Page 75 of 122 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    the Orange County board of Education is encouraging kids to go back to school, to NOT maintain any attempts at social distancing, and that "masks are not recommended" because the science doesn't back it up, and "may even be harmful."

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the Orange County board of Education is encouraging kids to go back to school, to NOT maintain any attempts at social distancing, and that "masks are not recommended" because the science doesn't back it up, and "may even be harmful."
    Something blocking droplets is better than nothing in this case. That's just common sense; if you need to wait a year for 3 science publications to tell you it's a good idea before you start thinking about wearing a mask, you weren't paying attention from the beginning.

Re: harmful: that original story about masks being harmful because of increased oxygen and CO2 levels was specifically for N95 masks. Also, it was increased oxygen and CO2 levels, nothing to indicate harm unless you have a cardiopulmonary co-morbidity (and your chance to contract just about anything is increased with heart and lung problems). Masks are fucking uncomfortable, and people are great at making excuses.

Meanwhile, in Illinois and Missouri, parents are being asked to sign poorly-worded coronavirus death waivers for kids wanting to participate in after-school activities.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    numbers are disappearing since the White House took over for corona data. what a shocker.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/us-c...dc-to-hhs.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

wow.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Kayleigh, on supporting Trump's urging to just send all the kids back to school: "The science should not stand in the way of this."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-live-updates

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    my co-teacher's son, after watching the news...a legit quote:
    "Dad, they are trying to kill you guys"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Kayleigh, on supporting Trump's urging to just send all the kids back to school: "The science should not stand in the way of this."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-live-updates
    Just "follow the science" what's the problem?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    cases rising in kids around the country with some summer schools and camps open.
    but it's ok to send the kids in September.
    fuck this
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...yeing-openings

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Those of you who wear glasses and are wearing masks. Can you speak to how effective any of these tips and tricks are for defogging?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#5fce23f02e6a
    For a cheap mask (cloth mask, anything with ear loops, etc.) the only thing which works for me to prevent eyeglass fogging is to tape the top of the mask to my face with about 4 inches of first aid tape. That silly pinchey wire thing is woefully inadequate for my huge bony nose!

For professional grade respirators like what I wear for working with cement dust or asbestos, finding a brand which correctly forms a perfect seal to my face is paramount. But I am not supposed to wear these masks in public, even though I have several in my tool kit!

Interesting note: The N95 mask we have all heard about is rated to filter out 95% of particles .3 microns or larger. In other words, it will let though 5% of particles (including the virus) .3 microns or larger. Is it completely safe to breath air which still has 5% of the virus particles present? NO. But it's 95% better than nothing which is a very serious advantage.

The mask I usually wear when dealing with asbestos is rated P100. This mask will stop 99.9% of particles .3 microns or larger. Which is really darn good. But it still lets through a very small amount. The protection is not absolute. And it's critically dependent upon how well the mask fits to my face. The smallest air leakage renders the mask ineffective for it's intended purpose.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    insomniamaniac tonight. chemo side effects. anyway, surfing on the net & found a whole bunch of NIN & related face masks. full disclosure: pretty sure these aren't sanctioned but some of them are pretty cool.

https://fineartamerica.com/shop/face...ine+inch+nails

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Putting on a tiny tin hat for a second: As brazen as they are, there must be conversations nationally about what November is being shaped to look like. Right? I mean they have to know something is coming for them to just put it all out there like this. Or do they just know that the majority of Republican voters don't care what they say as long as they support guns and abolishing abortion?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Putting on a tiny tin hat for a second: As brazen as they are, there must be conversations nationally about what November is being shaped to look like. Right? I mean they have to know something is coming for them to just put it all out there like this. Or do they just know that the majority of Republican voters don't care what they say as long as they support guns and abolishing abortion?
    They're all following Trumps lead now, and that is to discredit things that don't fit with what they want.

That strategy works when sexism is on your side and you're discrediting a female presidential candidate. That strategy might work when you're trying to discredit all democrats.

But that strategy probably won't work with a virus. I mean, I could be wrong, I didn't think it'd work with a lot of the things it worked with, but we'll have to see in November.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    brace yourselves
    the daily press briefings look like they may be returning tomorrow:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/polit...ngs/index.html

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    brace yourselves
    the daily press briefings look like they may be returning tomorrow:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/polit...ngs/index.html
    God help us all....

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

You would really think so but it seems like the newest strategy is to just double-down lest you look like a "coward" or something.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'll be honest, I had to rack my brain for the first half of this tweet.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I went to Central Park yesterday, and drove around NYC for a bit afterwards. I am SO PROUD of how many people were wearing masks throughout the city and park. It was a rare sight to see someone NOT wearing one! Moreso there than the 15 mins away where I'm from in NJ (and there's even wayyyy less mask wearing in south Jersey) .
    I live in Manhattan and walk in Central Park frequently- I like to do a lap around the loop every couple of days or so. The heat these past couple of weeks has made it tough for a lot of people to comply throughout, but most are trying, and the masks promptly go on when people pass each other.

That said, the stall attendant asshat who sold me a bottle of water and started pawing at the cap with his grubby fingers before trying to pass it to me- he got a pretty serious dressing down this morning.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    people are wearing masks around here, and I generally don't get out of my car for long anyway. I haven't been going to any real public areas... there's a decent spot to walk around here that's pretty vacant.

What really pisses me off is when I'm running in to the store or something, and everyone's wearing masks (because they'll be asked to leave otherwise), and they walk up to the counter and slip the mask off during their transaction. I really think a lot of these people wouldn't be wearing a mask at all if they weren't required to.

Which gets to the point: WE NEED a national mask mandate NOW. If Trump had handled the mask situation right from the start by, y'know, not mocking a reporter for wearing one and insinuating that his refusal to remove it was due to "political correctness." Yeah, and we wonder how this got political... SO now his limp "masks, I think, yeah, you should probably wear em" is too little too late. You already seeded the idea that it was tough and anti-PC to NOT wear a mask, now you have to actually make up for your fuck-up and mandate it, and anything less than that will just be a point alongside all the other ways this administration has completely screwed the handling of this. At the VERY LEAST the president should be stressing this in no uncertain terms, and ALWAYS wear a mask in front of cameras so that he sends the right message AND I don't have to look at half of his fucking face.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Not related to this virus, but such nasty stuff happens from animal/human (food) interaction. Look at this recent headline. Makes me squirm (no pun intended): https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...food-c-1186710

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ glad I gave up eating animal products a few years ago.

an infectious disease doctor I highly respect, who uses mostly peer-reviewed non funded scientific journals as sources, did this and if true, we're going to be in trouble. COVID 19 might just be a dress rehearsal for the next pandemic, which could be even crazier. i recall Fauci once saying in an interview that he expects another pandemic in the not too distant future too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Not related to this virus, but such nasty stuff happens from animal/human (food) interaction.
    He ate UNCOOKED FLOUNDER RIGHT OUT OF A LAKE.

Even sushi is flash-frozen to kill parasites.

I am not advocating the consumption of animal products, but you can contract parasites via the consumption of vegetables, too. Gotta wash your veggies.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-23-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He ate UNCOOKED FLOUNDER RIGHT OUT OF A LAKE.

Even sushi is flash-frozen to kill parasites.

I am not advocating the consumption of animal products, but you can contract parasites via the consumption of vegetables, too. Gotta wash your veggies.
    Pretty sure I vomited a few weeks ago from some lettuce that I accidentally didn’t wash properly. My sink wasn’t very fond of me for the rest of the day.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I had a discussion with someone the other day at work about something I haven’t yet seen brought up somewhere else. If the reports are true that many people can suffer long term damage as far as to lungs, blood clots, etc. (maybe even currently asymptomatic people) and the antibodies only protect you for a few months, then what is likely to happen to that person when/if they catch it again? All of a sudden a lot more people will have pre-existing health problems from the virus they’ve already previously obtained that they’ve now obtained a second time. Maybe I’m missing something and I’m way off base (I’m not a scientist), but could this turn into an even bigger shit show?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    I had a discussion with someone the other day at work about something I haven’t yet seen brought up somewhere else. If the reports are true that many people can suffer long term damage as far as to lungs, blood clots, etc. (maybe even currently asymptomatic people) and the antibodies only protect you for a few months, then what is likely to happen to that person when/if they catch it again? All of a sudden a lot more people will have pre-existing health problems from the virus they’ve already previously obtained that they’ve now obtained a second time. Maybe I’m missing something and I’m way off base (I’m not a scientist), but could this turn into an even bigger shit show?
    Well, yeah, that's a BIG potential problem; there are pre-existings that make these people REALLY vulnerable.

And this is yet another reason why we need to get rid of Trump and keep healthcare coverage!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    but send the kids to school!!!

more teachers are speaking out. more districts are closing. I really hope my district closes because as it stands right now, september is going to be a shit show of the highest degree. and I don't feel safe, even as a young and healthy person.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    It's complicated. My limited understanding (I'm not a medical dr/ I have cellular/ molecular training) follows this way of thinking:

1. There are people who have innate immunity to this. This could be why a large percentage of the population are asymptomatic AND they don't develop antibodies. This is why most/ but not all children *seem* to be ok with this virus. Innate immunity is simply inherited from mostly genetics/ maternal immunity. In this scenario - no antibodies are produced (at least not to significant amounts) because the body doesn't need them to fight off the infection.
      • However, there is a subset of the population who appear healthy and viable - but they have a severe reaction. This shows up in younger adults AND children.
        • Either they have unknown underlying preconditions or
        • They lack all components of whatever innate immunity others have.

2. People who have severe reactions to the virus tend to develop significant antibodies - if they survive. This follows the classic Adaptive Immunity response:

• Your body is presented with a pathogen --> Various cells encounter it, and produce antibodies to it.
    • In theory - if the body develops antibodies, it should be immune unless it mutates.
      • Yes, the virus has mutated....but not in virulence that we've observed so far. The mutation makes it more infectious (European/ American strains) but not more virulent
        • We don't know how long those antibodies will last, but serum transplants tend to help those in ICU when administered with sufficient time to save them.

3. There may be people with innate immunity, but pre-existing conditions complicate the response. This makes them more dependent upon adaptive immunity, but their system is already "broken" in a way. The elderly tend to fall into this category, as well as people with high levels of inflammation: diabetes, hypertension, etc.

4. Additionally.... there are many avenues of approach for this virus. While it primarily affects the respiratory system, it's more alarming with regard to it's vascular virulence: renal failure, stroke, blot clots, etc. These issues seem to arise in seemingly "healthy" people - which in my mind means, it's slipping past the innate immune response and causing problems completely different from the "traditional" respiratory illness. This may point to underlying causes we're unaware of.

5. The long term damage is a legit thing. This crap basically scars lungs and damages kidneys.

• Even more reason to get rid of that Angry Cheeto who sits in office.

• So, is there a chance your innate immunity fights it off, and they you get to go for round two? Perhaps.
    • Should we dash all hope a vaccine will help? No.
    • Should we take this as a fucking lesson, and prepare for the next pandemic? Abso-fucking-lutely.
    • Should we all wear masks and social distance? Fuck yes.

I've known quite a few people who have gone through this. It isn't easy, but most of them report resting and doing breathing exercises daily. They describe it as "fighting" with their lungs, but if they don't, they fear pneumonia. And in Florida right now, ICUs are overwhelmed.

I've been hiding since March, because I don't feel lucky with my genetic lottery, and I'm scared as fuck at this stuff.
    What pisses me off the most, is the angry cheeto trying to knee-cap the ACA right now. It's fucking disgusting.