Page 47 of 113 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 3385

Thread: Trump 2020-21 - Epilogue

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    If I went to a wedding and it was like this for ANY politician or celebrity or anything, I'd run away screaming.
    yes. this is weird at best. it’s not really about love or unity, it’s about owning the libs and getting attention. i put this up there with naming your baby “reznor”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    same. i keep getting triggered by the yard signs and bumper stickers. whhhy god why does he have any support whatsoever? it makes no sense. everything about him is unamerican.
    Like you just said above, pwning the libs is imo the majority of it. Sure, plenty of past Republicans share their views, but they still operated within the norms of politics. Trump's grotesque behavior just amplifies and encourages the basic tenet his cultists want to express, which is just FUCK YOU to the people that oppose them. They just want to antagonize. It's all part of the overarching idea that you have prolly seen often since 2016..."the cruelty is the point".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    everything about him is unamerican.
    I'd actually say it's VERY American. The worshiping of wealth and power in this country (from people who have it and from people who don't) is what brought us to this point. If we actually valued compassionate and intelligent people who want to make a difference in this world, Trumpy wouldn't stand a chance.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Is this where someone cites American Gods by Neil Gaiman?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'd actually say it's VERY American. The worshiping of wealth and power in this country (from people who have it and from people who don't) is what brought us to this point. If we actually valued compassionate and intelligent people who want to make a difference in this world, Trumpy wouldn't stand a chance.
    well, sure, but there's "America USA USA USA!" which is misguided jingoistic bullshit, and then there's the actual concepts that we claim to hold to as being "American" ideals: Inclusion, freedom of religion and speech, the central concepts that the constitution ostensibly should be protecting, the "American dream" that anyone should be able to succeed through hard work and determination...

We could say correctly that a lot of these are really just absurd ideals and pipe dreams, but if you say that those notions are "American," and that they define America as an ideal, then yes, Trump is the most Un-American thing you could imagine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I know it's behind a pay wall but...

"Trump Health Aide Alleges Broad Conspiracies and Warns of Armed Revolt

Michael Caputo, the assistant secretary of health for public affairs, told a Facebook audience without evidence that left-wing hit squads were being trained for insurrection, and he accused C.D.C. scientists of “sedition.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/u...gtype=Homepage

Wiki on him - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Caputo

I won't copy/paste all of the article, since NYTimes is a paid service and I'm sure it's against their policies, but I will paste some of the crazy shit he said...

“You understand that they’re going to have to kill me, and unfortunately, I think that’s where this is going,” Mr. Caputo, a Trump loyalist installed by the White House in April, told followers in a video he hosted live on his personal Facebook page.

“I don’t like being alone in Washington,” he said, describing “shadows on the ceiling in my apartment, there alone, shadows are so long.” He then ran through a series of conspiracy theories, culminating in a prediction that Mr. Trump will win re-election but his Democratic opponent, Joseph R. Biden Jr., will refuse to concede.

“And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin,” he said. “The drills that you’ve seen are nothing.” He added: “If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

Mr. Caputo on Sunday complained on Facebook that he was under siege by the media and said that his physical health was in question and his “mental health has definitely failed.”

His job is to coordinate the messaging of an 80,000-person department that functions as the center of the American public health bureaucracy and includes the Food and Drug Administration, the C.D.C. and the National Institutes of Health, which lead the government’s pandemic response.

Last edited by d1stinct; 09-14-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    his “mental health has definitely failed.”

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Vindman interview in The Atlantic.. VERY good.

I ask Vindman the key question: Does he believe that Trump is an asset of Russian intelligence?
    “President Trump should be considered to be a useful idiot and a fellow traveler, which makes him an unwitting agent of Putin,” he says. Useful idiot is a term commonly used to describe dupes of authoritarian regimes; fellow traveler, in Vindman’s description, is a person who shares Putin’s loathing for democratic norms.

But do you think Russia is blackmailing Trump? “They may or may not have dirt on him, but they don’t have to use it,” he says. “They have more effective and less risky ways to employ him. He has aspirations to be the kind of leader that Putin is, and so he admires him. He likes authoritarian strongmen who act with impunity, without checks and balances. So he’ll try to please Putin.”

Vindman continues, “In the Army we call this ‘free chicken,’ something you don’t have to work for—it just comes to you. This is what the Russians have in Trump: free chicken.”

[...]

Ultimately, he says, he wants to put his knowledge of authoritarianism to good use, “before it’s too late.”

“Authoritarianism is able to take hold not because you have a strong set of leaders who are forcing their way,” he says. “It’s more about the fact that we can give away our democracy. In Hungary and Turkey today, in Nazi Germany, those folks gave away their democracy, by being complacent.”

He goes on, “Truth is a victim in this administration, I think it’s Orwellian—the ultimate goal of this president is to get you to disbelieve what you’ve seen and what you’ve heard. My goal now is to remind people of this.”
    Last edited by allegro; 09-15-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    speaking of Russia.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    And, if I recall correctly, it's not the first time he's used Russian military footage. Oh well. Must just be a crazy coincidence!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    And, if I recall correctly, it's not the first time he's used Russian military footage. Oh well. Must just be a crazy coincidence!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, this was really intensely weird...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    In the interest of self-care I'm just going to make sure I never read that tweet again and will scroll it off-screen for the duration of this page.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    I know it's behind a pay wall but...

"Trump Health Aide Alleges Broad Conspiracies and Warns of Armed Revolt

Michael Caputo, the assistant secretary of health for public affairs, told a Facebook audience without evidence that left-wing hit squads were being trained for insurrection, and he accused C.D.C. scientists of “sedition.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/u...gtype=Homepage

Wiki on him - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Caputo

I won't copy/paste all of the article, since NYTimes is a paid service and I'm sure it's against their policies, but I will paste some of the crazy shit he said...

“You understand that they’re going to have to kill me, and unfortunately, I think that’s where this is going,” Mr. Caputo, a Trump loyalist installed by the White House in April, told followers in a video he hosted live on his personal Facebook page.

“I don’t like being alone in Washington,” he said, describing “shadows on the ceiling in my apartment, there alone, shadows are so long.” He then ran through a series of conspiracy theories, culminating in a prediction that Mr. Trump will win re-election but his Democratic opponent, Joseph R. Biden Jr., will refuse to concede.

“And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin,” he said. “The drills that you’ve seen are nothing.” He added: “If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

Mr. Caputo on Sunday complained on Facebook that he was under siege by the media and said that his physical health was in question and his “mental health has definitely failed.”

His job is to coordinate the messaging of an 80,000-person department that functions as the center of the American public health bureaucracy and includes the Food and Drug Administration, the C.D.C. and the National Institutes of Health, which lead the government’s pandemic response.

I read that yesterday. I had double check it wasn't an Onion article. Dude really has lost his fucking mind.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    I read that yesterday. I had double check it wasn't an Onion article. Dude really has lost his fucking mind.
    And now, predictably, he's on his way out.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...s-staff-415206

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    woah woah woah, back tfu here...are you telling me that someone on the Trump team acknowledged they misspoke and aren't doubling down on their farcical statements?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I don't know how anyone can hear about designs for "Patriotic Education" and not think of the Hitler Youth, or hear about "Pro-America Curriculum" and not get chills.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/17/91412...JhGaimCt9DCqH0

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Despicable. JK doesn’t mention the PPE that he literally swooped in and STOLE from states that’d already paid for it.

Last edited by allegro; 09-18-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I checked - twice - and that def. says CBS, not The Onion.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so Trump's tweeting, and I'm not sure which thread it generally fits in. All I know is nothing he's talking about would belong in the COVID thread...

But naturally, he's vowing to fill the SCOTUS vacancy left by RBG "without delay."

Then he accused the governor of Virginia of supporting the execution of babies after they're born... but don't worry, he's got a big rally he's gonna throw in Virginia, TBA soon!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so Trump's tweeting, and I'm not sure which thread it generally fits in. All I know is nothing he's talking about would belong in the COVID thread...

But naturally, he's vowing to fill the SCOTUS vacancy left by RBG "without delay."

Then he accused the governor of Virginia of supporting the execution of babies after they're born... but don't worry, he's got a big rally he's gonna throw in Virginia, TBA soon!
    *insert image of highly intelligent extraterrestrial species flying past earth, listening in and pissing themselves laughing, then flying as far away as possible*

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

those fiends, waiting until the ninth month to be born.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    BRING IT

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The best part about Trump classifying the KKK as a terrorist group is there are more racists who won’t vote for him over that than there are black folks who will vote for him over it.

Plus classifying antifa as a terrorist organization just cancels out the KKK one. So in November not only will he lose the election and throw a hissy fit like we’ve never seen, but he will also have the egg on his face of not having the KKK support anymore.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    The best part about Trump classifying the KKK as a terrorist group is there are more racists who won’t vote for him over that than there are black folks who will vote for him over it.

Plus classifying antifa as a terrorist organization just cancels out the KKK one. So in November not only will he lose the election and throw a hissy fit like we’ve never seen, but he will also have the egg on his face of not having the KKK support anymore.
    The KKK being classified as a terrorist group needed to happen. I'm kind of surprised that hadn't happened earlier.

Antifa's a weird one though. Is he trying to set up a false equivalency? Or is he looking for excuses to deploy his secret police?