Page 81 of 122 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    For a 14 yr old that award is just. This isn't even a "proof of concept." It's "in silco" which means it's a calculated solution entirely through computation. It has no wet lab data to support the finding. There's no data that supports the molecule is viable/ nontoxic/ capable of being mass-produced. It's a completely laudable achievement, and I'm sure big pharma will pay attention, but it isn't exactly something on the cover of Science or Nature just yet.

I mean, career-wise, she's set. She's in alignment for where ever she wants to go for college, PhD program, etc.
    awesome, really appreciate the explanation!

edited so the post isn't bottom-paged.
    Last edited by allegate; 10-20-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    edited so the post isn't bottom-paged.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For a 14 yr old that award is just. This isn't even a "proof of concept." It's "in silco" which means it's a calculated solution entirely through computation. It has no wet lab data to support the finding. There's no data that supports the molecule is viable/ nontoxic/ capable of being mass-produced. It's a completely laudable achievement, and I'm sure big pharma will pay attention, but it isn't exactly something on the cover of Science or Nature just yet.
    This is how lots of scientific research is done these days though. Various conditions that can't be applied in practical experiments (YET) are simulated in order to see if there's even any potential in trying to get there later or is it going to be a waste of time and money.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    This is how lots of scientific research is done these days though. Various conditions that can't be applied in practical experiments (YET) are simulated in order to see if there's even any potential in trying to get there later or is it going to be a waste of time and money.
    Yes, I know. I used to conduct research.
    I was just clarifying to the poster I quoted that this was just an initial first step. It's 100% theoretical with no physical data, which is why the prize was $25K and not $2M.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I watched this a year ago and commented “that’s right” and kept getting lol notifications and such on it (because he keeps saying that phrase). A year later I’m watching it again and laughing at people saying this dude is wearing a mask better than most Americans right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I watched this a year ago and commented “that’s right” and kept getting lol notifications and such on it (because he keeps saying that phrase). A year later I’m watching it again and laughing at people saying this dude is wearing a mask better than most Americans right now.

Well, this is not news. People tend to scoff at things that have not affected them. But then their opinion changes dramatically when a problem affects them or there is a threat that it will. Therefore, it seems to me, it is better not to pay attention to such "funny" ones. All the same, you will not prove that you are right, but they are mistaken and make hasty conclusions.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My Mom’s neighbor, Jim, is 75. Jim’s brother-in-law died of Covid last April.

His niece tested positive last week.

His nephew was hospitalized yesterday with pneumonia. Today, he tested positive for Covid. They’re scanning his legs for blood clots.

Which means Jim’s sister must go get tested tomorrow, because her son lives with her; he moved in after getting laid off from United Airlines to help care for his ailing dad. His dad went into the hospital, then rehab, got Covid in rehab, then died in the hospital that Jim just got discharged from on Wednesday night. (Jim has Lewy Body Dementia and Parkinson’s and my husband and I, and my Mom, helped care for him.)

Jim’s sister is 81 and has been very sick for at least four days. I kept asking her on the phone to get tested but she kept telling me she didn’t have a fever. Note that her son never had a fever, either.

Jim was transferred from the hospital to a nursing home facility. Today, that facility told us there’s so much Covid on his floor, they have to evacuate him and other patients. I helped his sister get him into a new facility that had been in the works, he’s being transferred tomorrow morning.

I have to empty Jim’s apartment by the end of October, with the help of the only other family member of Jim who does not have Covid. Yesterday, I figured out how to schedule the shut-off of his electric service in his apartment on November 1st.

Tonight, we found out that the medical transport service that transferred Jim from the hospital to the nursing home neglected to bring in with him a bag that contained his reading glasses and HIS DENTURES. So now his teeth are missing somewhere in a car.

This is a nightmare.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-23-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Christ, I hope you read them the riot act when you see them.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    allegro, sorry to hear that. that is truly awful. please stay safe and best wishes to all involved.

the scariest moment so far to me was back in april/may. things were REALLY bad in this part of NJ. my parents live upstairs from me and my dad called me upstairs. his heart was racing, he was freaking out. we called the ambulance. they came and said: "he's not having a heart attack. just an anxiety attack. we can't take him in, there's literally no space in the hospital. we can only bring people with covid in or people who are dieing. " wow. now, hospitalizions are on the rise again in NJ. makes me wonder how many people weren't as lucky as my dad who was "just" (I say that in quotes because to me it's still serious) having an anxiety attack.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    We've been teaching remotely at our district since the school year began. We were going to start a hybrid schedule starting the middle of next month.

It's now been pushed back until at least Febuarary.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're remote for the entire school year.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My husband is a teacher and they've been doing the hybrid schedule since September. They've had a case here and there, but only shut down the school for one day. Now he got a text last night from one of his student's mother that she tested positive. She didn't have any symptoms, she just had to take the test before she had a procedure done. She's going to get her children tested today. God damnit, pleaseeeeeeee don't let them test positive.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ugh, sorry to hear that

some of the private/charter schools around here have been hybrid and there's been positive tests popping up all over the place. my co-worker's daughter just found out two people in one of her classes tested positive (high school) .

schools just can't be open until the virus is contained, imo...wouldn't be surprised if we're remote until june (especially if trump wins)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Second lockdown here in Germany as of next Monday. Time to hit my favorite bar this weekend and hope it survives a second hit to the guts. This is definitely a disaster for many, not even talking about the countless people working in gastronomy, events and tourism.

While our government seemed to do very well in handling this pandemic it's getting more and more helpless with regulations in place from one week to another. Worst of all they are losing support from genuine people and votes against the right wingers and esotheric nutjobs.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My more nihilistic side congratulates them on their effort to march themselves closer and faster to destruction.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    My more nihilistic side congratulates them on their effort to march themselves closer and faster to destruction.
    We must save the Texas Roadhouse at all costs!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Almost 130,000 COVID cases were reported in the U.S yesterday (Nov 7th.)!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    This is good. Still a long way off...but good news. Pence already out there claiming credit. Fucking frauds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    This is good. Still a long way off...but good news. Pence already out there claiming credit. Fucking frauds.
    Too late lmao

Finally, thank fuck

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

And Ben Carson.

Biden's team going to have to hazmat the White House before moving in.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Everytime they say Warp Speed, I always think of the movie Spaceballs lmao

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    New lock down rules in NY and NJ as cases rise again

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    to be honest, I think our lockdown rules are not enough. "nothing after 10 pm"

too many schools are still open

we are going to be in for a very long and tough winter here in the NJ/NYC area.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    to be honest, I think our lockdown rules are not enough. "nothing after 10 pm"

too many schools are still open

we are going to be in for a very long and tough winter here in the NJ/NYC area.
    Lump in Ontario with that over on the other side of the border. Our idiot Premier has completely bungled the 're-opening' and cases are now spiking higher than they've EVER been.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Some important information was presented in a recent NPR article regarding face mask usage. Here are a few highlights:

"The agency [CDC] said masks were intended to block virus-laden particles that might be emitted by an infected person... But it also cites growing evidence that even cloth masks can also reduce the amount of infectious droplets inhaled by the wearer."

The article also discusses a paper recently published by Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease physician with the University of California, asserting that "wearing masks can reduce the severity of illness with COVID-19, even if the wearer does become infected."

Some guidance about selecting an appropriate face covering is also presented, thanks to Dr. Scott Segal, a professor and chair of anesthesiology at Wake Forest School of Medicine: "Hold up the fabric to a bright light or to the sun. He says if you can 'see the light outlining the individual fibers in the fabric, it's probably not a good filter. And if you can't, it's probably going to filter better.' He and other researchers say a tight-weave 100% cotton material is a good bet."

Article at NPR: Wear Masks To Protect Yourself From The Coronavirus, Not Only Others, CDC Stresses