Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 2373

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    How Jared Kushner fucked things up re Coronavirus REALLY badly and lots of people are dead:

Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    why are the UK and the US so terrible as opposed to Germany?
    In the US it's two-fold IMO:

1. Lack of coordinated federal response, both epidemiological and economic. The administration's interests seem to fall in this order: 1. reelection, 2a. grifting, 2b. owning the blue states, end of list. Back in January they could have told him "control the virus, get reelected". Maybe they did and he just didn't listen. But a containment success was fool-proof path to electoral college reelection. Instead they didn't try...and here we are. Congress is too caught up on federal spending and the idea that people are collecting money while not working which is so fucking galaxy brained I'll stroke out if I think about it too much.

2. Individualism, opposed to collectivism. "Me, not Us". "Masks are tyranny." It's just grotesque how selfish some people are.

There certainly are other factors but those are the two biggest in my view.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Gov. Pritzker's briefing yesterday. He threatened to revert to Phase 3 (more or less) if Illinois didn't shape up in 3 days. What is the point? The actions were already taken 2 weeks ago; there is nothing that can be done in the next 3 days that will show up in 3 days. Fucking pointless. And, we'll have to close down here because everyone will flock from Peoria to what's open.

Just revert if you're going to revert. Don't threaten action during a timeline where it's impossible to affect the change you're wanting to see.

Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    Fucking Wisconsin. We just put the dingy in the water, paid for the slip, just wanted to go for a little ride on the water once in a while to get rid of all this stress. Now I can’t go up there because it’s a Covid cesspool and they aren’t controlling it and one of the questions I’m asked when I take my Lewy Body patient everywhere for healthcare appointments is, “have you left the state?” Now I can’t. What a fucking waste of money. I hate all these irresponsible people.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    lol...

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavi...ears-c-1211545

Money laundering is not a good idea, as a South Korean found out when he or she put banknotes in a washing machine to remove possible traces of the coronavirus.
    Officials say the loss was considerable.
    The person living in Ansan city, near Seoul, placed an unspecified amount of 50,000-won ($42) bills in a washing machine earlier this year. Some of the money was seriously damaged, and the person reached out to the Bank of Korea to find whether it could be exchanged for new bills.

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post

why are the UK and the US so terrible as opposed to Germany?

Thousands protest in Berlin against coronavirus restrictions

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...dsfRyYdJbSl-aA

Last edited by ManBurning; 08-03-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

Thousands protest in Berlin against coronavirus restrictions

Cool. So the whole planet's going to backslide. Cool, cool, cool. I was just thinking that another Dark Ages would be fun. Each billionaire can be a king and they can graciously donate some of their money to our gofundme Health Care Accounts in exchange for the right to fight us against each other over what land remains after all the coastal flooding and wildfires.

Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Dr Birx gave a factual update on what's going on, and now Trump is accusing her of bowing to pressure from Nancy Pelosi to "hit back" at the Trump campaign, despite the "great job" they're doing with the "China Virus."

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Dr Birx gave a factual update on what's going on, and now Trump is accusing her of bowing to pressure from Nancy Pelosi to "hit back" at the Trump campaign, despite the "great job" they're doing with the "China Virus."
    This is the best fucking timeline.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah people have grown impatient here, too so eventhough we Germans held up quite good now it's populism, conspiracy theories and the right winged who are slowly taking over the news. It makes me want to throw up.

What's getting to me the most is that tension arises even within my own group of friends by now. :/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Can he just get covid already?!?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post

What's getting to me the most is that tension arises even within my own group of friends by now. :/
    My brother-in-law said some dickish things over the weekend like how he doesn't believe the seriousness of it, and we shouldn't have to wear a mask inside a store if we're only going to be inside that store for a small amount of time. What the hell!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    well, let's all get used to a new new normal.

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Coronavirus hits Tahiti cruise ship, leaving 340 passengers confined to cabins

https://globalnews.ca/news/7247463/c...hH2eRXHuFOes94

Who in the right goddamn mind is going on a cruise right now?? Why are there even cruises still running? *sigh* We're never going back to normal, guys.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Coronavirus hits Tahiti cruise ship, leaving 340 passengers confined to cabins

https://globalnews.ca/news/7247463/c...hH2eRXHuFOes94

Who in the right goddamn mind is going on a cruise right now?? Why are there even cruises still running? *sigh* We're never going back to normal, guys.
    It starts with an S and ends with a Y.

S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y.

”Hai guyz, only 1 family member can visit another family member in hospital for 1 hour per day. Going on cruises is totally fine though, kthxbye.”

Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    My husband and I have Official NHL Chicago Blackhawks masks, 3 each (different designs). They are my favorite masks. They’re the most comfortable of ALL my masks.

Go figure. GO HAWKS!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My husband and I have Official NHL Chicago Blackhawks masks, 3 each (different designs). They are my favorite masks. They’re the most comfortable of ALL my masks.

Go figure. GO HAWKS!
    Bah! Are they from Kohl's? They only had Cardinals and Cubs at our local store.

Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Bah! Are they from Kohl's? They only had Cardinals and Cubs at our local store.
    No, they’re these.

Cover up while you represent your favorite team in this Chicago Blackhawks face covering 3-Pack from FOCO! All NHL royalties will be donated to Feeding America and Food Banks Canada.
    There’s a little pocket where you can insert a little filter, too, if you have those (I do).

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    So today in Canada, health officials are saying even once there is a vaccine, the COVID restrictions put in place today will probably remain at least for 3 years....
    fuck. You serious? Man... We can all kiss live music goodbye now. Live music is a thing of the past. This sucks...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7249803/c...s-theresa-tam/

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    makes sense. the anti-vaxxers are still out there.

Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    So today in Canada, health officials are saying even once there is a vaccine, the COVID restrictions put in place today will probably remain at least for 3 years....
    fuck. You serious? Man... We can all kiss live music goodbye now. Live music is a thing of the past. This sucks...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7249803/c...s-theresa-tam/
    They're gonna have to figure it out. And trust me this probably sucks more for me than it does for you, and I feel crazy that there's nothing to look forward to right now when it comes to shows. I have to find some new work. On almost every level, this disease has killed all my freelance income.

There will be something, they just need to actually think about how to do it. In the music industry, technology finds a way. I'd think about it as "healthy competition" between rival developers trying to figure out how to supplant a business need in a developing chaotic economy, and that one of those "rivals" is the virus itself and the way it cripples this industry. Someone's going to figure out something cool, and others will build on the idea, whatever that is... be it drive in theater concepts or something much more innovative.

Maybe I'm optimistic in thinking a desperate attempt to save the live music industry might actually discover something really incredible in how we can present live experiences. Who knows.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-04-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    They're gonna have to figure it out. And trust me this probably sucks more for me than it does for you, and I feel crazy that there's nothing to look forward to right now when it comes to shows. I have to find some new work. On almost every level, this disease has killed all my freelance income.

There will be something, they just need to actually think about how to do it. In the music industry, technology finds a way. I'd think about it as "healthy competition" between rival developers trying to figure out how to supplant a business need in a developing chaotic economy, and that one of those "rivals" is the virus itself and the way it cripples this industry. Someone's going to figure out something cool, and others will build on the idea, whatever that is... be it drive in theater concepts or something much more innovative.

Maybe I'm optimistic in thinking a desperate attempt to save the live music industry might actually discover something really incredible in how we can present live experiences. Who knows.
    At first I laughed at the ridiculous that was this Concert space suit to safely attend shows:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6912003/m...s-coronavirus/

But, given the circumstances and the fact I am going thru heavy show withdrawal, I would honestly consider wearing this fuckin thing if it meant we got live music back again, lol.

But yeah, I feel terrible for all the artists, musicians, road crew and venues during this time.
    80% of an artists income is from touring... nobody buys music anymore. Everyone streams it. Take away touring and the music industry will be over.

Every week, a new small venue here in Canada is announced it's closing it's doors for good. Even if the artists manage to somehow survive 2-3 years of not touring, there may not be any venue's left for them to preform at if/when they are allowed to return to the stage.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 08-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

this article is a whole other level of Bull Shit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    My commute was my restorative time.

Mentioned
    828 Post(s)
    I am a latch key kid. From the time I was 8, I got myself and my little brother ready for school in the morning on my own and got us breakfast and left for school and my single mother had left for work hours before.

From the time I was 5 to 12, we came home from school and went to the babysitter’s. After I turned 13, we just came home, alone. I babysat. Mom often worked until 7 pm. We made ourselves dinner. Most of the neighborhood was like this. If we were sick, we stayed home alone. If we had emergencies, we called Mom at work. This included arguments, fighting, wrestling over stupid crap, accidents, etc. My Mom often got into trouble at work (she was a secretary) and was threatened with losing her job for spending too much time talking with us or picking us up from school, etc. I broke both arms (not at the same time, lol). My brother needed stitches a few times. One time we drank lighter fluid while the babysitter was watching soaps.

There were no after-school snacks at home, my Mom barely remembered to make us lunch. She worked 10-12 hour days. No child support. We wondered why we didn’t have a life like those kids on TV.

If I could have an at-home Mom, I’d have sold my soul.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-05-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I am a latch key kid. From the time I was 8, I got myself and my little brother ready for school in the morning on my own and got us breakfast and left for school and my single mother had left for work hours before.

From the time I was 5 to 12, we came home from school and went to the babysitter’s. After I turned 13, we just came home, alone. I babysat. Mom often worked until 7 pm. We made ourselves dinner. Most of the neighborhood was like this. If we were sick, we stayed home alone. If we had emergencies, we called Mom at work. This included arguments, fighting, wrestling over stupid crap, accidents, etc. My Mom often got into trouble at work (she was a secretary) and was threatened with losing her job for spending too much time talking with us or picking us up from school, etc. I broke both arms (not at the same time, lol). My brother needed stitches a few times. One time we drank lighter fluid while the babysitter was watching soaps.

There were no after-school snacks at home, my Mom barely remembered to make us lunch. She worked 10-12 hour days. No child support. We wondered why we didn’t have a life like those kids on TV.

If I could have an at-home Mom, I’d have sold my soul.
    I grew up the same way as Allegro, except we couldn't afford a babysitter past seven. My mom worked two or three jobs my whole life. And when she died, it took a few years of talking to my half-sisters for me to realize it, but I'd never really known her. Not just the way that most kids don't know their parents until they're out of the house and come to some sort of realization that their parents are also human beings who have rich interior lives, but like at all. I hear stories about her and am like, "Shit, that was my mom who did that?"

I cannot even imagine how much different and, I can only assume better, my life would have been if she'd been able to stay at home. Even part of the time.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

remember how corona was not good? it's actually really not good.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Let's just say I have A LOT of really upset and scared friends who are teachers and lunch aids... Etc... My friend is a teacher in the South Hampton School District and they're making them go back 5 days a week, no distance learning.

"If the infection rate spikes." Just so much wrong with this sentence it is mind boggling.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I am SHOCKED Cuomo took this approach.

Thankfully, my district, right across the river from NYC in NJ, announced last night we are going full remote to start the year. At first, we were going to be open with kids rotating from week to week, then they decided no kids but only staff goes to school, then they finally settled on fully remote for staff and students. I feel so relieved.

Now, the state has to approve it, and our gov. is acting like an idiot trying to force in person learning. We'll see...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I am SHOCKED Cuomo took this approach.

Thankfully, my district, right across the river from NYC in NJ, announced last night we are going full remote to start the year. At first, we were going to be open with kids rotating from week to week, then they decided no kids but only staff goes to school, then they finally settled on fully remote for staff and students. I feel so relieved.

Now, the state has to approve it, and our gov. is acting like an idiot trying to force in person learning. We'll see...
    Yea, we are all pretty shocked at the moment. I understand kids need to get back to learning, but they're acting as if they have missed 3 years of it. I don't wanna know what the backlash will look like if teachers refuse to go back.