be very young and otherwise healthy, normal adults. And there they were looking like they were suffocating to death. And I'm thinking, I'll take the fucking headache.

    It really is a dice roll at how covid affects you. You could be 80 and obese and not have symptoms or you could be 35 and in perfect health and it wrecks your lungs for life.

    I think its reasonable to be concerned about how the vaccine will affect you. But with the millions that have received it already and its high effective rate, it's just such a low risk high reward proposition to me that I just don't see why everyone isn't jumping at the chance. And for what it's worth I just got my second dose a week ago. The second one was more intense than the first for sure but it was so short lived that I'd actually rather experience that again than I would the few days of shoulder pain I got from my first dose.

    Obviously if people have medical conditions that's a different story, but at least ask a doctor about it, don't just assume you can't handle it. And for healthy people deciding they don't want it? I don't know what can be done about it. You can't force it, that would be wrong. But it's also wrong for those people to be so selfish by not taking into account people who actually can't handle it for legit medical reasons. As long as those two groups exist, one will always potentially infect the other. And who knows how long immunity from these vaccines even lasts? Or about variants.

  15. #2805
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm going to be in the position of getting to choose what vaccine I get for my second dose.

    I got AstraZenica for my first, and the province is going to allow me to choose between a second dose of AZ or either of the mRNA vaccines.

    There's not a ton of data on the efficacy of mixing and matching, but what is out there seems to imply that it's at least on par, if not better than sticking with the same, but there's not enough data to say for sure yet.

    It's going to be a bit of time, they're also making me wait until 12 weeks after my first dose, which isn't until July 13th, so hopefully some more data will come out before then that makes the decision a little bit more clear as to what I should get for my 2nd dose.

  16. #2806
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    991
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post

    It's going to be a bit of time, they're also making me wait until 12 weeks after my first dose, which isn't until July 13th, so hopefully some more data will come out before then that makes the decision a little bit more clear as to what I should get for my 2nd dose.
    Don't know how Canada is doing compared to the UK, but my partner's 2nd dose was originally scheduled for mid-July (12 weeks), and he's getting his 2nd 6/15.
    While not well studied, if I were in your shoes, I'd have no hesitation getting a mixed vaccine. They all deliver the same protein for the immune system to respond to, the delivery system is slightly different.

    In fact, when we have to have boosters, I'll take whatever comes available. The statistics in the US tells me that the vaccine IS working. Infection rates are still high in the unvaccinated group, but this is hidden in the overall infection rates, because those who are vaccinated are bringing the average down.
    I hope Canada speeds up their rollout process for you.

  17. #2807
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    5,206
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    In first federal ruling on vaccine mandates, judge sides with Houston hospital, dismissing claims from staff resisters

    It's such a grand little ruling too because he takes their claims so literally in his responses.

    The lawsuit claimed that federal law prohibits employees from being required to get vaccinated without full U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval of the vaccines. Currently, the FDA has authorized the Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines under a special provision for emergencies.

    The judge dismissed this argument as well, saying that law does not apply to private employers. He also dismissed an argument that anyone who gets the vaccine is effectively a human subject in an experimental trial.

    "The hospital's employees are not participants in a human trial," he wrote. "They are licensed doctors, nurses, medical technician, and staff members. The hospital has not applied to test the COVID-19 vaccines on its employees."


    The lawsuit originally was filed in Texas state court but was moved to federal court at Houston Methodist's request. The federal judge ruled Saturday that Texas state law only protects workers from being fired if they are forced to commit a crime.

  18. #2808
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    869
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Don't know how Canada is doing compared to the UK, but my partner's 2nd dose was originally scheduled for mid-July (12 weeks), and he's getting his 2nd 6/15.
    While not well studied, if I were in your shoes, I'd have no hesitation getting a mixed vaccine. They all deliver the same protein for the immune system to respond to, the delivery system is slightly different.

    In fact, when we have to have boosters, I'll take whatever comes available. The statistics in the US tells me that the vaccine IS working. Infection rates are still high in the unvaccinated group, but this is hidden in the overall infection rates, because those who are vaccinated are bringing the average down.
    I hope Canada speeds up their rollout process for you.
    Well, you were right. They made the announcement yesterday that they were moving them up to 8 weeks, and so I just got booked for Wednesday.

    I'll be getting Moderna for my 2nd dose. Here's hoping that the early data suggesting that mixing gives a better immune response plays out!

Posting Permissions