Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN spotting 2020

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Someone in the comments of the new fucked up animation by MeatCanyon likened the audio track to Tetsuo: The Bullet Man. Must say I agree. It’s damn awesome:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Summer Sonic 2020 Archive Vol. 2:

Day-1: Boom Boom Satellites(2009)、B’z(2009)、Coldplay(2008)、The Flaming Lips(2009)、Oasis(2005)、Sigur Ros(2012)、Sonic Youth(2009) ※出演順ではありません
    Day-2: Green Day(2012)、Nine Inch Nails(2009)、The Prodigy(2008)、Rihanna(2012)、X Japan(2011) ※出演順ではありません

2009 NIN set will be broadcast, probably full set, or it could be a concise 50-minute edit of highlights.
    Footage available for 24 hours.

*Think this probably deserves its own thread.
    I highly recommend people to watch the Boom Boom Satellites set from 2009. They're a Japanese band, but they wrote the lyrics in English.
    If you're into NIN, there's a good chance you'd love BBS as well. Their lead singer, Michiyuki Kawashima, passed away in 2016, but their body of work is worth checking out.
    Of course Flaming Lips 2009 & Sigur Ros' 2012 sets will be highlights from Day 1 as well.
    Day 2 is quite underwhelming apart from NIN to me. If you're into Japanese rock, X would be worth your time.
    I miss Flint but their live set is to be experienced imo, its essence was never really captured on film.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 07-20-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    There was a Boom Boom Satellites song from the Napster era that was being passed off as unreleased Nine Inch Nails for a while. I never understood how you could make that mistake, but the prevalence of it speaks to how well the music went over with NIN fans in the 2000s. I believe the real song title was Push Eject, and the title it was being passed off was Digital.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    There was a Boom Boom Satellites song from the Napster era that was being passed off as unreleased Nine Inch Nails for a while. I never understood how you could make that mistake, but the prevalence of it speaks to how well the music went over with NIN fans in the 2000s. I believe the real song title was Push Eject, and the title it was being passed off was Digital.
    Ha! I definitely remember downloading that track in the '90s, knowing full well that it was probably bullshit, but yet part of me couldn't resist that "what if?" curiosity and the allure of discovering more unreleased NIN tracks. Pretty sure I deleted it after listening and realizing that it was (as expected) not, in fact, NIN. Now I'm curious to see what it sounded like because I can't remember. Off to YouTube!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Ha! I definitely remember downloading that track in the '90s, knowing full well that it was probably bullshit, but yet part of me couldn't resist that "what if?" curiosity and the allure of discovering more unreleased NIN tracks. Pretty sure I deleted it after listening and realizing that it was (as expected) not, in fact, NIN. Now I'm curious to see what it sounded like because I can't remember. Off to YouTube!
    I vaguely remember this track but recall that era of online very well.

"OH SHIT WHAT'S THIS??"
    <click>
    <wait anywhere between 20 seconds to 7 hours>
    "oh wtf is this garbage?"

Much simpler time back then.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Ah yes. The legendary covers of Zelda Theme and Comfortably Numb.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Summer Sonic 2020 Archive Vol. 2:

Day-1: Boom Boom Satellites(2009)、B’z(2009)、Coldplay(2008)、The Flaming Lips(2009)、Oasis(2005)、Sigur Ros(2012)、Sonic Youth(2009) ※出演順ではありません
    Day-2: Green Day(2012)、Nine Inch Nails(2009)、The Prodigy(2008)、Rihanna(2012)、X Japan(2011) ※出演順ではありません

2009 NIN set will be broadcast, probably full set, or it could be a concise 50-minute edit of highlights.
    Footage available for 24 hours.

*Think this probably deserves its own thread.
    I highly recommend people to watch the Boom Boom Satellites set from 2009. They're a Japanese band, but they wrote the lyrics in English.
    If you're into NIN, there's a good chance you'd love BBS as well. Their lead singer, Michiyuki Kawashima, passed away in 2016, but their body of work is worth checking out.
    Of course Flaming Lips 2009 & Sigur Ros' 2012 sets will be highlights from Day 1 as well.
    Day 2 is quite underwhelming apart from NIN to me. If you're into Japanese rock, X would be worth your time.
    I miss Flint but their live set is to be experienced imo, its essence was never really captured on film.
    Are these full performances?!?!?! Cuz fuck me, I wanna see The Prodigy! Only saw clips from it.
    You didn't like World's On Fire? I love the Brixton '97 footage. Wish they released the whole show. Even World's On Fire is an edited down concert film. Chopped a few tracks. But, yea, it's nothing like really being in a crowd during The Prodigy blowing the roof off. I miss that feeling.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-20-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Are these full performances?!?!?! Cuz fuck me, I wanna see The Prodigy! Only saw clips from it.
    It's likely that these are just highlights, what was originally broadcast. For NIN, that was 4 songs over 16 minutes. For The Prodigy, it was 3 songs over 14 minutes. In fact, you can see the song copyright-matching information in the YouTube video description already. It doesn't have NIN, but it does have the Prodigy songs: Breathe, Firestarter, SMBU; the same 3 songs as originally broadcast.

It will be nice to get them in better quality though.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    For NIN, that was 4 songs over 16 minutes.
    But do we have even this footage in better-than-youtube quality? It's not in the archive

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    But do we have even this footage in better-than-youtube quality? It's not in the archive
    I have it in letterboxed MPEG-2 format, but it's very middling quality. I expect that this will be better, coming directly from the broadcast masters.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's likely that these are just highlights, what was originally broadcast. For NIN, that was 4 songs over 16 minutes. For The Prodigy, it was 3 songs over 14 minutes. In fact, you can see the song copyright-matching information in the YouTube video description already. It doesn't have NIN, but it does have the Prodigy songs: Breathe, Firestarter, SMBU; the same 3 songs as originally broadcast.

It will be nice to get them in better quality though.
    I could've sworn they also broadcasted the track World's On Fire

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The Day 1 broadcast so far is just highlights. NIN tomorrow.
    Which is a shame, but it's at least in 1080p HD so we now have it in better quality.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    You didn't like World's On Fire? I love the Brixton '97 footage. Wish they released the whole show. Even World's On Fire is an edited down concert film. Chopped a few tracks. But, yea, it's nothing like really being in a crowd during The Prodigy blowing the roof off. I miss that feeling.
    i saw prodigy live in 97 while on a significant amount of speed, and have yet to see a single video or audio clip that can even come close to replicating the experience of being smack dab in the middle of the pit/dance party/crowd surfing mayhem of that set. sometimes i miss being a teenager, not often, but sometimes.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    The Day 1 broadcast so far is just highlights. NIN tomorrow.
    Which is a shame, but it's at least in 1080p HD so we now have it in better quality.
    I noticed that the HD quality for Sonic Youth and The Flaming Lips looks a little weaker and more artifact-y compared to the HD of Boom Boom Satellites and B’z (all from Summer Sonic 2009), so let’s hope that NIN’s performance falls on the better end of that visual quality spectrum.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    here's the NIN part:

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Yup that is a nice upgrade

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Thank goodness. Busy day and totally forgot about this!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Yup that is a nice upgrade
    Well, unfortunately, this is a mixed bag. On the one hand, the HD footage is a nice upgrade. On the other hand, there is some really weird stuff going on with it. There are a LOT of camera angles where the footage has a lot of ghosting. The ghosting is a result of frame blending, and results in frames that look like this. The reason for frame blending is if you were converting from one frame rate to another. The YouTube broadcast is delivered in 30p, so the original broadcast was probably a standard 60i. I can't imagine what they would have been shooting in that would have required converting/frame blending to 60i. Even weirder, most of the frame blended footage looks like it's upscaled SD. It would be really weird to be shooting broadcast SD in something other than 480i60, so no frame rate conversion should have been needed. The native 1080i60 shots from some camera angles look really good, especially during MotP. So I dunno what's going on with the camera angles with the frame blending.

I noticed this ghosting on my SD capture of the original broadcast from 2009. I just chalked it up to the capture or some other conversion issue. But apparently, it's endemic to the broadcast master. A shame.

None of the other 2009 performances from the Day 1 footage yesterday had this weird hybrid of camera footage and frame blending issues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, unfortunately, this is a mixed bag. On the one hand, the HD footage is a nice upgrade. On the other hand, there is some really weird stuff going on with it. There are a LOT of camera angles where the footage has a lot of ghosting. The ghosting is a result of frame blending, and results in frames that look like this. The reason for frame blending is if you were converting from one frame rate to another. The YouTube broadcast is delivered in 30p, so the original broadcast was probably a standard 60i. I can't imagine what they would have been shooting in that would have required converting/frame blending to 60i. Even weirder, most of the frame blended footage looks like it's upscaled SD. It would be really weird to be shooting broadcast SD in something other than 480i60, so no frame rate conversion should have been needed. The native 1080i60 shots from some camera angles look really good, especially during MotP. So I dunno what's going on with the camera angles with the frame blending.

I noticed this ghosting on my SD capture of the original broadcast from 2009. I just chalked it up to the capture or some other conversion issue. But apparently, it's endemic to the broadcast master. A shame.

None of the other 2009 performances from the Day 1 footage yesterday had this weird hybrid of camera footage and frame blending issues.

What songs were played, it says private for me

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrickooo View Post
    I think it was MotP and Survivalism.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I think it was MotP and Survivalism.
    Wish was in there, too. I can't watch it anymore either, it says video is Private for me as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It was March of the Pigs, Wish, Survivalism, and The Hand That Feeds.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    It was only available for 24 hours. A rip will show up on ninlive eventually.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Jehnny Beth on what's in my bag. Shows off a couple NIN vinyl's right at the start.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Shows off a couple NIN vinyl's right at the start.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Oh shit, I triggered the beast.......

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I just got this fuzz pedal from Germany. It’s a noisy little fucker (even came with earplugs and a couple stickers)...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Jehnny Beth on what's in my bag. Shows off a couple NIN vinyl's right at the start.
    vynil's*

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Precognitive NIN spotting... August 19th @ 10pm "The First 48" Two-thirds through the episode, the main Atlanta detective is clearly wearing a LIVE_WITH_TEETH_2006 NIN tour shirt (the episode is ©2017).