Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    On a slightly lighter note i've had flu a couple of times in recent months (it knocked me out for most of christmas) so my office have joked a couple of times maybe i'm a carrier. I just coughed and the look of terror someone just gave me made me laugh a bit (don't worry i reassured them i'm fine and we're OK)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, what about Japanese, are they infected?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    On a slightly lighter note i've had flu a couple of times in recent months (it knocked me out for most of christmas) so my office have joked a couple of times maybe i'm a carrier. I just coughed and the look of terror someone just gave me made me laugh a bit (don't worry i reassured them i'm fine and we're OK)
    i had to stop working last summer because of RA but before then i would have to occasionally wear a SARS mask because of immune system issues. people would freak out! the best part is it got me out of attending a lot of useless meetings in small rooms & attend via phone instead. that meant i could actually work rather than throw away time on business school corporate bullshit.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    These are the actual events that Trent foresaw in 2016.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=coro...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry, that link isn't meant to be a "google it you fuckwit" kind of link, so I hope it's not taken as such. There's just a lot of different layers of answers (beyond the base line "yes, there are confirmed cases in Japan").

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...
    I definitely think there's a degree of stigma, but depending on the full circumstances, it may actually just be an extreme abundance of caution. Say you're on the west coast: it's not uncommon for Chinese Americans to spend time (going out to eat, for example) in places that are run by other Chinese Americans, and thus likely popular spots for Chinese tourists to visit. Part of the problem of the Coronavirus is that it's highly contagious. Now, throw in the fact that you're inviting these guests over to a party for a very small child with an extremely weak immune system, and couple that with general parental paranoia about anything bad happening to your darling child, and I can see how this becomes a thing that happens.

On the other hand, one of the people on my weekly trivia team is Chinese American, and I'm not about to stop going just because of his heritage. But so help me if ANYONE on that team has so much as a cold, then screw it, I'll see you next week instead.

Also, I get to work insanely long, stress-filled hours and bounce through six major airports over the next two weeks. Fuck. I was hoping to get a little further out of cold & flu season before I had to start going to those places again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yeah, that's the end of me. Nice knowing ya'll.

There was also another case floating around. Woman from Wuhan living in Burnaby caught it. Went to 3 hospitals and they all said she didn't have it. Spoke to a Dr in China who asked her to come back to China for a diagnosis and she went back and was confirmed he had it. What does that say about our health care system?

I bet there are tons of cases here, but they are downplaying it to prevent panic.

Here's the article about the woman who was misdiagnosed here.

https://translate.google.ca/translat...WmL4yP3ZVrO_sE

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1ZR2VG

Death toll in China over 130, confirmed cases jumped from 1,459 to 5,974

First case confirmed in the middle east.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1ZS0F5
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 01-29-2020 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't think anyone old enough to drink beer is dumb enough to think that this virus all over the news if FROM a beer, especially since the headlines haven't said anything at all about beer.
    You just needed to wait a few days: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    /\/\/\ yup. don't underestimate how ignorant people can be.

I was just at my Dr's office and we chatted a bit about the virus. She noted that when SARS struck it spread quickly around cities whereas Corona is not spreading as quickly. Is this due to its long incubation period compared to SARS? Maybe. I also asked about the idea that China is downplaying their numbers. This is entirely possible but the numbers coming of countries whose governments conduct themselves with transparency are in line with China. her opinion was that if this blows up then it will likely happen in the next week or two.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    makes me wonder if this continues and spreads over the next few months if they'll call off the summer Olympics

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    /\/\/\ yup. don't underestimate how ignorant people can be.

I was just at my Dr's office and we chatted a bit about the virus. She noted that when SARS struck it spread quickly around cities whereas Corona is not spreading as quickly. Is this due to its long incubation period compared to SARS? Maybe. I also asked about the idea that China is downplaying their numbers. This is entirely possible but the numbers coming of countries whose governments conduct themselves with transparency are in line with China. her opinion was that if this blows up then it will likely happen in the next week or two.
    There are definitely more confirmed cases than Governments are leading on.
    This is totally being downplayed the the media.

Honestly, I think it's worse than SARS. I mean, the numbers speak for themselves. SARS only had a global infected rate of a little over 8000 and that was over the course of a year and a half before it was eradicated.
    As of the time of writing this, if numbers are to be believed for face value (which they aren't lol), we are already at 7783 "confirmed" cases and that's only a month and a half into this things life span. Already almost as many cases as SARS had. This is way worse than SARS. Not sure why it's being downplayed. Our local Government here says "Yes, we have a few confirmed cases. But don't worry everyone, this isn't very bad. We have it under control"

Suuuure.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 01-30-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    With regards to SARS what's the mortality rate compared? Is this a more deadly virus, or is it just a more common virus with lower mortality?

(any death of anything is bad, just trying to gauge how deadly this thing is)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    makes me wonder if this continues and spreads over the next few months if they'll call off the summer Olympics
    I mean fuck the chinese government, I don't want to see people die for it to have to happen but canceling the summer olympics there would absolutely be a silver lining to this horrible situation.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Here's an online map that's updated with statistics as soon as they're reported.

Data sources: WHO, CDC, NHC and DXY.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Here's an online map that's updated with statistics as soon as they're reported.

It looks like a damned plague inc map

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I would not make it off that boat. If the virus didn't kill me the anxiety surely fucking would. FUCK THAT.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

shouldn't he be taking a nap somewhere?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

shouldn't he be taking a nap somewhere?
    The mental gymnastics some people are performing to justify their arguments are insane!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    On my drive to work the radio hosts called and spoke with my cities health something or other person (cant remember her actual title).

She said that most of what you're seeing on tv and social media is "fake news" and its being blown out of proportion. She also said to be cautious if you're heading to the "Chinese china"

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    It's OK, we all get Barenaked Ladies stuck in our head from time to time.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "You Can Now Go to Jail in China for Criticizing Beijing's Coronavirus Response"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g...rce=reddit.com

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I know a certain orange man who is salivating at that prospect.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

6 confirmed US cases, seems like a lot of fuss... let's see where... oh, go fuck yourself... 1/3 of the confirmed US cases are within 12 miles:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    6 confirmed US cases, seems like a lot of fuss... let's see where... oh, go fuck yourself... 1/3 of the confirmed US cases are within 12 miles:

That map is weird. The Chicago virus people are husband and wife in the same house. And they’re currently in a Hoffman Estates hospital. Nowhere near Peoria.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...s-cdc/2210301/

The flu has already killed 6,600 Americans this season and sickened at least 13 million Americans. https://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.c...led-6000-in-us
    Last edited by allegro; 01-30-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That map is weird. The Chicago virus people are husband and wife in the same house. And they’re currently in a Hoffman Estates hospital. Nowhere near Peoria.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...s-cdc/2210301/

The flu has already killed 6,600 Americans this season and sickened at least 13 million Americans. https://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.c...led-6000-in-us
    Yeah, the BC dot is in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range not accessible by road, when it's been confirmed to be in Vancouver. I think the dots are just placeholders to show what states/areas are infected and not exactly showing the location of the virus. Just used as a reference point for data.