Page 36 of 122 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I’m immunocompromised so having to go into work this past week for three days in a room with eight other people and despite lots of company rhetoric about safety and precautions wasn’t fun. I was one of two people that really practice the CDC suggestions. Lunch was provided all three days from a greasy sandwich place I don’t like but I wouldn’t have eaten it anyway because people were reaching into the bag without a care, grabbing appetizers and sandwiches. Where was that bag? How many people touched it? You can’t really disinfect the paper bags everything came in nor the big paper bag it all was in. I was always afraid to have a question because on at least four occasions, someone came right up next to me to see what I was stuck on.

That ended Thursday and now I’m working from home again but my anxiety is at a critical level and probably will be for the next 6 days; hoping I don’t get the virus because that’ll be a rap if I do.
    Hang in there. I'm immune compromised too. Fortunately it turns out I pulled the plug on working last summer. I never ate at work in a group setting especially potluck type stuff. Take care.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Trump not working with governors is dangerous. If he can’t do his job, he should be removed. We are talking about people’s lives and he’s still being divisive and acting like everyone should praise the king. It’s so sick.
    Now would be a great time for the 25th.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Everyone with the balls to put that to work are long gone...

(assuming they were there to begin with, which is debatable)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    just got an emergency declaration that LA area is closing beaches. Well, that was something we should have done over a week ago...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    getting one step closer to Marshall Law where I live.
    https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...us-crisis.html

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Seriously. I doubt it will happen, but fucking christ having Pence hold the office rather than Trump right now sounds like a fucking really good thing. How fucking bad are you at your job when a homophobic, racist, evangelical shit-head like Mike Pence would be a much better replacement?

I mean, FUCK. Even if Pence doesn't give a shit deep down, he at least is PRETENDING to be calm, rational, responsible, and empathetic towards the entire country.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Seriously. I doubt it will happen, but fucking christ having Pence hold the office rather than Trump right now sounds like a fucking really good thing. How fucking bad are you at your job when a homophobic, racist, evangelical shit-head like Mike Pence would be a much better replacement?

I mean, FUCK. Even if Pence doesn't give a shit deep down, he at least is PRETENDING to be calm, rational, responsible, and empathetic towards the entire country.
    Preface: I am absolutely not a Mike Pence fan! That being said, from all indications it looks like he is grasping the seriousness of the situation. Maybe he learned something from the AIDS crisis in Indiana. Trump refuses to talk to Gov Inslee of Washington (my state) because Inslee speaks his mind & is not kowtowing to Trump. Pretty bad since Washington is 1 of the epicenters of the virus. Pence is very much in contact with Inslee & seems to be trying to be a conduit for everyone no matter what their affiliation is. He's not letting any ego get in the way. I suppose he is used to that having to stand behind the blowhard of the universe. I applaud his efforts to work for the good of the whole country. Eesh...did I just type this? BTW: I think Inslee would do much better now on a presidential run. His message of that the climate crisis has to be the top priority is spot on. I think that most likely deep down the climate change has something to do with the pandemic. Inslee has shown great leadership for the state in a time of crisis.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    getting one step closer to Marshall Law where I live.
    https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...us-crisis.html
    Is this some new thing I’m just too out of touch to know about, or do you mean martial law?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    115,000 cases in the U.S now? good lord!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Is this some new thing I’m just too out of touch to know about, or do you mean martial law?

haha, oops. Tekken freudian slip.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Almost 125,000 cases in USA now. If the rate of increase does not subside, there may be a million cases worldwide by Tuesday. This is real. Please be safe! Even if you do not feel sick, please do social distancing. Infected persons who do not feel sick spread this disease. Nearly half of SARS-CoV-2 transmissions occur before the infected person shows symptoms.(1)

The experts do not recommend that asymptomatic persons wear a mask in public, but this seems to be (in my opinion) a knee jerk reaction to the critical limited supply of medical grade masks. Which makes sense as the panic stricken public has over utilized the limited supply of medical masks. But they do however recommend that you cough/sneeze into your elbow? Would it not be a smidgen safer to cough/sneeze into a nuisance dust mask? Or cough/sneeze into a disposable paper product which you then dispose of? If expelling your germs into an elbow is better than letting it fly, it seems that anything which limits the spread of germs is better than nothing. Duh.

(1)
    Would everyone wearing face masks help us slow the pandemic?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Here's some good news. 99 yr old man here in Vancouver made a full recovery. Awesome. Good for him!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...I6h35Bzq7PcEv0

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Almost 125,000 cases in USA now. If the rate of increase does not subside, there may be a million cases worldwide by Tuesday. This is real. Please be safe! Even if you do not feel sick, please do social distancing. Infected persons who do not feel sick spread this disease. Nearly half of SARS-CoV-2 transmissions occur before the infected person shows symptoms.(1)

The experts do not recommend that asymptomatic persons wear a mask in public, but this seems to be (in my opinion) a knee jerk reaction to the critical limited supply of medical grade masks. Which makes sense as the panic stricken public has over utilized the limited supply of medical masks. But they do however recommend that you cough/sneeze into your elbow? Would it not be a smidgen safer to cough/sneeze into a nuisance dust mask? Or cough/sneeze into a disposable paper product which you then dispose of? If expelling your germs into an elbow is better than letting it fly, it seems that anything which limits the spread of germs is better than nothing. Duh.

(1)
    Would everyone wearing face masks help us slow the pandemic?
    Yeah, you can't wear what you don't have. It's pretty much that simple.

Just how far is everyone taking this right now? Better half doesn't want to any groceries coming in the house without first being unloaded in the garage and wiped down with Lysol wipes (or left to sit for a few days), since the virus can live on various hard surfaces for 24-72 hours. Overboard, or necessary precaution?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Yeah, you can't wear what you don't have. It's pretty much that simple.

Just how far is everyone taking this right now? Better half doesn't want to any groceries coming in the house without first being unloaded in the garage and wiped down with Lysol wipes (or left to sit for a few days), since the virus can live on various hard surfaces for 24-72 hours. Overboard, or necessary precaution?
    We unload outside and bring things in and leave bags in trash outside. We just wipe it down with a Clorox paper towel. We don’t know if the disinfectants kill the virus if it’s on there. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    We unload outside and bring things in and leave bags in trash outside. We just wipe it down with a Clorox paper towel. We don’t know if the disinfectants kill the virus if it’s on there. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
    Funny that you mention bags. Our state just banned plastic grocery bags, so now everyone has to supply their own reusable ones (or buy them at the store) unless they want to go with the really shitty handle-less paper bags that the store sells for a nickel each. I actually found myself thinking "as much as I hate plastic bags, it would be kind of nice to have one less thing that has to be brought between home and store by everyone who goes shopping".

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We now unload on a beach towel on the floor in the foyer because garage isn’t an option (detached) and we now wipe all the products off with wipes, too. I used to unload on the countertops and then just disinfect the counters, it isn’t like the virus is a swarm of flying saucers. I still disinfect the counters way too much, now. I hope I don’t run out of Lysol.

I have several gator neck covers (like, for skiing) and I was using those as “masks” but they are kinda hot and fog up my glasses. Now I have some pretty fashion scarves from Amazon and I can multi-layer them over my nose and mouth and I don’t look like a skier or a bank robber when I go to the supermarket.

We still have plastic grocery bags in Illinois and we keep them to use to clean kitty litter boxes. And we always wash our hands really good after that, anyway, because toxoplasmosis.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-29-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    We now unload on a beach towel on the floor in the foyer because garage isn’t an option (detached) and we now wipe all the products off with wipes, too. I used to unload on the countertops and then just disinfect the counters, it isn’t like the virus is a swarm of flying saucers. I still disinfect the counters way too much, now.

I have several gator neck covers (like, for skiing) and I was using those as “masks” but they are kinda hot and fog up my glasses. Now I have some pretty fashion scarves from Amazon and I can multi-layer them over my nose and mouth and I don’t look like a skier or a bank robber when I go to the supermarket.
    Please be careful with what you get from amazon as their workers have tested positive for the virus. Leave any of those products outside for a couple of days.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Please be careful with what you get from amazon as their workers have tested positive for the virus. Leave any of those products outside for a couple of days.
    We spray with Lysol and wash our hands and launder things in warm water with soap. It’s been raining like a friggin monsoon here for two days, leaving outside isn’t an option.

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/packag...nsmission-low/

We’re spraying the bottoms of our shoes with Lysol, now.

Our local supermarket installed tall protective plexiglass walls aside the cashiers that are bolted to the counters. But, the walls seem rather useless as the cashiers stand somewhat offset to these walls. And the baggers are totally exposed.

There are employees in the middle of aisles stocking and you have to try to squeeze past them and their giant cart, which violates proximity rules.

There are tape markers on the floor to tell customers where to stand, but some didn’t get the memo. They still want to put their stuff on the cart right behind your stuff and stand right behind you. I suspect we are very close to having to order groceries online or by phone with curbside pickup. Ditto for all other stores.

If I cough in the parking lot right now, people’s necks snap to look at me like a scene from “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.” IT’S ALLERGIES, PEOPLE!!!

One of my closest friends is an ICU RN in SC. Ugh.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-29-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    The state of FL has a stay at home order for 65+ people. It comes from the state attorney general, so I think it's only advisory.
    So at least I can convince my mom that she doesn't need to go to the store. I would prefer we stay locked down and order groceries, which we can disinfect somewhat. Last thing I want to do is go to a place where people aren't respecting the 6 ft rule.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Funny that you mention bags. Our state just banned plastic grocery bags, so now everyone has to supply their own reusable ones (or buy them at the store) unless they want to go with the really shitty handle-less paper bags that the store sells for a nickel each. I actually found myself thinking "as much as I hate plastic bags, it would be kind of nice to have one less thing that has to be brought between home and store by everyone who goes shopping".
    Sounds like you live in Seattle with the bag thing. We've had that for awhile. I know other cities are starting to do it now. Although the sentiment is good the way it is handled is ridiculous. I did have a small laugh when I saw the sign that said the store was not going to allow reusable bags. So, you're forced to use the crappy paper bags. Whole Food is the worst. Their bags tend to self destruct so you have to use 2. I live on the border of the city limits & if I go outside the line, they still use plastic. I reuse all, paper or plastic.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Here's some good news. 99 yr old man here in Vancouver made a full recovery. Awesome. Good for him!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...I6h35Bzq7PcEv0
    Now that’s one hell of an immune system!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    We need to study HIS recovery and find out his background, health history, blood type, immune system, all that stuff. stories like his are how we can save lives!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Our local supermarket installed tall protective plexiglass walls aside the cashiers that are bolted to the counters. But, the walls seem rather useless as the cashiers stand somewhat offset to these walls. And the baggers are totally exposed.

There are employees in the middle of aisles stocking and you have to try to squeeze past them and their giant cart, which violates proximity rules.

There are tape markers on the floor to tell customers where to stand, but some didn’t get the memo. They still want to put their stuff on the cart right behind your stuff and stand right behind you. I suspect we are very close to having to order groceries online or by phone with curbside pickup. Ditto for all other stores.
    Who could have predicted that being a grocery store cashier or bagger would turn into a high risk occupation? They are exposed to countless people all day long.

Our stores also have those clear plastic barriers. And my usual grocery store has begun opening up more checkout lanes. Instead of the typical 1 or 2 open lanes they have 5 or 6, so there are no lines. Which is sort of nice right now.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    My Dad's none too pleased about this, he's lost work due to not being able to drive kids to school and because they've put this stipulation in he won't get the $2,000 benefit all because he gets PEANUTS for a pension.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I'm about to leave my apartment for the first time since March 13. Have to go to Target which either requires a bus ride or two stops on the train. Not sure which would be better! They've reduced service and some of the trains are still PACKED. But the stop I'm going to is at the end of the line, so hoping it won't be packed. Maybe take a car instead? Who knew going to the store would be such a stressful situation.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I'm about to leave my apartment for the first time since March 13. Have to go to Target which either requires a bus ride or two stops on the train. Not sure which would be better! They've reduced service and some of the trains are still PACKED. But the stop I'm going to is at the end of the line, so hoping it won't be packed. Maybe take a car instead? Who knew going to the store would be such a stressful situation.
    Car car car

An aside ...

Have you read this Molly Jong-Fast article?

https://www.vogue.com/article/why-i-...aving-new-york

Sometimes at night when I lie in my bed haunted by the silence of the city streets I am convinced that I am a violinist on the Titanic, playing away to keep myself from being afraid.

I think we all feel a bit like that right now.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-29-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Our stores also have those clear plastic barriers. And my usual grocery store has begun opening up more checkout lanes. Instead of the typical 1 or 2 open lanes they have 5 or 6, so there are no lines. Which is sort of nice right now.
    Yeah I LOOOOVE self-check right now. My husband hates them but I’m talking him into using them. EVERY time. There’s like 6-8 at our supermarket and Target.

There’s way more distance and less contact with self-check.

I wear rubber gloves and then sanitize my debit card. That pin pad is ... omg.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I live a little less than a mile away from a hospital in Brooklyn, and one of the most unnerving things is that the sirens have basically not stopped since I've been home - I just assumed it was like this everywhere in NYC.

Reportedly 20% of NYC EMS workers are out right now, and:

Marshall said even those ambulance workers who had tested positive for the coronavirus were being asked to work unless they show symptoms.

At times in recent days, up to 400 calls at a time deemed less serious had simply been left on hold, Variale said.
    NYC purchased 45 refrigerated semis to hold bodies because the morgues are at or near capacity.

I could go for some silence.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I live a little less than a mile away from a hospital in Brooklyn, and one of the most unnerving things is that the sirens have basically not stopped since I've been home - I just assumed it was like this everywhere in NYC.

I could go for some silence.
    Oh my god. Horrible.