Page 111 of 122 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Travel restrictions in place starting Monday in the U.S. but effective immediately up here in Canada. Fortunately Pfizer says they'll be able to adapt the vaccines after ~100 days or so.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    very disappointing to see so many people acting like things are normal yesterday for Thanksgiving. I didn't go to a big gathering, just my girlfriend and her mom. between the holiday and this new varient...with more holidays coming up, we can be in serious, serious trouble, and people are acting like it's nothing.

the next 2-3 weeks can literally make or break the type of winter we'll have but I fear it's already too late.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I just got the Moderna booster a couple hours ago.

My first two doses were Pfizer but I wanted to do Moderna for the booster because it is supposed to be better against the variants. We will see if that was a good or bad idea.
    Was it a good or bad idea?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I felt really weak and just kinda laid on my couch the day after. The next day I felt better and by the third day, I was back to normal. So I’d say it went well.

I got really sick after my first Pfizer dose, just had some headaches after the second. It’s so strange to see a diverse spectrum of reactions from people.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think we should call it the Omnidroid variant instead.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

This is all i could think of since the naming of the Omicron variant.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    It’s so strange to see a diverse spectrum of reactions from people.
    It's not really that strange when you think about it. The human body is pretty complex, and we all have things that make us unique, so our reactions (or lack thereof) reflect that.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Thing is though, at the very least if you get rolled by the vaccine or booster, it supposedly means you'd be screwed if you actually caught Covid. I guess it means it's working and "you needed it." So, I really am cool with the fact that I spent most of Thanksgiving unable to eat, puking and feeling weak. Pretty much was the same reaction I got to my first Phizer dose. All I have now is a mildly aching arm at the injection spot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    went to london today, and shocked so many non-mask wearers, i’d say 80% not wearing. and that was on the underground too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just hope this new variant isn't more virulent.
    And i hope the vaccines even AFFECT it. From what i understand, we aren't 100% sure about that, yet.
    All these travel restrictions aren't going to stop the spread.

Another thing that scares me is that SO many people around the world (see Denmark, Austria, Italy, etc,) are SICK of Covid and sick of masks and sick of lockdowns.

So, if this variant has a higher rate of transmission, and hits a halfway indifferent global population, this COULD be fucking horrific.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-27-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I just hope this new variant isn't more virulent.
    And i hope the vaccines even AFFECT it. From what i understand, we aren't 100% sure about that, yet.
    All these travel restrictions aren't going to stop the spread.

Another thing that scares me is that SO many people around the world (see Denmark, Austria, Italy, etc,) are SICK of Covid and sick of masks and sick of lockdowns.

So, if this variant has a higher rate of transmission, and hits a halfway indifferent global population, this COULD be fucking horrific.
    That is a possibility, and it's still too early to tell, but there's also a possibility it could go in the other direction:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/87949404.cms

It's definitely easier to spread, no doubt about that at this point, but the early reports also say it's less deadly and that symptoms are more mild than the other variants.

This may not be as bad as we all fear it could be.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    That is a possibility, and it's still too early to tell, but there's also a possibility it could go in the other direction:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/87949404.cms

It's definitely easier to spread, no doubt about that at this point, but the early reports also say it's less deadly and that symptoms are more mild than the other variants.

This may not be as bad as we all fear it could be.
    Oh, absolutely.

The Beta and Lamda variants were no big deal.

Forgive my "sky is falling" rhetoric; I'd yet to see TODAY'S news, and tend to worry a lot.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    looks like the stock market is already posed to bounce back. the market always "reacts" to the latest news. perhaps they feel it isn't as bad as it may seem, as stated above.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Or maybe the stock market is just fluctuating wildly, and will continue to do so until we have a better idea what we are dealing with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Moderna Booster is tomorrow. Thankfully made apt before the tweaked guidelines will maybe increase demand, which is already high in my parts.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Booster booked for Wednesday. Honestly if they want data on omicron, they should just watch FL. No one here gives a f--k and masks are pretty much gone.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    G and I are booked for our Moderna booster on 12/9. I got my Mom in for hers several weeks ago.

My GYN says I can’t get my annual mammogram and ultrasound until at least a month after my booster, because the vaccine causes swollen lymph nodes. Unless I can sneak in and get both BEFORE 12/9.

I guess the Moderna booster is just 1/2 dose of the regular Moderna vaccine.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-29-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I guess the Moderna booster is just 1/2 dose of the regular Moderna vaccine.
    Correct, unless you are considered immunocompromised then I believe the booster dose is closer or equal to the previous two doses.

Anecdotally I'm hearing some friends / people say they're not going to get the boost. Not really sure of the reasoning but, whatever it is, it's faulty. Get the booster in you, people, especially with the maybe-terrible or maybe-only-slightly-bad OMICRON lurking. Do it.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don’t get why people are hesitant to get the booster. Maybe it’s just fatigue at this point. Like, maybe on some psychological level people are just saying “can this please be over?!?!” and getting the vax boost feels like you’re signing up for six more months. I have to admit, there was something like that rummaging around in my subconscious like that for a minute, but then I got the booster.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Maybe it’s just fatigue at this point. Like, maybe on some psychological level people are just saying “can this please be over?!?!” and getting the vax boost feels like you’re signing up for six more months.
    I think it's either that or the feeling like it's already over. Granted, I was hearing this before OMICRON was a thing so maybe tunes have changed. I dunno.

Also, going forward, please read "OMICRON" in your best death metal voice. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've been off for the past week-plus due to housework so I wasn't able to share this when I found it out:

my Trump co-worker is moving to Florida from Washington State because of the governor situation. He doesn't like ours and thinks that Ron is doing a fantastic job. No, really. Also he's a type of militant Libertarian that you can only get from having a really fucked up sense of self. He wears ascots ffs. But I'm not attacking a man who cannot defend himself against what I say so I will not go into further details there. But he would rather move to Florida than stay here, that's the gist of this. He moved here in January 2020 to take this job and now he's moving to Florida (he gets to keep the job since it was made remote due to the pandemic) to, and I quote, "get out of a place where his kind isn't welcome". He's actually sent emails and called places that have the "you must be vaxed" policy because it excludes him and his wife. It boggles my mind that he's doing this, like it's the ultimate cut off your nose to spite your face move.

I'm going to read up on "what if an employee dies in service" just in case.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    He wears ascots ffs.
    Um … WHAT?!?!?!
    Last edited by allegro; 11-30-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I have NEVER in my life seen a guy wear an ascot to work. I can’t even imagine this. But I also can’t imagine someone moving over this vaccine issue.

In the 80s, the mandatory drug-testing issue started. Employers began doing random drug testing on employees, many including HAIR tests that gather DNA INFORMATION. Employers also began doing credit checks on potential employees (as well as DNA drug tests on potential employees).

Bell Labs used to bust employees for smoking in their own cars in the employee parking lot. I’m not kidding.

And the weird thing? I never saw any of these libertarians running around screaming about rights being violated.

Me? I’m not a libertarian. But if an employer wanted some of my HAIR to do a drug test, I’d tell them NO. I wouldn’t even consent to a credit check. *shrug*

But vaccine mandates aren’t about ME. They’re about the rights of disabled people, elderly people, immunocompromised people, etc.

And, really, they’re about the company’s desire to stay open and operating. Companies love vaccine mandates that THEY don’t have to initiate but can happily enforce. Because profit and shareholders.

These “libertarians” are just selfish frauds. If the U.S. government passed a law requiring all Muslims and Hispanics to be fully vaccinated, a ton of these “libertarians” would be applauding it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Um … WHAT?!?!?!

yeah, seriously. and our boss gives him shit for it constantly. Good-natured but still.
    I have NEVER in my life seen a guy wear an ascot to work. I can’t even imagine this. But I also can’t imagine someone moving over this vaccine issue.

In the 80s, the mandatory drug-testing issue started. Employers began doing random drug testing on employees, many including HAIR tests that gather DNA INFORMATION. Employers also began doing credit checks on potential employees (as well as DNA drug tests on potential employees).

Bell Labs used to bust employees for smoking in their own cars in the employee parking lot. I’m not kidding.

And the weird thing? I never saw any of these libertarians running around screaming about rights being violated.

Me? I’m not a libertarian. But if an employer wanted some of my HAIR to do a drug test, I’d tell them NO. I wouldn’t even consent to a credit check. *shrug*

But vaccine mandates aren’t about ME. They’re about the rights of disabled people, elderly people, immunocompromised people, etc.

And, really, they’re about the company’s desire to stay open and operating. Companies love vaccine mandates that THEY don’t have to initiate but can happily enforce. Because profit and shareholders.

These “libertarians” are just selfish frauds. If the U.S. government passed a law requiring all Muslims and Hispanics to be fully vaccinated, a ton of these “libertarians” would be applauding it.
    we were talking about this - because neither of us are total assholes and can certainly carry a conversation - and he said, "I know you got the jab, and I understand why, but I'm not going to" and my response was basically a variation of "you were in the Army so why is this different? also I got the jab because I have a 1.5 y/o nephew that I would feel terrible about being the cause of any harm to" to which he just pushed past both of those points.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I STILL haven't been vaccinated. I AM immunocompromised: on the one hand, that means I NEED it, and on the other, it means it might make me real fucking sick, too, I guess?

SO, i still barely leave the house, mask up if I MUST leave (usually giraffe neck PLUS surgical mask,) use hand sanitizer obsessively, etc.

I guess I'm just being a pussy...and kind of LAZY, too: it's at LEAST a 90 mile round trip from where I live, to get the shot.

I need to get on top of it, though.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    it might make me real fucking sick, too, I guess?
    Actually, the less immune system you have, the less sick you get.

My elderly Mom has hardly any immune system because she's 83. It's just what happens to you when you get old.

The only thing she got was a sore arm.

Getting sick is a sign of a robust immune system; it's a sign that your body is fighting the shot.

NOT getting sick after the vaccine is a sign that your immune system really sucks.

It's why the elderly really don't ever respond AT ALL to the Covid vaccine or to ANY vaccine, other than a sore arm.

Re employment: An elderly friend of mine gets a part-time healthcare worker through the Illinois Department of Aging, about 12 hours per week. And she's losing her current worker this coming January, because that worker is retiring. That worker has become a real friend to my friend. So I thought, "Hey! It's 12 hours a week, I could do this!" So my friend said, "oh my God, I would LOVE that!"

The only thing that I don't like about it is that the agency I'd work for, who gets paid by the state, requires fingerprinting.

I understand WHY, because home health workers may steal stuff, etc.

But ... yeah.

Meanwhile, none of these "LIBERTARIANS" ever get up in arms about this kind of stuff. Even when the FBI wanted to be able to break into iPhones, they were like "yeah, go right ahead, we'll be able to find terrorists."

But, with all this ridiculous misinformation about vaccines? I got into it with a chick on Twitter who was absolutely 100% convinced that the Covid vaccines were a plot by Big Pharma to make money and nothing more, and that our own immune systems could fight this and there were already "treatments" out there that were "approved." I said, wait, treatments are for people who already HAVE Covid. The idea is to not GET it and then if you DO get it, you get a much LESSER VERSION of it. Her response: "Then why did Colin Powell die and he got the vaccine?"

Because Collin Powell had Multiple Myeloma, which is kind of a bone marrow cancer, which means he had ZERO immune system, which means the vaccine didn't protect him at all, and vaccines don't provide an immune system. And those masks you hate so much and all that social distancing you oppose and the people without vaccines killed him before he'd likely die already.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-30-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ok, so, you're not making me feel all that good since neither of the two shots nor the booster did anything other than make my arm a little sore.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, I feel a lot worse about not feeling too bad after Pfizer dose 2 and the Moderna booster.