Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    No, but you do get to talk shit about a government's response of attempting to cover it up instead of being open and upfront and providing people with the necessary information.

On a different note, guess who's flying to several Asian countries (multiple times, no less) for a good portion of the year? Thankfully China itself isn't on the list, but still - proximity is a concern.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I mean fuck the chinese government, I don't want to see people die for it to have to happen but canceling the summer olympics there would absolutely be a silver lining to this horrible situation.
    What's wrong with the Olympics being in Tokyo?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah, the BC dot is in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range not accessible by road, when it's been confirmed to be in Vancouver. I think the dots are just placeholders to show what states/areas are infected and not exactly showing the location of the virus. Just used as a reference point for data.
    Well I mean...that would be pretty weird and unethical if the map showed us the exact gps location of the infected people.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    What's wrong with the Olympics being in Tokyo?
    I’m a fucking idiot lmaooooooo

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Well I mean...that would be pretty weird and unethical if the map showed us the exact gps location of the infected people.
    Individual hospitals where cases are being tested/treated/discharged are regularly identified in North American media, so that's kind of the same thing (not saying that we need this information... as I said before, the best prevention is common-sense airborne respiratory disease containment strategies).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Exactly. The newspapers here in Chicago are telling us the exact location of the two infected people in the Chicago area.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    "possible" coronavirus patient in NYC
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...pital/2275229/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    No, but you do get to talk shit about a government's response of attempting to cover it up instead of being open and upfront and providing people with the necessary information.

On a different note, guess who's flying to several Asian countries (multiple times, no less) for a good portion of the year? Thankfully China itself isn't on the list, but still - proximity is a concern.
    I had a friend who flew into Korea last week, and he said that they were doing check points everywhere, if that helps any.

And....for what it's worth, the Olympics can be slightly problematic in Tokyo if people are traveling there via China, which is a lot of western Europe.

There is this though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Considering this...
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ated-bioweapon

there is no way this was naturally occurring. If I had to bet, the Chinese government has been spreading it purposely to break up the Hong Kong protests.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm actually a molecular biologist. I'm going to look at the papers in detail, but blast searches always come up with all sorts of things dependent upon the parameters set. This is also pre-peer review, so it should be taken with a grain a salt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both it being naturally occurring and something engineered are equally valid.

ETA: "This is a preliminary study. Considering the grave situation, it was shared in BioRxiv as soon as possible to have creative discussion on the fast evolution of SARS-like corona viruses. It was not our intention to feed into the conspiracy theories and no such claims are made here. While we appreciate the criticisms and comments provided by scientific colleagues at BioRxiv forum and elsewhere, the story has been differently interpreted and shared by social media and news platforms. We have positively received all criticisms and comments. To avoid further misinterpretation and confusions world-over, we have decided to withdraw the current version of the preprint and will get back with a revised version after reanalysis, addressing the comments and concerns. Thank you to all who contributed in this open-review process.
    : Authors of the Manuscript"

Last edited by Magnetic; 02-02-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I'm actually a molecular biologist. I'm going to look at the papers in detail, but blast searches always come up with all sorts of things dependent upon the parameters set. This is also pre-peer review, so it should be taken with a grain a salt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both it being naturally occurring and something engineered are equally valid.

ETA: "This is a preliminary study. Considering the grave situation, it was shared in BioRxiv as soon as possible to have creative discussion on the fast evolution of SARS-like corona viruses. It was not our intention to feed into the conspiracy theories and no such claims are made here. While we appreciate the criticisms and comments provided by scientific colleagues at BioRxiv forum and elsewhere, the story has been differently interpreted and shared by social media and news platforms. We have positively received all criticisms and comments. To avoid further misinterpretation and confusions world-over, we have decided to withdraw the current version of the preprint and will get back with a revised version after reanalysis, addressing the comments and concerns. Thank you to all who contributed in this open-review process.
    : Authors of the Manuscript"

that makes this announcement make a little more sense:

‘The results look good so far:’ Thai doctors tout promising treatment for Wuhan coronavirus

A cocktail of antiviral drugs appeared effective in treating a seriously ill coronavirus patient, a Thai health official said.

The HIV medicines lopinavir and ritonavir, which are sold by AbbVie Inc. as the product Kaletra, was used on three patients in conjunction with the anti-flu medication oseltamivir, sold by Roche Holding AG and Chugai Pharmaceutical Co. as Tamiflu, Somkiat Lalitwongsa, director of the Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok told reporters Monday.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    If it was truly randomized, then n = 6, which is quite low. Hopeful, but I'll hold my breath until the sample size increases.
    I also wonder how much this drug is world wide/ how much profit is to be made from this small study. Let's not give biopharma too much credit.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Good overall summary of how this is actually manifesting, in terms of fatality rate, compared to other virus outbreaks. "In essence, it's a version of SARS that spreads more easily but causes less damage." Ian Jones, professor of virology at the University of Reading.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    BBC reporting rather depressingly that London's Chinatown is having a drop off in custom and residents are being treated badly due to the virus...fuck sake.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    BBC reporting rather depressingly that London's Chinatown is having a drop off in custom and residents are being treated badly due to the virus...fuck sake.
    Yeah, that's pretty much globally at this point.
    Chinese lady coughed on an airplane and they told her to put on a mask.

Also, some jackass at a gas station told a lady she "dropped her corona virus" when she threw a tissue out the window of her car.

Sad to see the world treading backwards in times like these.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Here's a resource of 5,352 papers from 1968-2020 about Coronaviridae and related strains:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...52_scientific/

The good majority of these are/were behind paywalls. I did not include a direct link, as this legally is the same as stealing a book and posting it online. I hope, though, we can all see the difference between sharing a novel and sharing medical research papers.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Any major research institution worth a damn has access to these paywalls. Which means any researcher with adequate qualifications has access to these, and the paywalls are a way to keep sensational journalists from posting about these articles with minimal experience.

Just because there's 5000+ articles on "coronav+" doesn't mean they're all reputable or applicable, especially when you scale back beyond 1990s research. Peer review quality has been more rigorous over the last 20 years.

While it's easy to read the author's outrage and get in a tizzy about things, unless you're in the field it's difficult to navigate. Biological science is not some cut and dry thing that's easy to read. Statistics can be manipulated, data can be manipulated, and compiling data from 5000+ studies over 5 decades is questionable in my book.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 02-06-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    thus we have entered into act two of Contagion:

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Convicted felon Jim Bakker, sentenced to 45 years in prison after being found guilty on 24 counts of fraud, falsely claims that a substance repeatedly demonstrated to possess no health benefits can cure a rapidly spreading virus.

#truthinheadlines

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Convicted felon Jim Bakker, sentenced to 45 years in prison after being found guilty on 24 counts of fraud, falsely claims that a substance repeatedly demonstrated to possess no health benefits can cure a rapidly spreading virus.

#truthinheadlines
    Now wait a second. Let's hear him out. I say we lock him one of those cruise ship cabins with some coughed on rags and test this shit out. Pump in some dirty air to be 100% sure. We'll never know until he tries!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Snake Oil

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Now wait a second. Let's hear him out. I say we lock him one of those cruise ship cabins with some coughed on rags and test this shit out. Pump in some dirty air to be 100% sure. We'll never know until he tries!
    I saw a response that said we should send him + the other profit preachers to lay hands on everyone over there to ensure this is taken care of as quickly as possible.

'This' can be left up to your imagination.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

I say him and the bitch peddling it go and prove it. Take them to a diseased wing of a hospital or containment center and see if they live after taking a dose or two.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Then while taking full advantage of science-based treatment, proclaim myself a miracle-worker to my bleating flock of morons.
    Last edited by botley; 06-24-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I say him and the bitch peddling it go and prove it. Take them to a diseased wing of a hospital or containment center and see if they live after taking a dose or two.
    Not even live, just see if they get sick or not. If it really does "cure" it then they won't have so much as a cough.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Just doing cardio at the gym today and saw a quote from good old Donald Trump that April will be an important month because the weather will start to heat up and heat is the only thing known to kill the virus.

No, Donald... Not at that temperature. Stay in your lane.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Bush Jr was a moron, but in a lovable sort of way. Trump's stupidity is just plain aggravating.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Bruhhhhhh cryingggggggggg lmaooooooooooooooo