Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    holy shit listening to Trump do this Coronavirus press conference... even though we're normalized to this it's just maddening

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Apropos of absolutely nothing at all...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-...b002a7312022ef

While no, not apples to potential apples but several parallels are already emerging: 1. Funding has been slashed for pandemic response and they’ve said they’ll rob Peter (cooincidently(?) hiv programs, among others) to pay Paul. 2. We’ve already seen the downplaying of the CV situation coupled with the blathering disinformation and maybe the most worrysome: 3. The potential for Pence to put his “faith” above the science and physicians is truly frightening. Fuck that guy.
    Last edited by cdm; 02-26-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    he appointed MIKE PENCE to handle it as czar

god help us.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The entire country is sold out of those 3M masks, but you can get N95 masks at Home Depot.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I think I read that they have to be properly fitted for them to be effective. Otherwise it's just a really expensive 3M mask.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Pence being put in charge of this, is possibly the worst thing that could happen to civilization. I can see this leading to his biblically prophesied ascension to the Presidency becoming a reality... shortly before he himself succumbs to the Coronavirus, the last man alive in the bunker.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I think I read that they have to be properly fitted for them to be effective. Otherwise it's just a really expensive 3M mask.
    There are online vids as to how to make sure they’re fitted properly. Biggest issue is making sure you have no air gaps. They’re not that expensive. But, if they don’t start making more, they WILL BE.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Upon further reading, my "Delta suspended service" thing from the last page is completely wrong. They suspended service between ONE of their American stops; the others are all still running. It wasn't an "oh shit, stop the spread" move, it was an "oh shit, no one is buying tickets for this specific route" move.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    We're all gonna die

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    We're all gonna die
    Well, yeah.

I really wasn't that worried about coronavirus until Pence was put in charge.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    It's too bad that this very real, very serious thing is probably gonna end up devolving into some partisan political issue.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Well, yeah.

I really wasn't that worried about coronavirus until Pence was put in charge.
    saw pontification today that wonders if putting him in charge of something this high profile is a way to take him off the ticket when he fails.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Pence being put in charge of this, is possibly the worst thing that could happen to civilization. I can see this leading to his biblically prophesied ascension to the Presidency becoming a reality... shortly before he himself succumbs to the Coronavirus, the last man alive in the bunker.
    with his finger on the nuclear button. he can't wait to hang with his bud Jesus. hey.....isn't that a hispanic name?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    It's too bad that this very real, very serious thing is probably gonna end up devolving into some partisan political issue.
    I think that's actually just the motto of American politics. Same could be applied to civil rights, climate change, providing health care for people, education, etc.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I think that's actually just the motto of American politics. Same could be applied to civil rights, climate change, providing health care for people, education, etc.
    Yeah, for sure. I guess I was just hoping for a bit there that this might be different. I mean, I don't see why this needs to be like that.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I mean, I don't see why this needs to be like that.
    The White House, and much of the government, is currently under the control of a criminal who has been backed into a corner and will likely be facing jail time as soon as he's out of the job. He will do anything - ANYTHING - to stay in office. If that means attacking people and politicizing a potential pandemic in order to rile up his base and try to win votes, that's just another day at work for the current POTUS. I think if literally anyone else were in office, the majority of the country would feel confident that POTUS, or at least a respectable team, were taking this seriously and doing everything in their power to help.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Holy shit, people are dumb. I will admit I was wrong about this.

The agency's survey, released Thursday, asked 737 American beer drinkers' opinions about the Corona beer brand with the coronavirus spreading.

It found 38% of beer-drinking Americans would not buy Corona under any circumstances now and 16% said they were confused about whether Corona beer is related to the coronavirus.
    Jokes about corona being a shit beer aside....wow.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Holy shit, people are dumb. I will admit I was wrong about this.

Jokes about corona being a shit beer aside....wow.
    People are dumb. It's why I am, by and large, a misanthropist.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    People are dumb. It's why I am, by and large, a misanthropist.

1 of my main life mottos: people are fucking stupid.
    if you remember that you'll go further than most.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Funny remark I heard on the radio this morning. They were asking listeners whether or not they were scared of the coronavirus and if they were prepared. One listener called in and said, "I'm from the hood, and everybody stays away from the hood anyways! So I'll be alright, I ain't scared." hahahaha

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    My gf had a global meeting / conference scheduled for March in San Diego...it's been postponed until further notice due to COVID19.

I wonder when this will start to affect campaign events.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Given how badly the markets are dropping, what we need is a massive gesture to show that this is really nothing to be afraid of. Like the president taking a trip to China to prove things are okay and all our consumer goods are still being manufactured. Take some factory tours, speak with the locals about how the virus isn't so bad, etc.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Given how badly the markets are dropping, what we need is a massive gesture to show that this is really nothing to be afraid of. Like the president taking a trip to China to prove things are okay and all our consumer goods are still being manufactured. Take some factory tours, speak with the locals about how the virus isn't so bad, etc.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. What we need is transparency and updates, daily even, from CDC doctors / scientists. Not a word from Trump, not a word from Pence.

In the background, testing in the US needs to improve, in both accuracy and speed. The doctors need to know right away if it's Covid or not. Then and only then can they start to analyze the data and track the outbreak. Not only that but with the limited isolation bedspace, hospitals can't be housing patients with the run-of-the-mill flu for 2-3 days waiting for results to come back. That will drain resources and turn away a lot of patients.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Exactly; I'm sure someone could even convince him to go to Wuhan.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    Exactly; I'm sure someone could even convince him to go to Wuhan.
    I should have my sarcasm meter checked, shouldn't I?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    would it be better or worse if he pukes on someone à la Bush the First?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, we might cancel our trip to Europe if this thing gets worse. Luckily, we don't leave til May 26th, so still a couple months for this thing to blow over, but at the rate it's growing, I don't see it getting eradicated in 3 months. We've prepared to bite the bullet and cancel our trip. 1 hotel is non refundable, 1 is. The flights, we won't get refunds for those. But we'll get a credit to use for a year. Guess if Trent and friends announce something for the fall, I'll have the airfare credit on reserve lol.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So uh... will I get the virus if I rewatch Corona Capital NIN stream?