Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2232

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    very interesting discussion about baggers. there haven't been any of those type of jobs around here in years. makes me wonder too after this...what jobs will be eliminated? the sad thing is there are companies right now plotting about this.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The baggers would then have to touch your cloth bag. And the virus can live on cloth for 24-48 hours.

Stores aren’t even processing returns right now. At all.

Goodwill and Salvation Army locations totally closed down and are not accepting donations.

Starbucks isn’t allowing you to use your re-usable cup.

Everything is single-use.
    clearly a difference between countries then. Although staff ask if you want them to help with bagging, people generally do it themselves. I have never had anyone bag my groceries for me. Actually now I come to think of it, no one is offering to do bagging right now, makes sense

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Are you all wearing masks when you go to the store now? I knew my husband was going to the store today so I made him one to wear.

Hereís the tutorial I used:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/ho...bric-face-mask

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Are you all wearing masks when you go to the store now? I knew my husband was going to the store today so I made him one to wear.

Here’s the tutorial I used:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/ho...bric-face-mask
    Your husband is Bucky Barnes aka the Winter Soldier? ��

New empty section at my local store: dry cat food. I did not see that one coming.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    very interesting discussion about baggers. there haven't been any of those type of jobs around here in years. makes me wonder too after this...what jobs will be eliminated? the sad thing is there are companies right now plotting about this.
    My wife has always been very conscientious about going through lanes with cashiers/baggers when self-checks are available, just so those people still have jobs. I’ve been in the service industry most of my life and totally get her rationale but for...reasons maybe not unrelated to over two decades of customer service, I always dash to self-checks because I never want to talk to another human if I can avoid it. Anyways, my point is, I’ll bet that self-checks become a lot more prevalent after this. I only hope my industry lasts the few more years it’ll take my wife to lock down a tenure-track position somewhere.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    We not only have baggers in our area, the baggers ask if you want help taking the stuff TO YOUR CAR. And lots of customers take them up on that. This was sparked by competition that did that. Itís not just about competitive prices around here, itís also about service. The customers tip, too.

Our baggers are still around in the supermarkets, that hasnít changed. They are also the ones outside collecting the carts. Lots of them eventually move up to cashier positions.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    It’s become totally “normal” in the last few weeks in the Chicago area. You look more unusual if you’re NOT wearing a mask.

It kinda reminds me of helmets with skiing and snowboarding. At first, it was like most balked at it. Then I hit my head, and had a slight concussion so I got one and found they’re actually WARMER as well as safer. Then Natasha Richardson died. Then all Vail resort employees were REQUIRED to wear helmets. Now, you look around and people kinda look HORRIFIED at people who aren’t wearing helmets, like OH MY GOD!!

Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    as the numbers are marching up, I'm really starting to feel the need to get some masks. I've got the gloves under control, but I can't find masks anywhere.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I have always wanted to wear a mask all the time but, outside of a few very specific circumstances, it’s oddly one of America’s biggest taboos (I’ve actually researched this; it’s a very weird thing that’s fairly America-specific, evidently). But since mid-March, I’ve been in #apocalypsefashions and not only has no one even given me a second look, I’m not even the weirdest looking motherfucker in the grocery.

EDIT: And one day, I'll find a way to include that picture without it being the size of the entire page. Jesus.
    EDIT #2: There we go.
    142.jpg
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 04-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    as the numbers are marching up, I'm really starting to feel the need to get some masks. I've got the gloves under control, but I can't find masks anywhere.
    I looked for masked on amazon and it was saying late April to May for shipping. I hand sewed two masks in about 2 and a half hours.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    @sweeterthan , I can sew and have a nice sewing machine, but I cannot find any form of elastic to save my life! There’s now a friggin’ elastic shortage! Ugh.

@Jinsai - if you have a bandana or a kerchief, you can fold it lengthwise so that it will fit comfortably over your nose and mouth (fold it, then again to double it) and then locate two hair bands. Fasten each hair band around the bandana about 1/3 way on each side. Put the bandana around your nose and mouth, and tuck each end in back through the hair bands.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @sweeterthan , I can sew and have a nice sewing machine, but I cannot find any form of elastic to save my life! Thereís now a frigginí elastic shortage! Ugh.
    Iím using hosiery for the elastic part. I was surprised that I even have any because I never wear hose but I had some knee high ones in the back of my sock drawer that work great.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    That’s not fair; I know how this works. Hey, retailers: Start demanding your distributor carry paper bags with handles.
    Our Jewel supermarkets (Safeway) paper bags all have handles. Even our cheap Whole Foods paper bags have handles.

If we didn’t have baggers, those people would be out of work. Besides collecting carts or taking groceries to cars, it’s their only job. I think they might be able to take time off, but there is no other job for them. This is it. It’s a union job, too, with upward mobility.

I’m using hosiery for the elastic part. I was surprised that I even have any because I never wear hose but I had some knee high ones in the back of my sock drawer that work great.
    OH MY GOD, THAT’S A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! You can SEW them???

@Jinsai see this: https://abc7chicago.com/how-to-make-...ks-n95/6071155
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    The two times Iíve been to the grocer since the fourteenth, Iíve told my cashier that my reusable bags were laundered just before I headed out and both times the cashier got visibly emotional while saying thanks, which kinda makes me think that most people are rather obviously not doing them this courtesy. Why they havenít put handles on the paper bags theyíre still allowed to stock is beyond me; I know handleless paper can be hard for a lot of people to manage. Though I totally support the decision to ban plastic bags, right now, single use is probably a good thing, and the handleless paper bags are probably not an option for mass transit users, walkers, the infirm, and so forth.

Sorry, all life in the ocean.

Hey, retailers: Put some fucking handles on your paper bags. Pretty please.

EDIT: Thatís not fair; I know how this works. Hey, retailers: Start demanding your distributor carry paper bags with handles.
    Couldn't you just place the items that are in the paper bag or the full paper bag into your own reusable bag with handles?

Also I have yet to try it but I might start using curb side pickup for groceries from now on since many places I've been in NC the people don't really respect the 6 feet rule. As an observation I've noticed that mostly it is, and I hate to use this word, the yuppies that don't give a shit about staying 6 feet apart. The elderly and the young and store employees adhere to the 6 feet rule.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    New empty section at my local store: dry cat food. I did not see that one coming.
    Threeish weeks ago, I bought an extra week of wet and dry cat food because things were already looking a bit grim on that front and I had no idea when I'd be back. When I did get back to resupply like eleven days later, they had more of each, but the aisle still wasn't looking as healthy as usual. In the dog aisle next door, however, all the raw, organic, insane cuts of cat-fed buffalo meat or whatever it is in the queerly fancy cooler unit are still there. Shocker.

Like how in the pasta aisle, when everything first went down and there were literally six boxes of pasta left (limit 1 now, thanks), but no sauce. Or wait—there was one small display of sauce. Because it was heirloom, vine-ripened, sun-dried, hymen-wrapped, infant-kissed sauce and it was $19.99 for sixteen ounces.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    Couldn't you just place the items that are in the paper bag or the full paper bag into your own reusable bag with handles?
    Ha! An elegant solution. Low-tech. I love it.

I've got no problem managing with regular handleless paper but, like I said, I'm sure a lot of people do. I wonder if a simple lift 'n' drop in would be manageable for them?

the yuppies that don't give a shit about staying 6 feet apart. The elderly and the young and store employees adhere to the 6 feet rule.
    And yeah, up here in New York, the people who can't afford the medical bills that are debatably more arduous than death are the people who are really sticking by the recommendations. The moneyed folk don't seem to care as much.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 04-05-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

Our Jewel supermarkets (Safeway) paper bags all have handles. Even our cheap Whole Foods paper bags have handles.

If we didnít have baggers, those people would be out of work. Besides collecting carts or taking groceries to cars, itís their only job. I think they might be able to take time off, but there is no other job for them. This is it. Itís a union job, too, with upward mobility.

OH MY GOD, THATíS A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! You can SEW them???

@Jinsai see this: https://abc7chicago.com/how-to-make-...ks-n95/6071155
    No sew. I cut off an inch and then cut the loop and knot it after I put it through the side of the mask. You can see the knot in the pic of my husband.

He wore it at the store. He went to two places and said it was hot towards the end but kept it on. Iím impressed he did it. I feel like the cdc recommending it is enough for us to do it during this time. Weíre staying home but covering our faces when we are out. Weíre doing all that we can to stop the spread.

Washing the mask today so itís ready for its next use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    @allegro, what about using hair ties for the elastic/ear part? I've seen that done somewhere, I just can't remember where now. The hair ties served as the ear loops.

Edit - Never mind. I read the rest of that post. Lol.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Also I have yet to try it but I might start using curb side pickup for groceries from now on
    I wanted to do that but they're behind by like over a week, ugh.

We DO use it for PetSmart, though. It's great. Highly recommended.

We use it for Binny's Beverage Depot. Not really curbside, but you order on the app then you go inside to their "express pickup desk" by the door and your order is ready (they send you a notice) and it's in a box and you pay, so you don't go "shopping" with people. Then we get home and ditch the box in the garage and I disinfect the bottles.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    @allegro, what about using hair ties for the elastic/ear part? I've seen that done somewhere, I just can't remember where now. The hair ties served as the ear loops.
    I tried using them as ear loops but couldn't get it to work, either my hair ties have to be WAY bigger or my ears have to be WAYYY smaller LOL. So, I modified it to be able to just be able to wrap the back of the bandana through itself and that works great.

Edit: wait, I just saw THIS ONE! Not hair bands, RUBBER bands! Awesome!

@sweeterthan , I analyzed pic, see what you did, GREAT IDEA! BRILLIANT!!! (p.s. your husband is so cute!)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

If we didn’t have baggers, those people would be out of work. Besides collecting carts or taking groceries to cars, it’s their only job. I think they might be able to take time off, but there is no other job for them. This is it. It’s a union job, too, with upward mobility.
    This is Chicago area?

The Whole Foods and Trader Joes in the city where I used to live had handled bags. But Wegmans—the non-trash place in the place I live now (and all over New York)—still has the same paper bags they had in 1988. Or at least the Wegmans in the garbage burg in which I live now does. There are cart-wranglers and people who tote out groceries. A lot of them are developmentally challenged; the rest are "first job" kind of young.

I don't think I've ever been to a store that has a separate bagger who isn't the cashier. In fact, my first frame of reference for that notion is Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption, so I'm assuming that's a hard "no, never have I ever." And I definitely don't think our grocery clerks have been allowed to unionize? A friend worked in Wegmans—whose lobbies are all covered in Forbes "Top 100 Places to Work" covers & awards—for twelve years and was never allowed to even exceed 32.5 hours a week for fear she'd qualify for insurance coverage. I know Tops, a different grocer in the place I used to live, fired anyone who even used the word "union."

It is fucking bizarre how regional grocery practices are. When I lived in Ohio, carts were called "buggies" and the cashier thought I was insane when I just stood staring at the groceries she'd piled behind her. I had no idea that it was common practice there to bag your own.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    This is Chicago area?

The Whole Foods and Trader Joes in the city where I used to live had handled bags. But Wegmans—the non-trash place in the place I live now (and all over New York)—still has the same paper bags they had in 1988. Or at least the ones in the garbage burg in which I live now does. There are cart-wranglers and people who tote out groceries. A lot of them are developmentally challenged; the rest are "first job" kind of young.

I don't think I've ever been to a store that has a separate bagger who isn't the cashier. In fact, my first frame of reference for that notion is Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption, so I'm assuming that's a hard "no, never have I ever." And I definitely don't think our grocery clerks have been allowed to unionize? A friend worked in Wegmans—whose lobbies are all covered in Forbes "Top 100 Places to Work" covers & awards—for twelve years and was never allowed to even exceed 32.5 hours a week for fear she'd qualify for insurance coverage. I know Tops, a different grocer in the place I used to live, fired anyone who even used the word "union."

It is fucking bizarre how regional grocery practices are. When I lived in Ohio, carts were called "buggies" and the cashier thought I was insane when I just stood staring at the groceries she'd piled behind her. I had no idea that it was common practice there to bag your own.
    Yes, Chicago area. We have cashiers AND baggers. And they never trade jobs. It's like they have union job descriptions that prevent them from doing each other's jobs.

Sometimes they are short on baggers and we have to help bag our own groceries while the cashier is scanning stuff. But, that's the extent of it. The big stores here have been union forever. The cashiers wear union pins. The big union (UFCW) stores are Safeway (Jewel) and Kroger (Mariano's). Also, I believe Sunset Foods is part of the UFCW.

Wegmans is usually Teamsters (IBT).
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Yes, Chicago area. We have cashiers AND baggers. And they never trade jobs. It's like they have union job descriptions that prevent them from doing each other's jobs.

Sometimes they are short on baggers and we have to help bag our own groceries while the cashier is scanning stuff. But, that's the extent of it. The big stores here have been union forever. The cashiers wear union pins.
    Do you have Hy-Vee up there?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    The big stores here have been union forever. The cashiers wear union pins.
    Damn. Go, Chicago!

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Do you have Hy-Vee up there?
    Only WAY far away like in Peoria and Peru; closest is in Sycamore, nowhere near Chicago.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Damn. Go, Chicago!
    What's funny is even at the COSTCO, here, the cashiers put your stuff into your cart. There's no BAGS, but they put your stuff into your cart for you.

I guess we don't know how spoiled we are.

BY UNIONS.

Some of the cashiers at my Jewel are wearing pins showing they've been working for Jewel for more than 25 years. We know many of them like family. Even the baggers.

Safeway and Giant employees were damned close to going on strike in some areas.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-05-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I actually prefer to bag my own groceries. I know where everything goes (at home) and organize it accordingly. Sometimes they get annoyed when I say I'll bag it.

It's really inconsistent here. Some stores won't let you bring in reusable bags and some will. Today, I left them in the car because of the constant changing and inconsistency. I put my items back in the cart and bagged it at my car with my reusable bags.

The whole early hours thing for seniors / immuno-compromised is inconsistent, too. Some have hours every day, some only certain days, etc. I like to go early to avoid people and am usually in / out quickly. I can't do that at some places now. It puts me at a higher risk lol (not really funny I guess).

Quick story: Trader Joe's here changed the way they were doing early hours last week. They were only letting in the senior / immuno crowd from 9 to 10 AM (weren't doing it that way the week before). A man who appeared to maybe 70 or so (no physical disabilities that were obvious) had a younger person with him (30s if I had to guess). They let the older gentlemen in. The younger guy tries to follow him in, gets stopped, says I'm with him, and they say go ahead. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of special hours? When 10 rolls around and I'm finally able to get in, I felt like saying...so, if I come with my dad next week, you'll let me in early? But, I figured it was better to keep my mouth shut. Oh, and I saw those guys leaving the parking lot while I was still waiting, and the old guy was driving the 30 something guy around.
    Last edited by zaps30; 04-05-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    I actually prefer to bag my own groceries...Sometimes they get annoyed when I say I'll bag it.
    As a person who's been in food service, I can tell you that I always want to punch people when they try to pack their own food. I have a job. I do it well. Let me do my fucking job.

Which doesn't quite make sense, sure. Except it does. And, fine, yes, also doesn't.

And also, on that note, the bar I worked at before this went down was a very green-type place and people sometimes brought their own takeout containers. I'm pretty sure it's a health code thing that we cannot bring your takeout container into our service space, but I'd be lying if I said some of the other employees didn't do it for persnickity people who were eco-conscious but looking to be thoroughly doted upon (and punitive where tips are concerned if said doting didn't occur). The last week we were open, I think I actually jumped back when a coughing woman dropped her reusable Tupperware over the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    Quick story: Trader Joe's here changed the way they were doing early hours last week. They were only letting in the senior / immuno crowd from 8 to 9 AM (weren't doing it that way the week before). A man who appeared to maybe 70 or so (no physical disabilities that were obvious) had a younger person with him (30s if I had to guess). They let the older gentlemen in. The younger guy tries to follow him in, gets stopped, says I'm with him, and they say go ahead. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of special hours? When 9 rolls around and I'm finally able to get in, I felt like saying...so, if I come with my dad next week, you'll let me in early? But, I figured it was better to keep my mouth shut. Oh, and I saw those guys leaving the parking lot while I was still waiting, and the old guy was driving the 30 something guy around.
    The Target here has these special hours, but doesn't stop anyone. There's a big A-frame sign and it's honor system. If you're not a senior and you're headed in, they won't ask you what your immunocondition is, but it's presumed you have a good reason to be there at that time. So, yeah, these things aren't foolproof. Anyone with gumption could walk in, and seniors can bring necessary assistance. But I think the idea is that maybe there will be fewer potential vectors milling about for these at-risk shoppers. Sure, maybe the assistant is asymptomatic and sick, but that's just one person (or potentially one assistant for every senior), as opposed to a whole store of whoever. Not foolproof. Not perfect. But at least slightly better odds.

Like my whole church & state argument before, a whole lot of this situation going well is dependent on people choosing to do the smart and/or ethical thing even if it's not mandated. The fewer at-risk people that get infected, the sooner the hospitals will clear out, the sooner we can all get back to our lives and the fewer casualties there'll be.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 04-05-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Apologies if Iíve missed someone posting this already, but people on Etsy are selling masks: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=face%20mask%20

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This morning Whole Foods had a security person at the elevator/entrance to ensure that only seniors were getting in during the first hour. I'm not wild about Whole Foods especially since Jeff (Damian) Bezos bought them but they have the best fresh squeezed orange juice around. I can't drink due to interactions with some meds I have to take so I drink good oj instead.