Page 12 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I've pointed this out to a lot of people. Response is always the same. "bUt iT'S noT thE fLu!"

The point I've tried to bash over everyone's head is that if they pretend this is no big deal and treat it as "just another virus", it will become as prevalent as "just another virus". Which means anywhere from tens of thousands to millions more deaths annually in the US alone, depending on where the actual mortality rates end up settling. Thus, the whole point of taking drastic measures now is to try to stomp it out, eradicate it, and make sure it doesn't become a worldwide pandemic. Once you start a fire, it spreads. It doesn't magically go out just because other fires exist somewhere else. So do you want to burn the whole world down, or do you want to try to extinguish the fire before it gets too big and there's no chance of stopping it?

I do think that 24/7 media coverage is partially responsible for the unhealthy level of panic exhibited by people wiping out store shelves. But another part of that is just people being too paranoid and too easily scared. If they actually READ articles from legitimate sources, they'd know how to handle this. But they just see words like "potential pandemic" in a headline and it's the end of the damn world.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I do feel the current state of how news is shared and used to wip people into a frenzy (especially by certain governments to reach their goals) is largely responsible for how people are reacting, but it also does come down to the age old saying..."A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals" and when you add soical media to that is just fucking spirals. All we need to do is be claim and responsible and take actions to stop the spread...but that can't happen when chaos has been embraced by the people in charge for so long.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Czech Republic has 38 virus cases in the whole country, not that many, but they've closed all schools indefinitely, cancelled any event over 100 people and put a 5 year prison sentence on anyone who is quarantined and breaks the quarantine.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    He's travelling by plane. Only idiots take cruises. They're known petri dishes of disease.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    The National Guard being sent to New Rochelle, NY - where coronavirus first started in Westchester County, NY.

Holy shit https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/new-...ronavirus.html

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    The National Guard being sent to New Rochelle, NY - where coronavirus first started in Westchester County, NY.

Holy shit
    They call this a "containment area" yet they're not containing anything. They're closing schools and large gatherings for two weeks in a 1-mile radius area. Ok, fine...but why call it containment? You can move freely. The headline is alarmist, too. The National Guard is being deployed to assist with logistics and sanitizing operations. Fucked up and confusing messaging won't help anyone.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I feel like "Trump Administration" in the first tweet and then "He said the order came from a higher up. He wouldn’t tell me who or why." two tweets later seem to be odds with each other.

either way this is a dumb decision.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Bernie cancelled his planned rally tonight also.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Bernie cancelled his planned rally tonight also.
    Good lookin' out. I assumed that's what "as well" meant in that tweet but I wasn't sure. And as I type...

This is a good move, not just for rally-goers but for the candidates themselves. Trump should follow their example...but he won't. Instead he'll call them snowflakes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes, both candidates are in the high risk category.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ That was very informative, thanks.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Case here in the county I live in, it was nice knowing you guys.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Good article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...0T14%3A23%3A14

When the influenza epidemic of 1918 infected a quarter of the U.S. population, killing tens of millions of people, seemingly small choices made the difference between life and death.

As the disease was spreading, Wilmer Krusen, Philadelphia’s health commissioner, allowed a huge parade to take place on September 28; some 200,000 people marched. In the following days and weeks, the bodies piled up in the city’s morgues. By the end of the season, 12,000 residents had died.

In St. Louis, a public-health commissioner named Max Starkloff decided to shut the city down. Ignoring the objections of influential businessmen, he closed the city’s schools, bars, cinemas, and sporting events. Thanks to his bold and unpopular actions, the per capita fatality rate in St. Louis was half that of Philadelphia. (In total, roughly 1,700 people died from influenza in St Louis.)

In the coming days, thousands of people across the country will face the choice between becoming a Wilmer Krusen or a Max Starkloff.

In the moment, it will seem easier to follow Krusen’s example. For a few days, while none of your peers are taking the same steps, moving classes online or canceling campaign events will seem profoundly odd. People are going to get angry. You will be ridiculed as an extremist or an alarmist. But it is still the right thing to do.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well my year might have gone from bad to worse...

So a few people from our office (the whole building, not just my floor) are currently working from home as a precaution. None have been confirmed with the virus, but one of them is very VERY ill...and it's one of my closest friends. She has been telling me she is being tested but there's a good chance she has it ...and guess who was the first person last week when i came back form compassionate leave to console me with a load of hugs...fuck.
    If it turns out she does have it, everyone in contact with her will HAVE to go into self isolation, and that would mean i wouldn't be able to attend my granddads funeral.

...this is worse case of course, i hope she doesn't have it and is OK, but this year really hates me so far.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

So a few people from our office (the whole building, not just my floor) are currently working from home as a precaution. None have been confirmed with the virus, but one of them is very VERY ill...and it's one of my closest friends. She has been telling me she is being tested but there's a good chance she has it ...and guess who was the first person last week when i came back form compassionate leave to console me with a load of hugs...fuck.
    If it turns out she does have it, everyone in contact with her will HAVE to go into self isolation, and that would mean i wouldn't be able to attend my granddads funeral.

...this is worse case of course, i hope she doesn't have it and is OK, but this year really hates me so far.
    i know that feeling about 2020. its been an unqualified disaster so far.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    the governor of the state of washington is banning all public gatherings in the 3 biggest counties today. no music, sports, etc. most likely the right move given the circumstances.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

Sorry to hear that, let us know how you are later.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    it's almost like those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The NBA is having discussions about having games with empty arenas or even moving games to other cities that haven't been affected by COVID19 yet. Fucking wild. Can't imagine the NBA playoffs that are coming up having no fans in the audiences.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/03/11...games-no-fans/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This is a very good read/ explanation on the dynamics of this. If you can't be bothered to read the whole thing, scroll down to where he begins discussing social distancing.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    WHO has officially declared COVID19 a pandemic.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

good lord. yeah, letting those wily Chinese tech people into our nursing homes!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20Y2LM

Clearly no other concern than re-election. The contempt for the American public is infuriating.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Seems notable because unlike Newsom (CA) and Inslee (WA), DeWine is a Republican. Related:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I wouldn't want to go to Cleveland Cavaliers games either given how terrible and dysfunctional the team is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wonder if this will affect the induction

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Good question.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    considering we have to submit 21 days of schoolwork tomorrow to our principal to be approved for our students on Friday, there were lots of rumblings that our district (250k people in the city) or even state of NJ may be closing schools on Monday for an extended period of time. nothing confirmed yet, but reading between the lines, I wouldn't be surprised.