Page 76 of 122 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So Sinclair stations are going to be running a steaming pile of shit this weekend about how Fauci created the coronovirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/media...ing/index.html

I want to know something: is it possible to sue Sinclair? I mean we can sue for anything, right? So is there grounds for a lawsuit against them for this stupid shit? I am getting tired of the rich getting away with everything because they're rich.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    It's complicated. My limited understanding (I'm not a medical dr/ I have cellular/ molecular training) follows this way of thinking:

1. There are people who have innate immunity to this. This could be why a large percentage of the population are asymptomatic AND they don't develop antibodies. This is why most/ but not all children *seem* to be ok with this virus. Innate immunity is simply inherited from mostly genetics/ maternal immunity. In this scenario - no antibodies are produced (at least not to significant amounts) because the body doesn't need them to fight off the infection.
      • However, there is a subset of the population who appear healthy and viable - but they have a severe reaction. This shows up in younger adults AND children.
        • Either they have unknown underlying preconditions or
        • They lack all components of whatever innate immunity others have.

2. People who have severe reactions to the virus tend to develop significant antibodies - if they survive. This follows the classic Adaptive Immunity response:

• Your body is presented with a pathogen --> Various cells encounter it, and produce antibodies to it.
    • In theory - if the body develops antibodies, it should be immune unless it mutates.
      • Yes, the virus has mutated....but not in virulence that we've observed so far. The mutation makes it more infectious (European/ American strains) but not more virulent
        • We don't know how long those antibodies will last, but serum transplants tend to help those in ICU when administered with sufficient time to save them.

3. There may be people with innate immunity, but pre-existing conditions complicate the response. This makes them more dependent upon adaptive immunity, but their system is already "broken" in a way. The elderly tend to fall into this category, as well as people with high levels of inflammation: diabetes, hypertension, etc.

4. Additionally.... there are many avenues of approach for this virus. While it primarily affects the respiratory system, it's more alarming with regard to it's vascular virulence: renal failure, stroke, blot clots, etc. These issues seem to arise in seemingly "healthy" people - which in my mind means, it's slipping past the innate immune response and causing problems completely different from the "traditional" respiratory illness. This may point to underlying causes we're unaware of.

5. The long term damage is a legit thing. This crap basically scars lungs and damages kidneys.

• Even more reason to get rid of that Angry Cheeto who sits in office.

• So, is there a chance your innate immunity fights it off, and they you get to go for round two? Perhaps.
    • Should we dash all hope a vaccine will help? No.
    • Should we take this as a fucking lesson, and prepare for the next pandemic? Abso-fucking-lutely.
    • Should we all wear masks and social distance? Fuck yes.

I've known quite a few people who have gone through this. It isn't easy, but most of them report resting and doing breathing exercises daily. They describe it as "fighting" with their lungs, but if they don't, they fear pneumonia. And in Florida right now, ICUs are overwhelmed.

I've been hiding since March, because I don't feel lucky with my genetic lottery, and I'm scared as fuck at this stuff.
    What pisses me off the most, is the angry cheeto trying to knee-cap the ACA right now. It's fucking disgusting.
    Even more complicated than I really considered. I guess any way you slice it, we’re in for a fucked up situation for quite a while. Let’s hope a reliable vaccine can be produced relatively quickly. Honestly, I’m concerned that a vaccine that’s either unsafe or ineffective will be considerably pushed towards the end of October; I’m sure everyone can understand what I’m getting at.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I don't think that's going to happen at all.

When SARS came out, we were 3/4 the way to a safe vaccine (a lab in Pittsburgh I think). The funding was shut down when it became evident that the virus was "contained" in China. If we had that vaccine, I think we'd be slightly better off.
    While there is a "race" for the vaccine, there are still regulations. I believe the front-runners are companies in Europe, which have way better regulations than the US.

My guess is that *maybe* we'll see something approved 4QTR 2020-1QTR 2021. Large-scale availability closer to 3QTR 2021.

The reason the vaccine develop is happening faster is due to the technology. It's advanced so much in the last 7 years, but funding is always an issue. In science, the saying "If it isn't big sexy science no one cares" holds true.
    Right now everyone cares about coronavirus. You have major corporations willing to dump millions into vaccines to get their business back on track. Imagine if we had that sort of backing for HIV.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    But don’t we have huge government backing? Aren’t American taxpayers paying tons of money for R&D?

Like, this video?

If we develop a national health system and control the cost of pharmaceuticals, the R&D will still be funded by American taxpayers; the difference is that the results will not be then handed off to private companies. Instead, the resulting drugs will become the property of the U.S. Government, which can then sell those drugs to U.S. citizens at controlled (low) costs), and to other countries for a higher price (or free to third world countries).
    Last edited by allegro; 07-25-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Mmm... yes / no. As of 2019 there were people in the UK who would travel to the US to get cancer drug treatments "unavailable" in the NHS. Just because it's nationalized, doesn't mean they get to control the pricing.

I've seen the NHS and the US system. Neither are a panacea.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I’m not talking about their system.

I’m talking about a system that we develop, for us. The United States is still way less broke than the U.K.

Right now, other countries negotiate cheaper drug prices than what Americans pay, because those countries refuse to pay higher prices; and Americans pay the higher prices to cover the profit loss.

If Big Pharma was paying for its own R&D, then I’d be fully behind their capitalist endeavors. But they’re not. So we get fucked. By “what the market will bear” bullshit. Many of these Big Pharma companies aren’t even American companies.

If the polio vaccine had been based on Big Pharma’s ability to profit, we’d all be crippled and in iron lungs right now. Because nobody could afford the vaccine.

The current model is unsustainable. We need to be cutting-edge, but that comes from academia; not from Big Pharma. So, fund academia and science.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-25-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I couldn't agree with you more. Fund the research and science.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Herman Cain Remains Hospitalized 1 Month After COVID-19 Diagnosis

The former Republican presidential candidate and Trump campaign surrogate is “being treated with oxygen for his lungs,” his team said.
    I did not know he was still in the hospital, wow.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH, holy FUCK this guy!!!!!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    He wore a diaper to “own the libs.” That’s all you need to know about Charlie Kirk.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    He wore a diaper to “own the libs.” That’s all you need to know about Charlie Kirk.
    He's such a weenie... This "defiant young neo-con alt-right fuckhead" thing is getting old. Can you imagine this pouty little firecracker trying to come into your store, and you ask him to please put on a mask, and he responds with "First of all..."

No, there's no "first of all" here. Get the fuck out of my store.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

*insert In Soviet Russia joke here*

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Herman Cain, who attended the Tulsa Trump rally (denouncing masks while doing so) , has died from COVID.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Herman Cain, who attended the Tulsa Trump rally (denouncing masks while doing so) , has died from COVID.
    I hear actions have consequences.

edit:
    Last edited by cdm; 07-30-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LMAO. Put a mask on his body as it goes in the ground with a sign 'I DONE GOOFED.'

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    He literally gave his life for the GOP's campaign to downplay the seriousness of COVID19! I didn't wish for him to die, but also LOL, YOLO, and #tulsaRally2020 #TrumpTulsa #TulsaTRumpRally #MAGA #Trump2020 #Trump2020Landslide

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    didn't they say just a couple days ago that he was on a ventilator but the rest of him was doing fine? I wonder if they're going to detail any of the complications.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    A big, loud HA HA. Oh, the irony.

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavi...ovid-c-1205456

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    both English speaking democratic major western countries., the UK and US have fucked up here, really embarrassing for both, im from UK a question for my American friends

has anyone else in the US had real trouble figuring out whats going on interpreting the government guidelines. do you think you would have had a better understanding of what was happening prior to the internet being invented if there was a more direct service telling you what was going on rather than this fragmented internet system?

why are the UK and the US so terrible as opposed to Germany?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    How Jared Kushner fucked things up re Coronavirus REALLY badly and lots of people are dead:

Last edited by allegro; 07-30-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    In the US it's two-fold IMO:

1. Lack of coordinated federal response, both epidemiological and economic. The administration's interests seem to fall in this order: 1. reelection, 2a. grifting, 2b. owning the blue states, end of list. Back in January they could have told him "control the virus, get reelected". Maybe they did and he just didn't listen. But a containment success was fool-proof path to electoral college reelection. Instead they didn't try...and here we are. Congress is too caught up on federal spending and the idea that people are collecting money while not working which is so fucking galaxy brained I'll stroke out if I think about it too much.

2. Individualism, opposed to collectivism. "Me, not Us". "Masks are tyranny." It's just grotesque how selfish some people are.

There certainly are other factors but those are the two biggest in my view.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Gov. Pritzker's briefing yesterday. He threatened to revert to Phase 3 (more or less) if Illinois didn't shape up in 3 days. What is the point? The actions were already taken 2 weeks ago; there is nothing that can be done in the next 3 days that will show up in 3 days. Fucking pointless. And, we'll have to close down here because everyone will flock from Peoria to what's open.

Just revert if you're going to revert. Don't threaten action during a timeline where it's impossible to affect the change you're wanting to see.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Fucking Wisconsin. We just put the dingy in the water, paid for the slip, just wanted to go for a little ride on the water once in a while to get rid of all this stress. Now I can’t go up there because it’s a Covid cesspool and they aren’t controlling it and one of the questions I’m asked when I take my Lewy Body patient everywhere for healthcare appointments is, “have you left the state?” Now I can’t. What a fucking waste of money. I hate all these irresponsible people.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    lol...

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavi...ears-c-1211545

Money laundering is not a good idea, as a South Korean found out when he or she put banknotes in a washing machine to remove possible traces of the coronavirus.
    Officials say the loss was considerable.
    The person living in Ansan city, near Seoul, placed an unspecified amount of 50,000-won ($42) bills in a washing machine earlier this year. Some of the money was seriously damaged, and the person reached out to the Bank of Korea to find whether it could be exchanged for new bills.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post

Thousands protest in Berlin against coronavirus restrictions

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...dsfRyYdJbSl-aA

Last edited by ManBurning; 08-03-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Dr Birx gave a factual update on what's going on, and now Trump is accusing her of bowing to pressure from Nancy Pelosi to "hit back" at the Trump campaign, despite the "great job" they're doing with the "China Virus."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Dr Birx gave a factual update on what's going on, and now Trump is accusing her of bowing to pressure from Nancy Pelosi to "hit back" at the Trump campaign, despite the "great job" they're doing with the "China Virus."
    This is the best fucking timeline.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah people have grown impatient here, too so eventhough we Germans held up quite good now it's populism, conspiracy theories and the right winged who are slowly taking over the news. It makes me want to throw up.

What's getting to me the most is that tension arises even within my own group of friends by now. :/

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Can he just get covid already?!?