Page 74 of 122 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    if that comes to pass then there was really no way to slow the virus's march, right? It was going to be a barn-burner regardless?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I don't know if we've talked about this here:
    https://medcitynews.com/2020/07/span...t-be-possible/

This is really bad news, not just for herd-immunity, but also for the prospect of having an effective vaccine. In short, only patients with severe reactions to the virus retained significant levels of antibodies, and those who went through Covid19 with little-to-no symptoms didn't. This really sucks.
    Yes and no.
    It appears that people who don't have significant reactions to the virus ("Type A")may have inherent "native" immunological adaptions that allow them to fight off the virus. This means their basic, non-specialized immunity fights it off ok.
    For those that don't have that magic non-specialized immunity ("Type B"), they rely on there "adapted" immunity, which means their body has to produce antibodies to cope, so those show up in the assay given for the study.

The question remains if is Type A's are contagious to to Type B's, and whether or not they can become repeatedly infectious over time. It won't change anything for the Type A community (potentially), but it becomes threatening to the Type B community repeatedly over time.
    Regardless, it has the potential that a vaccine, which follows Type B lineage, might still be advantageous. The caveat here is depending on how rapidly the virus mutates or adapts. Jury is out there.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I have O+ blood type, so now I guess that might be some kind of superpower?

Then there’s THIS:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/h...nderthals.html
    Last edited by allegro; 07-11-2020 at 12:08 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    No idea, as I don't have that subscription.
    FWIW, I'm A+, so I'm probably fucked. :P

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    It looks like Seattle is headed back to shelter in place. Rates of infected & deaths are trending up. A popular restaurant at the beach near where I live had 7 employees who tested positive. The health department closed them down whilst citing that proper safeguards had not been put in place. Unfortunately, the closing probably came too late. The beach area was a madhouse over the holiday weekend a week ago. Also an area about the same distance away (1-2 miles) from home has an infected rate of 20%. It's an area outside the city limits that is in the unincorporated county. Lots of immigrants & more poverty than the city side. Too damn close to home by far!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    it's never good news to hear that a place that was doing well is going backwards.

on that note, I'm expecting that to happen here in the NJ/NYC area within the next couple weeks. some people are acting like it's totally gone over here when it's not.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    No idea, as I don't have that subscription.
    It's from this.

https://medium.com/@johnhawks/neande...e-c258dc8bc2c9

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I think it's fake.
    I posted a similar post a few pages back about people hosting COVID parties, and it was shot down as fake news. That article reeks of very poor journalism.
    Based on all the sad stories I have read about people catching COVID and dying, they usually always tell you a little bit about the patient and their life before they died., At least the gender and the age. This one does not do either of those.

It's very vague. I think an article like this is used to try and keep people from going about carelessly acting like nothing is wrong. It's trying to go abouts getting the point of "stay inside. Social distance. Wear a mask" in a very poor manner.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I think it's fake.
    The video is real at least.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/5422175002/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    nah, pretty sure that "COVID Party" thing is real; there's tons of sites running with it.

This "wearing a mask violates mah freedoms! I think I shall protest" is 100% Donald Trump's fault.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    nah, pretty sure that "COVID Party" thing is real; there's tons of sites running with it.
    Are they *independently verifying* it, though, or just repeating hearsay from individuals claiming to have heard of one/saw a person who claims to have attended one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This "wearing a mask violates mah freedoms! I think I shall protest" is 100% Donald Trump's fault.
    It's partly 45, but also the rest of the GOP and a global right-wing/libertarian movement that they've embraced (which is also rearing its ugly head up here, sadly). The "face coverings = Islamofascism" narrative was deeply engrained even before he became President.
    Last edited by botley; 07-12-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Christ on a bike.
    15,300 new cases in Florida. In one day.

"If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24D0I5

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Christ on a bike.

"If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India."

& the Disney impact hasn't even kicked in yet.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Christ on a bike.

So basically, we're all doomed. Great.
    Already knew that, but, Great.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Acquaintance online is claiming she had it but knocked it out in 4 hours with zinc. I must not respond... I must just walk along and say nothing

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I love it when people do that. 95% of people don't even understand that you have to balance excess zinc intake with copper.
    Go for it honey!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Those of you who wear glasses and are wearing masks. Can you speak to how effective any of these tips and tricks are for defogging?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#5fce23f02e6a

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple Putting a square of folded kitchen towel across the bridge of my nose under the mask helped. I read yesterday using dish detergents to create a hydrophobic film would damage your lenses. A nurse recommended using surgical tape to seal across the top of the mask, haven't tried that yet.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Munn View Post
    @thelastdisciple Putting a square of folded kitchen towel across the bridge of my nose under the mask helped. I read yesterday using dish detergents to create a hydrophobic film would damage your lenses. A nurse recommended using surgical tape to seal across the top of the mask, haven't tried that yet.
    The soapy water doesn’t work. But I’ll try the tissue.

All of my masks bend around the nose; doesn’t prevent fogging for me, at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @allegro I have found the same, I think separate ties top and bottom of the mask may help because you can tie the top tightly and then mould across the bridge. It's a small problem compared to getting the virus but it's really annoying. Before the tissue I have been nearly blinded by fogging, especially at night.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Those of you who wear glasses and are wearing masks. Can you speak to how effective any of these tips and tricks are for defogging?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#5fce23f02e6a
    I found that if my glasses are resting on top of my mask they don't fog up that much...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    In Quebec, wearing a mask while inside public places will be mandatory starting this Saturday. This glasses fogging thing is driving me so bonkers that I'm desperate enough to try taping the mask on top of my nose using double side tape.

Without my glasses everything is blurry and I can't read at all.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so, the White House was conducting opposition research on how to undermine their own infectious disease expert because he refused to kiss the ring and say everything is fine and going great.

That would be a pretty unbelievable thing to actually consider under any other presidency.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    LA county is not reopening schools in the fall. San Diego too.

smart choices

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    In Quebec, wearing a mask while inside public places will be mandatory starting this Saturday. .
    I wish BC would follow suit. Too many people not taking it seriously here anymore. See photos and videos all over Instagram of people partying and hugging it out and no physical distancing at restaurants, packed patios etc.
    Our cases are on the rise again. Maybe 1 in 15 people still wear a mask at the store. I haven't rode transit since March, but when I see the busses go by, maybe 1 or 2 people max are wearing a mask on the whole bus.

It's gonna hit hard in the fall. I'll be doing a big shop for stuff to ensure I don't have to leave the house this winter at all. Shit is really gonna hit the fan in the fall/winter.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I went to Central Park yesterday, and drove around NYC for a bit afterwards. I am SO PROUD of how many people were wearing masks throughout the city and park. It was a rare sight to see someone NOT wearing one! Moreso there than the 15 mins away where I'm from in NJ (and there's even wayyyy less mask wearing in south Jersey) .

As a teacher, I want to say this too, because it's frustrating. I hear a lot of "oh the teachers want the kids back in the classroom"
    I don't. I don't have faith in the local district or state or federal guidance for this to go well.
    Education is important. The economy is important. But health, and life itself, is of the utmost importance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before in the threads, but I apparantly am too stupid to work the search feature on the message board - but with COVID, idiots running the US, UK, and Russia, record high temperatures in the US today, stronger hurricanes and tornados, worsening wild fires, and the US on the verge of civil war, I feel like Trent's Year Zero concept may not be that far off. I especially keep going back to The Warning. At this point, I feel like whomever is the higher being, needs to come down and give humans a warning because we are all idiots collectively, and honestly, I don't think we deserve to live on this planet. We are a virus, and we are killing off our host.

Also, Agent Smith's revelation to Neo in the first Matrix about humans are not a mammal, and instead are a virus, because they keep multiplying and multiplying, using up all the resources and then spreading to another location.

The world is on fire, and collectively the human race doesn't care.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

2020 has changed my "empathy for everyone" setting to "empathy for some, laughter for others".

And I know that's harsh but I can't stand these people and how they see fit to live their lives, always lying and then lying about the lies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echoplex99 View Post
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before in the threads, but I apparantly am too stupid to work the search feature on the message board - but with COVID, idiots running the US, UK, and Russia, record high temperatures in the US today, stronger hurricanes and tornados, worsening wild fires, and the US on the verge of civil war, I feel like Trent's Year Zero concept may not be that far off. I especially keep going back to The Warning. At this point, I feel like whomever is the higher being, needs to come down and give humans a warning because we are all idiots collectively, and honestly, I don't think we deserve to live on this planet. We are a virus, and we are killing off our host.

Also, Agent Smith's revelation to Neo in the first Matrix about humans are not a mammal, and instead are a virus, because they keep multiplying and multiplying, using up all the resources and then spreading to another location.

The world is on fire, and collectively the human race doesn't care.
    It's unfortunate, isn't it? "God Break Down the Door" also harks back at me at least once a week. I sometimes wonder if I'm on the brink nihilism because of the actions of my fellow humans, past and present - which doesn't exclude my own actions that I regret, like for instance, my lack of recycling trash.