Page 38 of 122 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Okay my period is about to start so maybe it's that, but this just really got to me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ the empire state building is actually quite scary

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    ^ the empire state building is actually quite scary
    It’s fucking terrifying. I’ve been in that building many times and I didn’t even know it could DO THAT.

This is absolutely 1000x worse that 9/11 and that’s terrifying.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It’s fucking terrifying. I’ve been in that building many times and I didn’t even know it could DO THAT.

This is absolutely 1000x worse that 9/11 and that’s terrifying.
    9/11 never worried me. Some fanatical, religious terrorists in a cave are coming for my freedoms cuz they hate 'murrica? Whatever

This scares the shit out of me, especially with the way it can kill seemingly healthy people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    9/11 never worried me. Some fanatical, religious terrorists in a cave are coming for my freedoms cuz they hate 'murrica? Whatever
    Man, fuck off with that attitude. I was talking about the Empire State Building doing this anxiety-causing siren signal. People are asking them to turn it off and switch to the Valentine’s Day “heartbeat.” People are worried this may cause people to commit suicide. This is like a fucking AIR RAID siren. It made me cry, but it also made me want to curl up in a ball in bed forever.

Nearly 3,000 people died on 9/11. 6,000 were injured. And then thousands of first responders got cancer from the WTC site. You could smell burning bodies in Manhattan for a month after 9/11. There were missing persons posters for months. Please, just ... no.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A herd of goats got brave in a small town in Wales because of the lockdown. I’m sure the seagulls will take over where I live on the coast

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Man, fuck off with that attitude. I was talking about the Empire State Building doing this anxiety-causing siren signal. People are asking them to turn it off and switch to the Valentine’s Day “heartbeat.” People are worried this may cause people to commit suicide. This is like a fucking AIR RAID siren. It made me cry, but it also made me want to curl up in a ball in bed forever.

Nearly 3,000 people died on 9/11. 6,000 were injured. And then thousands of first responders got cancer from the WTC site. You could smell burning bodies in Manhattan for a month after 9/11. There were missing persons posters for months. Please, just ... no.
    i generally ignore you on here b/c you come off a bit all over the place, despite us agreeing on 3/4 of stuff. I tried PMing you but you have it turned off (I'm sure I can guess why). But I hope I speak for some others here when I say this: please calm down a bit. You come off as straight up manic alot of times. It's not good for you & it especially isn't helping any of us, part. during this time. This thread in part. doesn't need it right now. Thanks.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i generally ignore you on here b/c you come off a bit all over the place, despite us agreeing on 3/4 of stuff. I tried PMing you but you have it turned off (I'm sure I can guess why). But I hope I speak for some others here when I say this: please calm down a bit. You come off as straight up manic alot of times. It's not good for you & it especially isn't helping any of us, part. during this time. This thread in part. doesn't need it right now. Thanks.
    I generally ignore you. [Insert ad hominem, here] I rarely, if ever, agree with you.

He comes in here and makes that totally ridiculous and insensitive comment,
    and I call him out, and you ignore him ... and go after me. As usual. I can guess why.

Go fuck yourself.

Edit:

Last edited by allegro; 03-31-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    bobie, I too am from Bayonne so you can say we're local to NYC. but allegro's right on 9/11 being the most horrifying experience for NYC. it was a very traumatizing experience and still has a lasting effect on people. I learned when I moved to California a few years ago (I'm back in NJ now) that the effect obviously isn't the same on people who didn't live close to it, knew people who died in it. hell, the first plane literally flew over my dad's car on the turnpike on his way to work. took him almost a decade to fly on a plane again.

with that said, this too is traumatizing and when all is said and done, will be just as impactful and long lasting as 9/11 was. we may even lose more lives. thing is...9/11 was an attack out of nowhere (yes, we can agree that the US knew about it prior but didn't act). there are a LOT of irresponsible people (still) that can prevent the spread. instead, yesterday you had about 100 people gathering to look at the arrival of the ship.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Should have done this weeks ago but better late than never?

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering altering the official guidance to encourage people to take measures to cover their faces amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to a federal official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because it is an ongoing matter of internal discussion and nothing has been finalized...

The official said the new guidance would make clear that the general public should not use medical masks — including surgical and N95 masks — that are in desperately short supply and needed by health-care workers. Instead, the recommendation under consideration calls for using do-it-yourself cloth coverings, according to a second official who shared that thinking on a personal Facebook account...

Such DIY cloth masks would potentially lower the risk that the wearer, if infected, would transmit the virus to other people...

Thomas Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, said in an interview the CDC should urge people to use nonmedical masks or face coverings. “I think it would be a prudent step we can all take to reduce transmission” by people who are infected but have no symptoms, he said.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    A herd of goats got brave in a small town in Wales because of the lockdown. I’m sure the seagulls will take over where I live on the coast
    Reminds me of this video i saw of hundreds of monkeys after food in Thailand, there's no tourists feeding them because of the COVID-19 restrictions so they are desperate.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I bought a reusable mask months ago upon learning of a chemical plant by my neighborhood. I’m going to start wearing it to the store I guess. I’ve seen plenty of people wearing them already. I was hoping to avoid it but why risk it if I have one already?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Should have done this weeks ago but better late than never?

CDC considering recommending general public wear face coverings in public

Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering altering the official guidance to encourage people to take measures to cover their faces amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to a federal official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because it is an ongoing matter of internal discussion and nothing has been finalized...

The official said the new guidance would make clear that the general public should not use medical masks — including surgical and N95 masks — that are in desperately short supply and needed by health-care workers. Instead, the recommendation under consideration calls for using do-it-yourself cloth coverings, according to a second official who shared that thinking on a personal Facebook account...

Such DIY cloth masks would potentially lower the risk that the wearer, if infected, would transmit the virus to other people...

Thomas Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, said in an interview the CDC should urge people to use nonmedical masks or face coverings. “I think it would be a prudent step we can all take to reduce transmission” by people who are infected but have no symptoms, he said.
    The big problem is that if the CDC had said this earlier, the mask shortage for people who truly need them would have been made even worse. Doesn't matter that they specify non-medical in the text of this. Headlines all over the internet, TV, and radio would say "CDC recommends masks" and the panic buying would be even worse, creating even more damaging shortages in hospitals and probably killing more people on the front lines as a result. Because people are stupid and horrible. I understand why they hesitated on this, of all things.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The big problem is that if the CDC had said this earlier, the mask shortage for people who truly need them would have been made even worse. Doesn't matter that they specify non-medical in the text of this. Headlines all over the internet, TV, and radio would say "CDC recommends masks" and the panic buying would be even worse, creating even more damaging shortages in hospitals and probably killing more people on the front lines as a result. Because people are stupid and horrible. I understand why they hesitated on this, of all things.
    Read the details of all this.

The masks that medical professionals require are N95 masks. These are the white masks that are not re-usable and are not cotton and they also sell them at Home Depot for tradespeople for painting and carpentry and stuff. They’re called N95 because they filter out 95% of material, including small particles.

The reusable masks and surgical masks and disposable masks are all NOT these masks; these masks only filter out large particles like dust, etc. for inhaling but have been found to NOT be useful in protection against inhaling Covid-19 aerosols.

What the CDC is finally saying is that disposable and reusable / washable cotton masks can provide protection by helping to prevent aerosols from spreading FROM people (vs. worrying about protecting people from inhaling). Which the public has suspected all along. Go to the supermarket and you’ll see many people wearing them. And it’s one reason S. Korea has kept this from spreading.

It’s really easy to mass-produce surgical masks. It’s NOT easy to mass-produce N95 masks (they are made from a special patented material). Had the CDC specified that cotton masks could help to prevent the spread, everyone would have them. They’d make the damned things. Instead, the CDC pushed a narrative that specified that ONLY the N95 masks worked. Which caused a shortage. The CDC also said that only coughing and sneezing people spread the virus. The CDC has fucked this up on multiple levels.

N95 mask (for medical professionals only, not reusable, one day use only):

Disposable surgical mask (protects exhale, not inhale):

Homemade DIY cloth mask (protects exhale, not inhale):
    Last edited by allegro; 03-31-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    No, read the details of all this.

The masks that medical professionals require are N95 masks. These are the white masks that are not re-usable and are not cotton and they also sell them at Home Depot for tradespeople for painting and carpentry and stuff. They’re called N95 because they filter out 95% of material, including small particles.

The reusable masks and surgical masks and disposable masks are all NOT these masks; these masks only filter out large particles like dust, etc. and they can help against colds etc. but have been found to not be useful in protection against inhaling Covid-19 aerosols.

What the CDC is saying is that reusable / washable cotton masks can provide protection by helping to prevent aerosols from spreading FROM people (vs. worrying about protecting people from inhaling).
    Right. And my point is that the average joe idiot sees a headline that says "CDC" and "masks" in the title and they're suddenly hoarding ANY mask they can find, including those that are needed much more by medical professionals than by most people who are just trying to pick up their groceries. Where can you buy N95 masks right now? Nowhere. And that would have happened even sooner, further depleting supplies for people who really need them, if morons had gone out and stockpiled things that they don't need to stockpile.

edit: if you think people aren't that stupid, I refer you to toilet paper.
    Last edited by theimage13; 03-31-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    They were ALREADY buying this stuff in advance.

The point was that people started making cotton masks. Seamstresses started making cotton masks for nurses at hospitals.

But the CDC was bitching that they aren’t the “right masks.” Except the alternative is NO masks.

And the public is still wearing their DIY masks because they aren’t trusting the CDC, anymore.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-31-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This made me laugh

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I have been wearing a mask (not N95) & gloves when I go out since this all started in Seattle on doctor's orders. I didn't go out & buy any as I have to keep a supply around because I have to do chemo. I was getting a little low on masks & @Magnetic (thank you again!) kindly sent me some. Hopefully I have enough to get by. I haven't been leaving the house much anyway. Although I'm clear of the virus, still have some serious medical issues going on. At least since getting the all clear I've been able to start working on the issues. Got a bunch of blood drawn & my doctor has it. Now to figure out what direction to go for treatment of the other maladies. Although the masks aren't a cure all they certainly can't hurt especially for people who are at risk.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think the CDC was worried that masks and gloves would provide people with a false sense of security and they’d go outside instead of staying indoors.

Except they’re going out, anyway.

And what would really protect Chuck when he goes out isn’t Chuck wearing a mask but if EVERYONE ELSE wears a mask to protect Chuck. Even if that “mask” is just a bandana or a neck gator or a scarf.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I plan to wear a plain, non-N95 mask if I ever need to leave the house. It's time to start normalizing this like they do in China. I have friends without masks who are wearing bandanas over their nose/ mouth. I think it's better than nothing.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’ve been tying/wrapping a winter scarf around my nose and mouth whenever I have to go to the grocery store and have been going on week days and early so there’s less people.

Dont know how much a scarf helps but they’re thick when you wrap it around twice. Then when I get home I wipe down all the items I buy and toss all my clothes I am wearing including the scarf in the washer and then wash my hands.
    Last edited by Swykk; 03-31-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    ...another good reason for ANY mask/goggles > none is that it will prevent you from touching your face in the areas near your nose and mouth and eyes. That alone is a major way this is transmitted. I've had to walk around constantly reminding myself not to touch my goddamn face. It's maddening at times.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Holy shit, a friend of mine got the test for Covid and claims that it wasn't covered by her insurance and is going to cost her over 800 dollars. This can't be right, right?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    with the healthcare system in America, I'm not surprised it's that much. awful.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Holy shit, a friend of mine got the test for Covid and claims that it wasn't covered by her insurance and is going to cost her over 800 dollars. This can't be right, right?
    https://time.com/5806724/coronavirus-testing-costs/

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    PBS is airing an episode of The American Experience about the 1918 influenza pandemic, aka the Spanish Flu tonight.

I know covid-19 is really, really bad. But if you can catch that episode, it will give you a different perspective, mainly about how much worst this could be, Keep in mind that at least 17 million people worldwide (some estimates say up to 100 million) died of it. And this was at a time when people were not able to travel around the world as easily as we do today.

And the Spanish Flu strain was H1N1, the same basic strain as the 2009 flu pandemic; which explain why all the "freaking out" about it but also how a vaccine was quickly available. Covid-19 is completely new.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Okay my period is about to start so maybe it's that, but this just really got to me.

Just read this on a CBS Facebook post

"The Empire State Building lights were red on Monday to represent the “heartbeat” of America. And the mast flashed like a red and white siren to pay tribute to emergency workers. Officials say the lights will go on like this every night during the coronavirus pandemic."

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    horrible idea, empire state building