233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    a sobering look at what the near future can be like, from a Harvard study:
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...harvard-study/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Please read (emphasis mine): “Small mutations would be expected with any virus. The emerged mutation in this report appears to reduce binding to ACE2 meaning less virulence which could potentially mean less ability to infect. But as this is an isolated report this doesn’t necessarily mean vaccine attempts are futile.”

Last edited by Magnetic; 04-15-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Bigger font

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...normal/609940/

Was this posted here already? I'm losing track. If not...this is a really good read.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    here come the congregated protests from MAGA-hats to stay-at-home orders... Derp derp...

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...r-jams-lansing

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    lovely. block the doctors, nurses, paramadeics, and police. fucking assholes.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Meat packing plant miles from my house is the number one hot stop in the country now.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-co...ot-in-america/

At least our mayor is ashamed, unlike our corrupt governor that refused to issue a stay at home order.

https://www.keloland.com/news/health...dnesday-night/

Hopefully they city council does something and imposes a stay at home order.

Maybe now I have some perspective on this? IDK you guys tell me.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Meat packing plant miles from my house is the number one hot stop in the country now.

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-co...ot-in-america/

At least our mayor is ashamed, unlike our corrupt governor that refused to issue a stay at home order.

https://www.keloland.com/news/health...dnesday-night/

Hopefully they city council does something and imposes a stay at home order.

Maybe now I have some perspective on this? IDK you guys tell me.
    Your governor is an astounding sack of shit

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    lovely. block the doctors, nurses, paramadeics, and police. fucking assholes.
    Stupid shit like this may be a good thing in the long run. It will have no affect on the Governor's decisions, but the more rational people (both right & left) in Michigan that hear about this nonsense, the better. This "protest" is tied to MAGA chuds & Trump, so hopefully it will swing more people to NOT vote for him in November. It's not like anyone who buys into their "argument" isn't already hopelessly gonna vote for Trump anyway.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    here come the congregated protests from MAGA-hats to stay-at-home orders... Derp derp...

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...r-jams-lansing
    Michigan is filled with a bunch of yahoos. Seriously, it's become the land of rednecks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Stupid shit like this may be a good thing in the long run. It will have no affect on the Governor's decisions, but the more rational people (both right & left) in Michigan that hear about this nonsense, the better. This "protest" is tied to MAGA chuds & Trump, so hopefully it will swing more people to NOT vote for him in November. It's not like anyone who buys into their "argument" isn't already hopelessly gonna vote for Trump anyway.
    I don't know man. this pandemic is bringing out different sides of people. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are swayed by this. there's certainly some suckers out there. and I'm being polite using that word.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I feel like if they're suckers in the way you're describing it, they were a lost cause to begin with. They're predisposed to Trumps BS anyway.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    What did he just say? The level of the IQ on the phonecall was the greatest? What the fuck was that?

When did this press conference jump the shark and stop being about the virus completely? Was it ever?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Congress is on break but if they don’t stop, he’s going to make them take a break. Makes total sense.

Also I think the numbers aren’t higher because there’s still no fucking tests!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    OK... but everyone, what happened today, where it just turned into a Pro-Trump propaganda show... this cannot go on.
    That was INSANE. What happened today was FUCKING INSANE!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?

I know we're used to it, but it was really disturbing to me.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-15-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @Jinsai , what happened today? I missed it and from your description i don't want to watch any clips at the moment.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    @Jinsai, what happened today? I missed it and from your description i don't want to watch any clips at the moment.
    It's devolved from public health alerts to pure propaganda, awkwardly presented, and just self praise. I know that doesn't sound like anything new, but it felt like it

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    wouldn't be surprised if he praises the folks in Michagean tomorrow.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It still wasn't as bad as Monday. That shit was wild as hell.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    WTF

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ....there are times where I tend to believe into all this conspiracy bullshit seeing how mad and insane some of this stuff is around the world. Then again, maybe it's being handled too carefully or too carelessly here and there, yet in the end we will only know once it's over or if there's a vaccine. I can really picture Trump like in war movies where he's standing over some documents and ranting at people because the numbers are only getting worse... of course nobody would say anything in fear of losing their job. It's maddening.

New restrictions will take place in Germany next week. No gatherings and big events until the end of August. Restaurants and bars closed for the time being with schools slowly opening up again. And of course social distancing and contacts limited to the people you live with or a single other person. That all is until we reach the limit of this certain infection-rate again. In the meantime my job is safe for the summer, after that I get money from the state which is fine for paying rent, groceries and having a drink here and there. No ways to spend it anyway, so that's okay.

Well, the spanish flu lasted for two years... I'm cautiously optimistic that we get out of this a little sooner and hopefully way better.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Jesus Christ....there are times where I tend to believe into all this conspiracy bullshit seeing how mad and insane some of this stuff is around the world. Then again, maybe it's being handled too carefully or too carelessly here and there, yet in the end we will only know once it's over or if there's a vaccine. I can really picture Trump like in war movies where he's standing over some documents and ranting at people because the numbers are only getting worse... of course nobody would say anything in fear of losing their job. It's maddening.

New restrictions will take place in Germany next week. No gatherings and big events until the end of August. Restaurants and bars closed for the time being with schools slowly opening up again. And of course social distancing and contacts limited to the people you live with or a single other person. That all is until we reach the limit of this certain infection-rate again. In the meantime my job is safe for the summer, after that I get money from the state which is fine for paying rent, groceries and having a drink here and there. No ways to spend it anyway, so that's okay.

Well, the spanish flu lasted for two years... I'm cautiously optimistic that we get out of this a little sooner and hopefully way better.
    I was so excited to work in Germany again this year (lined up with my birthday, no less), but that's not going to happen anymore. Probably won't even be made up next year. I'm not optimistic that we beat this any faster than the Spanish Flu, but I am optimistic that we manage it much better and lose fewer people. Between the advances in treatments and the ability to spread pertinent information world-wide with the click of a button, we've got some things on our side that we didn't a century ago.

Meanwhile, the mayors of NYC and Los Angeles both said this week that they don't see big events (sports, concerts, etc) returning this year. https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...il-2021-mayors

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I was just reading an article about Trump wanting to reopen the economy early. NIN's "Ahead of Ourselves" happened to come on as I was reading it. The perfect song for this scenario.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    and here we go, Trump says we've passed the peak of the virus (even as the death toll reaches a daily high), and announces that he's going to spell out how the economy is going to re-open some time today, or some bullshit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...2HjgM?ocid=sf2

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ultimately, it's up to the each state's governor. although Trump believes he has "complete and absolute power" .

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    ultimately, it's up to the each state's governor. although Trump believes he has "complete and absolute power" .
    Never underestimate Trump's uncanny ability to fuck everything up with a tweet. All he does is throw monkey wrenches into the gears.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    oh, I'm not doubting that one bit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    wouldn't be surprised if he praises the folks in Michagean tomorrow.
    I was born and raised in the Detroit area. My best friends and my brother and my family are still there and I talk with them all the time.

I think Gov. Whitmer’s order is too strict. There’s no reason people shouldn’t be able to buy seeds for their vegetable gardens in the back yard or go hang out on their boats (MI is a state with one of the highest number of boats, and you can actually live on many of these boats) or paint their kitchens.

What I DO NOT understand is all the fucking CONFEDERATE FLAGS flying at that Lansing protest.

Michigan was NEVER a Confederate State, it was ALWAYS a Union State, and Michiganders are Yankees whether they like it or not. That Confederate shit is just BULLSHIT. Racist bullshit. Fuck that shit.

All those MAGA assholes need to move their MAGA asses to a Confederate State, before a bunch of Yankees whoop their asses back to the 19th Century.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-16-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    What I DO NOT understand is all the fucking CONFEDERATE FLAGS flying at that Lansing protest.

Michigan was NEVER a Confederate State, it was ALWAYS a Union State, and Michiganders are Yankees whether they like it or not. That Confederate shit is just BULLSHIT. Racist bullshit. Fuck that shit.
    Sounds like you understand it pretty well.