Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 140

Thread: Chinese Coronavirus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,636
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

    Chinese Coronavirus

    I'm surprised nobody here is talking about this.
    It's been in the news up here in Canada nonstop like every minute of the day.

    2nd US case discovered today, in Chicago.
    Other case in Seattle.

    Here is an interactive map that shows where the infected places in the world are:
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

    A few days ago, confirmed cases were only at 300 and the death toll was only at 9 and at the time of writing this, it's 939 cases and 26 dead.

    This is scary shit. It's SARS 2.0 all over again, but this time seems worse.

    What's even scarier is, my manager at work is currently on vacation in China right now... I hope she doesn't bring this shit back with her!!
    But, as far as I'm concerned, it's already here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,173
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    nvm
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-25-2020 at 06:09 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Is this the sister ailment to Lyme Disease?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,945
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Is this the sister ailment to Lyme Disease?
    Corona virus passes from animals to people.

    This particular one started with people selling illegal wild animals in a market.

    SARS was one (wild cats to humans), as was MERS (camels to humans). Or maybe bats to humans.

    Corona is named for its appearance under a microscope.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2020 at 01:55 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Corona virus passes from animals to people.

    This particular one started with people selling illegal wild animals in a market.

    SARS was one (wild cats to humans), as was MERS (camels to humans). Or maybe bats to humans.

    Corona is named for its appearance under a microscope.


    Guess that joke was dumb enough that I should have clarified it. (And if anyone finds it in bad taste to joke about this, just realize that some people use dark humor as a way to deal with things that they find creepy.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Actually, I was wondering if the marketing people for Corona beer have been having emergency meetings to figure out if this is gonna damage their brand or hurt their sales.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Officials are thinking someone in a Toronto, Ontario hospital has the virus now.

    God damn it!

    https://globalnews.ca/news/6462626/c...40globalnewsto

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,173
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    This thread, man.... damn.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    The biggest threat to humans (besides other humans) has always been viruses. The Black Death, the Spanish Flu, smallpox...

    Another deadly pandemic that will kill hundred of thousands of people is not "freaking out", it's inevitable.

    As a depressed, cynical misanthrope, I say bring it on.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,215
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    I'm seeing a lot of racism and paranoia. Go figure!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    watching Contagion with my son because they're talking about this in school. he's right proper freaked out and we're barely halfway through it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of racism and paranoia. Go figure!
    Yeah lots of those "this is why we shouldn't let everyone in to our county" comments, it's pretty sad.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Yeah lots of those "this is why we shouldn't let everyone in to our county" comments, it's pretty sad.
    Ironic, considering how badly domestic anti-vaxxers seem to want us all to get measles and mumps and tuberculosis all over again.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,215
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Did everyone reading this get a flu shot for the year ahead? Maybe take a second out of your day to go and do that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    well the tin-foil brigade is out, saying there's a huge biowarfare lab in the province this started in. seems like if it were engineered they did a piss-poor job of it since the mortality rate seems to be pretty low at the moment.
    i think that Xi Jinping already talking about this means it's actually much worse than what's out there officially

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...455_story.html

    but this just doesn't seem like it's going lead to anything good

    Japan, expecting 400,000 Chinese tourists this week, advised staff at airports and shops to wear face masks while serving customers, something usually considered inappropriate for public-facing employees. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said airlines arriving in Japan had been asked to distribute health surveys and advise customers to report symptoms, while checks had also been stepped up for people arriving by cruise ship.
    I guess the US is still receiving flights from there but it just seems like a terrible idea

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,945
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Sorry for the levity but this comment made me laugh, “it’s all fun and games until someone gets the plague!” (the plague, rats ... never mind)

    Last edited by allegro; 01-26-2020 at 12:52 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    i spent friday at a hospital having some tests & was asked if i had been out of the country recently. stuff makes me nervous as my immune system is compromised by some meds. looks like going to have to stay in the fortress of solitude for the most part for awhile.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,234
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    well the tin-foil brigade is out, saying there's a huge biowarfare lab in the province this started in. seems like if it were engineered they did a piss-poor job of it since the mortality rate seems to be pretty low at the moment.
    Article from 2017 about the lab...
    https://www.nature.com/news/inside-t...hogens-1.21487

    Also mortality rate is low because it has a 2 week incubation period, half the world's population could be infected and we wouldn't know yet.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    i spent friday at a hospital having some tests & was asked if i had been out of the country recently.
    But hasn't this been a pretty standard question for years now? I feel like they ask me this every time I go in for any kind of medical appointment, even if it's for something totally minor.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,945
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    I remember reading Defoe’s “A Journal of the Plague Year” and that some people in urban areas escaped to “the countryside” to get away from “the sickness” and everyone thought they were nuts, but it ended up they were totally right; not only because too many people but also because trash, rats, fleas.

    China closing down schools, theaters, Disney, and anything “people” isn’t quite boarding people up inside their homes like The Great Plague but they’re taking proper precautions, for sure.

    I take precautions by using those wipe thingies at the supermarket to disinfect the cart, and washing my hands like a maniac.

    I didn’t get my flu shot this season because I was crazy busy. Bad move. I got sick for the first time in nine years. This is a NASTY flu going around. And I take about 10 vitamins per day and eat healthy. Get the flu shot, the 4-in-1.

    I think I got it from a damned elevator I’m in all the time.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-26-2020 at 01:11 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Did everyone reading this get a flu shot for the year ahead? Maybe take a second out of your day to go and do that.
    Why does this virus make you say that?

    I get my flu shot every year at the first possible chance, but I don't see the connection between that and this - especially since this year's flu vaccine is one of the least effective in a long, long time (the model they used to develop this year's was way off; the virus popping up in hospitals is generally coming from the B family, and the vaccine was geared mainly if not entirely toward the A family). I still recommend everyone get the shot since a bulletproof vest that covers a fraction of your vital organs is still better than a t-shirt, but I don't see why this would help anybody with regards to this new outbreak.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,636
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    The Toronto case was confirmed.

    Los Angeles case confirmed today.

    Just a matter of time til i gets here. Will be in Vancouver by end of the month with all the travel to/from China for the Lunar year. We have a huge Chinese population here.
    Last I read, they quarantined about 13 cities in China. No in or out. Including by flight or by road. So that begs the question, how are these people getting through still?

    It seems like every case I read about that leaks to another part of the world was from someone who traveled to the infected area.
    I feel like they quarantined Wuhan a little too late. The cat had already been let out of the bag at that point.

    Canada's "screening process" is also a joke. It's basically the honor system. They ask you if you traveled to an infected area and they ask you if you have any symptoms and that's it. And they take your word if you say no, lol. Anyone can very much lie to carry on with their day.

    The city of Vancouver here, cancelled all Chinese New Year festivities and parades yesterday to take precautions even though the virus hasn't been "officially announced" here. So, least they have some street smarts here. Someone could have very well returned with the virus, fell sick and didn't report it or go to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more cases out already just unreported. Not everyone that has a cold or flu goes to the hospital. In fact, they usually train us here NOT to go if you think you just have a cold or flu because there is nothing a dr's office or hospital can do if you have it. Basically tell you to go home and rest.

    With this shit, slightly different story since it basically causes pneumonia. I'd be done for if I caught this because I have weak lungs. I had re-occuring collapsed lungs when I was a teenager. Had about 9 cases in a Calendar year. Went for an operation to fix it. They cut out part of the bad lung. I have shortness of breath sometimes, so catching this could be fatal for me.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Actually, I was wondering if the marketing people for Corona beer have been having emergency meetings to figure out if this is gonna damage their brand or hurt their sales.
    $STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    $STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.
    have you seen the state of the world lately?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    But hasn't this been a pretty standard question for years now? I feel like they ask me this every time I go in for any kind of medical appointment, even if it's for something totally minor.
    i don't remember being asked that before. i have to spend a lot of time having medicine being practiced on me but mostly with people who know me.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    646
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    The Toronto case was confirmed.

    Los Angeles case confirmed today.

    Just a matter of time til i gets here. Will be in Vancouver by end of the month with all the travel to/from China for the Lunar year. We have a huge Chinese population here.
    Last I read, they quarantined about 13 cities in China. No in or out. Including by flight or by road. So that begs the question, how are these people getting through still?

    It seems like every case I read about that leaks to another part of the world was from someone who traveled to the infected area.
    I feel like they quarantined Wuhan a little too late. The cat had already been let out of the bag at that point.

    Canada's "screening process" is also a joke. It's basically the honor system. They ask you if you traveled to an infected area and they ask you if you have any symptoms and that's it. And they take your word if you say no, lol. Anyone can very much lie to carry on with their day.

    The city of Vancouver here, cancelled all Chinese New Year festivities and parades yesterday to take precautions even though the virus hasn't been "officially announced" here. So, least they have some street smarts here. Someone could have very well returned with the virus, fell sick and didn't report it or go to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more cases out already just unreported. Not everyone that has a cold or flu goes to the hospital. In fact, they usually train us here NOT to go if you think you just have a cold or flu because there is nothing a dr's office or hospital can do if you have it. Basically tell you to go home and rest.

    With this shit, slightly different story since it basically causes pneumonia. I'd be done for if I caught this because I have weak lungs. I had re-occuring collapsed lungs when I was a teenager. Had about 9 cases in a Calendar year. Went for an operation to fix it. They cut out part of the bad lung. I have shortness of breath sometimes, so catching this could be fatal for me.
    same thing is happening in seattle with lunar new year events

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    have you seen the state of the world lately?
    Yes, but people are being stupid about boring things that don't matter, like education and women's rights and the overall health of the planet's ecosystem. They still pay attention to important things like cheap beer.

    (for historians who may find this years from now, for fuck's sake, this is sarcasm of the highest degree)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,215
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Why does this virus make you say that?

    I get my flu shot every year at the first possible chance, but I don't see the connection between that and this - especially since this year's flu vaccine is one of the least effective in a long, long time (the model they used to develop this year's was way off; the virus popping up in hospitals is generally coming from the B family, and the vaccine was geared mainly if not entirely toward the A family). I still recommend everyone get the shot since a bulletproof vest that covers a fraction of your vital organs is still better than a t-shirt, but I don't see why this would help anybody with regards to this new outbreak.
    Good on you for being informed. I believe that act of taking the precaution, seeing it for yourself — a health professional performing the service they are trained for — boosts confidence in their work, and helps with the element of panic. Toronto Public Health (the body that successfully contained an outbreak of SARS cases from spreading in 2003) stated:

    [The novel virus] ...has been identified at the same time as local circulation of influenza, also known as the flu, is common in Toronto. Toronto Public Health advises residents to take the usual measures to reduce the risk of the transmission of the flu and respiratory illness:

    Get a yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies.
    Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
    Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
    If you don't have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
    Stay at home if you are sick.
    Flu and respiratory illness symptoms include sudden onset of a high fever, chills, sore throat, cough, muscle aches and difficult breathing. As a reminder, the flu can spread to others before symptoms even appear. Older individuals or individuals with pre-existing medical conditions such as asthma or heart disease are at higher risk of severe illness. If you or a family member have concerns about any symptoms, contact your health care provider.
    Do all of that (ie. see a health practitioner, and follow what they say to minimize risk) and your chances of getting deathly sick are probably small.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    $STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.
    see: ISIS

    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...-group-n465762

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Yeah, but that's a sign that's got a somewhat Middle-Eastern look to it (makes sense, given the store was named after the Egyptian goddess of life), so a bunch of ignorant racists are going to be drawn to it. I can at least see how someone dumb enough to be that racist would also be dumb enough to not understand that a book store isn't a terrorist organization. It's also entirely possible that all of them were either stoned or drunk (or both) and thought it would be "funny" to trash a place that just happened to share that name, even if they knew there wasn't any relation.

    I don't think anyone old enough to drink beer is dumb enough to think that this virus all over the news if FROM a beer, especially since the headlines haven't said anything at all about beer.

Posting Permissions