Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Hurt" on Song Exploder (Netflix)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"Hurt" on Song Exploder (Netflix)

So, the Netflix series Song Exploder has Trent talking about Hurt in the third episode of the second season, available now.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

"Hurt" on Song Exploder

trent listening to the isolated vocal track in hurt during the song exploder episode gave me the chills. Love ya, reznor. you’ve come a long way.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Cool to hear some of the elements of Hurt played separately.
    I always wondered about that string, organ, accordion type sounds.
    a few cool vocals only clips that could be used for songs making

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just finished Song Exploder, and it made me miss seeing them live - even missed the awful tension I always feel during Hurt and the inevitable terrible UK crowd reaction.

Spoiler: Found it curious how they'd chop about a bit between archive interviews, from pre-TDS to post-Fragile. I liked the inclusion of Bowie (that made me teary) and the absence of Le Pig references and sobriety references was welcome. No point re-treading old ground. Even the inevitable Cash element of the episode was mercifully short

Hrishikesh Hirway is brilliant, and should be recognised as so the world over. This episode (plus the two I watched from the first season) as well as his stints on the podcast and The West Wing Weekly prove that.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Any way to watch it for those not on netflix?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Really greatly enjoyed the Song Exploder episode, Trent reacting to this song of his he hasn't heard in a long time (at least, this specific recording) was really cool. I am guilty to say that I did tear up a little bit several times when I watched it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Song Exploder episode on Netflix is SO good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It was a nice surprise seeing Alan Moulder and Flood in the episode! Seeing Trent break down the track along with each individual element was so awesome. I feel like there should be a full Song Exploder season just dedicated to TDS or even The Fragile! That would be really cool. There's so many layers and getting the chance to hear them isolated from the rest of the track is so fascinating.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Alan and Flood also pop up in The Killers’ episode too. Nice to see them both.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yes, really enjoyed the Song Exploder episode. Though I was really hoping they'd break down that long drone section at the end of the song, but it was totally skipped! I want to know more about that little melody that's buried in there.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Ugh, they used the incorrect caption for the first NIN show (Cleveland 1989) again. (First time was in the actual Closure bonus footage). It's 1988, people!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You can hear Trent getting emotional a couple of times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, so ridiculously good. It felt like some mysteries were uncovered: hearing the piano demo for the first time, the sources of the drones, the treatment of the string samples. It makes me appreciate the song even more than I already do. To hear how much thought he put into the production and the way it was presented was fascinating.

So...who do I gotta blow to get him to do that for every TDS song?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Someone should start a podcast called Album Exploder and have it - no pun intended - blow up so that it can be done.

Isn't there a DVD series that is kind of like this already? Where they take an album and interview the band about the creation of it? something like 20th Century Masters? It's not bringing anything up in Google but it's such a generic search term maybe it's just me not having good google-fu this morning.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I know Trent hates talking about lyrics and I understand why but fuuuuuck I would listen to every episode they did, the one for The Lovers was great too for anyone who missed it (audio only).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I know Trent hates talking about lyrics and I understand why but fuuuuuck I would listen to every episode they did, the one for The Lovers was great too for anyone who missed it (audio only).
    Agreed, the one about The Lovers is fantastic and to see the multiple layers that went into that song, is fascinating.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The Song Exploder on The Lovers caused me to see the song in a new light and gain a new-found appreciation for it. I always liked it, but that podcast episode made me love it and it's now one of my favorites of the EP trilogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    also im pretty sure the subtitles said its “your touch” playing when it was sanctified lol

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I've always loved The Lovers, and now it's 10x better. This is such a good listen.
    Last edited by Magnetic; 12-17-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Amazing insight into Hurt that, i'm kinda Suprised the Song Exploder doc hasn't got it's own thread. I thought it was such an important moment for fans to finally take a deep look into a truly pivotal moment in NIN's career. Back in love with a song i could barely listen to for quite some time to be honest. Wonderful!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Any chance we can get a Song Exploder ep with isolated tracks for A Warm Place so we can finally put to rest what that line of lyric looping in the very beginning is..?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Someone should start a podcast called Album Exploder and have it - no pun intended - blow up so that it can be done.

Isn't there a DVD series that is kind of like this already? Where they take an album and interview the band about the creation of it? something like 20th Century Masters? It's not bringing anything up in Google but it's such a generic search term maybe it's just me not having good google-fu this morning.
    It's not the Classic Albums series, is it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hey, that's the one! I knew someone smarter than I am would know what I was blathering about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Really enjoyed the Song Exploder episode. I love how it broke down certain elements of the song that I never noticed before. And having Trent explain why a sound was chosen or how they got a certain sound made me hear the song in a different way. The way Trent explained the thought behind Hurt, how it came from this lonely, broken place, but in the end was saying it's going to be okay, you're okay,...gah...made me tear up. Really hope NIN appear on a future Song Exploder episode. Would love to have them breakdown Reptile or The Becoming.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Funny how the NIN twitter advertises the episode with a pic from Woodstock where Hurt was not played. I wonder why, I guess they felt it was a bit of a bummer for a festival?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Funny how the NIN twitter advertises the episode with a pic from Woodstock where Hurt was not played. I wonder why, I guess they felt it was a bit of a bummer for a festival?
    They hadn't debuted it yet, Woodstock was basically the same setlist as earlier part of Self Destruct tour. There's tons of unrelated live footage in the episode though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Something I haven’t seen mentioned about the song exploder episode- I’ve watched it a few times and I’m fascinated that they managed to avoid any mention or playing of Closer. That couldn’t have been on accident. Even when they show the rear track list of the downward spiral, it’s starts the list after Closer (specifically after Ruiner). I’m not sure if that was done because they didn’t want Hurt to be over shadowed by the most popular track or what, but it had to be done on purpose.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I don't see why Closer would have been mentioned. The episode was about Hurt alone. Combined with the fact that Closer was the bigger hit, but widely misinterpreted "song for titty bars" (Trent's words, not mine) why the hell would anyone want to draw that into the episode? There was plenty enough to unpack as it was. I think he alluded to "ill equipped to deal with fame," and that was sufficient.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I don't see why Closer would have been mentioned. The episode was about Hurt alone. Combined with the fact that Closer was the bigger hit, but widely misinterpreted "song for titty bars" (Trent's words, not mine) why the hell would anyone want to draw that into the episode? There was plenty enough to unpack as it was. I think he alluded to "ill equipped to deal with fame," and that was sufficient.
    I didn’t mean just mentioned, but also heard/seen. Other tracks are heard throughout the episode (terrible lie (live), heresy) and they even have a still shot photo from the unused March of the pigs video as well as the official March of the pigs video photo. Just found it interesting that they seemed to intentionally avoid anything at all about the track.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was just relieved that no mention was made of where it was recorded; I'm beyond tired of lazy journalists reaching for the Tate house whenever they have to write anything about TR/nin.