Page 55 of 122 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    y'know, it's crazy that the connection didn't click there for me. You're right; how is that even defensible for people in Michigan to be waving confederate flags? They're as far north as it gets.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I even see Confederate flags in New Jersey. In particular, they/shirts with the flags are sold in boardwalk shops in shore towns. It's sickening.
    as seen here, halfway down the page:
    https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-...kie-1795653455

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    A coworker just told me that his daughter will be going to the hospital for testing because what she thought was a stomach flu might be this. he's a little upset at her because she's one of the ones who aren't really taking it seriously and she also live with him so he's doubly pissed.

and he's been coming in to the office all week while she was 'sick' and now he has to go home and self-quarantine for two weeks.

fudge.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    y'know, it's crazy that the connection didn't click there for me. You're right; how is that even defensible for people in Michigan to be waving confederate flags? They're as far north as it gets.
    The Confederate flag has now come to symbolize not only its racist past ties to slavery but also its seditious warning shot to leaders; “if you don’t do what we want, we will secede.” (Or rebel. Or be total clueless assholes, etc.)

Fine, throw them all in prison. Which is what should have happened to the Confederates.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Obviously, this Covid-19 outbreak is awful. Absolutely awful. It's brought death and illness and heartbreak.

But, what it's also brought is absolute turmoil for the MAGA assholes.

* No more Nuremberg rallies.
    * Congress is totally shut down due to quarantines. This means Trump isn't getting any of his agenda (not that he'd get it, anyway). He still isn't getting his Wall. No more Federal judges are being appointed. Trump now wants to try "recess appointments" of Federal judges, except Congress isn't in recess. They're shut down against their will.
    * Senator Ron Johnson of WI says his investigation into Hunter Biden has been "hindered" by the Coronavirus. Aw, boo hoo hoo. Dickhead.
    * The assholes at Judicial Watch are saying their investigations are being "hindered" because zero FOIA requests are being processed due to the Coronavirus. Boo hoo hoo. Go eat shit.
    * Trump's primary "triumph" has always been "but the ECONOMY!"

This has put the MAGAs into full-on panic mode. Trump wakes up every day wondering wtf happened to his bigly success. They've all turned to way more propaganda. Lots and lots of propaganda. Including but not limited to: "If we don't all go back to work tomorrow, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" (Read: “If the economy doesn't look great soon, Trump's gonna lose. Start spreading desperate lies.”)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Cuomo just extended NY's closure to May 15th

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    A coworker just told me that his daughter will be going to the hospital for testing because what she thought was a stomach flu might be this.
    Maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding things here, but I don't think those two are anything alike other than probably fatigue. How do you draw a line from puking and shitting your guts out to respiratory disease?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding things here, but I don't think those two are anything alike other than probably fatigue. How do you draw a line from puking and shitting your guts out to respiratory disease?
    I think a lot of people with Covid-19 actually had nausea and vomiting. Some ONLY show gastro symptoms.

It can also be some of the first symptoms.

(Which is why I still think I might have had it. If there's a test that's finally approved to see if you HAD it, I'm all over that shit.)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I don't know...I feel like his daily press conferences ARE his rallies at this point, just without his people in a crowd. And I'm sure Trump feels that way considering he just brags about the ratings all the time.

A lot of folks will blindly follow Trump. He's already planting the seeds when he says: "We had the greatest economy in the history of the world, and it will be even better when this is all done." The longer it goes on...sure some will get restless. But there will be many still holding on to every word he says, including that.

Maybe I just don't have enough faith in us as a country anymore. Which sucks.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    it's presents differently in people but she's also just doing it to be cautious.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I saw on the news last night some healthy and active 18 or 19 year old was under the invincibility spell when it came to COVID-19 and got real fucked up with both it AND MONO. I can't imagine having a double whammy like that, jeeeeesus.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, that's a kind of tired and achy that I can't even imagine.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Ooof. Thanks to those who have set me straight re: symptoms. I will admit to having read nothing about the virus itself in ~three weeks because all I really need to know at this point is that I don't want it, I don't want the person I live with to get it, and I want it to go the hell away. Any details beyond that serve no purpose (to me) other than induce severe anxiety - the symptoms of which quite nicely line up with things like this. Which then makes me more anxious. Which then...well, you get the idea.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    100% on board with you there. I spent two weeks thinking every little sniffle and cough was it and then I decided to read about how bad it actually was and it was ironically what calmed me down because I wasn't experiencing anything close to what I read.

side note: I feel like the amount of 'celebrities' who say they tested positive and then nothing happens to them is reported way more often than the people who get it and suffer for days. if you just went by that you'd think we were over-reacting to this thing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @allegate - Until you see what Chris Cuomo went through. Omg. I hope that guy writes a book about this.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @allegate - Until you see what Chris Cuomo went through. Omg. I hope that guy writes a book about this.
    Doesnt his wife have it now? That poor dude

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Washington Post: State Department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan lab studying bat coronaviruses

In case you're not one for reading past headlines, let me make a few things clear.

1) not a conspiracy theory
    2) not about the virus being man-made
    3) not suggesting that this IS the origin

That said, the author does a reasonably good job of approaching this from a non-biased, non-alarmist standpoint. The tl;dr version of the story: Wuhan has a lab that was certified in 2015 as the safest level possible for bioresearch. A few years later, however, U.S. officials visiting the facility were concerned that this was not actually being run to those standards, and expressed their concerns accordingly. Article discusses the struggle between "we need to study super dangerous things before they catch us off guard and something like this happens naturally" and "this shit is just too dangerous and we shouldn't be messing with it in labs".

If it did turn out that this is from a lab and not a market, there are definitely some implications. For starters, it would be the worst industrial accident the world has ever seen. It would also further call into question China's transparency about things (think: the whole "the nuclear reactor couldn't have exploded; it's just a small fire" thing with Chernobyl).

Honestly, I hope that this was a total / natural accident stemming from direct contact at a market or something, because if it turns out this is the fault of human error while intentionally handling the virus...oof. That's a depressing thought.

What also worries me about this is that people will look at headlines that are more misleading, skip stories, and immediately turn this into more xenophobia, more hate crimes, and snowball it into some biological warfare bullshit.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Fine, throw them all in prison. Which is what should have happened to the Confederates.
    Trump's got their backs as long as they wear those stupid fucking hats

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the orange idiot is supposed to speak in a few mins with his plan to re-open the country. he's doing it an event where he's praising truck drivers. I really hope there's not a group of people there for a photo op.

edit: he said he's going to announce at 6.
    Last edited by versusreality; 04-16-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    good point.

more looking at the NBA announcements and Idris Elba and some others in-between. the light cases.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the other day: "I have absolute power"
    today: "governors, it's up to you to open things back up"

basically: the blood will not be on my hands, it'll be on the governors hands, and swing states, you better open up your state or there will be lots of angry Republicans

sickening. a death sentence.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-17-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

I saw that a few minutes ago. He’s also tweeting that the states need to test. Yes! We know! Do your job and get us test kits asshole! He’s just a terrible human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Interview with Susan Rice, below. A must read.

https://www.businessinsider.com/form...andemic-2020-4

The national stockpile was fully stocked when the Obama administration left office, contrary to what President Trump has frequently alleged, the stockpile includes a bunch of different things. It includes medicine, it includes PPE, it includes ventilators, but a whole range of supplies that might be useful in the event of a terrorist attack, a bio attack or a naturally occurring pandemic disease.

Each of the states also have their own stockpiles of certain quantities, but you cannot keep in a stockpile anywhere, all the material you might need in a worst case scenario because take masks for example, they degrade over time. Now you need to refresh them and you're always going to need in a worst case scenario, a great deal more volume of these critical materials, along with beds, along with personnel, than any modern healthcare system even our own stocks at any one time. And that's why getting ahead of this was so important and why the lost time was so critical.

Had we jumped on this in early January, we would have worked to get the proper volume and quality of tests available and disseminated widely throughout the country, as Germany did, as South Korea did, and others. We were late and we're still playing catch up on the testing front.

We would have used that time from early January to say, "Okay, we've got materials of a certain volume, but we know we're going to need more. So let's go out and source the masks and the gowns and the gloves and the ventilators." And we have tools that enable us to do that, including the Defense Production Act, which in a crisis enables the president to commandeer production and to distribute it responsibly.

Those tools have not been used and we wasted actually more than two months before we fully cranked into gear to try to do that procurement, that sourcing, by which time you're competing against other countries in the world and the way the administration has done this, rather than have a centralized federal approach to this, all the states are out there on the markets competing against each other and competing against FEMA for the same materials and bidding up the price, all of which has to be paid for by taxpayer dollars.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-17-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    holy shit presidential tweets are you fucking kidding me what the fuck?!?!?!?! "LIBERATE MICHIGAN" ?!?!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Why the fuck are we turning to Dr.Oz and Dr. Phill for advice....on top of that, after what they said, why the fuck should we care about them anymore?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    holy shit presidential tweets are you fucking kidding me what the fuck?!?!?!?! "LIBERATE MICHIGAN" ?!?!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!
    I called that shit. people are dieing, and he wants to divide the country even further. and yet people still applaud him. we really need the Revolutionary era spirit in this country and kick him out somehow. he thinks he's the king anyway. America didn't want to be under the crown. time for us to not be under Trump. this can't go on for another 4 years.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he says at today's press briefing