... and I'm out.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Come again?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Come again?
    i think katara opened the thread for people to dump reaction videos instead of clogging up NIN spotting with them, but doesn't want to take part in the thread (understandably).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    What have I become...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Looking forward to reading and reacting to many reactions about reactions to NIN.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

May as well start things off...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Man I hate these videos. It all started with Tool and Sober live, right?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks for breaking these off, I think that reaction videos in general are dumb as hell.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I can at the very least agree that it's definitely much better to have a thread for the Nine Inch Nails reaction videos than have none at all, so at least they won't end up on every other parts of the board where the majority clearly doesn't want them. While I also still see where you're all coming from, I also know very-well to not assume or expect the reactors to know much, or even a single thing about Nine Inch Nails, because some of them aren't even actual fans. Granted, I see how there's no excuse in some ways, considering how one can just simply research Nine Inch Nails on Google and Wikipedia just to get a general idea about what the musician and his actual music is about along with what it actually consists of.

A part of me doesn't really mind, because I always liked to see my interests get plastered all over the Internet no matter how insipid or inane, but that's just me as I don't mean to speak for the entire fan-base. (Then again, it's easy for me to say as somebody that's lived off parodies, memes and Internet shows since 2000.) It's one of the reasons why I even like to still type Nine Inch Nails in full, because it also helps for Google searches across the board.

Anyway, I just came across this reaction of U.U.U. on With Teeth. I can't say that I'm that much surprised, but at the same time at least thought that he probably would've loved The Hand That Feeds, Every Is Exactly The Same, With Teeth and The Line Begins To Blur. He only ended up enjoying All The Love In The World, Only and Sunspots. While he didn't call With Teeth bad altogether, the rest of the album just wasn't his thing. He could at least try coming back to it though, since NIN is better off in multiple listens. The first listen isn't always the best way to gauge NIN, or well, almost any other musician(s) for that matter.

I also suppose what I sometimes like about reactions in general is because it's just another way to see opinions aside from just reading text all the time. At the same time though, I totally understand. I don't always look up reaction videos either, but have seen when they can be a real miss, even for somebody that doesn't really mind them all that much. This is when some of the reactors don't even react at all, nor have any actual dialogues and break downs whatsoever.

Oh, and as for U.U.U, his remaining and overall appreciation and love for Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile kind of make it up to me. Kind of.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-19-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    The first listen isn't always the best way to gauge NIN, or well, almost any other musician(s) for that matter.
    ... or any album, or any song.

Even a professional critic who's listened to thousands of albums needs time to allow music to breathe. Knee-jerk reactions are often so forced. The 'miss' videos where the listeners don't react at all is how almost everyone really consumes music. They don't stop and start in the middle of a track and act like they're offended and provide running commentary. All of that is a construct for the camera. Most will silently listen, maybe bop their head a little if they're into it, and if they don't like it, just silently turn it off and move on to something else.

When I first listened to Not The Actual Events, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". That's a pretty intense reaction, but that was it. It's an intense EP. I had no idea if I even liked what I'd just heard. I think it took three years for me to get into Burning Bright. If I'd made a reaction video at that time, I'd probably have said that the EP sucked, that the music was too repetitively simple, that the vocals were all buried with few hooks, that it was mixed horribly, that the songs were incongruous with each other, and that the only bit I enjoyed was the chorus of track 2.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post

Even a professional critic who's listened to thousands of albums needs time to allow music to breathe. Knee-jerk reactions are often so forced. The 'miss' videos where the listeners don't react at all is how almost everyone really consumes music. They don't stop and start in the middle of a track and act like they're offended and provide running commentary. All of that is a construct for the camera. Most will silently listen, maybe bop their head a little if they're into it, and if they don't like it, just silently turn it off and move on to something else.

When I first listened to Not The Actual Events, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". That's a pretty intense reaction, but that was it. It's an intense EP. I had no idea if I even liked what I'd just heard. I think it took three years for me to get into Burning Bright. If I'd made a reaction video at that time, I'd probably have said that the EP sucked, that the music was too repetitively simple, that the vocals were all buried with few hooks, that it was mixed horribly, that the songs were incongruous with each other, and that the only bit I enjoyed was the chorus of track 2.
    Yeah especially Branches/Bones, at first I was like "This sounds tinny and forced." it wasn't until I heard a live recording of it I changed my mind to "holy shit this song is brutal!"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The only Reaction video I’ll ever share :

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    The only Reaction video I’ll ever share :
    I don't mind when it's a legitimate musicians giving their "feedback", but I really don't care what a pastor or your grandma has to say about the new Dimmu Borgir track.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i promise i'm not being an elitist, but if you're doing a "reaction video" to music, you should not be listening on shitty apple earbuds. that's like reviewing a movie after watching it on your phone without your glasses on.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i promise i'm not being an elitist, but if you're doing a "reaction video" to music, you should not be listening on shitty apple earbuds. that's like reviewing a movie after watching it on your phone without your glasses on.
    Respectfully disagree. You can still tell that an actor has a shitty fake accent, that the script is unbelievably stupid, or that the same plot has been done a thousand times before even if you watch a movie on a tiny screen with compromised vision.

Bad headphones won't allow you to fully appreciate the production quality of a song, but you can have a beautifully mixed and produced song that's still absolute shit, so I don't think the hardware disqualifies you from reacting to a song. It's not ideal, but there's a lot of important information that can be conveyed by even the worst speakers / earbuds.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Respectfully disagree. You can still tell that an actor has a shitty fake accent, that the script is unbelievably stupid, or that the same plot has been done a thousand times before even if you watch a movie on a tiny screen with compromised vision.

Bad headphones won't allow you to fully appreciate the production quality of a song, but you can have a beautifully mixed and produced song that's still absolute shit, so I don't think the hardware disqualifies you from reacting to a song. It's not ideal, but there's a lot of important information that can be conveyed by even the worst speakers / earbuds.
    totally fair! i guess i should have said "it isn't ideal" to absorb media in those ways.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post

I actually don't mind commentary during the songs and albums, especially if they aren't forced and over the top. If they are, I totally understand why one wouldn't like those types of reaction videos either. I also supposed that particular construct for the camera is the overall purpose and construct for the type of show itself, but you're right. Reacting to anything is just absolute observation and listening, as opposed to reacting as if you're providing commentary and analysis for an audience. On the other hand, I think it's better if the opinions are expressed after the songs have been finished.

A point I'd like to make with first impressions/reactions is my experience with Underneath It All. My first reaction as that it was one of the best and one of my most favorite songs from The Fragile, as well as it's most mind blowing song. And now, it's Underneath It All of those songs I keep skipping over, but not because I find it to be an awful song, but because it just doesn't appeal to me the way it used to, in spite of still having some favorite parts on it.

With all that being said, I still absolutely agree with you. I remember getting so excited to listening to something only to get tired of it later, or dismissing something to falling in love with it later, so that definitely taught me a thing or two about not trusting first impressions with entertainment altogether, hence not judging books by their covers.

If anything, I just always make sure to lower my expectations and often just chalk up most, if not all reaction videos from shits and giggles to just casual listeners/fans, at the very least, and new fans being gained at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    I just wanted to say that what you just said just reminded me of David Lynch's take on watching movies on the iPhone.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-28-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I just wanted to say that what you just said just reminded me of David Lynch's take on watching movies on the iPhone.
    yup, that's what inspired it! haha

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Jokes aside, i would really appreciate if a video (or just audio, podcast, whatever) emerged where a professional gives a serious detailed analysis on TR's singing, based on various songs, both live and studio, not just a single track. Who would provide answer as to when he sounded best in his career, which mistakes he makes naturally or deliberately, where he's stronger/weaker than his peers in the genre, etc.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

May as well start things off...
    Do you ever get a feeling that somone is just really fake? I dunno I get that feel out of this guy a lot, out of curiousity I watched his reactions and something just feels off to me. Maybe I'm just too cynical.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Do you ever get a feeling that somone is just really fake? I dunno I get that feel out of this guy a lot, out of curiousity I watched his reactions and something just feels off to me. Maybe I'm just too cynical.
    This guy just seems, to me, to be full of an energy that I'll never really understand...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've seen these videos pop up a lot when I search for NIN on Youtube lately and it's kind of annoying. Some reactions are interesting to watch, but after a while they all start to feel fake. On the other hand, it is cool that some people are willing to listen to music they're not familiar with.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I've seen these videos pop up a lot when I search for NIN on Youtube lately and it's kind of annoying. Some reactions are interesting to watch, but after a while they all start to feel fake. On the other hand, it is cool that some people are willing to listen to music they're not familiar with.
    I like this dude, I feel like he deserves to be posted here.

He not only listens to the track and pays attention ot it, but gives a pretty in-depth cool portion where he explains his thoughts, he seems legit excited over discovering new music and sharing his experiences with others.

Some people may find the Death Grips comparison silly, but I still feel like he is pretty legit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I love seeing the kids discover NIN

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Yeah, this guy is annoyingly fake. Maybe at the start, he was doing real reactions, but he’s been at it for years. It’s fake now.