Page 14 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    No doubt, perfectly said.

Back to the orange shitstain...was it just me, or did he sound scared and/or kinda....sick?
    He sounded very sing-song-y to me. Like a grade schooler reading a speech.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Wow Trump announcing a travel ban from the EU to the U.S. for 30 days starting Friday night.

Oh, also.... Tom Hanks and his wife have it. Breaking now...

John Travolta was hospitalized with symptoms last weekend, but they released him Sunday. Doctors figured out it was just a case of Saturday Night Fever.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnd the NBA has officially suspended the rest of the entire season. Holy fuck.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yep. He's forever gonna be remembered for that now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    League source says NHLPA announcement is tonight, but league announcement is tomorrow to suspend the rest of the hockey season as well.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    First they came for the circuses, up next is the bread.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that seems different than what he said somehow.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

that seems different than what he said somehow.
    Yeah, ICU and intubation is really expensive.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Seattle Public Schools close for 2 weeks.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...irus-concerns/

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    This is really going full scale. I've been writing cancellations all night for the concerts presented by us with labels like Sargent House pulling the plug and getting their artists to fly home. Understandably, but wow, this leaves a huge dent in many calendars for the next weeks and months. Looks like this weekend will mark my last time working at gigs for a while now.

Personally I'm especially said as this will mean Roadburn Festival is cancelled and I'm very sure a good friend of mine can forget about his wedding in Italy in June. Damnit! But better safe than sorry, I guess.

And of course hayfever is starting out just in time...
    Last edited by dlb; 03-12-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My GF has been sent home from work for 2 days while they await the testing results of a family that one of her co-workers met with a couple days ago.

The family had been at the mining conference in Toronto where someone was confirmed to have it, then they met with her co-worker shortly afterwards. My GF and the co-worker were sitting together in a meeting when her co-worker got a text from the family saying that they're symptomatic and were at the conference. The family had the test administered yesterday, but they're awaiting test results.

Her employer sent everyone in the meeting home for 2 days while they await the test results.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Public Information Officer, Washington Emergency Management Division
    Emergency Alert

Starting today, our state will prohibit events of more than 250 people in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties to slow the spread of #COVID19. This order applies to gatherings for social, spiritual and recreational activities. These include but are not limited to: community, civic, public, faith-based, or sporting events; parades; concerts; festivals; conventions; fundraisers and similar activities. The steps to limit the impact of COVID-19 on workers and businesses in WA are outlined on this website. The decision to prohibit large-scale events was not taken lightly – and involved discussions with local elected, business and civic leaders. This is a prudent strategy to slow the spread of the virus, reduce the number of those infected, and help prevent serious illness. We continue asking people to help - we are all part of the solution. Wash your hands. Cover your coughs. And stay home when you’re sick. We are strong and resilient – and Washington state will get through this.

https://www.governor.wa.gov/issues/i...d-19-resources
    the church thing is going to be difficult to enforce because there are a lot of people who are going to find Jesus in the coming days and want to be there.

also I noticed yesterday that the toilet rolls in the bathrooms at work were missing. not run out, someone took the whole roll. wild.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was talking to my wife about this and she's suddenly very blasé about the whole thing, doesn't understand why the NBA and states and everything else are shutting down. "Oh the library is only closing things through March, this should be done by then."

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Yall need to keep us IT folks in your thoughts and prayers right now. My company with 3000+ employees worldwide is letting everyone get set up for remote access so they can work from home if need be. I work for a big player in the stock market trading industry so we have a load of boomers that that can barely understand the difference between a space bar and a back space.

Someone hold me.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 03-12-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Stuff is getting worse by the hour when it comes to events and gatherings. My mails are exploding right now and I get all kinds of messages. Pretty sure I can just call it quits for the rest of the month and early April at least.

Seems like every US band is leaving Europe right now. Devastating for the musicians, fans and of course bookers and agencies alike. Merch and small equipment is basically being left here... and of course I'm pissed at all the work done already that is useless for now.

Either way, some colleagues and I will still hit the beergarden as weather predictions look good and we just need something fun to do.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Yall need to keep us IT folks in your thoughts and prayers right now. My company with 3000+ employees worldwide is letting everyone get set up for remote access so they can work from home if need be. I work for a big player in the stock market trading industry so we have a load of boomers that that can barely understand the difference between a space bar and a back space.

Someone hold me.
    lol, too true. they just announced they were going to be doing stress-testing on the remote login stuff because of the number of employees who will be expected to start teleworking. they had to send out two further messages announcing it and to tell people to stop putting in tickets about how slow the network was running while connected.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Someone hold me.
    Well with any luck they'll just keep freezing trading, so you won't have anyone with things to do anyway.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Someone hold me.
    I live one hour away from Milan and my dad works near the border with Italy. Most of his colleagues are Italians, so as you can imagine the situation here is getting worse by the day. Sadly the Swiss government has decided to prioritise the economy and not the health of its citizens (looks familiar? Hi Trump administration), and it's currently failing to address the crisis with the same strong measures that Italy adopted last week.

My dad is exactly the kind of boomer you just described. Yesterday I helped him setting up his remote access so he could work from home. He was beyond amazed that he could see the screen from his workplace's PC directly from home, and he never thought it was possible. But what's terrifying is that he still had planned to go to work everyday, because he was afraid of the idea of working remotely simply because... he had never done it before and his IT skills are shit. I made it clear that the only way to curb the infection rate is to break the infection's chain and reduce the number of interactions you might have with colleagues and other people. He understood and decided to stay home.

Now it's been two days now that my parents are home. All. The. Time. Please send help, I think I'm going crazy.
    It sucks to be unemployed, it's possibly the worst possible time to be looking for a job.

tl;dr: if you're a tech-savvy person, please help your friends and colleagues that aren't as tech-savvy as you, and encourage them to stay home and work from there. This will be crucial in the next few days/weeks as things will get much worse.
    Last edited by arsenic; 03-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, about that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    My dad is exactly the kind of boomer you just described. Yesterday I helped him setting up his remote access so he could work from home. He was beyond amazed that he could see the screen from his workplace's PC directly from home, and he never thought it was possible.
    Which is crazy to me because I and all the Boomers I know have been using products like GoToMyPC and LogMeIn for over 15 years. I telecommunicated for six years from home using GoToMyPC, until 2017.

I am more worried about the people who get zero sick pay who have to work to feed their families and aren’t on computers. Like retail and service workers etc. If they stay home, they might not be able to pay rent or buy groceries. They aren’t going to stay home, and I really can’t blame them.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-12-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    NHL has now postponed their season.

Everything up in the air. Everything. For at least six months.

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn (Detroit) just closed all of its facilities to the public indefinitely.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-12-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Deleted this.

They're now saying Bolsonaro won't get results until tomorrow.
    Last edited by cdm; 03-12-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    wanna really scare the shit out of yourself?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Here's the whole episode.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    We had a picturebook version of that in our elementary school library that I was absolutely obsessed with. This tweet just made me laugh hysterically.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Broadway theaters in NYC are suspending performances now through April 12th. Wowwwwww.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    MLB has finally suspended spring training and delayed the season. 'Bout damn time.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    wanna really scare the shit out of yourself?

Yeah, posted a few pages ago, most informative vid I’ve seen.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    MLB delaying season two weeks, will "re-evaluate" shortly....so yeah, soon to be suspended as well.